PDA

View Full Version : How hard is a little bit of courtesy

RBI
12-30-2017, 06:04 PM
I`m going to ask what is probably a stupid question in today`s society.

Is it really too much to ask/expect a little bit of courtesy in day to day life .

Case in point , ( well one of many ).

I quite often , while passing someone on a narrow street ( or regular street for that matter ) when you can see that we're going to be close ( mirrors ) or more so the case , if its a bus , when there is only going to be room for one , if the opportunity is there , I'll pull part way into the parking lane , to make room for the other vehicle to pass . 9 Several car lengths back , if that the only space I can see .

But far more times than not , they just drive on by like I was expected to make room for him/her .

All I'm looking for is a visible nod or wave. Just something to say hey thanks .

One of the streets that I travel through quite regularly has a city transit route ( little buses ) and I find them to be the worst .
And now with all this snow , it only get worse .

And yes, sometimes , somebody will move for me, and they get a hardy wave .

Thanks

CaberTosser
12-30-2017, 06:14 PM
I was wondering why some people bother driving in these conditions if they can barely drive in the first place, someone in a Mercedes SUV passed me in the curb lane on a three lane road where I was in the centre lane, once they got in front of me they drove straddling the centre and right lane and I had to change lanes to avoid driving morbidly slow (they had passed at speed when I was just getting going from a light, its wasn't an ego driven race). If I can see the lane markers through the snow why can't other people, or do they simply not care?

I find it odd when a lane marker line is clearly visible yet people compulsively drive where the previous vehicles have established a different trail.

I witnessed an amusing SNAFU on my way westbound on Glenmore passing Deerfoot, on the ramp from eastbound Glenmore to northbound Deerfoot a B-train semi had become stuck trying to go up the ramp, a second B-train semi attempted to pass and then they were stuck directly adjacent one another. The vehicles behind them were backing down the ramp to escape the probable couple of hour wait for their extrication.

Twisted Canuck
12-30-2017, 06:21 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about the dog pile on Don Parsons' thread...

Yeah, courtesy. Lacking all over.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
12-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Good thought to think about because I run into to this regularly and haven't given it much thought. I always wave a thanks in traffic so why not this example? I guess because the area it always happens at needs the drivers attention as there is always kids running about. I'm going to wave from now on :)

dodger
12-30-2017, 06:27 PM
I was stuck behind 2 really nice Mercedes SUV’s driving side by side doing 25 in a 70/km zone on bare pavement today. As usual there was all the nice fancy stuff hanging from the rear view mirror.

If they are so scared to drive in this weather then stay home instead of going shopping for more fancy clothes and designer purses.

Dodger.

Brian Adams
12-30-2017, 06:30 PM
someone in a Mercedes SUV

Same thing happened to me, except it was a BMW SUV.

Brian Adams
12-30-2017, 06:33 PM
If they are so scared to drive in this weather then stay home instead of going shopping for more fancy clothes and designer purses.

Dodger.

lol

CaberTosser
12-30-2017, 06:33 PM
I'm only out because I've been busy fixing furnaces and frozen lines. I'd just as soon stay in but these cold snaps make for prime business conditions for a plumbing & heating company. Were it not for that I'd be keen on making popcorn and watching some movies by the fireplace.

MyAlberta
12-30-2017, 06:49 PM
I don’t usually wave for obvious yields, but maneuvers with thought get a thumbs up.

covey ridge
12-30-2017, 06:51 PM
On narrow country roads there will always be those that take their half out of the center.

Trochu
12-30-2017, 06:59 PM
Sounds like you've been listening to 960 AM.

Puma
12-30-2017, 07:04 PM
Living rural, I see it all the time.

Gravel roads, I always slow when approaching oncoming traffic and pull to rightside as far as its safe. I get people blasting down the middle of the road at full speed.

I respect your windshield, please respect mine.

DiabeticKripple
12-30-2017, 07:05 PM
Happens to me everyday. I pull into the parking lane and then the knob keeps driving straight in the middle of the road and almost takes my mirror off while giving me a look like I should move over more.

Or how in Red Deer gas alley east, turning from gas alley on the south end by the esso onto Leva ave, as the 2 lanes go around the corner, the right lane turns right and the left lane turns left.

Bright people have decided to drive down the middle of the road, straddling the lanes and then waiting to turn left. I know that there’s a left lane so I’m sitting half a car width over to the left, then some other nimrod pulls up beside me like it’s a dual turn! At a stop sign!

catnthehat
12-30-2017, 07:10 PM
We have hundreds of buses a day on many of our streets up here , narrow streets with vehicles parked on them.
You quickly learn to be courteous and yield even if you do not have to.:thinking-006:
Cat

bobalong
12-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Sounds like you've been listening to 960 AM.

