PDA

View Full Version : Is your block heater actually working?

gitrdun
12-30-2017, 05:16 PM
When I plug in my Silverado diesel, I can actually hear the block heater warming up. On my Toyota 4Runner, not so, I can't hear a thing. I suppose that I could pull a wire from the appropriate breaker on my breaker panel and check it with a clamp-on amp meter. The extension cords with the diode that light up only signify that voltage is present. But, it doesn't signify that the block heater is drawing current as it should. I opted to find a quicker method. I found this little device at Canadian Tire. When both test lights come on, all is good and the quiet block heater is drawing amperage and working as it should. I figured that I should put this out there during this cold snap. My 4Runner block heater is working just fine. A mere $21.00 something is worthwhile engine protection. :)

https://s19.postimg.org/ekil0yrnj/plugalive.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ekil0yrnj/)

Norwest Alta
12-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Multi meter works just fine. If it’s got continuity it’s working.

gulfman
12-30-2017, 05:21 PM

X2

gitrdun
12-30-2017, 05:22 PM

How many ohms are the norm? I'm asking because I had thought of checking resistance but had no idea as to the desirable value.

Norwest Alta
12-30-2017, 05:27 PM
How many ohms are the norm? I'm asking because I had thought of checking resistance but had no idea as to the desirable value.

I couldn’t say. If it makes a circuit it’s good. Your 4 runner might have a thermostat on the cord and it might not show that it’s working. Cut that off and put a real plug on it.

Trochu
12-30-2017, 05:31 PM

So turn it to ohms, black on one prong red on the other, should red about 25? I have my doubts mines working, plugged in and it seems to start slow.

gitrdun
12-30-2017, 05:31 PM
I couldn’t say. If it makes a circuit it’s good. Your 4 runner might have a thermostat on the cord and it might not show that it’s working. Cut that off and put a real plug on it.

Thanks. If there is a thermostat on it, it's gone. :)

gulfman
12-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Your 4 runner might have a thermostat on the cord and it might not show that it’s working. Cut that off and put a real plug on it.

Very good point!! Typically the 600 watt heater will have 23-25 ohms of resistance. Diesel block heaters probably more

gitrdun
12-30-2017, 05:35 PM

If it has continuity, doesn't it mean that there could be a short? :confused:

KUDUHNTR
12-30-2017, 05:35 PM
When I plug in my Silverado diesel, I can actually hear the block heater warming up. On my Toyota 4Runner, not so, I can't hear a thing. I suppose that I could pull a wire from the appropriate breaker on my breaker panel and check it with a clamp-on amp meter. The extension cords with the diode that light up only signify that voltage is present. But, it doesn't signify that the block heater is drawing current as it should. I opted to find a quicker method. I found this little device at Canadian Tire. When both test lights come on, all is good and the quiet block heater is drawing amperage and working as it should. I figured that I should put this out there during this cold snap. My 4Runner block heater is working just fine. A mere $21.00 something is worthwhile engine protection. :)

https://s19.postimg.org/ekil0yrnj/plugalive.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ekil0yrnj/)

We have a 2013 4 Runner as-well, block heater does not make noise that you can hear, but it works! I would like to pick up on of those cords from Can Trie also!

Ken07AOVette
12-30-2017, 05:38 PM
also use a short as possible extension cord, long cords that are typically only 14 or 12ga will lose power depending on draw

Pathfinder76
12-30-2017, 05:41 PM
You will know in the morning.

Norwest Alta
12-30-2017, 05:41 PM
If it has continuity, doesn't it mean that there could be a short? :confused:

No. Electricity run on a circuit. No continuity means the circuit is broke. Could be the cord. Might be the heater element. If you have no continuity unplug the cord from the element then check for continuity thru element.

owlhoot
12-30-2017, 05:46 PM
My diesel had a circulating block heater that you could here, My gas jobby doesn't so I use one of those Cdn Tire devices to ensure it is working. Its good for testing cords also

gitrdun
12-30-2017, 05:50 PM
You will know in the morning.

