PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations needed for 'Indoor' Kerosene Heaters

Selkirk
12-31-2017, 05:11 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51gAJCYSenL._SY355_.jpghttps://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/znAAAOSwHYpaMtrd/$_35.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9MkAAOSw5ZBWPANz/s-l300.jpg

:sign0085:

Our rural area recently had a power outage (~20 hours). We have no alternate heat source in the house, but fortunately it wasn't very cold that day, so our indoor temp only dropped to 7C before the power came back on. Next time we want to be prepared with some sort of temporary/emergency heat source to keep the house & pipes from freezing.

Unfortunately, propane heaters are not intended (or safe) for in-house use, so we are looking at some of the kerosene heaters that are made for use in living quarters.

- Does anyone have any experience with indoor kerosene heaters?
- What would you say are their pros and cons?
- Do they give the house a bad smell?
- How effective are they?
- Any recommendations on brand names or models?

Thanks for the help,

Selkirk

tigger
12-31-2017, 06:27 PM
I have two of the middle ones. Used them once couple years ago. Were placed in the living room and in the hallway. They don't smell, provided you fill them outside using a funnel. The fill container can be taken out to fill. Just ensure you crack a window or two for fresh intake. Can't remember how long they last on one fill up but thinking at least 8hrs? Also had a buddy heater that I used for ice fishing-1lb bottle lasts about 6hrs but you can buy a hose and hook to a 20lb bottle. Have a genset now but still keep the kerosene heaters for emergency. Good idea to use them once in the fall for 1/2hr before it gets cold just so you know they will be working when you need them. The wick might tend to dry out and such.

tigger
12-31-2017, 06:48 PM
Another option is buying a 2000W inverter generator and most houses have where you can unplug the furnace and plug into the generator. If not maybe get an electrician to rewire the furnace so it can be done. Beats fooling around with kerosene. In the country can always use a generator for other things. One thing I would advise from personal and other people having problems is use premium gas for the generator. The ethanol in regular or mid grade gas will make your generator run erratically after a while. Not all premium gas is ethanol free either, just because it doesn't say no ethanol on the premium side of the pump is miss leading. The places that sell premium with no ethanol that I have tested the gas on is Wholesale/Esso/Shell and Co-op. I haven't tested it since last year at these places but can't see why they would change now. Co-op used to have a sticker on the premium side that said "no ethanol". I only use premium in my toys/tools now. Maybe a little expensive but saves a lot of grief down the road. Typically ethanol seems to affect carbureted engines like lawnmowers/gensets/chainsaws etc.

riden
12-31-2017, 06:59 PM
Another option is buying a 2000W inverter generator and most houses have where you can unplug the furnace and plug into the generator. If not maybe get an electrician to rewire the furnace so it can be done. Beats fooling around with kerosene. In the country can always use a generator for other things. One thing I would advise from personal and other people having problems is use premium gas for the generator. The ethanol in regular or mid grade gas will make your generator run erratically after a while. Not all premium gas is ethanol free either, just because it doesn't say no ethanol on the premium side of the pump is miss leading. The places that sell premium with no ethanol that I have tested the gas on is Wholesale/Esso/Shell and Co-op. I haven't tested it since last year at these places but can't see why they would change now. Co-op used to have a sticker on the premium side that said "no ethanol". I only use premium in my toys/tools now. Maybe a little expensive but saves a lot of grief down the road. Typically ethanol seems to affect carbureted engines like lawnmowers/gensets/chainsaws etc.

Ya, I thought that was a great idea too. A lot cheaper than an emergency panel. My electrician said when I was building my house that is is against code My furnace is wired directly to my panel.

tigger
12-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Unless you're a die hard Honda man, there are other good 2000W generators out there that won't break the bank. I have a 3000kipor bought years ago and still going strong (hopefully didn't jinx myself now that I said this), but Kipor makes a 2000W too. Polaris/Yamaha are reliable too and all are quiet. I seen a guy at the lake last year he had a Honda 2000 hooked up to a 10gal auxillary tank but forgot to ask/look how he did it. This way you get a lot of runs hours before having to fill it up. I did see kits for sale to do it but pretty pricy, around $100 just for the hose and filler cap that goes on the genset.

Selkirk
12-31-2017, 07:16 PM
Thank-you Tigger for those ^ three great posts! This is what the AOF is all about :happy0034:

But 'Same On Me' ... I forgot to mention that our house is 'totally' electric heated (baseboards, & forced-air electric furnace). Unfortunately, the HUGE cost of a generator able to power those in an emergency, is not an option.

For a temporary/emergency situation, it seems I'm stuck with only the 'Kerosene' option.

