PDA

View Full Version : Bloodhounds

buckbrush
01-01-2018, 01:23 PM
As some of you may know we had to say goodbye to our St.Bernard Jethro on Christmas Day.

We were planning to wait for a while to even think about another dog as this loss is still heavy on our hearts.

Jethro was my 5 year old son's best friend and he has been asking about getting another dog. He is a big fan of dogs and any time one is around it takes his full attention.

We have been thinking about a bloodhound and wondering if any of you have any experience with them.

I understand being a scent hound they need a fenced area, we have a large fenced area that could be expanded if needed but we like to have our dogs in the house to.

Is there anything to screen for in these dogs, common issues, reputable breeders ect?

I would also like to have a dog that would be able to be taken places with us and enjoy going with me on long hikes and shed hunting (maybe help find sheds?)

Main thing is a family companion.

Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

leeelmer
01-01-2018, 01:47 PM
I would not recommend a blood hound unless you want to hunt with it. They are terrible pets. Dig holes,bay.
My cousin outfits for cats and has lots been around them my whole life. My mother inlaw had one tried to make a pet out of it. Didn't work.
Must be fenced. And burry your fence 24inches or tgey will dig out. Must be tied if out of a fenced yard. Will **** all your nabours off as it will bay at everything then all the nabours dogs will start barking
If let off a lead they are gone.
I cant stress it enough they are a wonderful working dog but make a terrible pet much better breeds out there for pets.

Trochu
01-01-2018, 02:02 PM
I've only had Great Danes but I've heard enough about blood hounds to know I'd never want one as a family pet.

densa44
01-01-2018, 02:03 PM
If you don't need t to hunt they aren't very good pets. They are great hunters though.

Ask about other breeds that you are interested in.

buckbrush
01-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Ok, well that's what I needed to know!

Looks like we will have to look into something else while doing some research.

Some of our other choices we are looking into would be a Rhodesian Ridge back or a Catahoula.

Thanks again.

denied access
01-01-2018, 02:19 PM
You have terrible taste in Dog Breeds :scared0018:

buckbrush
01-01-2018, 02:23 PM
You have terrible taste in Dog Breeds :scared0018:

Thanks for your insight.

MooseRiverTrapper
01-01-2018, 02:25 PM
Get a lab.

flyguyd
01-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Ok, well that's what I needed to know!

Looks like we will have to look into something else while doing some research.

Some of our other choices we are looking into would be a Rhodesian Ridge back or a Catahoula.

Thanks again.

I had a Ridgeback / lab cross several years ago. One of the best dogs i ever had:thinking-006:

CMichaud
01-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Boxer

Best family dog i ever had. Not much of a hunter thoigh

Labs are a good all around dog too

Zakery 70
01-01-2018, 03:06 PM
If you don't need t to hunt they aren't very good pets. They are great hunters though.

Ask about other breeds that you are interested in.What are they great hunters for? I had a friend who was a long time cougar guide and trapper who had a pair of them. They were so slow on a track he never got a single cougar or lynx with them. If your dog can't press a cougar hard enough to tree it's really slow, lynx are much harder. He gave them away in the spring.

flyguyd
01-01-2018, 03:07 PM

TylerThomson
01-01-2018, 03:27 PM
If you want a family pet that's smart and loyal and willing to die for your kids look into any of the guardian breeds. Not working dogs like collies. Think great pyranese , merima, kengel, etc. I had a great pyranese and he was amazing. He passed and now have a pyranese x kengal. Unreal smart and protective.

Just so you know a pyranese is the size of a small pony lol with the head of a bear.

artie
01-01-2018, 03:58 PM
I wanted a choc lab and when I finally got one people kept asking me how I liked my chessie (chesapeake bay retriever) so I am not sure of his breed. I have a big brown dog who never spent much time with kids but is so good with babies and young ones I can't believe it. He likes to chase bears away and has helped me with both blacks and grizzlies. He has a mind of his own and lets me know when he is sad or happy. Now that he is ten he moans a lot kinda like all old men. When he goes I would like to get the exact same dog again even though I know that is not possible. When he was younger I would take him back country skiing in the deep powder. If he could beat me down the hill with him running and me skiing it made him so happy. As he got older he would take a headstart and take off while I was still getting ready. Now I always let him beat me as I know the day is coming when I will have to pull him on a sled. I could write a whole book on the things he as done like running into the hospital when the automatic door opened but I guess I better stop.

gitrdun
01-01-2018, 04:05 PM
I do like hounds very much. As others have stated, blood hounds are meant for a specific purpose. The biggest draw back in my humble opinion is that their drooling is much more than I wish to deal with. Perhaps if you're set on a hound type dog, consider a smaller breed such as a fox hound perhaps. And of course there is my absolute favorite, the almighty little Beagle. I have one, and cannot say enough good things about them. Small, compact, great indoors and loyal to a fault. Benny the Beagle comes on road trips with me and is absolutely the best co-pilot. I can take him into a motel/hotel and most have no issues to accept them. Their nose is something to behold. :)

jr_80
01-01-2018, 04:47 PM
When I first read your post I didn't want to be the first to say all of the above because I thought you were set on a hound.

