PDA

View Full Version : WD40 repel fish?

jr_80
12-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Ended up with some rusty ice gear due to a package of elk sausage being left over in a sealed tote over summer. Ran it through the dishwasher and managed to get rid 90% of the stink but need to de-rust it.

Any ideas? Thinking WD and SOS pads but don't want to deter the fish.

Dewey Cox
12-29-2017, 04:49 PM
I’ve heard the original wd40 formula contained fish oil and attracted the fish.
Try to find a can of old stock.

Game Hunter
12-29-2017, 07:20 PM

Sounds like a myth

Sundancefisher
12-29-2017, 07:26 PM

Not true

WD40 is a pollutant when it gets into rivers and lakes.

Mackinaw
12-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Ended up with some rusty ice gear due to a package of elk sausage being left over in a sealed tote over summer. Ran it through the dishwasher and managed to get rid 90% of the stink but need to de-rust it.

Any ideas? Thinking WD and SOS pads but don't want to deter the fish.

apple cider vinegar.

mack

Isopod
12-30-2017, 12:24 AM
You don't say what is the rusty gear. If it is expensive stuff like a camera then I would go the extra mile to try to clean it. If it is something like tip-ups then sure clean it, oil it, and it should work fine. If it stuff like lures then throw them away and go out and re-stock. Rusty, dull lures will never regain their original flash and shine so you would be fishing substandard lures and will end up with substandard fishing.

PlayDoh
12-30-2017, 09:37 AM
It would have to be some serious gear for me not to immediately reseal the tote and dispose of it like a bio-hazard. Like a few coolers from the past.
The rust removers I find the best are the Lysol toilet bowl cleaners, deep reach or advanced. You’ll have to let it soak for an hour or so, then wash it a few times afterwards.
Muriatic acid will remove rust and scale in minutes but use it outside or in a ventilated area. Don’t let either touch your skin, and rinse right away if it does. And don’t dump the muriatic acid down the drain. You can get it at home hardware pretty cheap.
Use baking soda after you rinse to neutralize the acid.
Yet again it’s hard to imagine what would fit in a tote that’s worth the effort. I suppose it depends on the size of the tote, yet you did mention fish smelling it.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikebreath
12-30-2017, 10:28 AM
Go ahead and soak the lures in WD40 or similar penetrating oil (such as Liquid Wrench) for a day or two,,, Scrub them, then wipe dry thoroughly. Leave them out for a few days to air dry and dissipate any lingering scent. You can do a fresh water rinse if desired and let air dry again. This process takes a few days,,, but I have salvaged many lures that were severely corroded from saltwater use doing this.

You may have to change hooks out or resharpen them as a rusted hook will be dull even if you get most of the rust off.

FWIW,,, if guys are concerned about petrochemical residues on their lures polluting waterways,,, maybe we should first ban all motorized watercraft and outlaw backing boat trailers into the water if we really want to make a difference!!!

jr_80
12-30-2017, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys. I'm making progress and in ways that won't pollute our water ways.

I didn't specify what was in the tote cause I build all my gear. It's not stuff that can be purchased. Like said above I'll be putting new hooks on. I can't just throw it away because obviously it's invaluable... to me. Appreciate the help.

PlayDoh
12-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Baking soda does a good job of neutralizing chemical reactions and absorbing odors. Maybe a final step would be to let them sit in a sealed container with some baking soda?

338Bluff
12-30-2017, 09:23 PM
I was on a guided catfish adventure 10 years ago and our guide sprayed the chunks of sucker with WD40. Can't say we caught more without but it didn't stop them from biting.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk