PDA

View Full Version : Metal Detecting Ghost town

i love fishing
01-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Is it illegal to metal detect ghost towns? If not, is there laws on it?

purgatory.sv
01-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Is the ghost town clear of legal title?

i love fishing
01-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Is the ghost town clear of legal title?

What do you mean?

D4l3k
01-02-2018, 07:14 PM
If it's crown land and not a protected lands (Provencal heritage site, park land etc)

Or if it's private land but you have permission from the owner

You should be good to go

If it's on some sort of tourist place maintained by someone I would get their permission before digging up their land... Not many people like strangers punching holes in their grass every where...

C2C3PO
01-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Is the land that the town on still owned privately by someone or has the area long since been abandoned and reverted back to Crown land?
In other words, just because no one is living on it/developed on it does not mean someone doesn't own the property......

i love fishing
01-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Ok

Ken07AOVette
01-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Sounds like great fun actually, if you do get permission (if required) please put up some pics of your find!

JD848
01-03-2018, 01:06 AM
You never know ,the owners may all be ghost holding the deeds,do a bit of search and enjoy your time,if no one has been there for a long time chances are you won't be haseled,but check first.leave me a pm where your headed incase you go missing after the big find,haha.

i love fishing
01-03-2018, 01:08 AM
You never know ,the owners may all be ghost holding the deeds,do a bit of search and enjoy your time,if no one has been there for a long time chances are you won't be haseled,but check first.leave me a pm where your headed incase you go missing after the big find,haha.

haha

owlhoot
01-03-2018, 08:32 AM
There is a book called Gold Creeks and Ghost Towns, Printed first in 1970 about the Gold days of the Kootenay's, Okanagan and Similkameen,, A good read, A lot of people took up combing the towns with metal detectors, finding coins and or gold in the cabins floor boards.

bat119
01-03-2018, 09:03 AM
There is a book called Gold Creeks and Ghost Towns, Printed first in 1970 about the Gold days of the Kootenay's, Okanagan and Similkameen,, A good read, A lot of people took up combing the towns with metal detectors, finding coins and or gold in the cabins floor boards.

That's a good book.
I think its safe to assume during the 70's when metal detecting boomed all the old placer sites were well searched I doubt if here's anything left. I read about people burning the old cabins then panning the ashes looking for gold dust.

Albertadiver
01-03-2018, 09:12 AM
If you're near Red Deer, you might find this interesting.

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/speaker-series-brings-ghost-towns-to-red-deer-museum/

i love fishing
01-03-2018, 10:45 AM
If you're near Red Deer, you might find this interesting.

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/speaker-series-brings-ghost-towns-to-red-deer-museum/
Im in Calgary

Red Bullets
01-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Besides ghost towns there are many places to consider. Hit the local history books. Private landowners may let a person detect too.

Public areas have been hit by the metal detector clubs. They hit the beaches, parks and probably ghost towns.

Sitting Bull
01-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Glad to see this post come up I was curious as well. I bought a detecter several years ago but got lazy and have not used it in a while. Need to dust it off and get ready.

calgarychef
01-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Settle down everyone, ain't gonna be any dirt fishing for a few months !

Crankbait
01-04-2018, 08:32 PM
a friends father in the late 70's early 80's used to run horses at the milo/McGregor track. while using the outhouse something in the dirt caught his eye and it was a very old dime. so he bought a detector and found other nice artifacts around the track. try to think about those kinds of places. and if you're into fishing, many of the southern reservoirs come spring will be really low water and a prime time to walk structure and load up on lures and the like/
cool thread