PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Canon EOS M10?

Bub
12-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Does anyone have a Canon EOS M10? Do you like it? Does it take good photos?

I am debating whether to get it or not. I mainly want to get it due to its compact size to take with me to the bush. I used to have Canon Powershot S90 and was pretty happy with it. It cost bit more than this one, actually, when it was new. One day it was left on the bumper of the vehicle and fell off on the highway at about 100 km/h. Needless to say, I do not have it anymore.

I don't like the fact that this one has a plastic body, but maybe it is not that big of a deal.

I am also thinking to maybe get another S90 used on eBay instead.

Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

srs123
12-26-2017, 10:42 PM
It is a decent camera but, i prefer the lumix g7 for video work and sony a5000 for general quick photography.

bobtodrick
12-27-2017, 08:13 AM
It is a decent camera but, i prefer the lumix g7 for video work and sony a5000 for general quick photography.

Yup...in the mirrorless cameras Panasonic and Sony reign supreme.
Overall the Sony's have the best sensors out there (most companies except Canon use Sony sensors...they know how to build them).
Mirrorless is the main product of these two companies. With Canon and Nikon they are an afterthought. They are playing catchup because 10 years ago they both thought the traditional DSLR with a mirrorbox would be best.
The Rebel series (as well as their more pro DSLR) are Canon's bread and butter...there is no way they are going to make their mirrorless (the M series) outperform their DSLR's.

Big_Willy
12-27-2017, 10:39 AM
If this is the same package you are looking at;

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/canon-eos-m10-15-45-black-digital-camera/6000197300767

Its on sale! $100 off might make your decision easier.

-Willy

Bub
12-27-2017, 10:54 PM
That's where I am planning to buy it if decide to do so and the sale is still there :)

If anyone else has something to contribute, I am all ears.

Bub
12-27-2017, 10:56 PM
Yup...in the mirrorless cameras Panasonic and Sony reign supreme.
Overall the Sony's have the best sensors out there (most companies except Canon use Sony sensors...they know how to build them).
Mirrorless is the main product of these two companies. With Canon and Nikon they are an afterthought. They are playing catchup because 10 years ago they both thought the traditional DSLR with a mirrorbox would be best.
The Rebel series (as well as their more pro DSLR) are Canon's bread and butter...there is no way they are going to make their mirrorless (the M series) outperform their DSLR's.
That Sony is a little pricey due to no sale. I also like the fact that I can use all kinds of lenses with an adapter on this Canon.

Big_Willy
12-27-2017, 11:02 PM
For less than $350, I'm thinking you can't go wrong. The Panasonic and Sony cameras are technically better, but, a big price difference. The Canon M10 is an entry level mirror-less, but, has potential to produce better photos than a cellular phone or a point-and-shoot.

Bub
12-27-2017, 11:09 PM
Will it produce better or similar photos to Powershot S or G series though?

bobtodrick
12-28-2017, 09:23 AM
Will it produce better or similar photos to Powershot S or G series though?

Have a look at the chart in the link.
The M10 has an APS size sensor. The Canon PowerShot S has 1/2.5...absolutely no comparison. Some of the Canon G have the 1"...still 1/4 the size of the M10.
Pixel count isn't everything. You can have two cameras either 20 Megapixel sensors, but the larger sensor will be far better in low light, have more dynamic range (meaning it will handle contrasty scenes better and have a wider Color gamut (meaning it will record more shades of a color).
If your on a budget the M10 is miles ahead of all but the most expensive point and shoots.
http://photoseek.com/2013/compare-digital-camera-sensor-sizes-full-frame-35mm-aps-c-micro-four-thirds-1-inch-type/

tranq78
12-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Have a look at the chart in the link.
The M10 has an APS size sensor. The Canon PowerShot S has 1/2.5...absolutely no comparison. Some of the Canon G have the 1"...still 1/4 the size of the M10.
Pixel count isn't everything. You can have two cameras either 20 Megapixel sensors, but the larger sensor will be far better in low light, have more dynamic range (meaning it will handle contrasty scenes better and have a wider Color gamut (meaning it will record more shades of a color).
If your on a budget the M10 is miles ahead of all but the most expensive point and shoots.
http://photoseek.com/2013/compare-digital-camera-sensor-sizes-full-frame-35mm-aps-c-micro-four-thirds-1-inch-type/

Nailed it Bob. Buy the camera with the biggest sensor is the short answer.

All my cameras have viewfinders, though. In summer when the light is very bright I can't see the image in a mirrorless camera. Plus my eyes can't close focus any more cuz' I'm getting old, which makes a viewfinder pretty much mandatory.

When I want to take landscapes I use a film camera. That's a full frame sensor! Film+tripod is like a bolt action+scope. A digicam is like a semiauto 22 with drum mag.

Bub
12-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Thanks a bunch, guys!

I made a decision to buy, but the sale is now over :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Bub
12-28-2017, 09:49 PM
Checked again, the sale is back on. Placed an order. Thanks again, gents!