PDA

View Full Version : RV Battery advice needed

270person
12-30-2017, 08:57 PM
Hoping there are some RV battery experts out there. Just bought a bumper pull and it will need a new battery or two.

Brother says I should buy 6V versus 12V batteries? Good advice?

Are there advantages with the AGM type batteries versus the old flooded type?

Quick look around the area and I see 6V AGM for anywhere from $ 200 - $350.00. Seems expensive to me but maybe not.

And my last dumb question. Do I have to run two batteries or can I just go with one? Trailer has the usual appliances, fridge, furnace, and indoor/outdoor lights. Won't be running a tv. Has AC but I don't see using that much.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

kevinhits
12-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Hoping there are some RV battery experts out there. Just bought a bumper pull and it will need a new battery or two.

Quick look around the area and I see 6V AGM for anywhere from $ 200 - $350.00. Seems expensive to me but maybe not.

And my last dumb question. Do I have to run two batteries or can I just go with one? Trailer has the usual appliances, fridge, furnace, and indoor/outdoor lights. Won't be running a tv. Has AC but I don't see using that much.

I will swear by Costco batteries....I buy rv batteries and just bought two for my vehicles...Never had to warranty them...lasted at least 5-8 years...

just my 2 cents...:)

fordtruckin
12-30-2017, 09:22 PM
I bought 2 6 volt batteries from Costco this spring. They are made by Interstate Battery at least down here in Montana. I think I paid around 80$ each for them.

Xbolt7mm
12-30-2017, 09:23 PM

I run 2 rv batteries, 12 volt in mine, always have. The tv (IF ITS 110) has nothing to do with the batteries and neither does the AC

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
12-30-2017, 09:28 PM
I run two sixers and they work fabulously. I’ll have a boo cause they are on the shelve beside me...US 2000 Xc. They must be good becuase I see Stars and Stripes all over them😎

curtz
12-30-2017, 09:35 PM
If your going to use 6 volt you have to have 2 to make your 12 volts, I run 4 6 volt with a 150 solar panel to keep them charged up, I dry camp a lot. It all depends where you are camping, if your going to be plugged into power most of the time 1 12 volt is probably all you need, if your dry camping 6 volts will last longer

Unregistered user
12-30-2017, 10:46 PM
2 12v Kirkland deep cycles in mine, all the power we need. Cheap too.

270person
12-30-2017, 11:39 PM
Appreciate the advice gents. Some good suggestions. I don't think I'll be parking it a lot of places where I'll be plugged in. Just some weekends near a lake for my grandaughter and some fishing, and of course scouting/hunting late fall on.

The unit has solar panels installed to keep things sparky when the suns adequate and I plan on picking up a 200oW inverter generator.

Xbolt..I know next to nothing about RV camping. Always been a tent guy, so the batteries are basically just for lights? AC requires being plugged in or the use of a generator yes? Same for coffee maker and microwave I assume.

Furnace when required can run off DC for some time?

Looks like I'll be needing a Costco membership.

brslk
12-30-2017, 11:45 PM
Another plus to using two six volts opposed to one twelve volt is, if a single cell fails in a twelve volt you have to replace the battery. With two six volt batteries, if a single cell fails, you only have to replace one six volt battery which is less expensive.
Two six volt batteries will also be able to cycle through charge/discharge more times than a single twelve volt will.
They will also usually have more amperage together than a single twelve volt will.
It's similar to having a small motor in a truck pulling a trailer. It will do it, but will it do it as well as a truck with a larger engine and will it last as long?

I'm no battery expert but that's the way it was explained to me.
I fully admit I could be completely off my rocker.

270person
12-30-2017, 11:53 PM
Two six volt batteries will also be able to cycle through charge/discharge more times than a single twelve volt will.

They will also usually have more amperage together than a single twelve volt will.

I think those are the reasons my brother gave for going 2 x 6 over 12 as well.

JohninAB
12-31-2017, 05:02 AM
Definitely recommend the 2 6 volts for all the reasons mentioned above. You can use your batteries to run ac powered items like the microwave, tv or coffeemaker by installing an appropriate sized power inverter. I have a 1500 watt in mine and it allows me to use the microwave when not hooked up to power or running my generator.

