PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas/Basspro Sales Now a Joke

MK2750
12-25-2017, 10:24 AM
That didn't take long. Nothing but a bunch of regurgitated stuff that they have been trying to unload for months. Most of it should be in the Bargain Cave as no one wants it.

Checking out cabelas.com and they are offered 100 times the products at real savings. I guess we will just have to pray another one of the big players moves up to add a little competition or just order from the States before Trump and the boy wonder negotiate the doors closed.

Unregistered user
12-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Big chain in eastern Canada and online, Sail outdoors, good to compare prices at least.

260 Rem
12-25-2017, 10:36 AM
I was in the Edm South side Cabelas Dec 24 ... not real busy, but shelves/racks were incredibly full...particularly the clothing stuff.

sns2
12-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Exactly. I was not a fan of WSS cuz of customer service issues in the past, but this is not good at all.

Carriertxv
12-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Oh but all the smart people said the WSS was just a big rip off and life would be grand after they were gone!!!

MK2750
12-25-2017, 02:40 PM
Although the merger was rumoured for some time, there seemed to be competition between Cabelas and Basspro keeping prices down more so than WWS.

saskbooknut
12-25-2017, 03:48 PM
If they are not complaining on AO you wouldn't know there was life at all.
They are retailers trying to make money.

gloszz
12-25-2017, 04:25 PM
That didn't take long. Nothing but a bunch of regurgitated stuff that they have been trying to unload for months. Most of it should be in the Bargain Cave as no one wants it.

Checking out cabelas.com and they are offered 100 times the products at real savings. I guess we will just have to pray another one of the big players moves up to add a little competition or just order from the States before Trump and the boy wonder negotiate the doors closed.

I will be honest with you and say the sales are not that great here in the USA. I am currently in Ohio, but came up from Texas for Christmas and the sales at Bass Pro here in Perrysburg were literally minuscule. $10 off here, another $25 off there. I found Academy has some good sales but they tend to go out quick! They had some great hunting boots from Danner for $45 down from $305.

260 Rem
12-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Cabelas will now convert Bass Pro gift cards to Cabelas.

KGB
12-25-2017, 05:04 PM
I think this is a good deal in addition, there is a $5.00 mail in rebate. So the box will cost you $13.00

Cow Town Bill
12-28-2017, 12:30 PM
I was in Bass Pro on Boxing Day and the gun dept only had 2 reps and about 20 customers. I went home early empty handed.

Rumour
12-28-2017, 12:40 PM
I managed to get a maverick 88 at 259.99 40 bucks off

target loads for 25% off
8 pounds of Tannerite for 50% off

saved roughly 250 dollars on 600 dollars worth of goods.

I wouldn't say amazing deals but better than paying full retail

Tom Pullings
12-28-2017, 01:15 PM
I really hope SAIL moves west and knocks the BP/Cabelas monopoly down a peg or two.

OldNewGuy
12-28-2017, 01:34 PM
I really hope SAIL moves west and knocks the BP/Cabelas monopoly down a peg or two.

I am currently living "east" due to work location (unfortunately) and have bought a couple of firearms (Win SX3 & Browning BLR .308) @ Sail in the past two years. Sail "used" to have very competitive prices, but in the past year +/- their retail pricing steadily rose to match or exceed BP or Cabelas. The timing co-incided with the closing of LeBaron's - who were basically Sail's main competition, even their store locations roughly matched.

I was in on Boxing day, thinking about a Browning Eclipse Varmint in .223 heavy barrel. They had a 22-250 in that model, and one of the other stores had the .223, but pretty much the whole store had some small discounts except anything in the shooting/hunting areas. That stuff was pretty much full list - but they price match if you can find anything lower elsewhere. They will not, however, arrange shipment from the other store, whether to your home or to the local Sail shop. The one store which handles all the shipping from web orders is in Vaughn, Ontario - none of the others do. If Vaughn has it on the shelf, you're go to go, otherwise forgetaboutit.

The moral - don't count on Sail to drive retail prices down, they're pretty much equivalent to Bass Pro/Cabelas now, or higher, but with a cr@ppier website than Cabelas. Their gun room staff seem a lot better/more knowedgeable, though.

O.N.G.

Scott N
12-28-2017, 01:42 PM
Keep in mind that the exchange rate Canadian VS US dollars makes a huge difference in the price of goods too.

Rumour
12-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Keep in mind that the exchange rate Canadian VS US dollars makes a huge difference in the price of goods too.

Canadian Peso

Bub
12-28-2017, 01:52 PM
I have been to Sail a few times. I even bought rings from them a couple of years ago, just to return them later because they were almost 1.5 times cheaper in Cabela's. From my personal experiences, it is the most overpriced store I am am aware off. Granted, I do most of my shopping online just becuase of where I am, yet I have not bought anything from Sail online either due the prices being much higher than elsewhere.

And I agree, Cabela's sales have changed for the worse, but that was expected.

