PDA

View Full Version : Dash Cam- Has anyone 'HAD' to use it?

Ken07AOVette
12-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Friday I went North and while sitting and waiting for someone, another guy pulled into where I was parked and slammed into me. Once I pointed out the dashcam and said I had footage his expression changed. I will never have a vehicle without a dashcam.
Both insurance companies were great to deal with, they of course took responsibility for deductible and will cover my rental when the truck goes for repair.
2012 F350 Lariat: front bumper, fender, headlight, guess how much to replace everything.

WCTHEMI
12-22-2017, 10:26 PM
Guessing north of 5K. Hopefully you are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken07AOVette
12-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Guessing north of 5K. Hopefully you are ok.

I was parked! :sHa_shakeshout: Sitting there watching a movie, park lights on, all of a sudden it was very bright in the cab, and wham. It is funny, I didn't even lose my cool, kind of surprised myself!

Thanks neighbor. :)

Daslogster
12-22-2017, 10:37 PM
I installed one after a road rage incident and haven't needed it for myself yet but have provided video for a couple accidents witnessed. Video speaks volumes.

Termender
12-23-2017, 09:29 AM
I don't have an always on dash cam, however, my cell phone is mounted in such a way that it can and does do the same thing. The difference of course is, that I have to manually hit the 'record' button. I've used it a few times when I thought a situation was developing, but obviously, it is limited to manual activation.

Ken07AOVette
12-23-2017, 10:31 AM
It's not the same thing Termender, the dash cams have a 'record back' feature. If there is an incident, they save 30 seconds before the incident and continue for a preset time. They are always recording, even when parked so the parking lot incident feature is always active.
I have seen dashcams for $30, mine just have more features like wifi or bt connect, gps, etc.
Also, if someone crosses the yellow line aimed for your headlights when you are at highway speed you would have to cool as ice to have the forethought to turn on cell recording.

fallen1817
12-23-2017, 10:47 AM
I don't have an always on dash cam, however, my cell phone is mounted in such a way that it can and does do the same thing. The difference of course is, that I have to manually hit the 'record' button. I've used it a few times when I thought a situation was developing, but obviously, it is limited to manual activation.

Just an FYI, the way the legislation is written, you could be on the hook for a distracted driving ticket for hitting that "Record" button on your cell phone.

Since I know someone will dispute this...

115.1(1) Subject to this section and the regulations made under
section 115.5, no individual shall drive or operate a vehicle on a
highway while at the same time
(a) holding, viewing or manipulating a cellular telephone,
radio communication device or other communication
device that is capable of receiving or transmitting
telephone communication, electronic data, electronic mail
or text messages, or

Bushrat
12-23-2017, 10:53 AM
2012 F350 Lariat: front bumper, fender, headlight, guess how much to replace everything.

Diesel I assume, if not hit hard enough to deploy airbags, did it get the rad, condenser, oil cooler, rad support, fan, etc., hard to say anywhere from $5000 - $15.000 about the same as your average highway deer hit.

Ken07AOVette
12-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Diesel I assume, if not hit hard enough to deploy airbags, did it get the rad, condenser, oil cooler, rad support, fan, etc., hard to say anywhere from $5000 - $15.000 about the same as your average highway deer hit.

Yessir. Most of the hit was right on the corner, headlight, bumper and I think tow hook took the brunt. Looking at the truck it is almost difficult to see the damage if you weren't specifically looking for it. I felt bad for the guy, but there was no damage to the truck at all prior to the incident, and I have been in talks with the dealer to trade it in on a 2018.

DiabeticKripple
12-23-2017, 11:52 AM
I use mine to post idiots that either break the law or do dumb stuff on YouTube.

Last night on a dual turn I was in the left lane, and buddy decided to turn into my lane squeezing me out. Good thing I was watching and hit the brakes.

Colin_r6
12-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Which cameras do you fellers have?

I'm shopping for one right now, lots of chafe to sort thru. Hoping to find one that works on capacitors instead of batteries. Would have made my life a bit easier a few weeks ago.