Do they have lots of callers whining and whining about the most mundane things?

kevinhits
12-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Same thing happened to me, except it was a BMW SUV.

Took long enough for this scmuck to be banned.....Who is he coming back with next:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Trochu
12-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Do they have lots of callers whining and whining about the most mundane things?

Haahaa, no. Were complaining about basic courtesy, a simply thank you for holding a door, a quick wave for letting someone merge, etc.

CaberTosser
12-30-2017, 09:29 PM
Took long enough for this scmuck to be banned.....Who is he coming back with next:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Perhaps he'll be a lower-tier Canadian musician such as Gowan or Corey Hart?

grouse_hunter
12-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Perhaps he'll be a lower-tier Canadian musician such as Gowan or Corey Hart?

Zzzing! Ahh I still miss avb3. I hope that he's doing well in frac school...

As for road courtesy - it's almost non-existent. At least most truckers still remember what it is.

Bub
12-30-2017, 11:09 PM
Lol.

https://media.giphy.com/media/aq8vxhMUGrHxe/giphy.gif

I actually wave even when I am the one who is being courteous and yield (which is most of the time) and usually get a wave back. Can't say it annoys me at all when someone does not wave back or whatever.

It does annoy me quite a bit though when I hold the door for someone and they instead of catching the door just pass through without saying thanks. Sometimes I do feel like letting the door go and even giving it a push for the door to catch them in their behind, but I feel like I am better than that. Maybe I will one day though :sHa_sarcasticlol:

thumper
12-30-2017, 11:13 PM
Actually, if they're that close, I'd rather they skip the waving and just keep both hands on the wheel!

58thecat
12-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Actually, if they're that close, I'd rather they skip the waving and just keep both hands on the wheel!

City folk got one hand on the cell phone and two eyes on the texting....oops forgot to wave gotta send this text.

Huuuuhhhhhh what was that?

BuckCuller
12-31-2017, 12:34 AM
You want to talk about courtesy drive in some different countries and US cities. Courtesy is unheard of in many places. Haha.

58thecat
12-31-2017, 09:04 AM
You want to talk about courtesy drive in some different countries and US cities. Courtesy is unheard of in many places. Haha.

Yes but the law of physics comes into play...big mass moves small mass real quick.:)
Lots of honking horns, people, farm animals, mopeds, scooters, people and the occasional cop...all is good.

bobtodrick
12-31-2017, 09:17 AM
Another version of that happens all the time in my neighborhood.
Narrow street, room for one if their are a lot of parked cars.
I'm halfway down the block and someone at the other end turns on the block, coming towards me.
Now instead of making their turn, realizing I'm already halfway down the block, stopping and letting me get to the end...
No, they charge on in and we end up nose to nose....most of the time they look all offended that I didn't back up or something.
One time the other person started waving me back...I shut down the truck and picked up the newspaper beside me and started to read (no one else was on the block). He finally backed up and let me through...of course giving me the finger as I passed.

Ehgun
12-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Living rural, I see it all the time.

Gravel roads, I always slow when approaching oncoming traffic and pull to rightside as far as its safe. I get people blasting down the middle of the road at full speed.

I respect your windshield, please respect mine.

Yup...the only paint chips I had in a new(at the time) Mustang GT was from a utilities truck barreling down a gravel road head-on. He moved over,but didn't slow down...when he moved over,it was only enough to put his driverside wheels on that center strip of gravel(that builds-up).

fishtank
12-31-2017, 01:36 PM
some people just simply buy their license... and taxi drivers are among the worst driver on whyte ave force lane change and random parking/ stop in the middle of the lane:scared:

coyoteman
01-03-2018, 07:57 PM
I`m going to ask what is probably a stupid question in today`s society.

Is it really too much to ask/expect a little bit of courtesy in day to day life .

Case in point , ( well one of many ).

I quite often , while passing someone on a narrow street ( or regular street for that matter ) when you can see that we're going to be close ( mirrors ) or more so the case , if its a bus , when there is only going to be room for one , if the opportunity is there , I'll pull part way into the parking lane , to make room for the other vehicle to pass . 9 Several car lengths back , if that the only space I can see .

But far more times than not , they just drive on by like I was expected to make room for him/her .

All I'm looking for is a visible nod or wave. Just something to say hey thanks .

One of the streets that I travel through quite regularly has a city transit route ( little buses ) and I find them to be the worst .
And now with all this snow , it only get worse .

And yes, sometimes , somebody will move for me, and they get a hardy wave .

Thanks
welcome to alberta,better grt use to it its dog eat dog---want a break try a trip to newfoundland