PDA

View Full Version : Stocking list

bowness
05-17-2009, 01:24 PM
I was wondering why Fish and Wildlife dont update the stocking list more frequently this time of year. I get checked by enforcement a couple of times every long weekend, why not more money communicating with the fishermen (that pay for licensing) and not generating revenue by ticketing them for barbs?!?

The author of it is J. Wagner and you would think he could update it at least once a week to let us know whats been stocked so we can get some fishing in with our kids before the creeks open...In this age of technology can't that be done better? Just a thought...I should contact them myself I geuss.

Tabers Best
05-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I agree it should be updated more often. Less coffee and cigarettes Mr. Wagner.

spurly
05-17-2009, 02:03 PM
it was just updated to may of this year, check it out.

bowness
05-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Maybe we have different ideas of "just updated". I see people looking for info on stocked lakes all over this forum and changing a digital file on their website by adding some text is a 15 minute job. They must be stocking lakes daily at this time of year. We have a short fishing season and I have kids who really enjoy the ease of stocked lakes. I wanted to go out this weekend but how can I be sure certain lakes have been stocked? Since the list was last updated on May 6 th I' m sure many more have been stocked. It just seems a quick fix that would make anglers happy and give them access to fisheries that supply recreation for the younger anglers and reduce pressure on wild stocks. Seems win win to me.

Kyle
05-17-2009, 02:30 PM
I was wondering why in the hell somebody would ever want to go target the 8 inch stockers fresh off the truck? throw a pickeral rig with marshmellows 10 feet from the stocking truck...sounds like fun?:lol::lol:
I bet they would taste delicious as well, sort of like fish pellets? :lol::lol:

Bear
05-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Maybe we have different ideas of "just updated". I see people looking for info on stocked lakes all over this forum and changing a digital file on their website by adding some text is a 15 minute job. They must be stocking lakes daily at this time of year. We have a short fishing season and I have kids who really enjoy the ease of stocked lakes. I wanted to go out this weekend but how can I be sure certain lakes have been stocked? Since the list was last updated on May 6 th I' m sure many more have been stocked. It just seems a quick fix that would make anglers happy and give them access to fisheries that supply recreation for the younger anglers and reduce pressure on wild stocks. Seems win win to me.

Just pick a pond and go fishing. There should be fish left over from last year.

I am sure they are busy stocking lakes and will update as soon as they can. I know from past experience that even if you have a secretary entering the data, the paper work can take some time to get to her.

I am concerned with what appears to be someone asking for someone to spend more time in the office than in the field.

spurly
05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
In my opinion I think it would be wrong to update, on a weekly basis, these fish need time to acclimate. why would you want to inform thousands of people, so they could fish the lake out in a weekend. Take your kid out reguardless, wheather the lake is freshly stocked or not.Its about spending time, catching a few is a bonus.I think, they put out stocking info, to frequent.

Yellowtail
05-17-2009, 03:05 PM
In my opinion I think it would be wrong to update, on a weekly basis, these fish need time to acclimate. why would you want to inform thousands of people, so they could fish the lake out in a weekend. Take your kid out reguardless, wheather the lake is freshly stocked or not.Its about spending time, catching a few is a bonus.I think, they put out stocking info, to frequent.

+1

bowness
05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Do your job in the best way possible. We all have responsibilities and cant just act like kids and take off to go "in the field" whenever we want. We can always ask for better or nothing would ever change. I thought that was one of the reasons we have these types of forums?

I am concerned at what appears to be someone who is questioning my desire to get the best out of sustainable development? I work as a teacher and there is constant pressure on us to integrate the use of technology into our courses. I even have a website for students to get assignments and homework. I had to spent some time in the "office" and not the field to accomplish that.

Also ponds in Alberta (most of the small stocked ones) winterkill so its not just a case of "picking a pond and go fishing". They would be completely dead. Thats one of the reasons an updated stocking list is important. You seem to have lost the entire point. You did however come up with some excuses that I may hear when I talk to them.

bowness
05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
My guess is you dont have kids. People seem to lack understanding and become elitist about how and what they fish for. That divides anglers into groups based on slight variations and leads to conflict. My kids (and myself) enjoy some easy catching in stocked ponds. They are too small to follow me when I walk and wade creeks for cutties and browns and have not yet mastered casting in bushes and trees.

Also most aquacultured fish are fed pellets so that is what the majority of shoppers buy and consume. Must taste just like pellets... Thats quite a high horse your on, better not fall off.

baitfisher83
05-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Some people are just all about "size" lmfao.....

brook trout
05-20-2009, 05:29 PM
beaumont pond does not appear on that 2009 list. somthins wrong:mad3:

mulecrazy
05-20-2009, 05:40 PM
still early dude. May not have got to it yet. The ice was around quite late this year.

brook trout
05-23-2009, 09:27 PM
i went there in april theres no ice.

thundergrey
05-24-2009, 08:56 AM

+2 some people are too based on results. I go out and enjoy they day at the lake and teach that to the kids. Yesterday I went out and I got a little perch, but the high light of my day was watching a loon present to a potential mate.