PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Salmon fishing thread

Jamie
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Ok guys...

Who is getting pumped up about this season?
Who’s going, where you going, How are you doing it, When are you going?

I am really pumped about the idea of hitting the salt water again this year.
Its going to be 9 family members and clients going to Prince Rupert again. We have the lodge to ourselves and will be fishing 3 to a boat. I like 2 more so than 3. But its ok on this trip.
Our dates are June 29-July 5.
Due to the flights, we are going to have another long day in Rupert as we arrive at 10 AM and can’t get to the lodge till 5-6 at night. Anyone know of anything cool to do in that little town.. Other than sit in the bar all day?

I want to try and pick up a Islander MR2 or MR3 Reel before we go, but I say that every year. If anyone knows of one or 2 for sale, please let me know.

I WILL land a 30#er + this year. I just know it:lol::lol::lol:

Jamie

savagencounter
05-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Ok guys...

Who is getting pumped up about this season?
Who’s going, where you going, How are you doing it, When are you going?

I am really pumped about the idea of hitting the salt water again this year.
Its going to be 9 family members and clients going to Prince Rupert again. We have the lodge to ourselves and will be fishing 3 to a boat. I like 2 more so than 3. But its ok on this trip.
Our dates are June 29-July 5.
Due to the flights, we are going to have another long day in Rupert as we arrive at 10 AM and can’t get to the lodge till 5-6 at night. Anyone know of anything cool to do in that little town.. Other than sit in the bar all day?

I want to try and pick up a Islander MR2 or MR3 Reel before we go, but I say that every year. If anyone knows of one or 2 for sale, please let me know.

I WILL land a 30#er + this year. I just know it:lol::lol::lol:

Jamie
Im heading to terrace june 25-july 12 hitting the skeena, lakelse, copper, kitamat and kalum trying to beat my records 82lb chinook out of the kalum and 26lb steely out of the copper, my dad got a 30lb steely last aug at china bar. Im pumped went there last oct and got 22lb coho and the wife first timer 18lb coho she didnt even know how to reel yet lol. As long as i live ill return there just like the salmon . Best place on earth for fishing. Hopefully we will hit work channel for some crab codd snapper and halibut. My cousin a girl pulled a 425lb hally her first time on a charter out of prince rupert last summer man was i jealous lol but happy for her too. With the enhanced fish protection and regulations on commercial and native fisheries the fishing there is better than its been in 20 years and yes i fished it every year during that time. Anyone else heading there around that time let me know i grew up there and know all the hotspots. You buy some beer and share some stories and ill save you the coin you would waste paying a guide. Jamie you must like wasting money lol guides are for fools there lol. If you cant catch a 30lb fish from shore around terrace you not fishing lol.

Jamie
05-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Im heading to terrace june 25-july 12 hitting the skeena, lakelse, copper, kitamat and kalum trying to beat my records 82lb chinook out of the kalum and 26lb steely out of the copper, my dad got a 30lb steely last aug at china bar. Im pumped went there last oct and got 22lb coho and the wife first timer 18lb coho she didnt even know how to reel yet lol. As long as i live ill return there just like the salmon . Best place on earth for fishing. Hopefully we will hit work channel for some crab codd snapper and halibut. My cousin a girl pulled a 425lb hally her first time on a charter out of prince rupert last summer man was i jealous lol but happy for her too. With the enhanced fish protection and regulations on commercial and native fisheries the fishing there is better than its been in 20 years and yes i fished it every year during that time. Anyone else heading there around that time let me know i grew up there and know all the hotspots. You buy some beer and share some stories and ill save you the coin you would waste paying a guide. Jamie you must like wasting money lol guides are for fools there lol. If you cant catch a 30lb fish from shore around terrace you not fishing lol.

82 Pounder.. OMG!! Lets see some pics.

As for my lack of size.. well like they say size doesnt matter:lol::lol:

Nah.. Its just me!! Just like Elk, those pesky 30#ers+ HATE ME!!!
I have seen days were guys release the 30+ on side of the boat and I cant get a whiff on my side... I think someone is saveing me up for a monster like your 82.

Even if you have posted pics of that pig, could you please post again.

Please tell me more about how you guys fish, I have never hit a river looking for Salmon. Take your own boat?

Thanks
Jamie

savagencounter
05-18-2009, 02:40 PM
82 Pounder.. OMG!! Lets see some pics.

As for my lack of size.. well like they say size doesnt matter:lol::lol:

Nah.. Its just me!! Just like Elk, those pesky 30#ers+ HATE ME!!!
I have seen days were guys release the 30+ on side of the boat and I cant get a whiff on my side... I think someone is saveing me up for a monster like your 82.

Even if you have posted pics of that pig, could you please post again.

Please tell me more about how you guys fish, I have never hit a river looking for Salmon. Take your own boat?

Thanks
Jamie
we go cheap lawnchairs beer no boat set up along the kalum or lower skeena we use the typical spinning glow setup tipped with roe. bottom bouncing works good too, fly fish for steely and sokeye as well. I always reccomend shore fishing in my books you catch way more then from a boat. No time wasting driving or noisy motors and the salmon run up the rivers is huge. the skeena holds the biggest fish . Kalum if you want the giants ive seen 100lb plus taken several times about 3km up from the bridge. Most of us that grew up there have never fished from a boat and always catch lots of big salmon. If you got the coin thats great but a guy can go there without all the extras and guaratee a great trip. Avoid the kitamat over fished and the fish are real spooky there and lots of hatchery fish boo. I have pics of the steelhead but cant figure out how to shrink it to fit on this site. Dont trust the guides there remember they make their only money off tourists there. If you have more questions pm me. Have an awsome trip i miss the eagles and bears and i can already hear FISH ON echoing of the mountains.

TBark
05-18-2009, 02:41 PM
We'll be fishing off Sooke again in July, 20 - 25th or so.
It's the odd year so we'll likely bring back 25 or so, just the 3 - 5 pounders, Coho and pinks likely, maybe a sockeye or 2. Just can't keep the kid & wife interested long enough to go after the big springs.
The meal size ones are good in the freezer for the year.
I may fish in tight for springs with my uncle if the wife goes shopping for one day.

TBark

dss44
05-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm getting antsy...just bought a new 27ft Grady White as our 2nd boat, so we have the 31ft Pursuit and the Grady rockin' the fish this year! Always a HUGEEE competition between our boats too...father vs. son :D lol Of course I'm usually victorious!!!

