PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis/joint pain in dog

buckbrush
12-24-2017, 09:38 PM
Hello all.

Wondering if anyone has had any luck with treating or dealing with arthritis in large breed dogs.

My buddy Jethro is a 200 Lb St. Bernard he is 7 years old and has been having joint pain for the last few years. We have been giving him glucosamine daily and medicam as needed.

Recently he has been having more troubles standing up and has been eating less. Just now he could not get up the four steps to come into the house. I had to physically help him into the house.

I know we are trying to avoid the inevitable but I want to try what we can before even thinking about that.

Klondike
12-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Our little guy has responded quite well to glucosamine pills and a product called extend. Here is their URL https://extendpets.ca/dog_joint_care

Gray Wolf
12-24-2017, 10:10 PM
As you probably know, St. Bernards are a Very short-lived breed. Some of the more recent studies put the average lifespan for St. Bernards at ~ 7 years.

Given the meds you are using, you're doing the right things. But eventually (now?) even that won't be enough. I hate to say this (I'm a long-time major dog lover), but don't put your love of having your dog, ahead of what's best and kindest for it.

I had to put my own dog to sleep two days ago, so I know how it feels. :(

Colin_r6
12-24-2017, 10:57 PM
Lots of glucoseamine in Chicken feet I hear.

Can get them at some grocery stores.

Dog_River
12-25-2017, 12:15 AM
I had a Chessie with sever hip problems and I used this product. It works
http://www.zoomdogsupplements.com/Hunt-Dog-Hunt-Performance-Joint-Formula-90-ct-_p_3.html

Trap Shy
12-25-2017, 04:15 AM
My 13 year old lab had the same trouble had him on glucosamine for the last 3 years with bad hips and other problems I had to have him put down this week .Believe it when they say these animals are the same as family .

kens
12-25-2017, 07:22 AM
Previcox has helped our shepherd a lot. No apparent side affects, itis certainly better than seeing the side affect of giving him nothing!

buckbrush
12-25-2017, 08:05 AM
As you probably know, St. Bernards are a Very short-lived breed. Some of the more recent studies put the average lifespan for St. Bernards at ~ 7 years.

Given the meds you are using, you're doing the right things. But eventually (now?) even that won't be enough. I hate to say this (I'm a long-time major dog lover), but don't put your love of having your dog, ahead of what's best and kindest for it.

I had to put my own dog to sleep two days ago, so I know how it feels. :(

I have to agree with you on that one. As much as I don't want to go that route as he is my 5 year old's best friend and a big part of the family. I don't want to extend his suffering any more. On the other hand I don't want to put him to sleep if I can find a way for him to live a comfortable life for a longer time.

conan
12-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Hello all.

Wondering if anyone has had any luck with treating or dealing with arthritis in large breed dogs.

My buddy Jethro is a 200 Lb St. Bernard he is 7 years old and has been having joint pain for the last few years. We have been giving him glucosamine daily and medicam as needed.

Recently he has been having more troubles standing up and has been eating less. Just now he could not get up the four steps to come into the house. I had to physically help him into the house.

I know we are trying to avoid the inevitable but I want to try what we can before even thinking about that.

Hi there, I'm no expert but we have Danes and lost our old giant to cancer so I understand your concern and devotion. We have three large Danes now. Our big male is 225. We give him MSM and lots of Dane folks do the same with their babies. MSM is available in the health food store. It works wonders to help with joint pain. It will take quite a while to see a change, up to a month. Our boy was struggling this fall and we upped his MSM and in no time, he was bouncing around and getting up without a struggle. It's not expensive so worth a try. Metacam is good but it's just managing and masking his pain. We also see Dr. Steven Marsden at Edmonton Holistic Vet clinic. He's a genius and if you can, it would be great if you could get him to look at your baby. They have lots of natural options and can help you help your big guy live the best possible twilight with you.

Night hawk
12-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Dr. Stretch @ spruce grove vet clinic. Combination of Meloxicam & thiriod med
Synthroid gave our golden a new lease on life.:sHa_shakeshout:

IronNoggin
12-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Our Big Boy is going through pretty much what you describe.
He is a 150 lb 1/2 Timber Wolf, 1/2 Alaskan Husky, who is just over 9 years at this point. Started having the joint and hip issues a little over a year ago.

Today, he is much more mobile, and I attribute that directly to a product suggested by our buddies at the local feed store. They have another large breed dog, and have used this with him for 3 years now.

The turn around in our dog took about 3 weeks. But the transformation was simply amazing, and got even better over time.

Might be worth a try for you. This stuff is somewhat different than just glucosamine, in that it actually builds cartilage over time:

https://pv-web-01t.s3.amazonaws.com/images/43778.jpg

https://petvalu.com/product/43778/biojoint-hip-joint-mobility-formula-biologicvet

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Nog

buckbrush
12-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Gives me a few things to read up on and talk to the vet about.

buckbrush
12-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Well, last night Jethro was having a lot more issues getting up. Took him for a walk up the driveway to get him moving a bit. When I got him home I noticed he was bloated. Took my pup to the vet and the x-ray was not good.
Lots of fluid around his stomach, lungs and heart.

