PDA

View Full Version : Best general use quad tires

The Elkster
12-27-2017, 01:25 PM
I'm going to be in the market for quad tires before the new season and I'm wondering what my best value options are. Most reviews seem to focus on the more extreme mud tires. I'm do mostly logging road driving with the odd mud hole or rocky hill but nothing major. I do run into areas with downed branches that may puncture a tire so I don't want totally light weight low ply but don't want something too heavy that may inhibit quad performance too much as I only have a 450. I am mainly focused on ride smoothness and durability with reasonable weight at stock size. Just starting my research but figured some of the practical guys here may have some suggestions on a good value all terrain tire to help get me started in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

nast70
12-27-2017, 01:45 PM
When I picked up my new quad this summer, I was going to go with Maxxis mud lites. The wife has them on hers and quite happy with them. I talked to my guy at Rapid Revolutions and ended up going with Wild Things. I went one size up and one inch wider. Quite happy with them in the soft stuff. Worked well our last trip out in the snow too. The best part is the hard pack ride is quiet and smooth. Better than the mud lites. They were a tad cheaper too.

jcrayford
12-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Had an Outlander 400 with stock tires on it, sold it to my brother and he's still running those same tires (OEM). It's a 2006 quad.

I've got another Outlander with those same tires. Still going good as well.

Father in law has an Outlander with over 6000 km and they're still sunning strong.

Carlisle ACT are the brand and models and they ride nice. Not overly aggressive but spin on a 400 class machine (and bigger) nice. Lots to find on kijiji and other sites. No one seems to want those OEM tires, but I'll buy them for the same type of riding you describe all day long.

J.

Edit: I've seen a set of 4 on Kijiji for as little as $200 (take-offs)

Alberta bull hunter
12-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Go with Maxxis Big horns if they still make them. I have a 2014 RZR S that came with them from factory(might have been big horn 2.0's). They were great all around tires, excellent for climbing obstacles, i found them very smooth riding as well. Not bad on ice and snow and decent for a little mud. I upgraded to bigger size Zillas just because i found myself in the mud more often than not, but if i was after all around tires i would go back to the big horns.

bear crossing
12-27-2017, 03:54 PM
You wont go wrong with itp mudlites.have them since o5 on my 450 foreman and on my 012 rhino,never an issue

blgoodbrand1
12-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Go with 26” mudbugs.
Mud lites are the worst tire ever made.
I make my living riding and that’s what I have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homesteader
12-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Had an Outlander 400 with stock tires on it, sold it to my brother and he's still running those same tires (OEM). It's a 2006 quad.

I've got another Outlander with those same tires. Still going good as well.

Father in law has an Outlander with over 6000 km and they're still sunning strong.

Carlisle ACT are the brand and models and they ride nice. Not overly aggressive but spin on a 400 class machine (and bigger) nice. Lots to find on kijiji and other sites. No one seems to want those OEM tires, but I'll buy them for the same type of riding you describe all day long.

J.

Edit: I've seen a set of 4 on Kijiji for as little as $200 (take-offs)

X10, these are what I bought from Riverside. They had lots of new take offs, very impressed with the ACT’s for the price.

Sooner
12-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Stock tires are not what they used to be, more aggressive and better lugs. I know lots of people who buy the take offs and love them for basic trail riding. Don't dig yourself down too far either.

Smokinyotes
12-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Any of the big mud tires are too big and rob power. They are also so stiff they handle and ride like crap. I wouldn’t put any tire on that wasn’t a radial.
As said above the Carlisle ACT are a very good tire. I replaced my Carlisle’s with , bighorns. They are better traction but it definitely rides a little tougher.

leadpillproductions
12-27-2017, 05:22 PM
I got some stock tires for sale

Fwee6
12-27-2017, 09:51 PM
I put Bighorn 2.0's on my Rancher 420 last year, and love 'em. 1" bigger than stock. Huge difference with grip, especially when cornering. I'm rarely over 20 km/h, but even then a big difference over stock tires.