Getting some great reports out of Hardy, already catching some in the mid twenties!! Plus halibut and bottomfish extremely easily!! Good call on the salmon thread...will post all my reports on here for the summer. You'd think since there is a "recession" it would be harder to get bookings, but this year is one of the most we have ever been...only 2 slots left...which there is a deal on for.

Last year lost 2 that were over 60 at the boat....and one I swear that we never saw but it had to be over 60lbs...this year, we are going to catch at least one of those...I can feel it in my bonessssssssssss.

fisher Gord
05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Just finished discussing with my wife and I am going to fish out of rupert with my uncle for halis,ling and some springs on his boat out on the salt. I will get there on june 20, and even if the springs in the sceena are bigger there is something about fishing in the deep salt water. Gord

savagencounter
05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Just finished discussing with my wife and I am going to fish out of rupert with my uncle for halis,ling and some springs on his boat out on the salt. I will get there on june 20, and even if the springs in the sceena are bigger there is something about fishing in the deep salt water. Gord best thing about the salt is you never know what you might catch. i remember the old man swearing he had a huge hali on thenwhen it got up it was a giant octopus man are those things hard to get off the side of a boat, taste great though.

blackpheasant
05-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm getting antsy...just bought a new 27ft Grady White as our 2nd boat, so we have the 31ft Pursuit and the Grady rockin' the fish this year! Always a HUGEEE competition between our boats too...father vs. son :D lol Of course I'm usually victorious!!!

Getting some great reports out of Hardy, already catching some in the mid twenties!! Plus halibut and bottomfish extremely easily!! Good call on the salmon thread...will post all my reports on here for the summer. You'd think since there is a "recession" it would be harder to get bookings, but this year is one of the most we have ever been...only 2 slots left...which there is a deal on for.

Last year lost 2 that were over 60 at the boat....and one I swear that we never saw but it had to be over 60lbs...this year, we are going to catch at least one of those...I can feel it in my bonessssssssssss.

Hey I think the one over 60 has my name on it...I gotta beat the 47 my kid caught up there 2 years ago....he never lets me forget the little chit...:D oh and congrats on the new boat, those Grady's are the best....

Dark
05-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Just finished installing my trim tabs, heading for Dundas Isl. for the last week of June

CdnVet0506
05-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Going to be spending the 1st week of Sep on North Vancouver Island at Duval Point Lodge. Since its my "home waters" (grew up there), will be self-guiding. Taking wife and 2 friends.

dss44
05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey I think the one over 60 has my name on it...I gotta beat the 47 my kid caught up there 2 years ago....he never lets me forget the little chit...:D oh and congrats on the new boat, those Grady's are the best....

If you catch one over 60 when you are up with us, you better become a Canucks fan ;) :lol:

blackpheasant
05-18-2009, 06:18 PM
If you catch one over 60 when you are up with us, you better become a Canucks fan ;) :lol:

Oh Ya if I catch one over 60 up there I will be a Canucks fan....(for the summer)....:lol::lol::D

dss44
05-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Salmon fishing around Vancouver Island is apparently heating up very nicely...lots in mid 20's showing up already...real early and in good numbers which is a great indication of the upcoming season!!!

Jamie
05-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Salmon fishing around Vancouver Island is apparently heating up very nicely...lots in mid 20's showing up already...real early and in good numbers which is a great indication of the upcoming season!!!

Though this year is a "Free" trip, I just left a message with my guide. I think I am going to see if he has a few days before hand to take me out. It would be nice to really concentrate for a couple of days then let the good times roll once all the Yahoos show up.

Jamie

dss44
05-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Shocked you haven't caught one over 30lbs yet Jamie!! I can't think of a single day last year in July and Aug where we didn't catch one over 30lbs. If you want seriously good fishing, you know where to find it ;) ;) :lol:

Jamie
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
DSS..
Shocked doesnt discribe how I feel about it.:sick::sick:

But I have come oh so close. I have hit 29 and change more than a few times.
What I lack in quality I have more than made up in quantity.
And I sure am haveing fun looking for it!

Like I said, perhaps the fishing Gods are saving some truely huge hog for me.
I am thinking 70#s
:lol::lol::lol:

Every trip I have been on, I have seen a 50 pounder caught. With the exception of last year and then I saw 2 over 50 with one being WAY WAY over 50 released at a distance.LOL
So I think I am hitting the right places, I just need to get a bit more lucky.. My time will come.. Oh yeah it will come.

Take care
Jamie

Sundancefisher
05-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I am heading to Langara in 6 days for Chinook, halibut, ling and snapper. We have great luck every year so hopefully this will be no exception. My biggest Chinook so far is 36 pounds... I hope to get one in the 40's or 50's this year. A buddy got a 52 lber last year.

Cheers

Sun

Jamie
05-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Sundance.. You know a fiull trip report and pics are a MUST DO!

Good luck.
Who are you going with?

As a little treat, if you want a great meal on your layovers in Vancouver, grab a cab and head to the Flying Beaver. Its right close to the Airport.

Jamie

Sundancefisher
05-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Sundance.. You know a fiull trip report and pics are a MUST DO!

Good luck.
Who are you going with?

As a little treat, if you want a great meal on your layovers in Vancouver, grab a cab and head to the Flying Beaver. Its right close to the Airport.

Jamie

I organize a group trip through our social club at work. We fly direct to Masset and helicopter into Langara Fishing Lodge from there. We always have a great time. So far the biggest fish caught on our trips to date is:

Halibut 191 lbs
Chinook 54 lbs
Coho 18 lbs
Lingcod 66 lbs
Snapper 24 lbs
Salmon shark 180 lbs
Humpback whale...to small to measure...threw him back to grow bigger...

Sir. Kenneth
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
My brother is in River's Inlet for the entire month of August in exchange for fixing a buddy's boat for free the last couple years. Im headed up there from the 16th-23rd... Can't freakin wait! Going to break a world record this year! :)

elnino54
05-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I can't wait for July to come. I'm towing my fathers boat out to Port Hardy, July 10-19 th. I haven't been out to the west coast since 1990. Serengeti, I'd be glad to accept any tips/advice that you are willing to offer. My father has fished there quite a bit and seems to do ok, but I'm always willing to try something different. I plan on bringing my digital camera, so I hope to have lots of pics........

dss44
05-20-2009, 05:23 PM
For sure elnino54...if you have any questions I"m more than willing to help out (without revealing secret spots of course ;) lol), throw me an email, canucksfanatic44@hotmail.com

tikkashortmag
05-20-2009, 07:41 PM
We're heading to Ucluelet the second week of Aug on our annual trip. Always great fishing unless the weather doesn't cooperate. Everyone usually catches at least one Chinook each over 30# on a two or three day trip with lots of feeders. Last year the biggest was only in the mid twenties though. The largest so far has been 42#. We always hear of the larger fish, but haven't been fortunate enough to hook up. The coho can run up to the high teens.

