PDA

View Full Version : Winchell lake ice fishing?

PikeMonkey
12-30-2017, 01:30 PM
As winchell near Cochrane is aerated, is there any fishable sections of the lake? If not is there any small trout lakes close to Calgary?

TROLLER
12-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Best bet is Severn east on 564

Flieguy
12-31-2017, 11:52 AM
Sibbald meadows pond can be ok, dickson trout pond I've heard also. Most of the stocked ponds get fished out really fast due to pressure from calgary. If you want consistent action, go down to chain lakes south of longview

PikeMonkey
12-31-2017, 11:22 PM
I kind of want quality over quantity, I’m willing to go out to the mountains, like spray or lower k, just have no idea what the secondary hwys are like, and we have a small car.

wmw9
01-02-2018, 08:52 AM
Spent the morning at Winchell last week. We didn't have any bites. We spoke with the 2 other groups out there and they didn't have any luck either.

Flieguy
01-02-2018, 10:34 AM
I kind of want quality over quantity, I’m willing to go out to the mountains, like spray or lower k, just have no idea what the secondary hwys are like, and we have a small car.

spray can be decent early in the morning, fish deep with a small tube jig and some shrimp (try not to mess up the profile of the tube jig). do a forum search. it should be car accessible as long as you have decent winter tires, the road gets plowed

there are very few trout lakes near calgary in which the trout get larger than maybe 14". They're all overstocked and overfished.