Big Bull
12-28-2017, 03:15 PM
For real? I've had a Bass Pro gift card since they came to Alberta, but never made it to the store. I'll have to remember it the next time I go to Edmonton! Thanks

Dean2
12-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the tip. I have a BP card since I lived in Calgary but never remember to take it with me when I head south. Will cash it here in Edm. Great deal, thanks.

If you guys are looking for good sale prices on stuff, try Epps and Prophet River . If you get a subscription to Access Firearms newspaper there are quite a few large retailers across Canada that advertise some very good deals in there that I don't see posted anywhere else. Far better deals than I ever saw at WSS or Cabelas, example VX 3 4.5x14x40 Leupold with B&C reticle $599, Swaro Z5 3.4x18x44 BRH $1,599.

dgl1948
12-28-2017, 03:32 PM
I live in a rural area so my dealings with Cabela's is through online ordering. Since their mail order moved to Calgary from Winnipeg their service has gone to hell in a handbag. You are lucky if your order gets shipped within 10 days. My last order was Nov 3 . The item was Cabela's brand and is defective. I have now called 4 times to get my return shipping authorization. Still nothing#*%$ Ask to speak to a supervisor .... oh yah, they are to busy. Get put on the return call list sure.... maybe they will call before next xmas. I am to the point of having MasterCard put a stop payment on that order and then maybe I will get some action.

Kurt505
12-28-2017, 03:34 PM
When there is no competition profit takes precedence.

I hope Canadian tire expands on their outdoor product line.

saskbooknut
12-28-2017, 04:36 PM
I have never seen anything about Chinadian Tire that gives me any hope for them as a shooting sports competitor.

I avoid them if at all possible.

Tom Pullings
12-28-2017, 06:58 PM
Sail has completely ridiculous sales sometimes. I once bought about 40 blue fox spinners for 50 cents each.

Duramaximos
12-28-2017, 07:04 PM
I live in a rural area so my dealings with Cabela's is through online ordering. Since their mail order moved to Calgary from Winnipeg their service has gone to hell in a handbag. You are lucky if your order gets shipped within 10 days. My last order was Nov 3 . The item was Cabela's brand and is defective. I have now called 4 times to get my return shipping authorization. Still nothing#*%$ Ask to speak to a supervisor .... oh yah, they are to busy. Get put on the return call list sure.... maybe they will call before next xmas. I am to the point of having MasterCard put a stop payment on that order and then maybe I will get some action.Exactly my experience.
Did you get to speak with the doped up arrogant little sh!t at their 1800 number? I seem to draw him every time I call. Drives me crazy!
Exact same canned responses and empty promises.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

pikergolf
12-28-2017, 07:12 PM
Meh, the dollar sucks but there are still deals to be had at Cabela's USA. I just ordered this. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1811194&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-1811194&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1793989

Here is the Canadian Cablela's counter price, no thanks.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/66173/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-rotary-tumbler-kit

Most times Amazon.ca will beat Cabela's.

https://www.amazon.ca/Platinum-Series-Rotary-Tumbler-7L/dp/B00HTN4R6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514513516&sr=8-1&keywords=frankford+arsenal

wildbill
12-28-2017, 07:18 PM
Oh but all the smart people said the WSS was just a big rip off and life would be grand after they were gone!!!

The ones who said that probably all voted Trudeau, just like when that happened, we all ended up getting screwed! Hope all the Trudeau voters are happy now!

theshaneler
12-28-2017, 07:23 PM
I think it depends on what you are looking for, I was eyeing up the Vortex diamondback at 15% off. none of my local businesses can match that, they wont even swing more than 5% off. I want to support local, but they have to at least try to get my business!

I'll probably jump on this deal as Im dying to get to the range with my first bolt action and really need a scope!

dgl1948
12-28-2017, 09:04 PM
Exactly my experience.
Did you get to speak with the doped up arrogant little sh!t at their 1800 number? I seem to draw him every time I call. Drives me crazy!
Exact same canned responses and empty promises.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, got him today. If I do not get my callback tomorrow I will call MasterCard and get a stop payment started.

elkhunter11
12-28-2017, 09:33 PM
Many of the people that were so happy to see WSS go under likely won't be celebrating their demise for long.

Bub
12-28-2017, 09:47 PM
^ Indeed.

troutbug
12-29-2017, 07:04 AM
I will miss the flytying section. Other than buying online wholesale was the only place I went. The south common wholesale had a great selection.

Pioneer2
12-29-2017, 07:06 AM
You're better off with the devil you know.

sns2
12-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't recall people saying they were glad it went bankrupt, just a lot of comments on how bad a store it had become. This was true, hence bankruptcy. I always bought elsewhere if I could due to customer service experiences, but price still made me go there at times. Sure hope someone tries to fill the void.

Dean2
12-29-2017, 10:14 AM
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't recall people saying they were glad it went bankrupt, just a lot of comments on how bad a store it had become. This was true, hence bankruptcy. I always bought elsewhere if I could due to customer service experiences, but price still made me go there at times. Sure hope someone tries to fill the void.