Held my pup at the vet and thanked him for his loyalty and being such a good friend to my 5 year old son while he went to sleep for the last time.

Telling my son this morning was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, my son is crushed. There is still part of his Christmas bone by his bed that he didnt have a chance to finish.

Good bye my friend.

rosh
12-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Dam, feel for you and the family. Sorry for your loss.

209x50
12-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Well, last night Jethro was having a lot more issues getting up. Took him for a walk up the driveway to get him moving a bit. When I got him home I noticed he was bloated. Took my pup to the vet and the x-ray was not good.

Held my pup at the vet and thanked him for his loyalty and being such a good friend to my 5 year old son while he went to sleep for the last time.

Telling my son this morning was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, my son is crushed. There is still part of his Christmas bone by his bed that he didnt have a chance to finish.

Good bye my friend.
Damn! Very sorry for your loss. We have done that too many times ourselves but in a while you will be happy you did the right thing and gave your buddy the rest he deserved.

Pixel Shooter
12-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Heart crushing. Very sorry to hear

IronNoggin
12-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Oh Man. So Sorry to hear this...

While it is something almost all who choose to become a dog's companion must eventually face, it is a damn difficult thing to do.
You made the right call, and somewhere your Buddy understands and is pleased you did not let him suffer.
Remember the good times, and when the time is right for you to let another capture your heart, you will recognize that. From what you've written, it is easy to tell you are the Right Kind of Owner. Please consider sharing that with another down the road...

Rest in Peace Jethro...

Sadly,
Matt

Gray Wolf
12-26-2017, 03:25 PM
My condolences, to both you and your family.

lead chucker
12-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Previcox has helped our shepherd a lot. No apparent side affects, itis certainly better than seeing the side affect of giving him nothing!

Previcox works very well.my lab has been on it for a year now from a knee injury.very happy dog

Selkirk
12-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Heart crushing. Very sorry to hear

This ^

The loss of a family dog cuts deep ... not to the flesh, but to one's sole.

Selkirk :(

Klondike
12-26-2017, 05:01 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss...

buckbrush
12-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Thank you all for the kind wishes. I know most of you have been through similar experiences and know the pain of losing a good friend.

nimrod
12-27-2017, 09:48 AM
I have a few dogs, here is what we have used with great results.

Made Specifically for Dogs with Arthritis
PREVICOX is a coxib class Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID), formulated especially to alleviate the pain and inflammation associated with dog arthritis (what veterinarians call "canine osteoarthritis").

PREVICOX inhibits COX-2 (cyclooxygenase-2), which helps generate chemicals that are responsible for pain and inflammation, while sparing COX-1 (cyclooxygenase-1), which helps maintain normal bodily functions.*

Ask your veterinarian for more information about treating the pain and inflammation associated with arthritis with PREVICOX.

sns2
12-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Just brutal. I am very sorry for your great loss. You did the right thing.

artie
12-27-2017, 11:26 AM
so sorry for the loss of your dog. I hope your boy does well with the loss of his pet.

Sooner
12-27-2017, 11:35 AM
You own a dog, you go through this, too bad we have to do it many times. Been there. Google Rainbow Bridge, it was sent to me by my Vet after putting down one of my GSP's. Its just words but they made me feel better. When your ready, you will get a new pup and your son will enjoy it just as much as Jethro.

Sorry to hear you lost a good friend but you did the right thing. Condolences

ReconWilly
12-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Always hurts to lose a friend, sorry about your loss.

I just wanted to post a link to this stuff, many pet owners maybe unaware that this option exists for pet relief, i have heard good things from caring owners that have tried it for various issues.

https://getwhitepalm.com/product/relief-cbd-pet-tincture-250mg/

Selkirk
12-27-2017, 03:18 PM
You own a dog, you go through this, too bad we have to do it many times. Been there. Google Rainbow Bridge, it was sent to me by my Vet after putting down one of my GSP's. Its just words but they made me feel better. When your ready, you will get a new pup and your son will enjoy it just as much as Jethro.

Sorry to hear you lost a good friend but you did the right thing. Condolences
https://www.rahvaraamat.ee/images/products/000/569/410/thumbnails/big/60ae1524c8cdb7682c5a08a58f20227d912bdf7a/rainbow-bridge.jpg

A book ^ by Adrian Raeside. It was written with the intent of helping
children deal with the loss of a pet, but over the years it has been
read by pet lovers of all ages.

Selkirk

gitrdun
12-27-2017, 03:48 PM

Good bye my friend.

I feel your pain brother, as I too have lost many dogs. Rest in Peace Jethro. :(

Davey Boy
12-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Jethro is now free of his pain, you will still feel yours for a while, time will heal. Such a sad thing to have happen especially this time of year. May you be left will all good thoughts regarding your buddy.

shakeyleg02
12-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Very sorry to hear man ..My condolences to you and your family

molly
12-28-2017, 04:29 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family...and to Gray Wolf, too. While I like the Rainbow Bridge idea, I think this piece sums up the loss of a dog the best...

http://www.dogheirs.com/dogs-never-die-sleeping-in-heart/#VSgb2BTrDaWQA7Yk.01