I prefer my method. :)

catnthehat
12-30-2017, 06:03 PM
My F350 had a faulty plug , checked with the multi meter it had intermittent continuity .
Changed the plug at the block heater and the 6 litre deisel fires up in -40 no problem :)
Cat

Suzukisam
12-30-2017, 06:11 PM
You won’t hear it make noise on newer Toyota because the block heater is not in coolent. It’s in an open air space in the block heating up the metal and slowly radiate to the rest of the engine. Basicly it’s an external heater

gulfman
12-30-2017, 06:13 PM
So turn it to ohms, black on one prong red on the other, should red about 25? I have my doubts mines working, plugged in and it seems to start slow. Exactly

Tfng
12-30-2017, 06:30 PM
I've always looked/listened for the spark when it makes or breaks contact.

Passthru
12-30-2017, 06:32 PM
You won’t hear it make noise on newer Toyota because the block heater is not in coolent. It’s in an open air space in the block heating up the metal and slowly radiate to the rest of the engine. Basicly it’s an external heater

Agreed. My Tacoma block heater doesn't make the usual hiss my chevys have in the past but it still works. Must be the different design.

gitrdun
12-30-2017, 06:34 PM

I didn't know that. But it's good information, thanks. :)

bulletman
12-30-2017, 06:36 PM
When I plug in my TACOMA i can clearly hear it start.

gitrdun
12-30-2017, 06:54 PM
OK guys, I totally understand and appreciate all of your input as far as checking things with multi meters, etc. But not everyone is equipped with such test instruments, nor are they familiar with their uses. This simple little device makes it easy for the regular run of the mill family guy or gall to ensure that his or her heater is working. :)

Pathfinder76
12-30-2017, 06:55 PM
I prefer my method. :)

And if you find out it isn’t working the morning result will be the same.

Trochu
12-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Exactly

Thanks. An electrician I'm not.

gitrdun
12-30-2017, 06:59 PM
And if you find out it isn’t working the morning result will be the same.

Right, you are correct. But at least I'll find out that there is a problem that needs fixing. For crying out loud chuck, I'm simply trying out to send out a little help out there for folks in need. Seriously though, if you or anyone else should feel smarter, then simply ignore this post and move on, it's that simple. :)

CMichaud
12-30-2017, 07:02 PM

I check mine and the wife's every year using this.

This year it showed ok and then I noticed that the second light went out. Jiggled the cable and started smoking. Had a little slice in the cord on the BH side and was shorting out. Cut the cord and replaced with new plug now all is good.

Mr Flyguy
12-30-2017, 07:03 PM
I've always looked/listened for the spark when it makes or breaks contact.

Exactly. My 2013 4-Runner does not make a sound but when I disconnect the cord I see a reassuring little arc.

Which made me have doubts about the block heater on my 2010 Tacoma. Sure enough, had it plugged in for 6 hours on Thursday but no go that evening.

elkhunter11
12-30-2017, 07:13 PM
When block heaters fail, they usually leave an open circuit with no continuity. If I am curious as to whether it is okay, I use my multimeter.

RACKER
12-30-2017, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the great info.That device will make it very easy to check it out.People can never be happy with anything.Im an electrician with quality meters and i would use that.

TimeOff
12-30-2017, 07:31 PM
Usually I have found the plug end has broken wires from flexing after a few seasons. Just back of the plug. The flat 3 wire cord on those things are not of great quality.
Cut plug end off and put a new plug on with electrical tape wrapped back from plug a couple inches, that will stop the bending near the plug that breaks the wires internally.
Otherwise, the heat element in the frost plug will corrode enough to short out and blow itself out of the block thru shorting, indicated by a pool of antifreeze under the vehicle.

catnthehat
12-30-2017, 07:33 PM
Usually I have found the plug end has broken wires from flexing after a few seasons. Just back of the plug. The flat 3 wire cord on those things are not of great quality.
Cut plug end off and put a new plug on with electrical tape wrapped back from plug a couple inches, that will stop the bending near the plug that breaks the wires internally.
Otherwise, the heat element in the frost plug will corrode enough to short out and blow itself out of the block thru shorting, indicated by a pool of antifreeze under the vehicle.

my problem was inside the plug itself with one of the prongs- never saw that before
Cat

speedfreak
12-30-2017, 07:37 PM
when I disconnect the cord I see a reassuring little arc

Just make sure if it's on a GFCI plug (most newer outside plugs are) that it doesn't trip. Sometimes that little arc is enough to pop the plug and leave the outlet unpowered.

Sundancefisher
12-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Do new car block heaters draw power 24/7 or does it cycle on and off? If cycling what is the cycle? Time on. Time off.

