PDA

View Full Version : OK its cold...who is going out today?

CMichaud
12-26-2017, 10:07 AM
Weather says -31 today

Anyone still hitting the ice?

bezzola
12-26-2017, 10:24 AM
I was going to take a drive to halfmoon this afternoon for a few hours i have never fished it before.
I cant think of any other lake near Edmonton yo hit for perch

Talking moose
12-26-2017, 11:24 AM
I’ll be truck fishing today

Talking moose
12-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Drill hole by truck door window partially down with rod sticking through and heater cranked.

Fishwhere
12-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Drill hole by truck door window partially down with rod sticking through and heater cranked.

Hahaha i love it.

James Henry
12-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Guess I'm a wimp, too cold for fishing so I will be out riding my Ural instead :sHa_shakeshout:

SNAPFisher
12-26-2017, 12:06 PM
I was out for 30 minutes but need to downsize the tent and the propane heater is not working. Going back to 1lb bottles and a smaller tent.

DiabeticKripple
12-26-2017, 12:09 PM
I’ll be trying Gull for the first time tomorrow morning.

jamhead
12-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I'm going out Wabamun way. I think. Probably. Might try the truck fishing Talking Moose mentioned. But got some new lures for Christmas I need to try out, so... :character0053:

CodyCousins
12-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Tie your line to the window wipers and set on low, auto jig lol

dothepuff
12-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Tie your line to the window wipers and set on low, auto jig lol

Until a big pike hits it and takes the wiper arm right off....:sign0161:

Jawjacker
12-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Going to Wabamun with a couple of buddies on Thursday. Try out my new Ice tent .

https://i.imgur.com/Exe3sx6.jpg

Unregistered user
12-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Otter be a gooder for you.

swampy45
12-26-2017, 02:23 PM
I was out for 30 minutes but need to downsize the tent and the propane heater is not working. Going back to 1lb bottles and a smaller tent.

The Fishin’ Hole has some good deals on tents today... picked up a nice insulated one for myself today.

swampy45
12-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Not heading out today, but I will be out a few times this week! If anyone is game, PM me.

Mayhem
12-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Going to Wabamun with a couple of buddies on Thursday. Try out my new Ice tent .

Nice tent! Give us a gear review once you try it out.

eggy
12-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Me and a buddy made plans to go fishing today a while ago and decided to brave the cold. Fishing was not good only managed 1 bite.

On the way to where I went fishing decided to drive by badger to see if anyone was out there, a little ways past the boat launch noticed a truck out on ice, took another look and realized the truck had broke through the ice. Thought it it must have been there awhile and then I seen 3 guys bailing out of the truck. I quickly made my way to the shore and went to see if they were alright and other than being a bit rattled they were fine. Nothing we could do to get truck as it was sinking but gave the fellas a ride. Thermometer on my truck said -36. Glad everyone was ok, could've turned out real bad in them temps. Just a reminder to be careful on ice even with these cold temps ice is not safe in the south yet. Only 8 inches on lake I was fishing at. The guys that fell through said they drilled a test hole and was 13inches so figured it was good.

Stay safe everyone!!!!!!

wolf308
12-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Hehe. I'm going to buffalo toomoorow to test out same hing / Xmas present to me and my boys

Jawjacker
12-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Hehe. I'm going to buffalo toomoorow to test out same hing / Xmas present to me and my boys
Thats Awesome . I hope we both enjoy the new tent . When I called Otter to inquire about the shelter , they told me the Thermal Tec material was made for our cold Canadian Winters . The no stitch liner will be great at keeping the heat trapped inside. I hope you and your boys enjoy it as much as I and my boys will. Tight Lines :happy0180:

Jawjacker
12-26-2017, 09:41 PM
Me and a buddy made plans to go fishing today a while ago and decided to brave the cold. Fishing was not good only managed 1 bite.

On the way to where I went fishing decided to drive by badger to see if anyone was out there, a little ways past the boat launch noticed a truck out on ice, took another look and realized the truck had broke through the ice. Thought it it must have been there awhile and then I seen 3 guys bailing out of the truck. I quickly made my way to the shore and went to see if they were alright and other than being a bit rattled they were fine. Nothing we could do to get truck as it was sinking but gave the fellas a ride. Thermometer on my truck said -36. Glad everyone was ok, could've turned out real bad in them temps. Just a reminder to be careful on ice even with these cold temps ice is not safe in the south yet. Only 8 inches on lake I was fishing at. The guys that fell through said they drilled a test hole and was 13inches so figured it was good.

