PDA

View Full Version : Grotto Pond

FuzzyGrub
12-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Has anyone ever ice fished Grotto Pond by Canmore? Just wondering if it’s worth it. Will be visiting family over the holidays in Canmore and it’s nice and close 😬 thanks

Flieguy
12-26-2017, 03:44 PM
you could try it. check google maps/earth, there's a big huge hole on the north side. I'd probably try the edge of that.

most stocked put-and-take ponds near calgary get fished out in the summer though, and Grotto isn't stocked in the fall. The shallows of spray lakes can be good for mountain whitefish and it can offer more action than going deep for lakers

Ppb
12-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Go to Quarry pond for some grayling action, Grotto is usually fished out by winter.

FuzzyGrub
12-26-2017, 08:35 PM
Spray for Rockies and Quarry for Grayling are also great options! I have never caught a Rockie or a Grayling.

Claymaker
12-26-2017, 10:16 PM
People fish it early season just to get out on some ice, I live here and never have bothered,I would rather go to quarry lake or spray lakes both are within twenty minutes of Canmore downtown

TROLLER
12-27-2017, 08:23 AM
I sat on Grotto several times over the years to no avail.. I think most all the fish are caught before freeze. Never had a bite, never had a thing on the sonar and I did fish the deepest part. Actually had a few people stop to take a pic of my tent as they thought it was kinda funny someone trying to ice fish Grotto

Too many good places to fish go to Severn or some where else. l At least you know there are fish in the water.