Unregistered user
12-30-2017, 08:11 PM
Good info gitrdun, thanx for posting.

Bellero
12-30-2017, 08:37 PM
I can't hear if mine's working or not but I can definitely tell just by the time it takes the heater to push warm air and the engine temp to raise.

Dr. Phil A
12-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Years ago I built a circuit tester for exactly this test.
Male and female three prong plugs
1 - 2 wire light socket with pig tails and a bulb. Has to be a real bulb. 60 watt rough service bulb works well.
1 foot of house wire. Peel the white covery off.
Put one wire pigtail off the light socket to the male end and the other pigtaIl wire to the corresponding post on the female end.
Pull two wires out of the 1 foot chunk am attach them to the male and female plugs.
Plug your cord into the male end and your block heater into the female end. If the circuit is good the light comes on.
No light no good. Always test it on a known good circuit just to make sure.

Desert Eagle
12-30-2017, 09:05 PM
How many of you plug in your vehicles? And at what temperature?

We have not plugged in a gasoline engine vehicle in many many years. It was -37 yesterday and they both fired up no issues.

Trochu
12-30-2017, 09:07 PM

We have not plugged in a gasoline engine vehicle in many many years. It was -37 yesterday and they both fired up no issues.

I plug mine in when it gets cold, but generally try to park it in the garage.

For me, when its outside, its not about it not starting when its cold, its about the additional wear experienced from a cold start.

Trochu
12-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Do new car block heaters draw power 24/7 or does it cycle on and off? If cycling what is the cycle? Time on. Time off.

I know of no light vehicle that cycles the block heater.

Norwest Alta
12-30-2017, 09:15 PM

My diesel gets plugged in around -5. Same as the wife's truck. I feel that it is better for them and I'd be surprised if you'd notice it on the power bill unless you leave it plugged in 24/7.

Norwest Alta
12-30-2017, 09:20 PM

I think some do. My brother was saying that on his truck the cord has a thermostat controlled switch that comes on at -15. I'm not so sure about my truck but the little spark that others mentioned can only be seen on mine when the engine is cold and I plug it in. If I plug it in with the engine already warm I haven't seen it.

Xbolt7mm
12-30-2017, 09:30 PM
I use a cord that has a light at the end when its plugged in so i know the cord is good to go, plug it in for about 5 minutes so i know the heater is drawing power then unplug it fast from the wall, it will spark if the heater is working. It wont spark if the heater is not working, hard to tell in the daylight though.

Dick284
12-30-2017, 09:33 PM
I just use a cheater test cord I have and use a clip on ammeter.

elkhunter11
12-30-2017, 09:42 PM
I just use a cheater test cord I have and use a clip on ammeter.

I used to do that, until my clamp on meter died. I haven't gotten around to purchasing a new one.

Unregistered user
12-30-2017, 10:40 PM

I'm cheap, I plug in at -15 and less. Cold starts are brutal on engines.

Bub
12-30-2017, 10:48 PM
I plug in at -25 - -30. Plugged mine in yesterday for the first time this year (even though it's been below 30 for a few days now). I don't really check it because I know it works when I start the vehicle in the morning or whenever.

I installed one of those myself in a 4Runner before and yes, it is a weird one, meaning an unusual heater, it plugs in the block and warms up the metal.

Mackinaw
12-30-2017, 10:55 PM

just because you have continuity dose not mean your bo k heater is working properly.
without knowing tbe resistance of the heater you can't be sure it is heating to its proper amount

mack

RZR
12-31-2017, 12:21 AM

Your well educated! :lol:

crazy_davey
12-31-2017, 12:49 AM
Your well educated! :lol:

You’re the real genius here, right? LOL! :rolleye2:

Dick284
12-31-2017, 04:42 AM
I used to do that, until my clamp on meter died. I haven't gotten around to purchasing a new one.

That's what ya get for retiring.

You could also just put a voltage dropping resistor in series, and measure the voltage drop induced by the current flow. But I digress, just go buy a Princess Auto cheapie, and move along. Or phone a friend.

Dick284
12-31-2017, 04:53 AM
just because you have continuity dose not mean your bo k heater is working properly.
without knowing tbe resistance of the heater you can't be sure it is heating to its proper amount

mack

If you know the wattage, you can mathematically find the resistance.