When hooking your 2 6volts together, use a heavy gauge cable. I use welding cable.

Dick284
12-31-2017, 05:15 AM
Maintain your batteries, check the electrolyte a couple times per season, even the so called "maintenance free" batteries need some TLC. Bring the batteries in outta the cold and putting them on a battery maintainer through the winter, this will increase their life and reliability.

JD848
12-31-2017, 05:47 AM
Go with two 12 volts ,the price in the long run is not worth the two 6 volts,the 12 will last a long time if checked for fluid levels and stored and charge every few months,carry a box of baking soda and some vinegar incase one cracks and you need to cleanup the acid in the battery compartment ,cover with baking soda and rinse with vinegar after that just water.Plus go with a good inverter and extra hundred will give longer life to your batteries when needed in the middle of nowhere and not run them low wearing out your battery.If you have tanks that lay on there sides don't ever put a stand up tank laying sideways in your tank compartment cause the regulator will blow filling your trailer full of natural gas or propane which may be your last trip when you turn the light switch on.

tallieho
12-31-2017, 06:01 AM
6volts for me Interstate,Bought mine direct from them.Heck they even offered to deliver.You won't be lifting[heavy] them in & out seasonally,just leave them plugged .Your unit has an on board charger,solar,or 110..Happy Trails

panamajr
12-31-2017, 06:43 AM
go get yourself 2 6volt golf cart batteries from costco
youll be happy

Robins36
12-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Also, check your lights inside your trailer and switch them all to LED lights to use less power. My research has steered me towards the 2-6 volt battery setup which I will pick up in the spring.

Jack Hardin
12-31-2017, 08:17 AM
90% of my camping is dry. I switched to 2 x 6, 2 yrs ago and what a difference.

I also replaced the lights to LED. DON'T buy the bulbs from a dealer as they cost approx $14 each. Amazon.ca sells them 10 for $29.98. Make sure you get the right plug-in ends. A relative of mine has a camper van with a power needle gauge, and he said that when the lights were on the needle would move upwards however, when he switched to LED lights the needle doesn't move when they are on.

sewerrat
12-31-2017, 08:33 AM
I have 1 12 volt Costco battery, which is going on to year 7 I also have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof and changed out all the light bulbs to LED, we have never been without power, we dnt use the microwave, aircondioner or furnace, we dry camp 95% of the time unless we go early spring or late fall then we plug it in.

birdee
12-31-2017, 08:41 AM
previous conversation good advice there
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=3612458#post3612458

Xbolt7mm
12-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Go with two 12 volts ,the price in the long run is not worth the two 6 volts,the 12 will last a long time if checked for fluid levels and stored and charge every few months,carry a box of baking soda and some vinegar incase one cracks and you need to cleanup the acid in the battery compartment ,cover with baking soda and rinse with vinegar after that just water.Plus go with a good inverter and extra hundred will give longer life to your batteries when needed in the middle of nowhere and not run them low wearing out your battery.If you have tanks that lay on there sides don't ever put a stand up tank laying sideways in your tank compartment cause the regulator will blow filling your trailer full of natural gas or propane which may be your last trip when you turn the light switch on.

There is so much thats just weird about your whole post!!!!!!

270person
12-31-2017, 09:54 AM
More great tips. Thanks to all for helping out an RV newb.

I was originally just looking for a tent trailer. Everyone and their dog told me not to do it despite the ease of towing, etc. Ended up going hardwall 21 ft and can't wait to get out there with it. Going to make a lot of those 4 am, drive 2.5 hours to favorite wmu hunting excursions a thing of the past.

Think I'll offend other campers running a 6,000 watt diesel generator non stop? :)

Albertadiver
12-31-2017, 10:01 AM
If your near the Red Deer area let me know.

Go with 2 6V Trojans and you’ll never look back. Get a decent inverter and solar setup and your set.

I have a 150watt solar mounted on my roof and picking up a moveabke 140 watt set as well. Inverter will run a tv easily.

I use a percolator for coffee as the coffee machine is a big power drain.

We have a family battery business and my Dad always recommends the 2-6V setup.

Dog_River
12-31-2017, 10:15 AM
I have 8 Die Hards AGMs in my bus and they have been flawless so far. A guy has to be sure to maintain them.