I hear about fishing the best tides which is supposed to have the better bite. It lands between the full and new moon. I've heard the weather is most stable at this time. I'm not sure if it's true but I'm sure someone with more knowledge can comment. I'll try and attach a few pic's.

Tight lines!

dss44
05-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Fishing off of Vancouver Island the past week has been the best seen at this time of the year since the 70's. 315 Chinook brought in to one boat ramp in 3 days!!! Nice size too! So frustrating I am not yet in the water fishing them!! Cant wait...shaping up to be one hell of a year!!!

dss44
05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Wow...just read about a guy's day out on the water today on another forum...in 3hrs, landed 20 Springs with 3 doubleheaders!!! Things are looking UNREAL this year for salmon and halibut! UN-effing-REAL! Never have I even heard of this good of fishing this early....and not to worry, the fish most likely arne't coming early, as most of the fish he got into were the May size of 12-18or20lbs. This are bright days for salmon...let's hope it continues!!!!!!!!!!!!

dss44
05-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Who else is heading out west for some fishing this summer??

sharpstick
05-26-2009, 10:45 PM
i contemplated heading up to Naden Lodge as my past president has purchased it and invited me up (but to pay full price, cheap buggar) but I opted to go back up to Wolf Lake in the Yukon. What an amazing place. lake to yourself, spectacular scenery, wonderful food and hosts and of course excellent Lake Trout, Pike and Grayling fishing.. Heading up mid June. there is something about the Yukon that I just can't get enough of. Sorry to semi hi-jack your thread but thats my big fishing trip for this year. West Coast next year.
SS

Jamie
05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Wow...just read about a guy's day out on the water today on another forum...in 3hrs, landed 20 Springs with 3 doubleheaders!!! Things are looking UNREAL this year for salmon and halibut! UN-effing-REAL! Never have I even heard of this good of fishing this early....and not to worry, the fish most likely arne't coming early, as most of the fish he got into were the May size of 12-18or20lbs. This are bright days for salmon...let's hope it continues!!!!!!!!!!!!

What other site??

I CANT FRIGGEN WAIT TO GO!!

Jamie

Walleyes
05-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Getting the bug again big time myself. Its been just over a month since I was out west on the Hali trip and I am feeling the call again big time.

Not to sure were I am heading this summer, we were thinking of hitting Nootka in August and may still do that or back to Sooke. I do like Sooke it has treated me well over the years and I do know the waters well so that helps. But I do know that Nootka can produce some unbeleivable fishing. The last time I was there about 4 years ago by the 3rd day of a 5 day trip we were releasing multiple 25# & 30# Chinook a day cause we had enough.. I have been looking into a couple lodges around Nootka that offer do it yourself opurtunities where you can bring your own boat and groceries makes it very affordable. That is one thing about Sooke and where we stay at Sunny Shores it is very affordable. By all acounts its supposed to be a decnt year for Chinook and if nothing else it is a Pink year ( pesky little buggers ) so there should be lots of action.

One thing is for sure is that the wife is not coming,, she has had enough Slamon fishing for a while she is taking a year off. So when I do head out it will be a stag trip. Hopefully my oldest son will make it out and probably just one other person and it will be just a 5 or 6 day trip this year strictly fishing though,,, should be fun.

Best of luck to all this year and do not forget the camera's at home guys,, lets see those pics..

drake
05-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Im going to Winter Harbour in August with Leisure Suit Charters out of Port Mcneil. We've had great fishing the last couple of years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/AB_Drake/P8030281.jpg

2big4u
05-27-2009, 10:36 AM
We leave on the 10th for a 5 day trip to Peregrine Lodge, 6 of us are going for my Dad's 60th, Never been to the Charlottes CAN NOT SLEEP.. going to be a long 2 week wait.

dss44
05-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Peregrine is a real nice lodge. You will enjoy yourself for sure! Never heard of Leisure Suite until now...Look for our 27ft Grady out there drake and give a wave...my dad may be out there with the Grady with guests, or maybe out of Hardy...wherever the best fishing is.

Sundancefisher
05-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Just got back from Langara! Wow we had a fun trip. Chinook are running a little late this year so I am probably moving my group trip later by a week.

Biggest Chinook caught on the trip was 41 lbs. Biggest Halibut was 55 lbs. Biggest Ling cod 46 lbs.

Scenery sure is spectacular! I hope to have a few pics of the gang!

Cheers

Sun

Tides and Tales
06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I was out on 3 trips last week, and I think we are in for good fishing this summer. The chinook fishing is hot right now, and we have been connecting at every spot I have tried. I pulled into Duval point on my way home on sunday, and hammered 3 smilies in the last 40 minutes of the day! Rumor on the street says we will also get a crack at sockeye this year, which is sweet because they still bite around Hardy, and we are also on the largest salmon migration route in BC - both inside and outside runs go by us! Can't beat that. Plus, we have been getting our limit of hali's while trolling salmon. On friday, I had to release a 70lb+ hali that took my anchovy (we were already limited out) - tough problem to have. Anyhow, tight lines to you all, summer is here!!
MK

http://www.tidesandtales.com/photo/photos/5cddd2bbcd08170f442ec23f2a05db10_thumb.jpg

winged1
06-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Talked to a couple of fellows that where up at Bella Bella this week. Thier report was hardly any boats out, no action.

skanks18
06-04-2009, 10:46 AM
has anyone heard anything out of rupert yet? heading out there first week in august dont know what to expect.

Jamie
06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Skanks. In speaking with my guide last night, he said they had released over 35 yesterday on one boat. we will be there at the end of June.

Now I am just searching for a place to take my dear wife in the middle/end of July.
I was thinking I had never been to Hakai pass (OBMG) and that would give me the Grand slam of fishing places. But it might be a little early for that spot. Still though it sounds like a nice time to spend with my wife. Just her and I bobbing around in boat. We havent seen each other due to the busy family life we lead and I think it would be great to get to know my wife again.

