PDA

View Full Version : Good Cleats for big boots, where to buy?

PlayDoh
12-20-2017, 04:12 PM
So I wear Baffin Ice Bears or Titans most of the time, and even my sorels have no luck with any of the cleats I've bought, staying on. Now I've looked through the 5 million on Amazon, and the only ones that look perfect are $60-$100+. I'd rather not drop that much on a set, and most are the Cramp-on type.
The issue I have is the toe or heal slipping off. I've used string and zip ties but they always come off. I might have it licked with these velcro strips I got, that can be chained together.
Yet I'd love to hear of a pair I can grab that do the trick. Like ones that have straps that go over your foot, and as a bonus one from heal to front.

TROLLER
12-20-2017, 04:20 PM
I bought a pair at Wall Mart they are like a sandle that you step into and velcro fasten both toe and heal, the cleats are very good. Cost around 30 bucks but well worth the money. If you lose some cleats they sell small packs of them at the Fishn Hole.

Dweb
12-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Fire a handful of #8 sheet metal screws into your soles , free

blgoodbrand1
12-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Rip’s Cleats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSR_RAT
12-20-2017, 04:29 PM
I picked ups pair of cleats called yaktracks at cabelas in Xl, I had the same issue I wear a pair of Baffin work boots in size 10.5 and this style has a Velcro strap that goes over the top of your foot as well as stretching into the bottom of the boot. I walked all over lac la nonne Saturday with no snow cover and they work beautifully never came off even a little, I highly recommend them.

SamSteele
12-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Rip’s Cleats

These are what they use on the Kearl site up north. They are pretty universal and easy to put on and off. If you aren’t using them you just move them to the top of the boot.

A couple pairs have made it into my ice tackle box.

Game Hunter
12-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Fire a handful of #8 sheet metal screws into your soles , free

Hex head down on ice, screw into your thick soles. Works great, have. Been using them for years. Just drill them out and replace when worn down.

coyoteman
12-20-2017, 07:26 PM
So I wear Baffin Ice Bears or Titans most of the time, and even my sorels have no luck with any of the cleats I've bought, staying on. Now I've looked through the 5 million on Amazon, and the only ones that look perfect are $60-$100+. I'd rather not drop that much on a set, and most are the Cramp-on type.
The issue I have is the toe or heal slipping off. I've used string and zip ties but they always come off. I might have it licked with these velcro strips I got, that can be chained together.
Yet I'd love to hear of a pair I can grab that do the trick. Like ones that have straps that go over your foot, and as a bonus one from heal to front.

Cabelas --I recently bought a set there that has a top strap ,useing them on a lake side trap line lots of miles so far so good----

scesfiremedic
12-20-2017, 08:14 PM
I have a pair of these http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=40911&cat=2,51676,40911

Don’t know if they would fit your boots, but they work well

I have also used the Yak Trax but probably won’t fit your application

https://yaktrax.implus.com

npauls
12-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Hex head sheet metal screws are the best thing I have found. I have a pair of boots just for ice fishing now with them in it. Never have to worry about falling on my head from my feet slipping out while on the ice.

huntsfurfish
12-20-2017, 11:02 PM
These! You wont be disappointed:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KOLD-KUTTER-RACING-TRACK-TIRE-ICE-STUDS-SCREWS-3-8-375-3-8-8-250-18-3080/231174973016?hash=item35d31a2658:g:FIcAAOxyWt5SXF9-&vxp=mtr

3/8 inch is what you want.
You get 250 enough for at least 4 pr of boots. You could also go in with another guy or two and split the cost.

Probably take 10 - 14 days though.

Edit: I bought through these guys and had no issues "oemcycle"

RACKER
12-20-2017, 11:03 PM
I just bought a pair from Canadian tire. I wear size 13 in a Baffin boot and they fit just fine. I can't remember the brand but look for the ones that come with a bunjee cord attached to them. They have worked great so far. Only 30 bucks.

PlayDoh
12-21-2017, 12:13 AM
Awesome guys, I'm set now. Never thought to look at Walmart. My local "super-center" doesn't carry anything like the city ones do. I'm guessing you got the Stabil-icer ones, which one of the models is exact to the "icer's" from Lee Valley.
I had doubts about the Yaktrack type of cleat, but I'll trust that account. The Rip's look good, yet I think I'd be on my ass without cleats all over the sole.

Not a chance I'd put screws in my Baffins, but its a great idea.

I'm sure I'll grab some that fit perfect, just in time for the snow to pile up, lol.

Thanks again.

The Fisherman Guy
12-21-2017, 11:17 AM
The screws in boots aren't all they are cracked up to be. Snow can build up on the bottom of the boot, if the conditions are right and render the traction control inoperable.