Mackinaw
12-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Carlisle mud wolfs at princessauto.

mack

Kurt505
12-28-2017, 08:07 AM
Mud Bugs are awesome in muskeg, they won't rip it up like many other tires, so if muskeg is a concern of yours I'd go that route, but they'll wear quick on gravel. Zilla's are a great all round tire with exceptional performance in mud and snow, and probably the lightest aggressive tire on the market, it would be my top pick for an all round off road tire. Bighorns are a tough durable "all weather" tire, not necessarily great at anything but will get you through most situations, but I don't think you can find a better all round trail tire. Moderately aggressive, smooth riding, and wear well even on gravel. For wthe type of riding you describe I'd suggest the bighorn without a doubt.

pikeman06
12-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Another vote for the mud bugs here. As said above they do nice in the muskeg and a great all round tire that's priced reasonable aswell. I end up on the gravel quite a bit at work as I use the roads to access other parts of the jobs and they hold up very well. By the way I running a 700 grizzly and if anything the tread might be a little aggressive for a small light machine but that's just a guess.

Penner
12-28-2017, 11:25 AM
ATV tires Canada has some good prices on tires. Bought some from them last spring delivered right to my door step. Lots of selections.

tacomama
12-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Not sure where you're at, but I got my Kenda Bearclaws for the best price from Casterland in Calgary, compared to anyone local or online. These tires are great and not crazy expensive.

rawhide
12-28-2017, 10:39 PM
I vote for Big Horns 2.0, I have been running them for years on my Can-Am 1000XT. Put over 6000km on them so far and still over half thread left. I ride hard rocky trails, sand and a lot of winter snow pack trails. Works great, plus the few mud holes I go thru, works fine. Ride with lots of guys and they all tried the above mentioned tires too, they all switched over to the Big Horns 2.0:) Never got a flat yet, :fighting0030:

jayquiver
12-29-2017, 10:35 PM
I replaced my Carlisle’s Act2 with IPT Mudlite XTP ( radial) 8 ply I think. Love them. Great upgrade. I would classify them as an aggressive all a-rounder. Not sure if the size or weight for your quad. My buddy has stock Big Horns on his Kawasaki Terex and they went through everything this fall. Was very impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fordtruckin
03-12-2018, 10:54 PM
So I'm looking for new tires for my work quad. I'm kinda stuck price wise as I have a bunch of work to do on it since the last guy who had this quad didn't do jack for maintenance.... (or on my boat or snowmobile or dirt bike or horse trailer... the guy literally took care of NOTHING and now I'm stuck fixing all my gear from my budget) Anyways, will pretty much any ATV dealer have take offs from machines people bought and swapped out tires before they took possession of the machine? And if so are they generally a better price then purchasing some aftermarket tires as they are take offs that were paid for once? Thanks in advance all!

Ice Fishing Maniac
03-12-2018, 11:15 PM
I had Swamp Lites on my Honda 450es. Great tires, not overly aggressive, gave a smooth ride on hardpack trails, good traction when required . When I bought my Rhino it had radial Mud Lite XTRs and a normal Mud Lite would be good for an atv. Buddy has Swamp Lites on his Rhino, works great

TUFFBUFF
03-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Not sure where you're at, but I got my Kenda Bearclaws for the best price from Casterland in Calgary, compared to anyone local or online. These tires are great and not crazy expensive.

Are yours the Bearclaw EVO? I'm looking for some as well and narrowed it down to these I think, should be tones better than factory and good compromise for trails and a bit of mud etc.

I use mine around the farm and a bit of hunting and to get to some fishing holes. Don't think I need the fancy mud tires and have used the stock Honda ones for the last 8yrs ( not a fan, especially now that almost wore out). If I get stuck I got a winch :).

The father in law has same quad with one of the popular mud tires and it doesn't handle as nice and top speed lower.
I would think the best general use tire wouldn't be a mud bug / lite or super swampers? No?

operator john
03-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Check out FortNine.
I was just reading ITP has come out with a new 8 ply tire called the Coyote.

Hunter guy
03-13-2018, 11:26 PM
I’ve got two older Honda’s they have the Firestone dirt hooks best tires ever, 12000km and 9600km and they look like brand new great in mud and pushing snow

Hillbilly 12
03-13-2018, 11:27 PM
I’ve got two older Honda’s they have the Firestone dirt hooks best tires ever, 12000km and 9600km and they look like brand new great in mud and pushing snow

C2, these are a wild tire, pretty tough

Big Grey Wolf
03-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Still running my origional stock tires on 500 Vinson quad at 12000km, Quad used to skid logs on trapline.

hogie
03-14-2018, 12:37 PM
I just put Zillas on my quad. Huge difference from stock. Really noticed it when plowing snow last dump. Had no problems pushing snow. Definitely better traction on trails as well.