Jamie

dss44
06-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Great day on the water today...only a half day and still nailed them! Limit of nice Lingcod (some real beauties...perfect for getting a big filet), some beauty Snapper, then went off for 2hrs of salmon fishing...first 6 passes hit every 2nd pass, then the tide began to turn and starting an hr and a half before high tide BAM BAM BAM every pass, non stop...all in low to mid 20's which is good size for early June...since our primetime is July/Aug...couldn't keep them off. Have pics of the biggest Chinook and Ling! What a day...no, what a half day!!! For half a day...sure was amazing.

Jamie...Pursuit + Wife = Happy LOL :lol:

Here are the pics...

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Ron-FishingJune7170.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Ron-FishingJune7198.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Ron-FishingJune7199.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Ron-FishingJune7200.jpg

Jamie
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I just picked up a SMOKIN deal with OBMG out of Hakai Pass. Turns out they must anchor the Marabell there in order to keep the lease they have and they are looking to fill the boat. My discount was basically 1/2 off.
This is all in from Vancouver and includes, flights, room, food, fishing, bait, gas.. EVERYTHING!!!

If anyone wants to go, please get in touch with me and I will see what I can do to help.
I am taking my wife on her first trip. It seems like the ideal set up. We will have covered boats and access to all the white beaches if she gets bored. Fish as much or as little as you want.
In all my trips I have taken, I have never been treated so well as I get treated at OBMG. I don’t say this lightly as I consider myself to have really high standards. These guys have yet to disappoint.

I have been on the MV Marabell before and I can assure you it is a nice set up. Food is great, staff is out of this world. Weather should be great, bring the suntan lotion!

Not sure what the Chinook fishing will be like but I am really looking forward to the COHO. We might be a week or so early for the Chinooks, but I am sure they will still be around.

Jamie

dss44
06-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Mid July should be good timing for Hakai...we are hot and heavy then and I know a big rivers inlet chinook run goes into rivers mid july...so that should be good timing. It's hit or miss there, but if you get there on the hit...bigggg Chinook to be caught!!!

blackpheasant
06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Mid July should be good timing for Hakai...we are hot and heavy then and I know a big rivers inlet chinook run goes into rivers mid july...so that should be good timing. It's hit or miss there, but if you get there on the hit...bigggg Chinook to be caught!!!

Your right about the miss part at Rivers - to many misses for me there, Hardy, Winters Harbour and Tofino are my Fav's I think the Charlottes are over-rated and over-priced, anyone else ?....:)

Jamie
06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Your right about the miss part at Rivers - to many misses for me there, Hardy, Winters Harbour and Tofino are my Fav's I think the Charlottes are over-rated and over-priced, anyone else ?....:)

Not over priced at all. In fact I think if you did your reasearch you would find most to be very comparable. Remember though Air fare is not cheap.

I just finished comparing one lodge in Prince Rupert to another on Vancouver Island. They were just about the exact same price. BUT it costs more to get to Rupert. BUT you would have to rent a car to get to the one on the island.

As for over rated.. Not so sure on that one. But I havent fished the island at all.

Next year though I want to take a hard look at Hardy.
I guess a good question would be this.
Does a guy have to really get off shore in order to catch the same quality and quantity. Most of the fishing I have seen up north has been close to land.

Walleyes
06-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Jamie;

There is a lot of great fishing opportunities around the Island that a person can do inshore. I personally have not yet in 30 some years of going out to the coast ever had to head to the outside. Now sure there are years we probably could of done better on the outside but we have always been able to get our fish in close. And in some area's I have seen guys enjoy days of fishing in car toppers and do very well on big fish while doing it.

As far as the Charlotte's being as cheap as the Island,, sorry not even close. Now yes there are expensive Lodges on the Island but if you want to do it on a budget,, well you can do it on a budget on the Island you can't do it on a budget in the Charlotte's.

You can drive from Calgary or Edmonton in 14hrs to many a good place on the Island. You can be to Sooke from Calgary in a vehicle in 13hrs,( $300.00 gas return in a decent Vehicle) stay at a clean but yes budgeted motel ( $60.00/day) a couple guys book a charter ($650.00/day) split is $325.00 a piece do this for a 3 day trip which on a year like this is you will get plenty of fish and nice fish as well. Now add this up and tell me if this puts you in the Charlotte's.

Gas = $300.00
Motel = 4 nights @ 60.00/night = $240.00
3 day charter = $2200.00 with gratuities.
Stay at a kitchenettes and throw in $300.00 for grub.
Not going to add in fishing licenses cause you got to get those any place or booze if thats your thing cause thats never included in an exclusive either.

So we have a total of $3040.00 split it at least in half cause you gots to take a buddy you will be on a great fishing trip for 3 days for around $1500.00 !! again try this in the Charlotte's good luck.

2big4u
06-09-2009, 07:13 PM
12 hours til I leave... Our whole group has been walking around with sh*& eating grins for the last week. First time for any of us to the Charlottes.

Jamie
06-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Jamie;

There is a lot of great fishing opportunities around the Island that a person can do inshore. I personally have not yet in 30 some years of going out to the coast ever had to head to the outside. Now sure there are years we probably could of done better on the outside but we have always been able to get our fish in close. And in some area's I have seen guys enjoy days of fishing in car toppers and do very well on big fish while doing it.

As far as the Charlotte's being as cheap as the Island,, sorry not even close. Now yes there are expensive Lodges on the Island but if you want to do it on a budget,, well you can do it on a budget on the Island you can't do it on a budget in the Charlotte's.

You can drive from Calgary or Edmonton in 14hrs to many a good place on the Island. You can be to Sooke from Calgary in a vehicle in 13hrs,( $300.00 gas return in a decent Vehicle) stay at a clean but yes budgeted motel ( $60.00/day) a couple guys book a charter ($650.00/day) split is $325.00 a piece do this for a 3 day trip which on a year like this is you will get plenty of fish and nice fish as well. Now add this up and tell me if this puts you in the Charlotte's.

Gas = $300.00
Motel = 4 nights @ 60.00/night = $240.00
3 day charter = $2200.00 with gratuities.
Stay at a kitchenettes and throw in $300.00 for grub.
Not going to add in fishing licenses cause you got to get those any place or booze if thats your thing cause thats never included in an exclusive either.

So we have a total of $3040.00 split it at least in half cause you gots to take a buddy you will be on a great fishing trip for 3 days for around $1500.00 !! again try this in the Charlotte's good luck.

Walleyes. I have to disagree a bit. The only big difference I see in between the costs of fishing south and north are your transportation costs. Land bsed lodges are very comparable in price.

Take care
Jamie

dss44
06-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Was out today...HORRIBLE tides for bottomfishing, but still managed some nice ones. Took us awhile to find the salmon, but once we did, it was non stop action!!