I never saw anyone actually say they were happy but there were lots that said no loss, won't know the difference, never went there anyhow, and the like. To all of you that endlessly complained about WS, less competition is never better. WS, Milarm, Grouse River, Lebarons, a shop in Llyod I don't know the name of are just the last few to go under. Being left in a market with one really large supplier and MAYBE Canadian Tire as the leveller is not going to be any fun at all.

I shop Canadian 99% of the time. The only time I bought at Cabela's or Bass Pro was when I got gift cards. I will continue to buy everything I can from Canadian stores or if not available there, from mail order out of country. I will pay more to ensure Cabela's is not the last choice I have for sporting goods.

MK2750
12-29-2017, 10:44 AM
I never saw anyone actually say they were happy but there were lots that said no loss, won't know the difference, never went there anyhow, and the like. To all of you that endlessly complained about WS, less competition is never better. WS, Milarm, Grouse River, Lebarons, a shop in Llyod I don't know the name of are just the last few to go under. Being left in a market with one really large supplier and MAYBE Canadian Tire as the leveller is not going to be any fun at all.

I shop Canadian 99% of the time. The only time I bought at Cabela's or Bass Pro was when I got gift cards. I will continue to buy everything I can from Canadian stores or if not available there, from mail order out of country. I will pay more to ensure Cabela's is not the last choice I have for sporting goods.

So what are you saying? We should endure poor customer service, grit our teeth and purchase Canadian?

Their website sucked, their locations sucked (for me and other out of town folks) their customer service sucked and what irked me the most was the BS idea that one store had nothing to do with the others as far as transferring merchandise. The Red Deer UFA refused to even admit they were part of the same chain.

NO ONE is happy to see a good store go down and NO ONE is surprised when a bad one does. They failed because they dropped the ball on nearly every occasion. They ended up exactly where they belong and it sucks for everyone involved, especially us outdoorsmen.

To say it is the consumer's fault when an enterprise fails is ridiculous. Everyone was so excited when UFA took over and everyone was more than willing to give them every opportunity to succeed. I don't even know how you screw that up, but they did.

Kyle
12-29-2017, 10:50 AM
So what are you saying? We should endure poor customer service, grit our teeth and purchase Canadian?

Their website sucked, their locations sucked (for me and other out of town folks) their customer service sucked and what irked me the most was the BS idea that one store had nothing to do with the others as far as transferring merchandise. The Red Deer UFA refused to even admit they were part of the same chain.

NO ONE is happy to see a good store go down and NO ONE is surprised when a bad one does. They failed because they dropped the ball on nearly every occasion. They ended up exactly where they belong and it sucks for everyone involved, especially us outdoorsmen.

To say it is the consumer's fault when an enterprise fails is ridiculous. Everyone was so excited when UFA took over and everyone was more than willing to give them every opportunity to succeed. I don't even know how you screw that up, but they did.

Well said and UFA also managed to close Russells down in the process.

Scott N
12-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Well said and UFA also managed to close Russells down in the process.

Wouldn't that be nice if Russell's reopened?

Tommeh
12-29-2017, 11:10 AM

Cabelas isn't as big a joke as Target... but it's the same logic they applied to opening up stores up here

Dean2
12-29-2017, 11:23 AM

That wasn't actually my message. If I got bad service at WS I complained to the manger or head office. I did not rant on social media without giving the store a chance to address the problem. I only had to complain twice and both times the issue was satisfactorily resolved. I also never relied on staff at any store for expert advice so that doesn't factor into my version of adequate service. Your mileage obviously varied.

All I can say is enjoy the great/adequate service you feel you get at Cabela's, they are certainly bending clients over hard enough on price that that can't be why people shop there. Prices will only get higher as competition leaves the market. Do as you like, you already are, but don't complain that monopolies lead to high prices and poor selection.

Big Thumper
12-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the tip. I have a BP card since I lived in Calgary but never remember to take it with me when I head south. Will cash it here in Edm. Great deal, thanks.

If you guys are looking for good sale prices on stuff, try Epps and Prophet River . If you get a subscription to Access Firearms newspaper there are quite a few large retailers across Canada that advertise some very good deals in there that I don't see posted anywhere else. Far better deals than I ever saw at WSS or Cabelas, example VX 3 4.5x14x40 Leupold with B&C reticle $599, Swaro Z5 3.4x18x44 BRH $1,599.

Need to talk to the guys at PR to get them to open a store in Calgary now? ;)

huntsfurfish
12-29-2017, 11:39 AM
Many of the people that were so happy to see WSS go under likely won't be celebrating their demise for long.

Agree!