Kahtoola Microspikes are the best I've used, and have had the same set going on 7 years now. I can literally sprint on "oiled glass" ice, without an issue.

ORV
12-21-2017, 12:05 PM
I have a pair of these http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=40911&cat=2,51676,40911

Don’t know if they would fit your boots, but they work well

I have also used the Yak Trax but probably won’t fit your application

https://yaktrax.implus.com

I have them on a size 12

best of all I have tried. i.m.o.

Orv.

silver
12-21-2017, 12:29 PM
I have used the Yaktrax and out on open ground they are good but if you get around stairs or metal walk ways, they can tangle and trip you.

TylerThomson
12-21-2017, 12:57 PM
They make a boot stud now, very similar to a tire stud, that can be found at canadian tire in a kit that includes the bit to install them.

npauls
12-21-2017, 04:03 PM
The screws in boots aren't all they are cracked up to be. Snow can build up on the bottom of the boot, if the conditions are right and render the traction control inoperable.

Kahtoola Microspikes are the best I've used, and have had the same set going on 7 years now. I can literally sprint on "oiled glass" ice, without an issue.

I fish a lot on the ice and have been running screws for years. I have never once had a problem with snow or slush build up. I drill a ton of holes and constantly move most trips.

I could see if you put too many screws in it could be a problem with snow or slush build up.

PlayDoh
12-21-2017, 04:20 PM

I’m not sure how they figure they should be called Micro, they look like cramp-ons to me, lol.

I don’t want anything too aggressive personally. The cheap lil cleats work for me fine, if they would just stay on, or they sold them in sizes that fit boots.

I guess I was looking on the American .com Walmart site cause the .ca has only 1 or 2, and the website and app are almost useless to find them. Seems ironic the selection for ice cleats on the American store has ten times the products as us.

Dweb
12-21-2017, 04:25 PM
I fish a lot on the ice and have been running screws for years. I have never once had a problem with snow or slush build up. I drill a ton of holes and constantly move most trips.

I could see if you put too many screws in it could be a problem with snow or slush build up.

Never had a problem I can tap dance accross a lake

SamSteele
12-21-2017, 05:45 PM
I think Rips Cleats are made in BC

needmoretoys
12-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Mark's has the Korker ones for a good price and they should fit the boots. I love my micro spikes also.

blgoodbrand1
12-21-2017, 08:42 PM
I think Rips Cleats are made in BC

Dawson Creek in fact.
I wear them everyday at work.

sundancedan
12-21-2017, 09:32 PM
I were size 18 shoes (presumably an equivalent size to your boots) and use these. http://icefish.com/cleats?product_id=239

They've never come off. I got them from Canadian Tire.

PlayDoh
12-21-2017, 10:02 PM
I were size 18 shoes (presumably an equivalent size to your boots) and use these. http://icefish.com/cleats?product_id=239

They've never come off. I got them from Canadian Tire.

Size 18? Must be fun shoe shopping. You must have gotten those cleats a while ago, all CT has are the rubber ones now.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171222/d5503f087adc663dd721d76effa174ed.jpg

Game Hunter
12-21-2017, 11:16 PM

Negative, I fish a ton. Never have had issues for years. I've got screws in my Irish sett elk trackers. Don't regret it.

sundancedan
12-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Size 18? Must be fun shoe shopping. You must have gotten those cleats a while ago, all CT has are the rubber ones now.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171222/d5503f087adc663dd721d76effa174ed.jpg

Yeah 2 years ago, I haven't seen them since either. Very difficult time findings how's! Unless online, but then you can't try them on.

bezzola
12-23-2017, 10:11 AM
My dad would run screws in his sorels

roofish
12-23-2017, 11:11 AM
all the roofers wear korker brand cleats.
$110 but they last forever. (they sell replacement spikes separately and they screw in with a wrench)
get em at most roofing supply stores. (think cabelas might carry them).
strap on, walk ice on a 45 degree angle, never come off.
not as heavy as ice climbers boots not as light as some of the other options listed in this post

Tigger72
12-23-2017, 01:18 PM
IceTrekkers got mine at MEC fantastic... use them ice fishing and river fishing in the winter and I wear size 12 sorels and no issue

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-243/ICETrekkers---Diamond-Grip#reviews

35 whelen
12-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Fishing hole had extra extra large really like them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

35 whelen
12-23-2017, 05:10 PM
They also fit my size 12 baffins

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

capper
12-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Can’t add any information to help you in your search for cleats. However my the left side of my body can confirm cleats are a must this year! Hoped off the sled and fell on my ass before I could even get unpacked.