Here are Ken's Lingcod and his salmon...he fileted mine before I could stop him for pictures!!!

23lbs
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/FishingWithKen001.jpg

NICEEEE Lings
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/FishingWithKen006.jpg

MightyMiss
06-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Well Jamie, I haven't been to Prince Rupert in Quite some time but they used to have a cable trolly up to the top of the lookout point. They had nice paths up there and a fantastic view of the town and ocean.

fisher Gord
06-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I should be fishing out of Rupert by next Sunday, I need some more fishing reports to tide me over until I can leave. PLEASE please infected salt water fisherman.

Jamie
06-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Fisher. PLEASE keep us informed of your trip.
We leave on June 29.
Who are you going with?
We will be with Salmon King Adventures, they have a lodge in Dodge cove (Digby Island)

You know, its been a really long day. I started off with a 2 hour Ball practise, I took at least 8 phone calls on the field, came home, sold 1 of my listings, sold a investment home, got a new client set up to see a condo, sold that condo. (I was to busy to show it, so Mom stepped in), and I just finished talking with a client for close to 2 hours (It's now 11:45). Thankfully I had my Brother to go pick up my Lawnmower and both he and dad went and picked up my new Smoker. All of this is happening while my dear wife is moving boxes to our new house and my Mom is throwing a BBQ for my Grandmas 78th B-Day. Not one of these deals is a "easy" one, all have issues that can be overcome, but it's going to take some serious string pulling to make it happen.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my work, but getting to come on here and think of being out on the water just makes me feel better. I relish that day in June when I get to shut my phone off, throw it in the Salt water and just sit back for a few days. No one can call, no issues to deal with, no fires to put out. Its just enough for me to "Sharpen" the axe and get back to it.

Please post up your stories and pics. It gives me a chance to escape.. Even if just for a few minutes. Lets see if I can start posting up some Salmon pics tomorrow.

Take care, I am off to bed.
And thanks for posting everything so far guys.

Jamie

dss44
06-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Jamie...sounds like you are busy as hell selling stuff...at least you are doing well for yourself!! Gives you even more oppurtunity to get out and fish :D Am headed out on Monday or Tuesday...may even do an over nighter with a fellow Hardy guide and do some exploring. So will let you all know how it goes then...NEW BOAT ARRIVES HERE TOMORROW!! So for 2 days will be washing her and getting her all suited up for the season...guiding starts in 1 week!!!! :D Can't wait...some awesome reports coming out of the Charlottes right now (it's their primetime)...those fish should be hitting us down here in about 2-3 weeks....right as our primetime starts and we get busy as hell!!

Bottomfishing tides are HELL come next week though...18ft tides!! UN-effing-real!! Should move the salmon south real fast to us though.

David

fisher Gord
06-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Jamie I fish with my retired uncle who lives in Terrace,and has a 26ft Campion, we will probably fish Stevens island and Edy pass unless we hear some reel good reports from Dundas

Dark
06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
I should be fishing out of Rupert by next Sunday, I need some more fishing reports to tide me over until I can leave. PLEASE please infected salt water fisherman.

We should be launching out of Rupert Sat/20. Going to spend 3 or 4 days on my boat around Dundas. Never been there, staying at Goose Bay I think

dss44
06-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Buddy went out yesterday...killing them out there...I'm headed out on Tuesday assuming all goes well...Limits being caught, all in low 20's...big boys haven't showed up yet...but soon. 2 spots open for rest of summer...new deals on all inclsuive that are unreal.

EarlyBird
06-15-2009, 07:39 AM
AWESOME THREAD!!! and some very nice pictures!

2big4u
06-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Just got back today from Peregrine lodge. WOW!!!
Day one my brother and I both caught 30# + fish. fought both of them in site of my Dad (he said it was the best birthday present he's had in a long time)
the biggest Chinook from the group was 41# and a 56# Hali (out of 35' of water on salmon gear)

4 days of glass like water and clear skies most of the time.
fishing in shirtsleeves is pretty rare up there this time of year
Our entire group limited out and released lots of 25# plus fish. Thre were even 6 Coho caught...

Time to start saving empties for next years trip...

Will post pics later...

Dan.

dss44
06-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Fishing up in the Charlottes right now is super hot. Fishign down here is evensuper hot and its early...limits being caught of Chinook pretty much everyday, no giant size, but like I said its early, all between 15-30lbs. Fishing hasn't been this good this early for awhile...looks like an unreal year guys! Heading out again Thursday, then Saturday and then pretty much 6 1/2 days a week on average after that...will report back every day or couple days!! 20% off 2 dates in July right now...can't beat it ;)

Also fish out of Winter Harbour and now have a spot where we hit 70-140lbs halibut non stop!!!! Plus 30-40lbs Lings like there is no tomorrow!! It's UNREAL!!!

Jamie
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Well I just got a fantastic Email from my booking agent at OBMG. (we will be at Hakai pass July 17)

Take a read

Hi Jamie,

So, I was called down to the owners office yesterday. Big Bob was given a copy of the lovely email you sent. He was happy you were happy and asked if I needed anything in regards to your reservation. I said, “Yes, I need you to sign off on your room for them.” He did it and guess what?!!! You are now guaranteed to get his room. I’ll tell you, that almost NEVER happens so congrats!

And thanks again for your kind words.

Warmest regards,

Rayne Miller

Senior Reservation Agent

Oak Bay Marine Group

So instead of staying in a room that has 2 single beds only seperated by a small wash sink... I manged to get my wife the SUPER SUITE!! It has 2 captain beds, sitting table and a wet bar, along with plenty of room to dry your clothes. I was fortunate enough to spend one trip in that room. (Pure luck as our room apparently was having issues and they dont give out this room)

Big Bob also has asked that Heidi be well taken care off and to make sure she has absoulutly every thing she needs.

Now thats some nice service!!! Heck, nice doesnt even cut it. This is WAY WAY over the top.

Jamie

dss44
06-17-2009, 11:49 PM
That sounds sweet Jamie...if you don't catch one over 30lbs I will be shocked and saddened for you...especially considering how much you head out!! If you don't feel free to come up our way and you will nail some for sure :lol:

On another note, our 27ft Grady White just arrived here 3 days ago, after 2 days of extensive cleaning to get here looking like new, she looks unreal! Almost new!! Pretty much actually! In pristine condition...can't wait to get her out on the water.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GradyWhitePictures001.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GradyWhitePictures002.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GradyWhitePictures003.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GradyWhitePictures006.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GradyWhitePictures010.jpg

Jamie
06-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Great looking boat. Very comfy looking!!