Go with 12 volt IMO,

Dog_River

BUSHRVN
12-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Maintain your batteries, check the electrolyte a couple times per season, even the so called "maintenance free" batteries need some TLC. Bring the batteries in outta the cold and putting them on a battery maintainer through the winter, this will increase their life and reliability.

This, above, dual 6Volts. Keep the tops clean as well especially during storage as the dust on the top will carry a micro current and drain the batteries with a small dead short effect on them.
For what you say you'll be doing, defiantly dual 6 volt deep cycles will serve you best for all night long furnace cycles etc. You're gonna be using the furnace during hunting season and this will be the difference in waking up warm without having to leave the generator running all night. If you're going to get a generator, you need 3000 watts if you want to use your A/C. If at some point you do stay in a campground and want to use a generator during the allowed times, I'd suggest getting a good one like a Honda or Yamaha due to them being quiet or someone might want to put sugar in your gas tank.
I personally use two Trojan T-105's. just replaced mine last year and the previous ones were 8 years old. Maintenance it the key, topped up like mentioned, clean tops and in a warm place in the winter. if you slip up on the winter part or top up part, you're buying new ones in the spring. I pick up new ones for my sister almost every year because her husband doesn't do either for her.:thinking-006:

Selkirk
12-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Hoping there are some RV battery experts out there. Just bought a bumper pull and it will need a new battery or two . . .

You've got lots of good advice here so far, and if you use the AO 'Search' function you'll find lots more advice on the many previous threads here about batteries.

The only advice I would add ... for vacation trailers (no engine to start), do NOT use 'RV' rated batteries.

RV batteries are a hybrid battery, intended for both engine starting and deep-cycle use. They have their uses and work well where needed, but for deep-cycle needs only, they do not work as well as true 'Deep-cycle' specific batteries.

Selkirk

guster
12-31-2017, 10:55 AM
I run 2 6volt Costco batteries in mine but trouble is if you camp out in the bush
and one gives up the ghost nothing runs on six volt.

Selkirk
12-31-2017, 11:07 AM
I run 2 6volt Costco batteries in mine but trouble is if you camp out in the bush
and one gives up the ghost nothing runs on six volt.

Another good point ^

It's one of the main reasons some people use two 12V deep-cycle batteries instead.

Selkirk

operator john
12-31-2017, 11:41 AM
We run four 6 volt Golf Cart batteries in the generator hole and two 12 volt deep cycle on the reach all interconnected.
Changed bulbs to LED's.
The two on the reach can be used for my 12 v trolling motor.
When boonie camping we have a 480 watt solar panel for battery charging.
We found the furnace fan motor is the greatest draw of power.

Ken07AOVette
12-31-2017, 11:48 AM
I always ran dual 12v. I carry a 3000w invertor for when power is required and unavailable, but generally ran it from the truck. I have a big solar cell, 26v @ 1.5 amps, wish I could find a few more of those! I agree with single 12 or dual as opposed to single 6, like noted above nothing runs on 6v if a battery fails. A spare 12v battery you can use in the truck if needed is far better than trying to wire up a couple 6's. I use deep cycle 12v marine batteries, which are now 10 years old and just tested at 93 and 95%. Get them in a heated garage for winter.

Jack Hardin
12-31-2017, 01:43 PM
If your garage isn't heated, put them on a trickle charger. I got mine from Amazon.ca for $29. two yrs ago. It can hooked up all winter and won't over charge the batteries.

270person
12-31-2017, 02:33 PM
If your garage isn't heated, put them on a trickle charger. I got mine from Amazon.ca for $29. two yrs ago. It can hooked up all winter and won't over charge the batteries.

Thanks Jack. saw some of your tips in a previous post linked above. appreciate it.

Appreciate all.

Anyone got a 300W Honda Inverter Generator they'd like to sell me for $300??:)

gitrdun
12-31-2017, 02:48 PM
If you're going to use a couple of 6 volts, just make sure to hook them up in series, not parallel. Other advise to get them out of the cold and on a trickler charger is also good advise.

curtz
12-31-2017, 03:05 PM
Thanks Jack. saw some of your tips in a previous post linked above. appreciate it.