Selkirk

brslk
12-31-2017, 07:25 PM
I have no first hand experience but I do have a close friend who lives in Detroit. He has two of the heaters you show on the left. He's been using them for years whenever they get power outages, which seems to be quite often.
According to him if you have the wick set at the right height, they burn very clean. He just keeps a window cracked open a little bit.

tigger
12-31-2017, 07:41 PM
I have a post going in relation to House/Generator set up that may be worth reading. With the oil patch down and such rental companies have a lot of generators going to auction-talking about 20-25KW units. Can pick them up for under $10K depending on the run hours etc. if you're there at the right time/place. Only need to get a transfer panel installed. I'm working on this now for my place. The 25kw unit is way oversized but the price was right. Had lots of hours on it but in good shape. It's a diesel which most are at that KW and if the roads get to snowed in for the truck can ski doo to the neighbors for diesel fuel. Easier to get diesel in the country than gas. If had long enough extension cord could power the neighbors place too. Was lucky last year, didn't lose power during that snow storm like some did for a couple days but the year before that power went out for 22hrs. I would still look at re-wiring your forced air furnace. Furnace only takes about a 2000W gen to run, takes a bit to start but once it starts power usage drops to at least 2/3, unless you have a huge furnace. Unless I'm missing something in your post you should be able to run the furnace by itself if you can unplug it from the household power and plug it into a genset? Your baseboards will not work but you will have your furnace running on auxillary power. When the power comes on disconnect from the genset and hook back up to household?

Selkirk
12-31-2017, 08:08 PM
Alone, my forced air electric furnace (electric elements + fan) takes at least 20KW to run. So a second hand $10,000 generator would probably do it.

But for many times cheaper (~$500), two large indoor kerosene heaters would keep my house and pipes from freezing for a day or two. Hence my interest in indoor kerosene heaters.

Selkirk

Puma
12-31-2017, 08:19 PM
We have three kerosene heaters, used to use them quite regularly but power has become more reliable since they upgraded the line and voltage.
One like the middle, a Sunbeam I think, and two similar to the left, Aladdin blue flame.

Remember to trim and clean your wicks from time to time. There is a little disc tool for this. The only smell is when you turn them off.

Price of kerosene has gone up a lot the last few years, see if your bulk dealer can source it for you in 20 l pails or 205 l drums. Jet B (?) works good too.

Selkirk
01-01-2018, 11:57 AM
We have three kerosene heaters, used to use them quite regularly but power has become more reliable since they upgraded the line and voltage.
One like the middle, a Sunbeam I think, and two similar to the left, Aladdin blue flame.

Remember to trim and clean your wicks from time to time. There is a little disc tool for this. The only smell is when you turn them off.

Price of kerosene has gone up a lot the last few years, see if your bulk dealer can source it for you in 20 l pails or 205 l drums. Jet B (?) works good too.

Good point about the cost of kerosene and where to buy ^ .
I'm going to have to do some homework on that! :)

It seems the most popular brand name now for indoor kerosene heaters is 'Dyna-Glo'. They make a few different models, including the three in post #1. The Dyna-Glo model pictured below puts out 23,000BTU. It's the biggest one they make that's intended for indoor use. I'm thinking two of them might be just enough to keep my two story 2,000 sq.ft. house (& pipes) from freezing in the winter, for a day or two while the power is out.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/511VN856ywL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
. ^ Dyna-Glo 23,000BTU Indoor Kerosene Heater

Selkirk

P.S.
Happy New Year! :wave:

nimrod
01-01-2018, 12:33 PM
At times you must think out of the box, now what is your furnace using to heat your house, if it's natural gas, what not add a stove that can heat with or without power,

https://www.woodenergystore.com/residential/view-product/heat-glo-tiarra-2.html

Lefty
01-01-2018, 02:45 PM
I have the one on the left and it really goes through the fuel. The middle one runs a lot longer on fuel but gives off less heat. If the power is out a while having two of the middle ones might be a better idea. Might not keep things as warm but should definitely keep things from freezing up. running out of Kerosene and not having heat could be a problem. The owners manual says not to use fuel over a year old, but I have had no problem using fuel two years old. It is a lot more expensive than it used to be.

expedition
01-01-2018, 03:15 PM
If the heater has no chimney then they are not safe to run inside your home.

Selkirk
01-01-2018, 04:26 PM
At times you must think out of the box, now what is your furnace using to heat your house, if it's natural gas, what not add a stove that can heat with or without power,

https://www.woodenergystore.com/residential/view-product/heat-glo-tiarra-2.html

That ^ 'box' that you talk about, is the one that I'm trapped in ... see post #6. :)

If the heater has no chimney then they are not safe to run inside your home.

I'm no expert, but from what I've learned, unvented kerosene heaters that are specifically designed to be used 'inside',
have two basic requirements;
- Must be CSA Certified [CAN3-B140.9.3-M86 (R2015)]; http://shop.csa.ca/en/canada/fuels-and-appliances/can3-b14093-m86-r2015/invt/27007851986
- Must be used and maintained, as directed by the manufacturer.

Sorry, that's all I know :confused0024:

Selkirk

tigger
01-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Still have the box mine came in and it says no installation/flue/chimney required for safe indoor use. But as in anything that burns a fuel, just ensure adequate ventilation is available.

Sundancefisher
01-01-2018, 08:45 PM
How about this if you have natural gas.