You should put up some rails on the back end of that thing.
I will show you a pic of it when I get back in a few weeks. Its a great add on.

BIG BIG help to the guests.

As for a 30#.. Well with my luck my wife will catching all those.:lol::lol:

Besides.. Its not the size of the fish, it's the adventure

(Well at least thats what I keep telling myself:lol:)

The Salmon fishing Gods are saveing me for something REALLY REALLY BIG!!
But It does look good this year.
Rupert in Late June/July then Hakai pass July 17. Rupert should be "SUPER" Prime time.. Hakai could be fantastic, hard to say.

Jamie

blackpheasant
06-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Well I just got a fantastic Email from my booking agent at OBMG. (we will be at Hakai pass July 17)

Take a read

Hi Jamie,

So, I was called down to the owners office yesterday. Big Bob was given a copy of the lovely email you sent. He was happy you were happy and asked if I needed anything in regards to your reservation. I said, “Yes, I need you to sign off on your room for them.” He did it and guess what?!!! You are now guaranteed to get his room. I’ll tell you, that almost NEVER happens so congrats!

And thanks again for your kind words.

Warmest regards,

Rayne Miller

Senior Reservation Agent

Oak Bay Marine Group

So instead of staying in a room that has 2 single beds only seperated by a small wash sink... I manged to get my wife the SUPER SUITE!! It has 2 captain beds, sitting table and a wet bar, along with plenty of room to dry your clothes. I was fortunate enough to spend one trip in that room. (Pure luck as our room apparently was having issues and they dont give out this room)

Big Bob also has asked that Heidi be well taken care off and to make sure she has absoulutly every thing she needs.

Now thats some nice service!!! Heck, nice doesnt even cut it. This is WAY WAY over the top.

Jamie

Congrat's you won't be roughin it, now let's see if they can hook you up with a TYEE.....:D

dss44
06-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Just had Aug 1-4 open up due to cancellation...this is primeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee time...where we caught all our hogs over 50lbs last year with exception of the one in June...best fishing you'll find on the coast during that time right where we are.

headed out tomorrow and sunday, will report back on how she is going :D Can't wait...

The Fish King
06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
I also am headin out for some hardcore salmon action. Cant wait! July 24-31 morice, bulkely, kitimat, kitsumkalum, lakeisle rivers! Should be absolutely prime time!!!

dss44
06-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Crappy weather today...rollers were at least 5m high, knocked more kelp off the rocks than I knew existed in the whole bloody ocean :lol: Made fishing nearly impossible in most of the usual haunts...still got a 20lbser and lost a few as well :( ...actually, the father did...lucky its fathers day or else I would of ragged on him :lol: Still nailed some nice bottomfish on some pinnacles on the way in we had never tried in protected waters...BIG Ling, plus limited out on rockfish and with some snapper in the mix (snapper count towards rockfish limits). Marking lots of fish, but when you are rocking back and forth like a toothpick in a bathtub, plus every 100yards have to get kelp off the lines, makes it hard to persuade those fish to bite lol Overall a decent and fun day on the water with the pops and family friend..heading out tomorrow and the weather forecast is only for 1-2m waves...so much better!

blackpheasant
06-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Yum Yum I think ling cod is the best anyway's - are they going to open sockeye up that way ?

dss44
06-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Most likely...on wednesday a friend of mine caught 6 sockeye!! had to let them all go...looks like there should be an opening come mid july. And a fan of lings eh? We'll put you on crap loads of lings larry...you'll go home with 6 of the bad boys!!! ;)

Coho will be unreal this year...up in the Charlottes those fish are about 3 weeks away from us, for the past week they have been nailing the **** out of coho and chinook, will be here shortly :D It's going to be stupid good here shortly...

blackpheasant
06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I am so looking forward to getting on to the Island - One of these years I'm staying for good, sounds like it's going to be another banner year up there for you guy's can't wait man.....:)

dss44
06-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I can't wait to see you in that Canucks jersey :D ...Oh, I haven't forgotten :lol:

blackpheasant
06-20-2009, 11:53 PM
DAMN !!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

monstermuley
06-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Its damn near time to come catch some big ol fish again Dave, and by the way great thread Jamie.

I got to beat that 43 pounder I got last year. I have been so busy at work down here in Houston I haven't really had time to think about fishing but this thread has the itch back.

By the way what are those dates again Dave? July 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th right?

elnino54
06-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Dave.........When trolling for Salmon, what size/lb test leaders are you using off the back of your flashers and are you using flourocarbon ? Do you find it makes much difference ? Do you have any particular preference for size/style hooks ? ie up turned eye, snelled, Gamagatsu etc. I know down south, circle hooks are very popular, are they recommended for use when bottom fishing with bait ? Thx.

Craig

yukonfisher
06-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Salmon fishing...:( how I miss it!! Im from the Yukon, and have been here in Calgary for about 5 years on and off now. Used to go into Hains Alaska and fish in the Chillcoot and Chillkat rivers. What adventures....and FISH! Biggest fish I pulled out of the chillcoot was about 20+lbs. What a fight that was! One year I'll get back up there to do it again! At least I keep telling myself that:):):)

dss44
06-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Its damn near time to come catch some big ol fish again Dave, and by the way great thread Jamie.

I got to beat that 43 pounder I got last year. I have been so busy at work down here in Houston I haven't really had time to think about fishing but this thread has the itch back.

By the way what are those dates again Dave? July 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th right?

11th, 12th 13th and 14th Brian. Oh, believe me, I'll be doing my best to make sure you do beat that 43lbers of last year...didn't you nail 2 over 40? And I just remember being scared ****less when Pat wanted to net it and when he went after it...this year I'm very confident we will catch one over 60lbs at some point over the season.

dss44
06-21-2009, 06:35 PM
elnino, we use 40lbs Seaguar Blue Label...although I just received an email 10minutes ago with some information that makes me believe the "Premier" Seaguar flurocarbon is better...and yes, only flurocarbon, it is invisible in the water and despite what many think salmon aren't quite as dumb as people are led to believe. It's little things like that that make the difference between a limit of fish in the boat and only 2 hitting in the cooler. We use Eagle Claw Laser Sharp size 1, sometimes followed by either a single trailer or a small treble trailer hook. The trailer hook makes a difference when they are just mouthing the bait, which happens a bit up here since there is so much needlefish around.

