PDA

View Full Version : Burbot Bait

HowSwedeItIs
12-27-2017, 06:17 PM
What's your favourite bait to use? I typically load up a big jig with minnows I've folded in half, but you see guys using all sorts of things. Chicken gizzards? Cocktail shrimps? Dog food? Powerbait? Do you like to use fresh stuff, or do you let it 'turn'?

NSR Fisher
12-27-2017, 06:19 PM
The stinky-er the better. Sometimes a combination of a few different things does the trick.

I met an old timer one time who swore by beef heart / liver. The more blood the better, according to him.

3blade
12-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Very oily fish parts. I want to see a fish oil slick on top of the hole when I drop it down. Also fresh bloody gills out of any recent catches. Minnows if you don't have access to those two.

Never catch them on gulp/power bait myself.

TylerThomson
12-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Beef heart and liver, chunks of smelt, raw chicken, are my go It's.

NSR Fisher
12-27-2017, 07:58 PM
It's too bad cisco's are considered a gamefish here in Alberta and can't be used as bait.

They are the type of really oily fish that would be excellent for Burbot. If I recall correctly, Cisco's is what the Konrads use for their trophy Diefenbaker Burbs over in Saskatchewan. I'd imagine they would work like a charm for Pike and Lake Trout as well.

PerchBuster
12-28-2017, 08:52 AM
I read an article where a guy in Sask targets Burbs using a chunk of the Pectoral or Pelvic fins attached to a nice chunk of the belly skin/meat from either Northern Pike or Walleye that he catches. It makes for a bulky bait with plenty of scent distribution and you can cut it to shape so it looks pretty natural like a wounded baitfish. Doesn’t come off easy like a Minnow can either. The science behind this use of bait choice is that since Northerns and Walleyes are the typical apex predators in these Western lakes and reservoirs any other species will naturally and readily attack and consume any vulnerable, wounded, young or otherwise eatable member of those species. It went on to say this is true of other species as well since it’s a constant tug of war relationship between prey and predator, and any prey type species will convert every opportunity to kill off a vulnerable member of a predatory species given the chance. I found that very interesting but does make quite a lot of sense. Eat them first before they grow big and eat you sort of thing.

TylerThomson
12-28-2017, 09:58 AM
I've heard of people cutting out the natural fork of white skin under the chin of a fish and using it as a natural Mr twister.

NSR Fisher
12-28-2017, 10:01 AM
You can use the fins and eyes of Walleye / Pike but you best not use a strip of belly meat :-)

Interesting concept.

NSR Fisher
12-28-2017, 10:03 AM
I've heard of people cutting out the natural fork of white skin under the chin of a fish and using it as a natural Mr twister.

Since you're allowed to use Suckers as bait in alberta, try using a strip of their flesh. Its incredibly tough and rubbery so it stays on a hook well, and it has a nice action in current. You can catch some big walleye and pike using a small strip of sucker meat, popping it up off the bottom using it almost like a soft plastic jerkbait.

Positrac
12-28-2017, 10:07 AM
What about using salmon roe? I’ve got access to as much cured roe as I could ever use from a buddy back on the Island.

I wonder if there would be and legality issues with using it up here. I would think that as long as the lake/river is open for using bait a guy should be good to go.

I doubt a Burb could pass up a big gob in a fine mesh sack like what we used to use Steelheading.

straight
12-28-2017, 10:13 AM
I use a narrow strip of salted salmon skin on jig head for pike, walleye. It should work for burbot. To me it is better than smelt - oily, tough and looks like fish when jigging. And it is cheaper - one piece could last all day:)

dwedmon
12-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Anything oily, I use herring and anchovies. You can get these easily at superstore. They are big so I usually rig 1 whole one on a deadstick or windlass in case a huge fish is around and I use cut pieces to jig. Ripping off the head so that some guts trail along works very well on a jig.

EZM
12-28-2017, 11:28 AM
I land more burbs using a small rattlin' rap (with no bait) pounded on the bottom versus any and all baits combined.

If I'm on a tip up - it's usually something oily like a herring or smelt.

HowSwedeItIs
12-28-2017, 01:04 PM
Wow I'll have to make a 'shopping list', thanks everybody

I wish they would relax the regs a bit when it comes to using ocean-going fish as bait. Why are herring alright but not mackerel?

TROLLER
12-28-2017, 02:34 PM
pickled herring from Costco. Very soft so I let it sit on the counter overnight so it firms up. Stays on the hook no problem.

Bushleague
12-28-2017, 07:33 PM
I don't get fancy. Usually a 1/2 oz Len Thompson with a half minnow on it. Pound the bottom and shake the heck out of it.

bwackwabbit
12-28-2017, 08:24 PM
This is gonna sound crazy but give olives a try.

I use them one or two on the shank of a large treble on my JawJacker rod.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ssyd
12-28-2017, 10:31 PM
Bacon off a Timmy's BLT. Order extra bacon on it.