Appreciate all.

Anyone got a 300W Honda Inverter Generator they'd like to sell me for $300??:)

You must mean a 3000 watt, if you find one that cheap I'll take 2. I have a 2800w Yamaha inverter I think new it was was around $1500, that was a while ago.

tigger
12-31-2017, 07:55 PM
I'm looking at doing something similar this summer but after all the posts I've read using 2-6V versus 12V, I'm going 2 12V deep cycles just for the price. I've been running 1 deep cycle battery in my RV for years and even use them in my diesel truck. Just wondering if someone can give me what the best solar panel is for charging during the day. Having the proper solar panel is half the battle.

270person
12-31-2017, 08:16 PM
You must mean a 3000 watt, if you find one that cheap I'll take 2. I have a 2800w Yamaha inverter I think new it was was around $1500, that was a while ago.

So a guy could get THAT one for $ 300??? :scared0018:

Cageyc
12-31-2017, 08:51 PM
I have been using a pair of 6 Volt for years now and love them, look at the RCA. Reserve capacity amps and the pair of 6's better the 12 by far.

RZR
01-01-2018, 08:03 AM
I bought a 8D 12volt battery and it’s been on my trailer for 10yrs. With no issues.

John d
01-04-2018, 09:10 PM
More are better but stock rv inverters are garbage
Look into a pd9270 intel-power there about 300 but won’t destroy you battery’s as they are smart chargers

whitefish
01-04-2018, 09:49 PM
I run two Crown 235ah 6v batteries in series. I never draw down below 50%. I have 400w of solar, 45amp Morningstar charge controller and a 2000w inverter. I get away with the stock PD4045 converter/charger, but that's because I use the Morningstar to properly charge my batteries.

My 3000w Honda gets rarely used now, unless is 5+ cloudy days or I want to 4run AC.

PM me if you have any questions on setup

Gray Wolf
01-05-2018, 12:25 AM
Most times I just run 2 Duracell triple A's.

For my Big Rig, they seem to work just fine :confused0024:

250mark1
01-05-2018, 07:45 AM
i have 4- costco 6 volt batteries going on 9 years now with the same
batteries and have 260 watts of solar panels on the roof
Just a heads up in the fall costco tends to blow out there 6 volt batteries i pick up a couple for a friend 2 years ago for $ 50.00 bucks each

MinMoose
01-05-2018, 10:18 AM
I run two Crown 235ah 6v batteries in series. I never draw down below 50%. I have 400w of solar, 45amp Morningstar charge controller and a 2000w inverter. I get away with the stock PD4045 converter/charger, but that's because I use the Morningstar to properly charge my batteries.

My 3000w Honda gets rarely used now, unless is 5+ cloudy days or I want to 4run AC.

Nice! My setup is nearly identifical (2 6volts, 480 watts of panels, 45amp mppt Morningstar, and a 2500 watt inverter). With the exception of Air Conditioning, we can run damn near every other appliance (microwave, blender, saws). More than we need, that's for sure.

I don't have a generator and I'll never need one for RVing. I'd rather have the peace and quiet.

thing
01-05-2018, 01:09 PM
I would venture to guess that not 1 single person who uses 2 6 volts would go back to a 12 volt...not one.

The only negative to the 6 volts is the cost, other than that. There is absolutely no comparison. Running 2 6 volts is far superior than running a single 12.

MinMoose
01-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Agreed.

A better comparison is running 2 12 volts versus 2 6 volts...and even there, the 6's almost always provide more amphours.

There are probably 12's being sold somewhere that offer similar amphours to 6's, but then usually the cost becomes a factor...or physical size...or availability...or...

Johnny G1
01-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Finally after 14 yrs my 8 T105 Trojan have died, been on solar since new, would only buy 6 volt as you get the most out of them if you look after them, was running 640 watts of panels until I took 200 off for my 5th wheel. 2000 watt zantrac inverter for the tv and music plus the micro wave that was used every day when we boon docked, only plugged in for 2 weeks in all those yrs.

javlin101
01-05-2018, 06:22 PM
I would venture to guess that not 1 single person who uses 2 6 volts would go back to a 12 volt...not one.