We use J hooks when bottomfishing. Once in a blue moon when we are targeting BIG halibut only, we will throw out a circle hook, but not usually.

dss44
06-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Fishing today was AWESOME WHEN we could actually fish the spot properly...the wind came up reallyyy early this morning around 9:30-10am and messed up what looked to be a day that a limit of nice Chinook would be easily caught. Of our first 6 p*****, 4 Chinook bites, one in the boat, and one lost. Nice 23lbser. As the day went on the wind picked up and it got reallll snotty real fast. Put some other nice fish in the boat but weren't able to limit out which I'm 100% confident would of occured otherwise as the awesome fishing in the morning was during low tide...high tide (best fishing) wasn't until 1:15pm.

Willpost pictures later tonight...have some bison to go eat at the moment :D

Scott h
06-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Back from a week up in Masset and is it ever looking like it's going to be a good return this year !! We did great on chinooks ( once I started using anchovies instead of herring) and even got a couple of coho. One's in the oven as I type this . Halibut were plentiful but nothing over 20#. The crabs are starting in on the beach also and we had a good morning on a 1 metre tide
( not as low as we would like ) and we ended up having an all you can eat crab meal .
We'll be back up there in a 2 weeks and hopefully it remains as good !

Scott H

monstermuley
06-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Ya I did get two over 40 and darien got one to if I remember right. Ya I was a bit concerned about the netting job myself but we got him in, and it was fun as heck. And really for us thats all its about.

Man I can't wait to get going.

dss44
06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Can't wait to see ya up here again Brian...I'm stoked!!!

Here are some pics from yesterday...some nice salmon and nice ling...

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Kal-Fishing007.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Kal-Fishing009.jpg

Walleyes
06-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Sounds like we are heading for a great year out there guys,, if you have the chance and can find the time this would be the year to head out west..

dss44 looks like you guys are slayin them,, good work and keep the pics comin boy..

I was checking the tide charts today and if I get to head west this summer,, ah who am I kidding "when" I head west this August to Sooke. According to the charts I am going to try and get my room booked for some time between the 10th - 21st with the 13th to the 21st being the prime floods. Should bring some big runs into JDF. Maybe this will be my year to break 40# !!!

Keep the post's coming boys its looking great..

bowness
06-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Your hitting prime time for the Kitimat river chinook. 82 lbs from the Kalum, I thought that was the river record? Could have changed as it has some big fish! I fish the Kalum for steehead every christmas. If its too cold I go boarding at Shames. What a place to live!!! Have fun, we are heading out there the first week of Aug and taking jet boats down the Douglas.

steve
06-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Nice fish boys...

I'm going with captain jim's out of Kitimat. 5 days living on the boat. Never been on the salt water, should be a good time.

pdfish
06-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Damn, you guys are getting me revved up for my salmon trip. We leave in 3 days for the Kitimat. Hopefully I can post some success pics when I get back.

dss44
06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
WOW...THE FISH ARE HERE!!!!! LIMITED OUT TODAY BY 9:30AM ON CHINOOK...and honestly, we could of been limited out by 8am as the flatlanders (from Calgary) lost tens and tens of fish before we limited, and we also lost about a 25-30lbser to a seal. First pass, double header!!! One of many of the day...we were only using 2 rods as that is all we could keep up with, otherwise I'm sure we could of had triple headers too. Most fish were around the 20lbs mark (which is around what the size they should be considering its June...come July Aug that avg will move up to about 28lbs.

Ended the day with limit of Chinook, smallest being 13lbs (first one in the boat, if we knew the fishing was going to be this good would of let it go), others all 20-24lbs....

20 and 23lbs
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/RobComartinFishing015.jpg

Then...our last fish of the day....HOG!!!! LET'S HAVE SOME GUESSES OF THE SIZE OF THIS BAD BOY!!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/RobComartinFishing005.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/RobComartinFishing002.jpg

elnino54
06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
My guess would be 43 lbs for the fish in the middle/last photo...

blackpheasant
06-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Nice, I'll say 39-40 lbs...4 more weeks to go....:)

Jamie
06-24-2009, 12:31 AM
I would guess under 45#'s

I will let my Bro take a look, he is uncanny at guessing weight. He beats the pants off the guides EACH AND EVERY TIME.

Ok, I recived the MR2 I ordered today and dispite the gripping jelousy I had... I turned it over to my Dad in thanks for all the great help he has been this week. I was going to get one for myself, but my wife mentioned something about a new Washer/Dryer. So I thought it better to just order one.. SIGH.. Perhaps next year. But Dad has generously offered to let me use it when I take my wife in the middle of July. My god what a wonderfull looking reel. Its gold for those that care.

Lots of new hooks/Flashers/downriggers(Deep six)/fake bait came with my order, I will see if I can post up some pics.

Only a few more sleepless nights till we go. In surfing another site the reports are sounding great, the weather looks fantastic with a high preasure system looking to roll right in.

Its getting close folks!!

Jamie

Agb Crash
06-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Love the pictures and the posts. I am heading out to work Channel in Terrace, Rupert area. Anyone use the road yet this year?
How is camping, parking in the launch area.
Is my Astro van ok for this road or 4x4 only?
I have a smaller boat 18ft so i like the idea of protected waters.

Will be out the last week in june first week in july.

Fishing tips, trolling speed, down rigger depths, flasher and herrring? Hoochies?
Incoming tide, out going, slack, high, low?
Jigging, spoons, stingers, buzzbombs etc....
halibut techniques?

My boat is good for about 140km round trip. Fuel available in the channel? Bait shops in the channel?

GPS Co-ords would be great. PS Can you tell I am a noob. I actually grew up in Rupert but have not been back in 20 yrs.

Walleyes
06-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Booked the cabin at Sooke yesterday. Got pretty close to the dates I wanted we are in from Aug 10th - 15th.. So that will put me there just at the start of the heavy floods,, should be some good fishing..

Now we count the days,, 45 and counting...

TBark;

What are your dates for this year are we going to be able to hook up ??

2big4u
06-25-2009, 08:43 AM
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt119/loeber74/SalmontripTyee.jpg

Not a bad first day for the lodge, Our guide was walking with a bit of a swagger that night... 30 and 34 pounds.

fisher Gord
06-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Just got back last night, 1 12 lb Coho, 1 25 lb white chinook that I saw hit the herring when I was checking for weeds, we kept 4 ling and our limit of hali's. Fishing with family is good, catching with a guide is better. my uncle is not the best chinook fisherman as far as location goes. The cooler was still heavy to unload. Now to clean out the truck.