Tom Pullings
12-29-2017, 11:48 AM
This especially sucks for those of us in the Deep South who now have to go to Calgary or online to get a decent selection of outdoor gear.

bobalong
12-29-2017, 11:58 AM

First you hire a CEO, Operations Manager and other senior managers who do not have a clue how to run an outdoor store. You ignore everything the previous owner tries to tell you. You buy 10 failing US outdoor stores with no inventory, an outdated computer system, (costs 100 million to open the doors) who compete on a daily basis with Bass Pro and Cabelas who were separate at the time. Then you build 3 new stand alone stores in Canada from the ground up all in about 1 year or so. A few years later you sell the US companies at a HUGE loss.

During this time you also alienate almost every major firearm and fishing manufacturer with ignorance causing you to lose your line of credit. After a couple of years of dismal fuel and fertilizer sales on the UFA side you "use" some of the Wholesale Sports cash to sustain UFA. When Wholesale gets in a cash flow crunch UFA says "sorry" we actually operate as separate companies and can't help you, moral drops.

UFA pockets are not that deep so your cash flow goes to zero, your credit goes to zero, your inventory decreases substantially. Low inventory complaints go through the roof and store managers are told to sell what you have. Price Waterhouse is finally brought in and about 6 months before Cabelas opens they cut about 25-30% of the staff (more cash flow problems). About 4 store managers resign. Moral drops to an all time low.

A few other things but that's it in a nutshell.

oilngas
12-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Bob I think you pretty much nailed the WSS issues, but I also think ( I don't know) Brad n Brother kept the Calgary store and leased / rented it to UFA. You indicated they ignored the brothers, and that I believe is true. In addition they had the original founder / owner of Frenchies / Barrotto in the Calgary Fishing section, George told me they ignored him as well.

We've only seen this happen 100's of times in the Oilpatch, buy a successful organization, keep the management on for a few years, and ignore the "old" Management and the lessons of how they were successful.

32-40win
12-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Doesn't seem to be anyone willing to take on building a sporting goods chain in Canada, there are more than likely a few good reasons for it. 5-10 yrs from now Cabelas will be no more , it'll all be Basspro. The people that built Barrotto's/Frenchy's/WSS to start with are retired, The people that owned Russel's just sold or shut down Porcupine Crk and retired. Big investment with a lot of slow moving items to carry, to start up a store like that now. Hard to say what the two Calgary gunshops will do now to fill in the on the shelf voids left by WSS closing up. When it comes to reloading stuff they have a long way to go on that. What you see at Basspro & Cabelas now is pretty much all you will get from them.

covey ridge
12-29-2017, 12:58 PM
First you hire a CEO, Operations Manager and other senior managers who do not have a clue how to run an outdoor store. You ignore everything the previous owner tries to tell you. You buy 10 failing US outdoor stores with no inventory, an outdated computer system, (costs 100 million to open the doors) who compete on a daily basis with Bass Pro and Cabelas who were separate at the time. Then you build 3 new stand alone stores in Canada from the ground up all in about 1 year or so. A few years later you sell the US companies at a HUGE loss.

During this time you also alienate almost every major firearm and fishing manufacturer with ignorance causing you to lose your line of credit. After a couple of years of dismal fuel and fertilizer sales on the UFA side you "use" some of the Wholesale Sports cash to sustain UFA. When Wholesale gets in a cash flow crunch UFA says "sorry" we actually operate as separate companies and can't help you, moral drops.

UFA pockets are not that deep so your cash flow goes to zero, your credit goes to zero, your inventory decreases substantially. Low inventory complaints go through the roof and store managers are told to sell what you have. Price Waterhouse is finally brought in and about 6 months before Cabelas opens they cut about 25-30% of the staff (more cash flow problems). About 4 store managers resign. Moral drops to an all time low.

A few other things but that's it in a nutshell.

Pretty much nailed it:)

SamSteele
12-29-2017, 12:58 PM
I believe there is a lot of room for an Outdoors store with an Amazon model here in Canada. No requirement to have storefronts and sales staff. Just warehousing, good website, free shipping, and top of the line automation. It would actually serve the Canadian population distribution better than a stand alone store does.

MK2750
12-29-2017, 01:01 PM
That wasn't actually my message. If I got bad service at WS I complained to the manger or head office. I did not rant on social media without giving the store a chance to address the problem. I only had to complain twice and both times the issue was satisfactorily resolved. I also never relied on staff at any store for expert advice so that doesn't factor into my version of adequate service. Your mileage obviously varied.

All I can say is enjoy the great/adequate service you feel you get at Cabela's, they are certainly bending clients over hard enough on price that that can't be why people shop there. Prices will only get higher as competition leaves the market. Do as you like, you already are, but don't complain that monopolies lead to high prices and poor selection.

So what is your message? People only rant on social media after being frustrated. Continuously frustrating customers leads to bankruptcy.

I tried to buy stuff on several occasions from WSS and each time my efforts failed. Not in stock, no idea when it will be in, stock in Edmonton but they wont ship from the store even if prepaid, blah, blah, blah, time after time.

