"MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,
AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT."

Thank you and stay safe.

owlhoot
12-23-2017, 11:44 AM
Well Done, Thank You:)

The Cook
12-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all those serving.

59whiskers
12-23-2017, 09:12 PM
Thankful for all those that have served and continue to serve to protect our freedom that seems to be taken for for granted by lots of Canadians recently. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

TomP
12-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Thank you to all the men and woman defending our freedom..all to often we forget that so many are sacrificing so much for us

ex811
12-23-2017, 09:34 PM
I spent many a Christmas away from home and family.
But like the poem say's, "this life is my choice"
...and I don't regret a day that I spent in Service to My Country

Pretty much every Veteran I know will say the same thing.

Zip
12-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Merry Christmas to all the brave whom keep us safe...the poem I've read before but it never gets old..still brings a slight tear to this old guys cheek, Thank You all, for everything...
Zip:)

browning21
12-23-2017, 10:36 PM
God bless all member past and present, thank you for your service.

recce43
12-24-2017, 07:34 AM
canadian soldier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have this one on my door so I see it everytime I enter my room.

He is profane and irreverent, living as he does in a world full of capriciousness, frustration and disillusionment. He is perhaps the best-educated of his kind in history, but will rarely accord respect on the basis of mere degrees or titles. He speaks his own dialect, often incomprehensible to the layman.

He can be cold, cruel, even brutal and is frequently insensitive. Killing is his profession and he strives very hard to become even more skilled at it. His model is the grey, muddy, hard-eyed slayer who took the untakeable at Vimy Ridge, endured the unendurable in the Scheldt and held the unholdable at Kapyong. He is a superlative practical diplomat; his efforts have brought peace to countless countries around the world. He is capable of astonishing acts of kindness, warmth and generosity. He will give you his last sip of water on a parched day and his last food to a hungry child; he will give his very life for the society he loves.

Danger and horror are his familiars and his sense of humour is accordingly sardonic. What the unknowing take as callousness is his defence against the unimaginable; he whistles through a career filled with graveyards.

His ethos is one of self-sacrifice and duty. He is sinfully proud of himself, of his unit and of his country and he is unique in that his commitment to his society is Total. No other trade or profession dreams of demanding such of its members and none could successfully try.

He loves his family dearly, sees them all too rarely and as often as not loses them to the demands of his profession. Loneliness is the price he accepts for the privilege of serving.

He accounts discomfort as routine and the search for personal gain as beneath him; he has neither understanding of nor patience for those motivated by self-interest, politics or money. His loyalty can be absolute, but it must be purchased. Paradoxically, the only coin accepted for that payment is also loyalty.

He devours life with big bites, knowing that each bite might be his last and his manners suffer thereby. He would rather die regretting the things he did than the ones he dared not try. He earns a good wage by most standards and, given the demands on him, is woefully underpaid.

He can be arrogant, thoughtless and conceited, but will spend himself, sacrifice everything for total strangers in places he cannot even pronounce. He considers political correctness a podium for self-righteous fools, but will die fighting for the rights of anyone he respects or pities.

He is a philosopher and a drudge, an assassin and a philanthropist, a servant and a leader, a disputer and a mediator, a Nobel Laureate peacekeeper and the Queen's Hitman, a brawler and a healer, best friend and worst enemy. He is a rock, a goat, a fool, a sage, a drunk, a provider, a cynic and a romantic dreamer. Above it all, he is a hero for our time. You, pale stranger, sleep well at night only because he exists for you, the citizen who has never met him, has perhaps never thought of him and may even despise him. He is both your child and your guardian. His devotion to you is unwavering. He is a Canadian soldier.

--author unknown--

260 Rem
12-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Merry Christmas to all serving our country with special appreciation for those doing so away from their family.

Red Bullets
12-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Wishing a quiet calm Christmas and New Year to all troops.

https://media.giphy.com/media/4m8Dw0xUmTdkc/giphy.gif

Joe Black
12-24-2017, 03:43 PM
All the best to all soldier past and present in this holiday season.

Viking Caliber
12-29-2017, 09:18 PM
Sorry it took me a while to post this. Had a relative of mine passed away just before Christmas.

Hope you all had a merry Christmas!!

To 58 the cat

Thank you for posting that. Great poem