PDA

View Full Version : Internal frame pack on external frame?

fishduck
01-01-2018, 06:33 AM
I'm planning a hike in hunt this fall with some friends. I'm a long time camper so I already have an internal frame camping pack that is 75L (black and blue but the moose won't notice). Its decent quality (Lowe Alpine Contour III) and I'd like to save my pennies from buying another pack.

Could I carry my portion of a moose with this and 3 other guys?
Can I easily fasten this to a external frame pack if needed?

Here's a pic of the pack stuffed with pillows and me trying the gun on it: https://imgur.com/a/DBXMb

straight
01-01-2018, 07:10 AM
I shot and hauled uphill three moose (one in prairie by myself and one in Kananaskis by myself) using this device:
https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product-category/otter-sleds/
If you are planning to debone your quarter your pack is fine.
Good luck

calgarychef
01-01-2018, 08:56 AM
The best way to carry heavy loads is still the external frame pack. Internal frames were designed for technical climbing etc. Somehow the public liked the sleek look and forgot about external frame packs.

fishduck
01-01-2018, 09:03 AM
The best way to carry heavy loads is still the external frame pack. Internal frames were designed for technical climbing etc. Somehow the public liked the sleek look and forgot about external frame packs.

I agree that an external frame is better. I'm not arguing against that. I'll clarify my post I guess. Is the pack I have suffice and can I use it with an external frame?

Map Maker
01-01-2018, 10:27 AM
Yep.
Learn how to debone and gutless method.

3blade
01-01-2018, 11:34 AM
-lots of people pack meat with an internal frame pack. Will it max out sooner? Of course. Will it hold up to the weight? Depends on how much you can pack, the limit of the pack may or may not be above the limit of the hunter.

-Yes, but why? If you're going to carry an external frame anyway (highly recommended for a moose hunt), how much are you saving by not buying and using the bag? Not enough to justify the weight penalty.

I'll throw out my opinion here: - the practical limit of the internal frame is a mulie. Bigger game = external. You won't regret the investment.
-even with four strong guys, you are not packing out all the meat off a moose, and camp, in one trip.

Bigiron
01-01-2018, 09:00 PM
- the practical limit of the internal frame is a mulie. Bigger game = external. You won't regret the investment.
-even with four strong guys, you are not packing out all the meat off a moose, and camp, in one trip.

Well said, couldn't agree more

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

fishduck
01-14-2018, 12:19 PM
I'm still not clear on this but I assume I can fasten my internal frame pack to the external frame.