I didn't expect expert advice or any advice at all. I just wanted the product they advertised in stock or mailed to me and to be addressed in a polite and respectful manner.

AND yes I am complaining because monopolies lead to higher prices. We tried to support WSS and they screwed it up. AND yes I do "do what I like". I didn't like anything about WSS and apparently I am not alone.

We are blessed with some pretty decent outdoor stores in Alberta but if they don't have what I need I order online. Their fault, their loss, not my problem. If they fold that's not my fault. I spent several hours in both Red Deer stores shopping for Christmas presents but ended up ordering the majority online. Surely you are not suggesting I should have purchased some over priced items I didn't want nor need?

My online purchases are not limited to Bass Pro and Cabela's BTW. You don't need to be a big player to offer quality products and good customer service.

Rumour
12-29-2017, 02:38 PM
As more and more shopping turns to online, you will see more and more big box stores closing just reality.

WSS is just a victim of the times. also bad marketing as a person interested in the outdoors I never heard of them when I was located in Sask/MB and never heard of them when I moved West.

As someone who now lives away from a major population centre, online shopping with free shipping pretty much dominates a lot of big purchases.

You cant blame Cabelas for having less staff, it has to compete with lets say amazon who has ZERO brick and mortar in this country.

But I have had a recent great experience at the south side Edmonton Cabelas at there fly section and would buy there again and again and again

Bub
12-29-2017, 03:04 PM
But I have had a recent great experience at the south side Edmonton Cabelas at there fly section and would buy there again and again and again
Their fly section sucks compared to what Wholesale had to offer in my experience.

Bushrat
12-29-2017, 03:11 PM
Their fly section sucks compared to what Wholesale had to offer in my experience.

Yes, Cabelas fly fishing section is not even half the selection of what Wholesale had.

JD848
12-29-2017, 03:46 PM
I was a big fan of wss ,I own about 12 rifles when I first walked into Farmers Supply in Winnipeg in 1990 and they were the best of guys who owned it.I remember buying a new sako 7MM STW and Joel the owner giving me a new katz knife for doing business there.

When they closed down wholesale sports moved in and many employee's went to wss,the optic guy passed away and I bought his 7mm RM without knowing it was his till a week latter, and was also the guy who got me into reloading and still have the same setup besides a few new things.
Ken was the manager and whatever you needed he went out of his way to make it happen right on your end,every store has to make a profit so things worked both ways.

Our wss staff store was from a bunch of rounders and friends who were all into guns and knew there stuff,but as time passes on people leave for one reason or another,so to JOEL AND LYLE what you started decades ago was a great adventure and learning experience .Sure in today's world it's hard to find true gun nuts that have knowledge on every thing and work ethics have slipped out the back door in many store across this country,but to all the guys there specially RAY thank you for all the times you did your best with what was available .Now we have one big store in all of Manitoba ,a few smaller good stores ,but spread out across Manitoba.

So to all the guys who thought they were badly treated at wss ,you may wish they were back.Guess it's time to round up some gun lovers and restart a new store.

JD848

Rumour
12-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Yes, Cabelas fly fishing section is not even half the selection of what Wholesale had.

it wasn't what they had, but rather the advice and attention I received.

really knowledgeable fellow. showed me a thing or too. went out of his way to help when he didn't have too!

sns2
12-29-2017, 06:13 PM
I was a big fan of wss ,I own about 12 rifles when I first walked into Farmers Supply in Winnipeg in 1990 and they were the best of guys who owned it.I remember buying a new sako 7MM STW and Joel the owner giving me a new katz knife for doing business there.

When they closed down wholesale sports moved in and many employee's went to wss,the optic guy passed away and I bought his 7mm RM without knowing it was his till a week latter, and was also the guy who got me into reloading and still have the same setup besides a few new things.
Ken was the manager and whatever you needed he went out of his way to make it happen right on your end,every store has to make a profit so things worked both ways.

Our wss staff store was from a bunch of rounders and friends who were all into guns and knew there stuff,but as time passes on people leave for one reason or another,so to JOEL AND LYLE what you started decades ago was a great adventure and learning experience .Sure in today's world it's hard to find true gun nuts that have knowledge on every thing and work ethics have slipped out the back door in many store across this country,but to all the guys there specially RAY thank you for all the times you did your best with what was available .Now we have one big store in all of Manitoba ,a few smaller good stores ,but spread out across Manitoba.

So to all the guys who thought they were badly treated at wss ,you may wish they were back.Guess it's time to round up some gun lovers and restart a new store.

JD848

It was not the old guard that was the problem:(

Bushrat
12-29-2017, 07:53 PM
it wasn't what they had, but rather the advice and attention I received.

really knowledgeable fellow. showed me a thing or too. went out of his way to help when he didn't have too!

