PDA

View Full Version : Amazed At The Stupidity of This

elkhunter11
12-27-2017, 08:05 AM
So what do they think will happen to the wolves when the caribou are removed, and there is no food supply for the wolves?

http://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/caribou-have-a-right-to-live-says-first-nation-chief-trying-to-save-the-animals/wcm/b13c51d4-d9d9-48b0-adf0-8d1b7542a0eb

TylerThomson
12-27-2017, 08:17 AM
So what do they think will happen to the wolves when the caribou are removed, and there is no food supply for the wolves?

http://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/caribou-have-a-right-to-live-says-first-nation-chief-trying-to-save-the-animals/wcm/b13c51d4-d9d9-48b0-adf0-8d1b7542a0eb

They will die. The only good wolf is a dead wolf.

NCC
12-27-2017, 08:29 AM
Another waste of government dollars. What was the purpose of collaring the wolves? Surely the team of bio's could have reached the conclusion that the wolves would kill all of the caribou. I would like to know if the bio was shedding tears for the caribou or the wolves. I can't believe that they would trap and chopper the caribou rather than kill the wolves. Shooting the wolves has to be more humane that letting them starve or freeze to death.

This should be an eye opener for anyone Who enjoys hunting when four wolves can wipe out 700 caribou in a few years. Letting nature take its course will mean that none of us will live long enough to see elk or moose numbers recover in the foothills and mountains.

bobinthesky
12-27-2017, 08:42 AM
The biggest mistake that the Indians made was telling the government they might take matters into their own hands. In the words of the immortal Ralph Kline, just shoot, shovel and shut up!

Moo Snukkle
12-27-2017, 08:44 AM
With the help of social media, the tree huggers and the people who like to play god will pressure the gov’t to save the wolves as well. The basis of their case would be that the wolves feelings would be hurt, and that the wolves also have the right to live.
This is what I see happening. Govt relocates all animals to separate locations. Paid for with yours and my money. Stupid idea? Waste of funds? Yup and yup.
No one in gov’t has the balls to leave this outcome to Mother Nature, especially if they can throw our money at it to “fix” it.
Those of us with common sense are outnumbered in this fight. Don’t expect an outcome you’ll be happy with.

Bushrat
12-27-2017, 06:00 PM
This is what happens when the people managing wildlife know nothing about wildlife and manage by emotion.

If they don't do anything there will be no caribou and no wolves, guess they will get to have their emotional cake and eat it to.

DiabeticKripple
12-27-2017, 06:49 PM
“I think that people need to remember by virtue of the wolves being there is not necessarily an indication that this was going to happen,” said spokeswoman Jolanta Kowalski. “The decision was made at the right time to do something.”

What did this dingbat think was going to happen? That they were going to gather around the fire and sing kumbaya?

Bub
12-27-2017, 07:11 PM
There are places where they live together, but a closed island in Lake Superior doesn’t logically seem to be one of them.

I am more amazed at the fact that, given that no one wants to shoot anyone, they figured that it would make more sense to move the caribou off the island 100’s kilometres away instead of moving the wolves back to the mainland.

spoiledsaskhunter
12-27-2017, 08:01 PM
....the 'bou were an experiment and hadn't been there before.

the wolves found them and have been eating well.

so what if the caribou 'experiment' doesn't end well.......wait for the wolves to starve and get some more caribou.

cheaper in every way.:snapoutofit:

Trochu
12-28-2017, 12:29 AM
Letting nature take its course will mean that none of us will live long enough to see elk or moose numbers recover in the foothills and mountains.

Weren't wolves present in the years those original numbers were presented as a baseline?

Is it possible that 680 caribou on a relatively small island isn't sustainable and they died due to natural causes other than the wolves such as disease or starvation.

Red Bullets
12-28-2017, 01:01 AM
Put two poachers on an island with 680 caribou and the caribou wouldn't last a year.

Caribou on a mainland would move to calving grounds and wintering grounds seasonally which would take them out a of a wolf packs territory for part of the year.

slickwilly
12-28-2017, 01:13 AM
Weren't wolves present in the years those original numbers were presented as a baseline?

Is it possible that 680 caribou on a relatively small island isn't sustainable and they died due to natural causes other than the wolves such as disease or starvation.

There were no wolves on the island prior to the introduction of the caribou.

slickwilly
12-28-2017, 01:15 AM
I feel like the lesson we should be learning here is that if you let prey populations get out of control with no predators, they will find them. Been happening for 10,000 years, will happen after we are gone.

58thecat
12-28-2017, 06:34 AM

Nope, need a balance or something will go haywire.

Supergrit
12-28-2017, 06:45 AM
Move the caribou to different islands what happens is wolves move to these islands?

58thecat
12-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Move the caribou to different islands what happens is wolves move to these islands?

They will swim, if your guts grumbling you walk to mcdonalds eh:scared:

But first the wolfs will clean up on all other game and that sparks imbalance...then they end up in Toronto eating taxi cab drivers....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

NCC
12-28-2017, 08:24 AM

The wolf and bear populations were artificially low from the mid 1900's to ~1990. The result was high ungulate populations, which I think is good.

Anything is possible, but it's quite a coincidence that the caribou population crashed as the wolf population increased.

Trochu, what do you think the wolves are eating and what do you think the caribou are dying from?

Wolves are killing machines. They kill for excitement, they kill more than they can eat, they kill calves and pregnant females, they wound animals that wander off and die somewhere else. When I ranched in the Peace Country we lost over 20 calves to wolves in one year. That gives you an idea of how many ungulates it takes to keep a pack of wolves alive.

As for the caribou migrating out of the wolves territory to calve, that's about the most uniformed statement I've ever heard. The only thing that limits a wolf pack's territory is another wolf pack.

CaberTosser
12-28-2017, 08:47 AM
So let me get this straight, the caribou were introduced there in the 1980’s, hence they are not there naturally, the last time I checked that means they are an invasive species. I’ll not get into whether they use to be there 23,000 years ago, the point being they weren’t there naturally in the 1970’s. Then some predators make it there by natural means (nature correcting the invasive species) and some twits who have lots of time to campaign for dumb things decide to take up the cause of saving the invasive species from the natural predator that the aforementioned group also worships?

Pass me another 80 bundles of $100’s for the fireplace :angry3:

Bushrat
12-28-2017, 05:46 PM
As for the caribou migrating out of the wolves territory to calve, that's about the most uniformed statement I've ever heard. The only thing that limits a wolf pack's territory is another wolf pack.

True, wolf territory is no specific area. they go to where the best groceries are, and the best easiest groceries are tasty tender calves. When the groceries move the wolves follow.

People need to learn what wolves actually do rather than rely on old folklore tales and things that National Geographic, Canadian Geographic and TV nature shows offer.

Wives tales like "Wolves only eat the sick and the old" are nonsense. When they run out of sick and old do they eat strawberries and poplar bark the other 11 1/2 months of the year. Nothing lives long enough to get sick or old when there are high numbers of wolves around.

elk396
12-28-2017, 06:04 PM

Thumbs up to your comment on this Tyler!! You had me worried on the Break and Enter thread, but you've redeemed yourself here! lol