The only negative to the 6 volts is the cost, other than that. There is absolutely no comparison. Running 2 6 volts is far superior than running a single 12.

I ran 2 6v Trojans and would never go back. However if 1 of your 2 12v go you are still in business. If 1 of your 2 6v go your dead in the water.

Arrowhead
01-05-2018, 06:31 PM

You found one haha... I used 6V for a number of years, then I went back to 12V. Here is my reasoning:

There is no question that two 6V batteries vastly exceed one 12V battery of similar size in amphours capacity (which is not surprising and not a fair comparison by any means in the first place). When comparing two 6V to two 12V of similar size and cost they are extremely close from a capacity perspective.

Comparing two Trojan 6V T105's to two $80 Costco 12V deep cycle batteries is not a fair comparison either. One set up is about $400 and significantly larger, and the other is less than $200. There is no question that the larger and more costly setup will outperform the other as long as the battery health is good.

The problem I had with my Trojan T105 6V setup was when one of the two batteries developed a bad cell. They were only about 4 years old and I babied them carefully for their entire but short life. You can't simply replace one 6V battery in a paired system without a major compromise which is that the system will only perform per the weakest (oldest) remaining battery. This is because 6V systems are wired in series. Being budget conscious there was no way I was going to replace them both with another expensive 6V T105 pair.

Instead I buy two 12V deep cycle batteries and simply use them one at a time (I do not run my 12V in parallel). If (or when) one battery dies due to a bad cell I simply replace one battery. My Costco deep cycle 12V batteries have proven to last (knock on wood) and when the time comes it's not a big deal to replace from a cost perspective. Plus Costco's are everywhere across Canada and the US.

whitefish
01-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Instead I buy two 12V deep cycle batteries and simply use them one at a time (I do not run my 12V in parallel). If (or when) one battery dies due to a bad cell I simply replace one battery. My Costco deep cycle 12V batteries have proven to last (knock on wood) and when the time comes it's not a big deal to replace from a cost perspective. Plus Costco's are everywhere across Canada and the US.

To get the same AH as two Costco 6V golf cart batteries in series (around 230 AH), you would need to run an 921 Flooded or 8D size AGM 12v like RZR. Those are at least double the cost of two 6v golf cart batteries.

The Costco 12v batteries are not really true deep cycle - more of a beefed up RV/marine battery (not sure these have a 20 ah rate).

The one bad thing of hooking up two 6v batteries in series is the higher resistance (internal) over two 12v batteries in parallel.

birdee
01-05-2018, 09:59 PM
probable more than the average person wants to or needs to know
the 12 volt side of life part 1 and 2

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzmY-PxsLYAhVG6oMKHV_8CwcQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marxrv.com%2F12volt%2F12volt. htm&usg=AOvVaw3iIUTRFx46J5zIb6lazAXT

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzmY-PxsLYAhVG6oMKHV_8CwcQFgguMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marxrv.com%2F12volt%2F12volta .htm&usg=AOvVaw0vwaqHDmBkh5GbU3Nip2_l

Unregistered user
01-06-2018, 05:21 AM
I ran 2 6v Trojans and would never go back. However if 1 of your 2 12v go you are still in business. If 1 of your 2 6v go your dead in the water.

You said Trojans.

javlin101
01-06-2018, 11:56 AM
You said Trojans.

Yes I switched to 2 t105s in my motorhome. Just stating that with a pair of 6v if one craps out you will not have power. If you have 2 12v witch is what I had in my trailer if one goes you can get by on just one. This happened to me one year on holidays.

thing
01-06-2018, 01:24 PM
When camping, two 6 volts will last way longer than a single 12, that is a fact....4 or 5 times longer. For that privilege it will cost more money.

Sure if one of the 6 volts craps out you have nothing...just like if your single 12 volt craps out you have nothing.

Running two 12 volts is no different than having one 12 volt and tossing another 12 volt in back of the truck as a spare. The funny this is that when the first 12 volt dies and then you start using your 2nd 12.....it still doesn't last long as the guy using 2 sixes.

I would rather have four 6 volt batteries than 2 12 volts...the obvious problem is space. So those of you that require multiple 12 volt batteries in your big units,then you have to run multiple 12 volts.