Ken07AOVette
12-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Blackvue 750S and Thinkware F750 both with dual cameras, one in the back window which is very easy to run the cable.
I have cheaper ones in the other trucks I don't use as much.

Twisted Canuck
12-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Well, as a complete and total aside, this thread got me thinking, so I did some browsing on Amazon. Lots of options there, and amazingly every single unit has 5 star ratings. And when you read the customer reviews, you quickly realize that English as a second language classes are not cutting it....:lol:

It seems like every review was written over seas by some employee of the manufacturer who maybe works in shipping, without getting ethnic specific.

So in reality, where does a person look for a good quality, decently priced unit with front and rear cams?

Ken07AOVette
12-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Well, as a complete and total aside, this thread got me thinking, so I did some browsing on Amazon. Lots of options there, and amazingly every single unit has 5 star ratings. And when you read the customer reviews, you quickly realize that English as a second language classes are not cutting it....:lol:

It seems like every review was written over seas by some employee of the manufacturer who maybe works in shipping, without getting ethnic specific.

So in reality, where does a person look for a good quality, decently priced unit with front and rear cams?

I have said it before, remember these words. Make a friend at Bestbuy. :)

Twisted Canuck
12-23-2017, 02:13 PM
I have said it before, remember these words. Make a friend at Bestbuy. :)

Check.

DiabeticKripple
12-23-2017, 02:16 PM
I have a DOD LS460w

Works good.

Ken07AOVette
12-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Or, let me know your budget and let me see what I can get you for same?

theoldguy
12-23-2017, 03:18 PM
Blackvue 750S and Thinkware F750 both with dual cameras, one in the back window which is very easy to run the cable.

Wow that Blackvue has some good reviews and obviously popular as no Best Buy has it - nor online priced at $199. Will have to keep looking -thx for the tip Ken.

DisplacedCaper
12-23-2017, 03:24 PM
I don’t have one personally, though I keep meaning to get a couple.
But I used them professionally for a few years. Always fun to let the other guys face change after he’s done bs’ing in front of the police and you drop the “I got it all on camera”.

brslk
12-23-2017, 05:57 PM
I think of mine like my snow blower. Ever since I bought a snow blower, I've rarely used it.
I've had a dash cam for about 5 years, driving all day and have yet to record anything worth while on it.
It's like insurance against snow and accidents.

The one I use is '4sight'. I think it was about $100 at the time.
Good video quality and has auto on/off with motion sensor and good night view.
I'd buy it again.

sewerrat
12-24-2017, 08:52 AM

The thinkware will be on sale at staples tonight, probably a different model than yours but none the less.

https://www.staples.ca/en/Thinkware-X330-Full-HD-Dash-Cam-with-2-7-LCD-Viewfinder/product_2408867_2-CA_1_20001?cm_mmc=AFF-_-SBD-_-LinkShare-CAqD7bLWUPI-_-1-_-10&cvosrc=affiliate.rakuten.CAqD7bLWUPI&cvo_cid=482503&cvo_crid=1&siteID=CAqD7bLWUPI-zKShmdY.BQCVr6Aler89QA&akamai-feo=off

Ken07AOVette
12-24-2017, 09:54 AM
The thinkware will be on sale at staples tonight, probably a different model than yours but none the less.

https://www.staples.ca/en/Thinkware-X330-Full-HD-Dash-Cam-with-2-7-LCD-Viewfinder/product_2408867_2-CA_1_20001?cm_mmc=AFF-_-SBD-_-LinkShare-CAqD7bLWUPI-_-1-_-10&cvosrc=affiliate.rakuten.CAqD7bLWUPI&cvo_cid=482503&cvo_crid=1&siteID=CAqD7bLWUPI-zKShmdY.BQCVr6Aler89QA&akamai-feo=off

this is the one I have, with the 2nd external camera
https://www.staples.ca/en/thinkware-f750-full-hd-dash-cam-with-safety-camera-alerts-and-wi-fi/product_1971312_1-CA_1_20001

tullfan
12-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Baught one for my wife for X-mas. She’s been looking for a while. Settled on the Wasp P.O.D.
Reviews were good and looks to be a solid unit. Retails for 265. I bought it through work so it was not as expensive. Hope she never needs to use it.
Tullfan

saddleup
12-24-2017, 06:07 PM
How did we ever get by without one??????!!!:)