Yes they do have a couple great guys in there, one gave me a sale price on a rod and reel when the sale was still weeks away, another replaced a rod for no cost after I had broken it. Top notch guys, I just wish Cabelas had a larger well stocked fly fishing section for them to work out of. Perhaps with WSS gone Cabelas will expand it

The Spank
12-29-2017, 07:54 PM

Hmmm? Wonder if it goes the other way too? I have a $400 Cabelas card that would come in handy converted to Bass Pro come spring for some Tracker Marine accessories in conjunction with my VIP Boat Owners discount card.

covey ridge
12-29-2017, 07:58 PM
It was not the old guard that was the problem:(

As far as the Calgary store goes, much of the problem was from top down. There will always be some complaints from any retail business, but I noticed that when UFA took over things went down hill. They seemed to have the attitude that they were there to bring WSS into the 21st century and they were there to make WSS great again. WSS was not doing bad before them and WSS success was the reason they bought the business in the first place.

Almost as soon as UFA took over the store nearly always was short on stock, and staff had to make excuses for shortage of product. There was one period of time where there was not a single bottle of gun oil in the store for over 6 months.

Management initiated several schemes to boost sales. I recall one smarmy manager telling sales staff that if each sales person could just upsell each customer $20.00 they would meet their goals. I also remember a wise sales person (member here) telling said smarmy manager that if the store would get decent inventory that sales would go up 300%. That fell on deaf ears.

I recall asking a buyer why they could not stock cheap target loads and clay targets at the same time as often the sale of one depended on the other being in stock. Answer was that they could not afford to order both.

Along the way management decided not to do inter store transfers or special orders. If what they want is not in stock, sell them something else.

Along with things like not having significant stock of rim fire ammo available for nearly the entire gopher season staff were left to deal with disappointed customers.

I could go on and on but since WSS is no more and I blame UFA, I would like to do a shout out to the previous owners.

Russ and Brad Butler were shrewd businessmen and built up a successful business. Brad was the pit boss and was a bit tough to work for but he was fair. If a customer was serious and close to a purchase, Brad would nearly always authorize a small incentive to complete the sale. Russ was the boss and in charge of special orders. If a customer wanted something that was not in stock he would personally do his best to get the product in stock asap. I think there business was successful because both men were willing to get involved to satisfy and keep there customers.

I do not think I will miss the last incarnation of WSS but I will miss the WSS that Russ and Brad Butler built.

sns2
12-29-2017, 08:08 PM
In days gone by, there were many good and knowledgeable people that worked in the Edmonton store. The UFA days would make a good case study in how to ruin a once great business. Unfortunate.

JD848
12-29-2017, 08:27 PM
In days gone by, there were many good and knowledgeable people that worked in the Edmonton store. The UFA days would make a good case study in how to ruin a once great business. Unfortunate.

x2

Bub
12-29-2017, 11:25 PM
Yes they do have a couple great guys in there, one gave me a sale price on a rod and reel when the sale was still weeks away, another replaced a rod for no cost after I had broken it. Top notch guys, I just wish Cabelas had a larger well stocked fly fishing section for them to work out of. Perhaps with WSS gone Cabelas will expand it
I was served just fine at the Wholesale's fly section as well. Again, just my experience.

I have been waiting for a yellow bucktail backordered at Cabela's for... I don't even for how long anymore, to tell the truth. They only send me emails once in a while asking if I want to cancel my order. I had a problem with one of the online orders this season, so I had an opportunity to ask a person on the phone about the tail and I was assured that once they get stock...

On a note separate from fly fishing, I also do not like the fact that they stopped sending a return label with the stuff you ordered. I have never had a need use it when they did, but one of the calls I ordered this season was just a ****ty call with a very ****ty sound. I wanted to return it, but realized there was no return label. I went to my account and could not find anywhere I could print one from. I then went to their online order return policy (or wherever I found the info) and found out that I have to pay for the return label and they then determine whether I will be refunded the shipping fee upon the inspection of the item. Obviously I did not return the 20 some dollar call because most likely I would not get a refund on the shipping fees that I pay out of my pocket. Now, I am not sure if this change happened before or after the acquisition.

dgl1948
12-30-2017, 05:27 AM
On a note separate from fly fishing, I also do not like the fact that they stopped sending a return label with the stuff you ordered. I have never had a need use it when they did, but one of the calls I ordered this season was just a ****ty call with a very ****ty sound. I wanted to return it, but realized there was no return label. I went to my account and could not find anywhere I could print one from. I then went to their online order return policy (or wherever I found the info) and found out that I have to pay for the return label and they then determine whether I will be refunded the shipping fee upon the inspection of the item. Obviously I did not return the 20 some dollar call because most likely I would not get a refund on the shipping fees that I pay out of my pocket. Now, I am not sure if this change happened before or after the acquisition.

I have a piece of faulty Cabela's brand equipment. Went through the proper procedures for return. It has been a month now and still waiting for return shipping label????

.257Weatherby
12-30-2017, 08:09 AM
I have never seen anything about Chinadian Tire that gives me any hope for them as a shooting sports competitor.