Power(Watt's)= Voltage(Volts)[squared]/Resistance(Ohms)

Do a bit of grade 7 math and you'll come up with:

Resistance(Ohms) = Voltage[squared](Volts)/ Power(Watt's)

https://i.imgur.com/tcrjVxm.png

Bottom row center.

C'mon fellas this shouldn't be this hard, back when I was like 7 or 8 my dad who was a only a Millwright, was faced with the same dilemma, he stood me in front of our watthour meter(power meter) and plugged in the car block heater, he hollered is the silver thing turning faster? I said "yup" it sure did speed up. Done deal.(I dunno if the new watthour meters would show this though) but I've got the "knack" as they say.
https://youtu.be/Dx6HojLBsnw

Taco
12-31-2017, 07:15 AM
Any competent mechanic shop will check your block heater every time they service your vehicle.

Smokinyotes
12-31-2017, 07:50 AM
Meh. I never check mine. It’s always +15C in my shop. :)

RZR
12-31-2017, 08:18 AM
You’re the real genius here, right? LOL! :rolleye2:

You know it brother. :sHa_shakeshout:

58thecat
12-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Plug in and I can hear the block heater kick in...-15 or colder....usually.

purgatory.sv
12-31-2017, 09:09 AM
I use an older voltmeter purchase from radio shack ,i check the cord then the heater,i have had to replace the plug and followed the procedure described in post#31.

sledn
12-31-2017, 10:25 AM
General Motors vehicles have the block heater thermostatically controlled-they will not give power to the block heater unless it is below -18'c. Not sure about other manufactures.

marlin1
12-31-2017, 10:32 AM
-15 or lower and I will plug in at work , -25 maybe in garage at home with no heat . why wear down the engine to prove it will start temps is my opinion . neat little device op could barely hear girlfriends chevy heater come on last nite .

ctd
12-31-2017, 12:45 PM
Any competent mechanic shop will check your block heater every time they service your vehicle.

Lol they barely do what they say they did let alone anything considered extra.

Bub
12-31-2017, 01:18 PM
^ lol. Last time I went (years ago now), the guy refused to check the tire pressure when I had a low pressure light on.

bobinthesky
12-31-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm cheap, I plug in at -15 and less. Cold starts are brutal on engines.

A good synthetic oil lessens that cold start wear.

huntsfurfish
12-31-2017, 01:22 PM

Thanks gitrdun! The older I get, the more I like easy. And thanks guys for the other helpful posts. I have a couple multi meters kicking around here but I am going to get one of these.:sHa_shakeshout::)

Norwest Alta
12-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Thanks gitrdun! The older I get, the more I like easy. And thanks guys for the other helpful posts. I have a couple multi meters kicking around here but I am going to get one of these.:sHa_shakeshout::)

I'm sure it works but it is $21 down the drain when wife drive's off without unplugging it. Lol. I'd have to buy bulk.

gitrdun
12-31-2017, 02:51 PM
I'm sure it works but it is $21 down the drain when wife drive's off without unplugging it. Lol. I'd have to buy bulk.

You don't need to leave it plugged in. I just used mine to check that the block heater was working. When both lights came on, I was satisfied. Unplugged it and put it in my tool box of electrical gizmos. :)

gitrdun
12-31-2017, 02:54 PM

When you get older, you find smarter and easier ways to get things done. I just fixed a minor problem with our stove. While I was down on the floor, I contemplated what else might I do while I was down there. :sHa_shakeshout:

Norwest Alta
12-31-2017, 02:56 PM
You don't need to leave it plugged in. I just used mine to check that the block heater was working. When both lights came on, I was satisfied. Unplugged it and put it in my tool box of electrical gizmos. :)

Oh ok thanks

gitrdun
12-31-2017, 03:10 PM
Oh ok thanks

Hey, you're most welcomed. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be at the root of a problem with you and the war department. :sHa_shakeshout:

Norwest Alta
12-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Hey, you're most welcomed. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be at the root of a problem with you and the war department. :sHa_shakeshout:

No danger of that. I'm wrong she's right. This has been established many many moons ago but if I could blame it on you that would be much appreciated. Lol

gitrdun
12-31-2017, 03:21 PM
No danger of that. I'm wrong she's right. This has been established many many moons ago but if I could blame it on you that would be much appreciated. Lol

Oh buddy, I walk the same line. But it makes for a much happier marriage. Go ahead and blame me if you must, I can shoulder it. But most importantly I have a ways with the ladies, my charm, magnetic personality. And once upon a time, my Adonis like physique. Of course, you realize I'm full of bull. :sHa_shakeshout:

Norwest Alta
12-31-2017, 03:33 PM
Oh buddy, I walk the same line. But it makes for a much happier marriage. Go ahead and blame me if you must, I can shoulder it. But most importantly I have a ways with the ladies, my charm, magnetic personality. And once upon a time, my Adonis like physique. Of course, you realize I'm full of bull. :sHa_shakeshout:

I have much of the same traits. Except I tell her a can touch my ear with my tongue. Used to work but I think she figured out I'm a bs'er to.

huntsfurfish
12-31-2017, 04:42 PM

Lol, never thought of that.

silver
12-31-2017, 05:07 PM
They are a darn handy tool. I picked one up a bunch of years ago and I use it like you do, test a circuit every now and again. I have been trying to think of how to mount one and not lose it, still working on that.

pikergolf
12-31-2017, 05:11 PM
I have much of the same traits. Except I tell her a can touch my ear with my tongue. Used to work but I think she figured out I'm a bs'er to.

My gawd you must have big ears. :)

Unregistered user
12-31-2017, 09:48 PM
A good synthetic oil lessens that cold start wear.

But for 50 cents a night, you can eliminate it, plus your heater gives warm air that much quicker.

bobinthesky
01-01-2018, 07:40 AM
But for 50 cents a night, you can eliminate it, plus your heater gives warm air that much quicker.

That's great if you have an outlet.
I started using synthetic oil 25 years ago because I couldn't park near a plug in when I was out of town for a few days. These days I still can't get near a plug in when I'm out of town so I still run synthetic oil and keep a good battery installed. My vehicles always start and I keep them up to around 200k and buy a new one. To date I've never had an oil related or engine wear problem, maybe the guy who gets my old vehicle has but that's the gamble you take when purchasing used.

58thecat
01-01-2018, 07:48 AM
My gawd you must have big ears. :)

Must be British royalty eh!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Block heaters still working....she is purring or that might be a cat unde the hood.

elkhunter11
01-01-2018, 08:17 AM

That 50 cents per night easily pays for the difference in using synthetic oil, and then some, if you purchase AMS oil at the preferred customer price.

thumper
01-01-2018, 09:10 AM

Oft-times, you can be right, or you can be happy. It's your choice!
My fishing buddy and I have an understanding: when on fishing trips, we DO NOT CORRECT EACH OTHER - ever. That way we can enjoy a couple of days without being wrong!

denied access
01-01-2018, 09:20 AM
I plug in when it gets below zero but have a timer. 2 hrs until temps hit -15 then 4 hrs. Much cheaper on the power bill then plugging in all night and much easier on the engine in the morning.

Norwest Alta
01-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Oft-times, you can be right, or you can be happy. It's your choice!
My fishing buddy and I have an understanding: when on fishing trips, we DO NOT CORRECT EACH OTHER - ever. That way we can enjoy a couple of days without being wrong!

What's it like to be right? I might have to take up fishin to find out.

Dog_River
01-01-2018, 04:29 PM
I have a 2008 Ford Diesel 6.4. I have no continuity and looked to see if there is a fuse and can't find any in the owners manual.

I guess I just need to replace the block heater ? Any thoughts ?

Dog_River

Ken07AOVette
01-01-2018, 04:41 PM
I have a 2008 Ford Diesel 6.4. I have no continuity and looked to see if there is a fuse and can't find any in the owners manual.

Dog_River

There is most definately not a fuse. Your block heater cord is bad, the connection is bad, or your block heater is bad. Follow the cord up to the block and unplug the cord, test there and work your way back.

gitrdun
01-01-2018, 04:44 PM

Dog_River

No, I don't think that you need to replace your block heater. Lack of continuity may simply mean that the cord between your grill and it's connection on the block heater terminal has an open circuit, meaning a broken wire, bad connection at the plug end or at the block heater. Block heaters also don't use fuses, so that's not your problem. You can easily trouble shoot it with a multi-meter. I think that I could walk you through the process, however our good friend and knowledgeable and well educated friend Dick284 could likely walk you through the process better than I can.

Dog_River
01-01-2018, 05:05 PM
I will check it out with my meter and let you know what I find.