Stay safe everyone!!!!!!

Thank God you dropped by there eggy
Good on you to help out like that. Those boys could of froze to death. Thats terrifying .

brentm
12-26-2017, 10:05 PM
I was wondering about the ice safety. Good that you were there. Could have got ugly.

jeffrey929
12-27-2017, 07:54 AM

You will absolutely love it.. I purchased the XTH Pro Resort in October and it's the nicest pop up tent I have ever owned.. Almost 102 square feet of space, lots of neat features, and is real easy to keep warm.. Otter makes a fine product

-JR-
12-27-2017, 08:30 AM
delete

-JR-
12-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Just looking at the picture I can see how the corners are roped down.
Is that a small air flap I see in the lower right corner.

Can you tell me if they still have two doors across opposite corners.
I sure wold like a new tent that had them just on the other side so the guy that is sitting beside me does not have to step over his hole to get out .

Jawjacker
12-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Just looking at the picture I can see how the corners are roped down.
Is that a small air flap I see in the lower right corner.

Can you tell me if they still have two doors across opposite corners.
I sure wold like a new tent that had them just on the other side so the guy that is sitting beside me does not have to step over his hole to get out .

Hey JR . yes there are 2 doors across from each other. There are also 2 smaller flaps on the bottom on opposite sides. Those flaps are for the hose for the propane bottle. That way the propane tank can sit outside the tent . Also the corners have a 3 point harness system. . Another big feature was the removable windows. Two of the four windows are made vertical. It makes it soo much easier to see tip ups from the sitting position. Tent also has a few sewn in rod holders. The thermal Tec lining is off sewn so there is no thin spots(were the insulation is attached to the material) like my Clam thermal ,letting heat out. Making for a way warmer tent. Tight Lines

https://i.imgur.com/FTCxY8P.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6aW5yug.jpg

CMichaud
12-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Went out with the boy. We saw a couple down hole but they had no interest in eating apparently.

We did set up the tent but the boy spent most of the time running around outside.

I HATE using a tent - such a PIA to haul around and set-up - but probably was worth it yesterday what with the cold.

On the up shot today is supposed to be -23. Downright balmy!

DiabeticKripple
12-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Sitting all alone on Sylvan right now. Have only seen 1 small perch since noon

NSR Fisher
12-27-2017, 02:42 PM
Kripple, have you tried to set up over by Norenglewood? I heard the action there is really hot right now.

DiabeticKripple
12-27-2017, 04:01 PM
Kripple, have you tried to set up over by Norenglewood? I heard the action there is really hot right now.

I was there first this afternoon and that’s where I saw the perch. Didn’t see anything for 2 hours so I decided to try Birchcliff.

Maybe tomorrow morning I’ll go back and try deeper. I was in 3 FOW

densa44
12-27-2017, 04:15 PM
It didn't last long, I quit about the same time they did. If you want to stay out for more than 20 mins the dogs need boots, but by the time I'd get boots on all of them I'd be finished.

I think what has held me back from these Alberta winter sports that the rest of you all enjoy so much, is my youth as a newspaper boy in a few Ottawa winters.

You may know that except for Ulaanbaatar Ottawa is the farthest North National Capital in the world. Canada eh.

When I first came here 45 years ago people used to say "you don't feel the cold because it is dry". Thank God I don't hear that anymore!

Have fun.

Alberta Bigbore
12-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Sitting all alone on Sylvan right now. Have only seen 1 small perch since noon

I dont have alot of experience with sylvan.. but for whites we fished shallow.. perch.. we found them in deep water with silver and blue chubby darters

58thecat
12-29-2017, 05:44 AM
-38 today.....:sign0176:

Hell has frozen over so cold lake will soon toooooooo:)

farmerpk
12-29-2017, 06:47 AM
Thinking of heading to gull today despite the cold. How’s the fishing been?

tangledangler
12-29-2017, 06:56 AM
I spent the day on Sylvan with a bud at RR23 and only landed one pike from about 7am until 8pm. We were fishing in 14 fow just outside of a weed bed targeting whites. I have never fished for whites before does this sound like the right depth to be fishing for them?

Soiler
12-29-2017, 08:19 PM
Spent the day on Pigeon even tho it was -35 when I left the house this am. Managed to convince 1 white to take it but the rest were to snooty to do more than check it out or bump it. Still good to get out. Even tho it was CHILLY! Lol