But, but they sell SKS's there dont they...
Crappy Tire has some general stuff and for that they are good for.
Specialized stuff not so good.
Rob

Dean2
12-30-2017, 08:32 AM
I have a piece of faulty Cabela's brand equipment. Went through the proper procedures for return. It has been a month now and still waiting for return shipping label????

Get back hold of them, your file has been lost. Seriously!

covey ridge
12-30-2017, 09:48 AM
But, but they sell SKS's there dont they...
Crappy Tire has some general stuff and for that they are good for.
Specialized stuff not so good.
Rob

Nope! Cambodian Tire officially pulled their SKS guns and made a corporate decision that they will not sell those evil guns.

dgl1948
12-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Get back hold of them, your file has been lost. Seriously!

I have called them 4 times in Dec.

Dean2
12-30-2017, 10:25 AM
I have called them 4 times in Dec.

Well that sucks. I guess not only are prices going up but he service is disappearing too. Got to love Monopolies.:shark:

jungleboy
12-30-2017, 12:57 PM
Once upon a time there was a store called Wholesale sports that came to town and all the peasants were pleased , finally those greedy high priced independents would be forced into submission and sharpen their pencils. All the hunters would enjoy low low prices on top name brands(chinese everything). Alas as it turned out WSS was similar to the greedy independents with similar pricing minus the service.
If only there were some competition .We all despise WSS, imagine how wonderful and fulfilled our outdoor lives would be if we had a Cabelas!! Soon it was written , Cabelas came to save our souls from the evil WSS . But wait it get's better Bass Pro came along as well , it was a veritable utopia for outdoorsmen. Praise be !
Soon it was discovered that WSS was sold to UFA and understandably became badly managed.The community banded together in it's condemnation of this unholy alliance and banished WSS ,driving it into liquidation. we picked over the bones and bought every item at meager discounts , dutifully complaining it still wasn't enough, all along the way. They are history now and that is a blessed thing for they sinned against the sportsman by demanding a profit an nearly everything they sold.
Alas it would appear that Cabelas has formed an alliance with the evil Bass pro and is conspiring against the sportsman as well by demanding profits from their stores as well . This shall not stand, rise up sportsmen!! rise up and we shall drive them from the city ! For it is written what shall it profit a mega store if they don't discount their goods to the maximum percentage. We the sportmen , NEED more stuff we need 50 different styles of camo and we need it at dollar store prices.
Hey... maybe Canadian tire will save us from this evil Cabelas/Bass pro profiteering megamart.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dean2
12-30-2017, 01:30 PM
Once upon a time there was a store called Wholesale sports that came to town and all the peasants were pleased , finally those greedy high priced independents would be forced into submission and sharpen their pencils. All the hunters would enjoy low low prices on top name brands(chinese everything). Alas as it turned out WSS was similar to the greedy independents with similar pricing minus the service.
If only there were some competition .We all despise WSS, imagine how wonderful and fulfilled our outdoor lives would be if we had a Cabelas!! Soon it was written , Cabelas came to save our souls from the evil WSS . But wait it get's better Bass Pro came along as well , it was a veritable utopia for outdoorsmen. Praise be !
Soon it was discovered that WSS was sold to UFA and understandably became badly managed.The community banded together in it's condemnation of this unholy alliance and banished WSS ,driving it into liquidation. we picked over the bones and bought every item at meager discounts , dutifully complaining it still wasn't enough, all along the way. They are history now and that is a blessed thing for they sinned against the sportsman by demanding a profit an nearly everything they sold.
Alas it would appear that Cabelas has formed an alliance with the evil Bass pro and is conspiring against the sportsman as well by demanding profits from their stores as well . This shall not stand, rise up sportsmen!! rise up and we shall drive them from the city ! For it is written what shall it profit a mega store if they don't discount their goods to the maximum percentage. We the sportmen , NEED more stuff we need 50 different styles of camo and we need it at dollar store prices.
Hey... maybe Canadian tire will save us from this evil Cabelas/Bass pro profiteering megamart.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. Great job!!!!

Bub
01-21-2018, 02:35 PM
I have been to Sail a few times. I even bought rings from them a couple of years ago, just to return them later because they were almost 1.5 times cheaper in Cabela's. From my personal experiences, it is the most overpriced store I am am aware off. Granted, I do most of my shopping online just becuase of where I am, yet I have not bought anything from Sail online either due the prices being much higher than elsewhere.

And I agree, Cabela's sales have changed for the worse, but that was expected.
I am standing in Sail store in Burlington, Ontario right now and prices are pretty insane, I will tell you that. Ain’t no way they can compete with Cabela’s, or any other brick store I know of.