Ken07AOVette
12-24-2017, 06:56 PM
How did we ever get by without one??????!!!:)

Insurance, Doctor, investment manager, teacher, truck, ABS, 4 wheel drive, horse, gun, cell phone, telephone, airplane, computer, fax machine, penicillin, antibiotics,

How indeed.

roper1
12-25-2017, 08:33 PM
The other guys insurance is going to pay your deductible?

Ken07AOVette
12-25-2017, 08:45 PM
The other guys insurance is going to pay your deductible?

Absolutely.
There is zero chance I would pay it.
Fault is always 100% of the person not in the parked vehicle, trouble is always finding the person that hit you. In this case I was sitting there, got it on camera, and got him to sign a note stating he had done it.
Also his insurance company said immediately they were covering it, but I know from experience they are not always that easy to get along with.

roper1
12-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Yes, I'd be surprised if they actually cover it in the final tally. It is, after all, called a deductible.

Ken07AOVette
12-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Yes, I'd be surprised if they actually cover it in the final tally. It is, after all, called a deductible.

Ok.

Sundancefisher
12-25-2017, 11:22 PM

If at fault or shared fault or no fault you pay a deductible. If it was someone's else's fault and they have insurance their insurance pays for damages and their is no deductible payable by you.

.257Weatherby
12-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Not to side track your thread Ken, but here isa good reason to have a dash cam to assist others should the need arise.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3867483/surrey-trailer-dolly-wheels/
Rob

Ken07AOVette
12-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Not to side track your thread Ken, but here isa good reason to have a dash cam to assist others should the need arise.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3867483/surrey-trailer-dolly-wheels/
Rob

haha wow!!! Can you imagine?

Twisted Canuck
12-26-2017, 10:10 AM
haha wow!!! Can you imagine?

I lived in Mexico for almost a year in the early 90s, and traveled a bit in south America....seen some crazy things there, and the dolly under the axle fits right in. I used to get the creepy crawlies seeing cars and trucks tipped up and balanced on offside wheels, propped up with 2x4s, pallets, old logs...and guy would be sitting or laying underneath working on it, welding, cutting, wrenching....that is the poor man's 'lift' down there. Saw it a lot. Scary stuff. Seeing vehicles with four mismatched tires (as in tire size) was common, I saw one where they didn't have the right wheel for the bolt pattern so they just drilled holes to fit.....wheel was so off center on hub, as it drove it was an elliptical pattern! Rear corner was going up and down 3" every wheel rotation, and this was at highway speed! Wish I'd had a dash cam for that one.

Deb
01-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Hi, Ken

I purchased the same setup that you have, Thinkware 750 (front and back) and the only hard-wiring kit that was offered by Thnkware (Dashcam Hardwiring Cable). The end of the cable is wrong and the box says compatible with every Thinkware model except 750 - how did you hardwire yours or did you get a different cable?

Thanks,
Deb

P.S. Two days after installing on windshield, BAM! rock cracks windshield!!!

Ken07AOVette
01-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Hi, Ken

I purchased the same setup that you have, Thinkware 750 (front and back) and the only hard-wiring kit that was offered by Thnkware (Dashcam Hardwiring Cable). The end of the cable is wrong and the box says compatible with every Thinkware model except 750 - how did you hardwire yours or did you get a different cable?

Thanks,
Deb

P.S. Two days after installing on windshield, BAM! rock cracks windshield!!!

It's a different camera. Some have a micro usb some have a micro coax. Just have to match the end

Deb
01-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Yep - they must have put the wrong one in the box - the picture on the box shows the connector we need - the cable in the box hasn't got that connector.

Thanks for the reply,
Deb