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-57341-Olympian-Wave-6-Catalytic/dp/B000BV01CK

nimrod
01-01-2018, 09:39 PM
That ^ 'box' that you talk about, is the one that I'm trapped in ... see post #6. :)

I'm no expert, but from what I've learned, unvented kerosene heaters that are specifically designed to be used 'inside',
have two basic requirements;
- Must be CSA Certified [CAN3-B140.9.3-M86 (R2015)]; http://shop.csa.ca/en/canada/fuels-and-appliances/can3-b14093-m86-r2015/invt/27007851986
- Must be used and maintained, as directed by the manufacturer.

Sorry, that's all I know :confused0024:

Selkirk

Sorry missed the forced-air electric furnace, never new they made one

Selkirk
01-03-2018, 04:25 PM
How about this if you have natural gas.

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-57341-Olympian-Wave-6-Catalytic/dp/B000BV01CK

I wish :cry:

Sorry missed the forced-air electric furnace, never new they made one

Forced-Air 'Electric' Furnaces are a rarity in Alberta, but anywhere in BC where NG is not available, they're fairly common. They work the same way as NG furnaces, but heat with electric elements instead . . .

https://modernize.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/electric-furnace31.gif

Fortunately, in most parts of BC electricity is fairly cheap, compared to it's cost in Alberta. However, when the power goes out in the winter, you're up Poop Creek if you don't have an alternate back-up ... hence this thread about Indoor Kerosene Heaters :)

Selkirk

Puma
01-03-2018, 05:00 PM
How many watts is that furnace ?

On a side note, heard on the news today we are in for a large increase in our electricity costs in Alberta. ;(

The 2018 average pool price is forecast to be $43 per MWh compared to the 2017 projected
average pool price of $24, an increase of 81 per cent. The higher pool prices anticipated for 2018
are due to:
 anticipated return of strategic offer behavior;
 implementation of a new carbon performance standard; and
 higher demand.

Ken07AOVette
01-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Can't put in a woodstove or fireplace? I hate kerosene, used them for a while years ago.

Selkirk
01-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Can't put in a woodstove or fireplace? I hate kerosene, used them for a while years ago.

Truth be known, a wood stove was the very first thing we thought about! :happy0034:

The problem is, to keep all our plumbing lines from freezing during a power-outage in the winter, a wood stove would have to be installed in our basement. As the wife and I hardly ever spend any time in our basement, the only time a wood stove in our basement would get used would be during the 1 to 3 days in the winter when the power goes out.

The alternative for us is to use one or two large indoor kerosene heaters that will do the same job for those 1 to 3 days a year, but for a whole lot less cost, fuss and bother ... hence this thread about indoor kerosene heaters. :)

Selkirk

Selkirk
01-05-2018, 10:43 PM
We just had another power outage! But this time it only lasted 3 hours ... Thank Gawd !

Guess I'd better put my plans for an emergency indoor kerosene heater, into second gear :)

Selkirk

Red Bullets
01-06-2018, 12:14 AM
The heaters will see you thru 2 or 3 days. Long term consider offgrid power. If you have a small creek uphill nearby get a "Powerspout".

http://www.powerspout.com/

I had a 1920 coal and wood kitchen stove in the basement for emergency use. It had a water reservoir on the side and a warming closet on top. I could cook on it and have hot water always.

Selkirk
01-07-2018, 05:06 PM
The heaters will see you thru 2 or 3 days. Long term consider offgrid power. If you have a small creek uphill nearby get a "Powerspout".

http://www.powerspout.com/

I had a 1920 coal and wood kitchen stove in the basement for emergency use. It had a water reservoir on the side and a warming closet on top. I could cook on it and have hot water always.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=141460&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1515222689

Thanks Red ... you're always good for some neat ideas!

For the time being, all we need are indoor kerosene heaters to get us through the rare day(s) in the winter when the power goes out.
However, our long-term plan is to eventually install a wood stove on our main floor. After that is installed, all we'd need is a
kerosene heater for our basement during a winter power outage.

:cheers:

Selkirk

archercurt
01-07-2018, 08:22 PM
I've got one similar to the middle one, use it to heat my work shop now and then. It works really good. Doesn't put out as much heat as I anticipated but when left on for a long period of time it does a fine job. Very little smell. Only a bit of smoke when you first light it and when you put it out. One tank of kerosene lasts quite a long time. Watch for them second hand, kijiji etc. Reasonable prices to be had if you watch.

Ken07AOVette
01-07-2018, 08:48 PM
It's too bad you can't use propane i have a brand new one I would give you.

CaberTosser
01-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Or how about a construction type heater that fires on either propane or fuel oil, but not a direct-fired one, one with a proper heat exchanger. Just rig up an adaptor that will lead it’s output in through a window, or even into your furnace ductwork. Of course it would be mount outside for its exhaust and air intake to not have to be MacGuyvered inside the home. You’ve probably seen the flexible hose-ducts running off of such construction heaters into a tarped up project. Search ‘Herman Nelson’ as that’s the name of one brand that they all get called by default. Of course you’d need a generator to run it.

I would probably rig up something more automatic as a back-up, the generator on a proper interlock and a furnace on either fuel oil or propane. Something that would engage and operate even if you were on holiday in Scotland or Mexico, etc.