PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Fishing?

Fishing4Trophies
12-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Heading out to Phoenix in a couple days and have no idea on places or even what to use. Help would be great! Thanks

Tfng
12-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Try lake Pleasant for striped bass. I went with "Striper Snatcher" and had a great time! A bit of googling left me wondering if he was still guiding though. There are other guides on the lake.

Fishing4Trophies
12-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Try lake Pleasant for striped bass. I went with "Striper Snatcher" and had a great time! A bit of googling left me wondering if he was still guiding though. There are other guides on the lake.

Do you need a boat? Or can it offer any good shore fishing?

Tfng
12-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Do you need a boat? Or can it offer any good shore fishing?

We had a boat so I'm unsure about shore fishing. I did see a couple fishing from shore.

Fishing4Trophies
12-24-2017, 01:37 PM
We had a boat so I'm unsure about shore fishing. I did see a couple fishing from shore.

Thank you!

Fishing4Trophies
12-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Ever try the Salt?

Tfng
12-24-2017, 03:48 PM
I have not. Try it and let us know!

Fishing4Trophies
12-24-2017, 06:08 PM
I have not. Try it and let us know!

Sure will, I will update a soon as I can

Fishing4Trophies
12-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Yesterday I went out to try my luck on some local areas. I started fishing an urban pond just outside the phoenix zoo and caught a very nice Channel Cat. Drove down to Saguaro Lake and had no bites nor seen no fish activity whatsoever. Finally went fishing the Lower Salt River below the dam and caught 30+ Largemouth Bass and a few nice Green Sunfish

Tfng
01-01-2018, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the update, I'll have to try the Salt if I'm down there again. It sounds like a good time!

Okotokian
01-02-2018, 02:37 PM
Been thinking about wintering down south and I know a lot of folks go to the phoenix area. But for me, I have to have some bodies of water nearby where I can fish from my boat (so not little urban ponds, etc.). Is there any such thing near Phoenix (say within 45 minutes)? Also, are the rivers accessible and fishable? Everything I read on the Gila seems to suggest it often disappears. Thanks! :)

Fishing4Trophies
01-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Been thinking about wintering down south and I know a lot of folks go to the phoenix area. But for me, I have to have some bodies of water nearby where I can fish from my boat (so not little urban ponds, etc.). Is there any such thing near Phoenix (say within 45 minutes)? Also, are the rivers accessible and fishable? Everything I read on the Gila seems to suggest it often disappears. Thanks! :)

There is Tempe Town Lake, depending on where you choose to stay, the lake can be a short 5-10 minute drive. I'm not to sure if you are allowed motorized boats so you will have to look more into that. As I mentioned before, Saguaro lake is a great place to take a boat and fish the weed beds that you can find all across the lake. Again, depending on where you stay, it takes 50 mins. to drive from downtown Phoenix to Saguaro lake. Saguaro lake holds Gills, Largemouth, big Carp, Yellow Bass, and there has even been people who have caught Pacu in there!

As for the rivers, I have not personally fished the Gila but I do know it is not a river you can boat. The Salt River is located right by Saguaro lake and can be floated down by raft. This little beautiful river is personally my favorite place to go to in the Phoenix area. It holds Bass, Flathead & Channel Cats, almost all species of Sunfish, they stock it with Rainbows a few times over winter and can bring some great angling, and you could get a chance to catch the rare Sonoran Sucker.

If you are willing to drive out a little further, Oak Creek located in Sedona, is a small breath taking place to fish, it holds some monster native Browns, stocked Rainbows, and on the lower reaches, expect to find the warm water species.

One more thing, the SRP canal system that runs all throughout the Phoenix area can offer tremendous fishing. I have seen and caught 20+ pound Grass Carp outta there. Bass, Catfish, Tilapia, and Koi can also be found inhabiting the canal waters.

Hope This Helps! :)

-Fishing4Trophies