Thanks, Dog_River

elkhunter11
01-01-2018, 05:06 PM
No, I don't think that you need to replace your block heater. Lack of continuity may simply mean that the cord between your grill and it's connection on the block heater terminal has an open circuit, meaning a broken wire, bad connection at the plug end or at the block heater. Block heaters also don't use fuses, so that's not your problem. You can easily trouble shoot it with a multi-meter. I think that I could walk you through the process, however our good friend and knowledgeable and well educated friend Dick284 could likely walk you through the process better than I can.

After flexing in the cold for a while, the cords can break down to where they can't carry the load, and they burn through. I avoid this by leaving the block heater cord coiled up under the hood, with a short low temperature cord routed to the front of the vehicle, and fastened to the tow hood or frame. That way, the actual block heater cord does not flex and break down, and it can't get damaged if someone drives off without unplugging it. The worst that happens is that the short low temperature cord may need replacement at some point, and that is much cheaper and usually much easier to replace.

denied access
01-01-2018, 05:06 PM

Dog_River

Of course there is no fuse. Put a new end on the chord. Black to bronze, White to silver, green or copper to the bottom roundy prong.

elkhunter11
01-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Of course there is no fuse. Put a new end on the chord. Black to bronze, White to silver, green or copper to the bottom roundy prong.

The issue may be a break in the cord itself, or where it plugs into the block heater, it may not be a problem with the cord end.

denied access
01-01-2018, 05:19 PM
The issue may be a break in the cord itself, or where it plugs into the block heater, it may not be a problem with the cord end.

yep. But its probably the cord end and that the easiest place to start. Especially if he lets his wife drive it. Mine seems to forget to unplug it a couple times a year.

Unregistered user
01-01-2018, 08:00 PM
That 50 cents per night easily pays for the difference in using synthetic oil, and then some, if you purchase AMS oil at the preferred customer price.
I run Mobil 1 and I park inside at home. At work I plug in so it's company juice.

Trochu
01-01-2018, 08:14 PM

Dog_River

If it is indeed the cord, replacements can be bought online for about $15.00.

fordtruckin
01-01-2018, 08:48 PM
I know my f150 block heater works, You can hear it circulating the coolant when plugged in.

kayaker
01-01-2018, 08:52 PM
So turn it to ohms, black on one prong red on the other, should red about 25? I have my doubts mines working, plugged in and it seems to start slow.

My f-150 heater shows 25 ohms, the heater on my 2.4l 4 cyl Outlander shows 36 ohms (likely a 600 and 400 watt heater respectively).

As with the OP my F150 heater crackles and fizzes when it starts (my others have all done this too) but the Mitsubishi is silent and I thought it was broken (if you open the hood and its dead quite you might just make out a slight ping of expanding metal).

Johnny G1
01-01-2018, 10:15 PM
I know mine is working, the hood is clean but the fender's are covered in Ice?? 2001 cummins with a ft. of snow on the roof.

Norwest Alta
01-01-2018, 10:38 PM
Worry about it next year. -26 this am and at noon it was -2. +1 1/2 way between gc and gp.

Dog_River
01-04-2018, 05:02 PM
If it is indeed the cord, replacements can be bought online for about $15.00.

My cord was against the exhaust and burnt the cord. I see on ebay this one for $118.00 USD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-2008-2010-Ford-F-250-F-350-Super-Duty-Block-Heater-Cord-6-4L-DIESEL-/250892947713

where can you get them for $15.00 ?

Thanks, Dog_River

gitrdun
01-04-2018, 05:19 PM
double tap.

gitrdun
01-04-2018, 05:21 PM
I know my f150 block heater works, You can hear it circulating the coolant when plugged in.

What you are hearing isn't the block heater. It's the Ford rusting, and I can hear it from here in Chevy nation. :sHa_shakeshout:

Trochu
01-04-2018, 06:37 PM
My cord was against the exhaust and burnt the cord. I see on ebay this one for $118.00 USD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-2008-2010-Ford-F-250-F-350-Super-Duty-Block-Heater-Cord-6-4L-DIESEL-/250892947713

where can you get them for $15.00 ?

Thanks, Dog_River

ebay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/95-16-Ford-Powerstroke-Diesel-Block-Heater-Element-Cord-for-6-0-6-4-6-7-7-3/332426596516?hash=item4d662b50a4:g:2kYAAOSwry1Z8fK B&vxp=mtr)

Sorry, was $15USD. Can't speak to the quality though.