PDA

View Full Version : Help for Rookie Fisherman Please

RedZippa
12-26-2017, 07:57 PM
Hello,

I have next to no fishing experience, but have been hunting for the past six years. I would really like to be able to take my son and daughter to a SW Alberta lake this summer, catch and cook a fish on the shore. (This may stem from one too many hunting videos where the host stops at a high elevation lake, catches a fish and cooks supper...seems like an amazing experience!)

Could you please provide advice on:

1) What is the most prolific or easiest fish to catch from shore in mountain lakes?

2) Recommend a lightweight / simple spin cast rod setup that can collapse into a backpack as i'll mainly be backpack camping (but may also take the rod while hunting).

3) Recommend any specific lures for the fish in item #1? There are SO many - it's really confusing.

4) I'm in Calgary, so had planned on talking to the people at Cabelas, but if there are any other shops nearby that people recommend, it would be appreciated!

Thank you very much.

DisplacedCaper
12-26-2017, 09:03 PM
I haven’t fished in many remote locations so hopefully some other members will help you there. Trout is going to be your number 1 target most likely and I find panther martin spinners are kind of the universal go to lure. I personally like their white/yellow with the black dots on it. Pick up a couple of sizes. Blue fox work as well. Try a Gibbs rainbow croc and some Red Devils as well (red spoon with the white sash through it). Those should get you started.
Try chain lakes south of Longview to get started. Easy fishing, should have good luck with your son!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/a36916517fccab3a12a76bdec222f5d3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/7ec338128a12fd5efd901dc171969456.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/b4012005fe3d2b661c767404db00cc9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedZippa
12-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the excellent information!

Scott N
12-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Beaver Mines Lake isn't too far from Calgary, about 2 1/2 hours, and is a good place to catch / keep fish. As mentioned, trout are going to be the most popular fish in SW AB. To add to what's been said, bait fishing is also a good way to catch stocked trout, especially if you plan on eating them and releasing the fish isn't as much of a consideration.

My dad taught me to catch these stocked trout using pickerel rigs. We'd replace the hooks with smaller / better hooks, bait up, and toss the rig into the lake and put a bell on the rod tip. Bait can be anything from maggots and worms to artificial bait like Power Bait.

In addition to spoons, spinners, and bait, flies work very well. With spin gear you can use the Adjust-A-Bubble type bobbers / floats for weight. Trying using smallish (12 or 14) sized gold ribbed hare's ear nymphs or pheasant tail nymphs.

TylerThomson
12-27-2017, 05:18 PM
If you are going to be fishing from shore for trout its pretty tough to beat a casting bubble with a hook and a worm. Simple cheap and incredibly effective.

4x4bowhunter
12-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Chain Lakes, Lees lake, and beaver mines are great choices and are not that long of a drive from Calgary. Worms (where allowed) are incredible effective for trout. Pink or orange power bait work well too. I go with simple. Weight on the bottom, tie on a small snelled hook about 10" above the weight. If ice fishing, drop top the bottom and reel up until the slack is out of the line. Watch the rod tip for a bite. Same principal for shore fishing in the summer. Cast out, reel in the slack and watch the tip of the rod.

Flieguy
12-29-2017, 04:25 PM
PM me if you like, I can give some insight but prefer not to do so where any old poacher can read it