LeonH
01-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Agreed.

A better comparison is running 2 12 volts versus 2 6 volts...and even there, the 6's almost always provide more amphours.

There are probably 12's being sold somewhere that offer similar amphours to 6's, but then usually the cost becomes a factor...or physical size...or availability...or...

x2

6V have much thicker plates and it will outlast 12V system every time. I got my trailer getting close to 10 years ago with 2x6V batteries installed by original owner. They are still powering my trailer but will be looking for new set comes spring time. No 12V battery system will last that long. However, they are heavy bustards to carry around

John d
01-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Biggest thing is the quality of the battery

Not the voltage

Da'Newf
01-07-2018, 06:58 AM
I used to run a big single group 31 battery on my travel trailer that eventually died after about 4 or 5 years of abuse. Was seriously looking at doing the 2x6v but found that the area for the batteries on the tongue wouldn't fit the 6v battery box - not enough clearance. Bought the boxes first to test fit. Glad I did.

Went the route of 2 group 24 deep cycle 12v batteries. Wiring them right is the key - the leads between the batteries have to be the same length and gauge, and take the positive for the trailer off one, and the negative off the second battery. This keeps the two batteries balanced for cycling.

I also got a bit smarter and wired in a quick connect for the smart battery charger (crappy tire noco genius) and a second quick connect for the solar panel and charge controller that I bought around the same time as the batteries. Went with a Morningstar controller and a 160W panel. Wired a small 150w inverter into the charge controller for recharging phones and tablets. Yep, set the solar panel and charge controller up a few days in to a week and half long camping trip and didn't need the generator at all after that for 5 days. The batteries were still showing over 75% at that point in a heavily treed campsite. And that was without changing the bulbs to LED. That's the next step.

RZR
01-07-2018, 07:02 AM
x2

6V have much thicker plates and it will outlast 12V system every time. I got my trailer getting close to 10 years ago with 2x6V batteries installed by original owner. They are still powering my trailer but will be looking for new set comes spring time. No 12V battery system will last that long. However, they are heavy bustards to carry around

The 8D battery will last that long. I could go 2 weeks without charging it. I now have a solar panel so I don’t have to go that long without a charge.

bat119
01-07-2018, 07:20 AM
If you choose 12 volt batteries you always buy and replace in pairs, if you have a defective battery and a weak one replacing with one good will result in two weak.

Deep-cycle batteries used in RVs typically come in 6- or 12-volt configurations. Six-volt batteries must be installed in pairs and wired in series (connected together so that a + terminal is connected to a – on the other side) so that their combined voltage will be a nominal 12. Twelve-volt batteries can also be used in pairs, but they must be wired in parallel (+ to + and – to -) so that their combined output remains at 12 volts. When 12-volt batteries are wired in parallel and used in pairs, the stronger one will discharge into the weaker one (known as cannibalizing), whereas a pair of 6-volt batteries in series won’t discharge each other.

www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/rv-battery-basics-get-the-best-performance/

rmatei
01-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Gave up on the expensive trojan 12v's and switched to 2 Costco 12v's, one on the trailer and the other for the trolling motor which serves as a back up. Have a Yamaha 2000 inverter for long boondock trips to keep everything charged up.
I bring mine in the house for the off season and run the charger on them every 6-8 weeks to keep them up. Have been getting about 4-5 years out of them and am happy with that. Looking for a 12v power inverter at about 500 watts to power my 110v air pump for filling up the inflatable boat, then I don't have to fire up the genny, my F150 only has a 150 watt internal 12v.

Sooner
01-11-2018, 03:21 PM
What will you need the power for?

I have Napa's biggest 12v RV battery and it runs the furnace and lights all long weekend with no problem. Mid 80's furnace so it pulls some power when it runs. I just trickle charge it before each trip for a day or two.

We basically eat and sleep in the trailer, most cooking is over the fire, we grew up under tarps around the fire & so did my kids so unless it's super nasty, we don't spend a ton of time inside other than whats mentioned.

Now I have friends who's kids never leave the trailer, always plugged in, charging stuff, watching dvd's. Then I would go with 2 6V batteries.

For most, 2 top line 12V RV batteries should be lots, add a solar panel and you should never go dead.

