PDA

View Full Version : Power auger blades

1bluZebec
12-31-2017, 12:00 AM
Just curious to the average and what the heck the shortest and longest too that your blades have lasted you on your power augers. First time out with it anyway at the first sask trout pond and took close to a minute to get through 13" of ice[emoji51]so I guess it's finally time to get new blades[emoji846]it's going on the sixth year and a good 15-20 tanks of gas probably and who knows how many holes do I'm very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calgarygringo
12-31-2017, 07:22 AM
Just sharpen them up. If you know how to do them properly do them yourself if not take them to one of the sharp shops. Way cheaper than a new set and will be like new.
If you do them yourself be careful on the angle as that is more critical than the being sharp part. Some guys make them razor sharp but incorrect angle and they still don't cut. I just take mine in and they are always sharp. We also have 3 sets of blades so if one hits mud or stones we always have a backup set that is new and just needs to be installed.

PerchBuster
12-31-2017, 07:31 AM
6 yrs.....I’d say you’ve done very well and are now past due for a change out. Basically as soon as the Auger doesn’t screw itself in to the ice effortlessly anymore and you are having to apply some down force to make it go or it takes twice as long to Auger a hole now, then you need to change them out or have them resharpened if unable to resharpen yourself. About 3 seasons tops for me and then I change. That said I always carry a new package of spares with me in my gear to avoid any unnecessary downtime. It takes a surprisingly very little amount of sand to completely dull your blades. Avoid drilling in any old truck tire tracks for this reason as ice and sand from mud flaps can quickly ruin your blades and be careful in shallow water not to run your blades in to the lake bottom. Always keep the blade cover on and give them a light spray or coat of vegetable oil during storage periods.

TylerThomson
12-31-2017, 08:25 AM
I swap blades once a year unless i hit something then 2 times a year. I have no patience for slow cutting augers and blades are cheap. I always have a spare set in my tackle box.