On the other hand I found some scope mounts I have been looking for a while and could not find anywhere, not even online in Canada and they refused to ship them from the US.

wildbill
01-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Think I’ll be makin a bit more of an effort to buy with some of the sponsors on here and cgn, I hope bass pro and Cabela’s are the next to fall, just like target.

vcmm
01-21-2018, 06:24 PM

Good one!!
This can be about any Canadian small business.:thinking-006:

huntinstuff
01-21-2018, 07:19 PM
I think the bottom line is:

People complained about WSS service etc etc

But once the 50% sales started, they were first thru the door

Its such a nice ideology to buy from the little guy, the mom and pop store. Even if they are a little more money......

BS.

People are in it for themselves. Cheapest price sells.

Seriously if Bashaw Sports had a rifle for $1000, and WSS had it for $880, would ANYONE buy it at Bashaw just to “ support them”?

huntsfurfish
01-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Think I’ll be makin a bit more of an effort to buy with some of the sponsors on here and cgn, I hope bass pro and Cabela’s are the next to fall, just like target.

That will just make it even worse! Why would you want that?:sign0176:

I would like to see more, not less.

huntsfurfish
01-21-2018, 07:50 PM

Its such a nice ideology to buy from the little guy, the mom and pop store. Even if they are a little more money......

BS.

Seriously if Bashaw Sports had a rifle for $1000, and WSS had it for $880, would ANYONE buy it at Bashaw just to “ support them”?

Agree!

wildbill
01-21-2018, 08:20 PM
That will just make it even worse! Why would you want that?:sign0176:

I would like to see more, not less.

Because they are Canadian and if I have to pay a little more to support Canadians, I will, did you see their Boxing Day flyer? What a joke! The damage is done, there is a void, it’ll be filled. The deals I saw on some of sponsors sites are better than Cabela’s and bass pro, and I know their fly fishing section is a complete joke, I find they have a lot of generic krappolla, once in a blue moon they might have good deal but other than that why would I want throw my money away there? So I can buy Camo bed sheets? Maybe spend 50$ on a 5$ toy? My biggest hunk o junk knife would the crown jewel in bass pro, like really just a bunch of over priced junk! But hey, who am I to judge, some people like it like that!

Dean2
01-22-2018, 03:37 AM

BS.

Yes!! I do it with lots of the smaller guys like PR, P and D, Ellwood Epps and Bashaw. I will pay them more than Cabela's or Bass Pro for the same gun.

Scottmisfits
01-22-2018, 07:24 AM
That close of a difference is worth the extra cost.

A little story for you.
I bought a Ruger 10/22 at a small shop. It had a flash suppressor on the end of the barrel. It was bought as a Christmas present for my son, bought late November. . Move to April, I finally took it out to sight it in. The flash suppressor fell off, threads are stripped. A few days later I make my way into this small shop, explain the situation and ask for a little direction in what to do next in the way of warranty, if there is one, and who to talk to. He told me to wait 10 minutes while he swapped out the barrel in front of me.
Obviously this can’t happen every time based on the nature of firearms but what do you think any of the box stores would’ve done?
I do buy at the big stores but it’s basic items. And only when I’m close to them. My bigger stuff is purchased at the smaller stores that still give proper service, JimBows Archery, Fly's Etc, and the like.

.257Weatherby
01-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Well, one can always go and shop at W.
Oh Wait, they closed up shop last year.
The internet has created a huge disruption of what we once found convenient.
Now one can shop across the country or across the world with just a few strokes of the keys
and a Valid Credit Card.
Screw it, I'm going shopping for widgets, Amazon anyone?
Rob

.257Weatherby
01-22-2018, 09:41 AM
oops, double tap.
my bad.

Sitting Bull
01-22-2018, 07:37 PM

I agree. Every time I go in there I can't find anybody working the counter.

Unregistered user
01-23-2018, 05:34 AM
There are a couple of CT stores here that are quite good, close to home too. if I need a clerk to pull something out of a locked case, paging them is easy. I'm not there looking for their opinions either so expert advice is not a consideration, price and convenience is all that matters to me. I would rather buy from a Canadian owned big box than a US one just because. Also when you buy tags etc you get CT money!

Hurst
01-23-2018, 12:17 PM
With the old guard down and out, I will not shop at those stores(Cabela's and Bass pro)
I get my guns and ammo from Irunguns, I also get the odd goody off of amazon.
It's great when I know what I want, But i do miss shooting the stuff with the old guys at the counter.
I know there are a great number of stores around, I hope they keep their prices as manageable as possible and keeps their heads above water.

Bub
01-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Also when you buy tags etc you get CT money!
I bought tags in Canadian Tire a number of times and have never received Canadian Tire money for it. In my experience, this is the only thing they don't give CT money for.

Knute
01-23-2018, 01:01 PM
I get almost everything online now. Everything except guns that is.

The big box stores are good place to see and try things on, but like most on here the best price will almost always win

Unregistered user
01-23-2018, 07:30 PM
I bought tags in Canadian Tire a number of times and have never received Canadian Tire money for it. In my experience, this is the only thing they don't give CT money for.
I don't think that they're supposed to, but I get it every time. Try ringing thru a couple extra items with your tags at the same time at the gun counter