My vote is for a golden retriever. I've had a few and over the last 18 years, 2 litters. They do all that you have listed-very well. Easy to train, smart as a whip, and an excellent family dog. Will work and search when asked.

A suggestion would be to do your homework and to get from a reputable source or breeder. Every breed can have bad seeds with people breeding to make a quick buck.

pikergolf
01-01-2018, 04:49 PM
Look into the versatile group, Google it. They are very much into people, and make great companion dogs. They do need lots of exercise.

denied access
01-01-2018, 05:03 PM
I put my chocolate down in the Fall. i got a English Springer Spaniel in November and so far i really like him. Seems pretty smart. Quite well behaved. Maybe a wee bit lazy.

270person
01-01-2018, 06:28 PM
If you want a family pet that's smart and loyal and willing to die for your kids look into any of the guardian breeds. Not working dogs like collies. Think great pyranese , merima, kengel, etc. I had a great pyranese and he was amazing. He passed and now have a pyranese x kengal. Unreal smart and protective.

Just so you know a pyranese is the size of a small pony lol with the head of a bear.

Good recommend. He's had a St Bernard so the size thing is moot. GP is a much better dog imo. Have two friends with them and they love them. Gentle dogs with kids and quite protective of the house as well.

Only drawback? Big dogs. Big turds. But he'd be used to that as well.

TylerThomson
01-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Good recommend. He's had a St Bernard so the size thing is moot. GP is a much better dog imo. Have two friends with them and they love them. Gentle dogs with kids and quite protective of the house as well.

Lmao yup big everything. Mine goes to the bush to do his business and he's fast enough to kill rabbits. I'd hate to see what would happen if a coyote wondered inside his electric fence I don't think even the shock collar could stop him. But I've never seen dogs so gentle with small children. Don't pretend to play fight or attack kids anywhere around these dogs unless you got an extra pair of pants hahha.

buckbrush
01-01-2018, 07:03 PM

I was real lucky with Jethro. He trained himself from when he was a pup to go out into the bushes. I found his spot when i was cutting firewood one day. Was like a mine field!

Talking moose
01-01-2018, 07:16 PM
I too like GP and have had one. Great dogs. Only drawback is they are great roamers.

buckbrush
01-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks to everyone for your advice.

After lots of reading in the last few days, advice and here, through PMs and talking with my son. We are leaning towards a Lab, either chocolate or silver.

At first the boy didn't want a lab because "they are too pointy and don't have enough face skin to pet" but I think he is coming around on the idea and we think it would be a good pup for him and trainable for what I want as well.

nast70
01-02-2018, 01:03 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice.

After lots of reading in the last few days, advice and here, through PMs and talking with my son. We are leaning towards a Lab, either chocolate or silver.

At first the boy didn't want a lab because "they are too pointy and don't have enough face skin to pet" but I think he is coming around on the idea and we think it would be a good pup for him and trainable for what I want as well.

Sorry for your loss, been there.
I don't know where you are located, but if a good pet Lab is your choice, Waggin Tails by Morinville is where we were selected by ours. And yes, we didn't pick him, he picked us. Well we picked the parents, and after waiting 18 months the deal was sealed and he came home.
We let him pass to the big dog house in the sky almost 2 years ago now, and his presence is still missed.

buckbrush
01-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Well, we put a deposit down on a Lab.
After talking to multiple people who have bought dogs from this breeder over the years. I think it will be a good fit

Going to go with a male dilute color chocolate, like a light silver.
Wondering what the Lab purists think about them "silver labs"??
:fighting0074:

Thanks for the advice all.

TylerThomson
01-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Well, we put a deposit down on a Lab.
After talking to multiple people who have bought dogs from this breeder over the years. I think it will be a good fit

Going to go with a male dilute color chocolate, like a light silver.
Wondering what the Lab purists think about them "silver labs"??
:fighting0074:

Thanks for the advice all.

Congrats. Every boy needs a dog