Riverboy
01-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Try a search of Handy bob solar. Tons of very good info in layman’s terms.

270person
01-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Thread still humming along with all kinds of great thoughts and advice. I've learned a lot so thanks to all.

whitefish
01-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Try a search of Handy bob solar. Tons of very good info in layman’s terms.

X2. Helped me with my solar install.

MinMoose
01-12-2018, 01:32 PM
x3!

I give full credit to Handybob for explaining how to make RV solar installations really work. Lots of good practical information on batteries too.

NealXu
01-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Hi...as per my knowledge you have to have 2 to make your 12 volts, I run 4 6 volt with a 150 solar panel to keep them charged up, I dry camp a lot. It all depends where you are camping, if your going to be plugged into power most of the time 1 12 volt is probably all you need, if your dry camping 6 volts will last longer.

CanadianEh
02-13-2018, 02:08 PM
So I just found this thread..

I am looing to buy these and went to costco today. Nothing on the shelf at all.. not even a tag. So I went and asked up front and they said "no stores in western Canada show any stock."

So i guess the question is... do they sell them any more, or is it a season item that they will be getting in a few months. she couldn't answer either way.

Johnny G1
02-13-2018, 02:34 PM
So I just found this thread..

I am looing to buy these and went to costco today. Nothing on the shelf at all.. not even a tag. So I went and asked up front and they said "no stores in western Canada show any stock."

So i guess the question is... do they sell them any more, or is it a season item that they will be getting in a few months. she couldn't answer either way. They are usually seasonable, at least here in Kamloops BC.

250mark1
02-13-2018, 04:04 PM
costco typical gets the 6 volt batteries in early april from what i have seen

CanadianEh
02-13-2018, 08:49 PM
Alrighty.. good to know. Otherwise id go buy some others today.

OscarShooter
02-16-2018, 05:22 AM
Nothing can beat Costco batteries

petew
02-16-2018, 12:18 PM
2x 6 volts was the norm before the advent of the deep cycle battery. Now with the deep cycle being cost effective, and the warranty they have it doesn't make sense to go with 6V. Costco is the best for price on deep cycle.

I see lots wanting a gen set to charge the camper , but in reality the truck will recharge the camper faster and cheaper than solar or a generator. I leave the gen set home now.
The camper is wired with welding cable from the battery's to the isolator in the truck, so in a pinch I have 5 battery's available to self boost should I leave lights on in the truck etc. and need a boost, or when running the winch. { Costco 12000# Champion winch can't be beat. } I use a HD quick plug to jump the campers battery's to the truck's battery's bypassing the isolator if needed . Pop the hood and plug it in , 30 second job.

I have a maintainer/charger wired in the camper that keeps my battery's toped up when it is home. On the road the truck charges them when driving. I switched all the lights to LED from Amazon. brighter, and very little drain, and inexpensive.

I put a jumper on a quick connect HD plug on the isolator so in winter when the unit is parked the maintainer charges the trucks 2 batterys and the campers 3 batterys. It is parked till spring, and pluged in on a timer to minimize power to a few hours on a day.

12 V / 120 V inverters are cheap now , and I wired in a 1500 watt permenantly for the few times I need 120 , like to plug in a laptop.

In reality I don't use a lot of elect power. I use propane lamps for most of the light I need , and refill the 1# bottles so they are cheap to run. As soon as I park the fridge gets switched to propane , from 12 volt on the road power.

Unless you use a lot of elect power it isn't worth it adding solar and gen sets. Fortunately my furnace is gravity operated and doesn't use any power other than a computer fan to give some air movement if it's realy cold out.. Those little fans don't use anything, and will even run off a 9V Duracell.

My camper is an older slide in , it does all I need and is warm, dry and permanent on the truck. I think I have the bases covered for economical power/gas consumption in a setup that works and is easy .

The only thing I want to add is a remote start so I don't have to go outside at -20 to start the truck to recharge the camper if I need to .:) or keep the old diesel warm enough to start when it gets -20 or below. That's coming when the weather warms up. In real cold camping I do bring the old 900 watt Honda gen set just in case I need to have the block heater on for an hour in the morning. It also has a 12 volt connection that can charge too, if things get real bad.