Walleyes
06-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Good to hear you guys had some success fisher,, a tub full of Hali is always good, even better when its in the pan..

Fishing with family is good, catching with a guide is better.

You are right,, catching fish with family is good not to sure about the guide part,, it's much more rewarding to do it on your own and a guy gets to buy that many more toys which is always fun lolol..

Sheepcrazyguy
06-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Heading to the Charolettes 8th of August for 2 weeks. This will trip #5 for me.

monstermuley
06-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Here is the one I got last year with Dave, 43 pounder.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/monstermuley/BigGuy.jpg

fisher Gord
06-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Walleyes I have fished sooke, renfrew, pedder bay with a cousin who guides and with my own boat. It is an easy area to learn compared to Rupert. But you are right that first chinook in your own boat will always be remembered.

Walleyes
06-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Walleyes I have fished sooke, renfrew, pedder bay with a cousin who guides and with my own boat. It is an easy area to learn compared to Rupert. But you are right that first chinook in your own boat will always be remembered.

Yah I like Sooke its one of my favorite places on the coast we have been going out there for the last 10 years or so now with the last 6 years in a row. I have fished a few of the spots up and down the Island like Camble River ( in the good days ) Port Mcneil, Port Hardy, Nootka, & Prince Rupert. But Sooke is definitely my favorite hole its just so convenient and if you time it rite the fishing is as good as you can have it just about any where's.

dss44
06-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Here is the one I got last year with Dave, 43 pounder.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/monstermuley/BigGuy.jpg

That is a great picture!! I don't have that angle! By any chance could you email it to me?? I like that angle more than the one of you with it on our site! canucksfanatic44@hotmail.com if you could. That would be awesome Brian, thanks! :)

Jamie
06-26-2009, 12:07 AM
That is a great picture!! I don't have that angle! By any chance could you email it to me?? I like that angle more than the one of you with it on our site! canucksfanatic44@hotmail.com if you could. That would be awesome Brian, thanks! :)

GREAT FISH!!!

But what the H.E.L.L is the Islander doing on the floor?????? Thats pure gold you guys have just kicking around.. (Okay BLUE) but still obviously you need another hand on that boat:lol::lol:

Jamie

The Bit Runner.
06-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Anyone going up to terrace and fishing the skeena soon?Do you think its too early to go up there.I plan on leaving on the 1st of july.What do you fellas think.

hunt_and_fish
06-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Anyone going up to terrace and fishing the skeena soon?Do you think its too early to go up there.I plan on leaving on the 1st of july.What do you fellas think.

I'm heading over there around the 17th for a few days. I've never been to that area so I'm no expert but from what I understand at least one of the rivers should be good while you are there. July is supposedly the best month for Chinooks on the Skeena so you may be hitting it just right. In June and possibly early July, the water can sometimes be pretty high and dirty so the fishing can be tough (this depends largely on the weather etc.) but if that is the case the Kitimat is usually at it's peak from mid to late June so you might want to try it out. The Kalum is another fantastic river. I'd go into one of the tackle shops when you get into Terrace and ask them. I can't wait to get there man. You'll have to let us know how you do. I'm trying to soak up every bit of information I can get on fishing salmon around there so I definitely look forward to hearing how it goes for you. Good luck.

The Bit Runner.
06-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks ill need it,I see the river is 7m high right now where we are going,i sure hope it starts to come down.

Rigg dogg
06-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Got back the other day from Masset.
Met up with Scott H off the forum here just before he headed home, then met a few guys off of the B.C sportfishing forum, all good guys with lots of helpfull info.

Lots of fish around just couldn't find any size. Biggest Spring was 22lbs, LOTS in the 14lb range. Caught a few white meat Springs as well.

Quite a few Coho around also, pretty early for them. So didn't get anything bigger than 9lbs.

Seen a few nice Spring's come into the cleaning table, a couple over 35lbs.

Lots of Halibut, no big ones though. Made the 50 mile run over to Langara, of course the wind had to pick up about the same time we arrived. Tried a few spots on the East side of the Island, picked up a bunch of small Red Snapper. Tried over on the West side, Pretty Ugly. Had planned on spending the night but decided to make the run back in case it got worse by morning.

Left the boat over @ Sand Spit to get some work done on it, might try around there in late July or early August.

Took a look around the Marina @ Cow Bay in Rupert on the way home, seen a few nice fish in there.

Hunt & Fish, and Bit runner, the rivers are running pretty high and muddy but should be cleared up by July I would think.

We stopped @ Moricetown for a look, couldn't see a thing.

Walleyes
06-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Good report thx rigg dogg. Its good to hear you guys got into a few.

digger5e
06-27-2009, 10:53 AM
The river is high an dirty now, was pretty good a while back.
Will be going back in first week of July.

The Bit Runner.
06-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Welcome to the fourm,look forward to more pics like that.Congrats on a monster fish.

Jamie
06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
It's been a long go waiting for this trip.
We leave in 9 hours or so.

I am just waiting on the dryer to finish packing.
Dads new reel is loaded up with line. But curriously they didnt put any backing on it.. Should that matter?? If so, we will strip it off and get it Re loaded in PR.

Only 8 of us are going and we will have the lodge to ourselfs, one of the fellows backed out this week due to sickness. Very unselfish of him. He was worried that he would end up getting sick and ruin the trip for the rest of us.

So 8 guys 3 Boats 4 days. It should be 2 guys per boat for once or twice during the trip. SOunds like the fish are there and the weather looks ok.
Unfortunatly we are stuck in Rupert till mid afternoon.. I hate that part.

Pics when I get back!!

Jamie

Walleyes
06-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Good luck to you guys Jamie. I know how stoked you are about this trip so I hope you guys have a blast but most importantly,, be safe man..

Rigg dogg
06-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey Walleye's, one of these trips the report is going to include a pic of a 40lber and I don't mean Vodka.

Hey Jamie all the guys I have seen with MR-2's had backing on them, I am not sure what the reasoning behind it is. But I did hear one guy mention that it could spread your reel apart.

My MR-3's state that they don't need backing, I do know that the MR-3 has a larger arbour then the 2's. They worked PURRRRRFECT on this last trip.

Kill the afternoon in Rupert @ Breaker's pub going through the Martini list :lol::lol:

Good Luck on your trip!

nube
06-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm headed to Port Renfrew on Aug 10 for 3 days of fishing. Did well for numbers last year but not much for size. Hope things change for the better this year.

For you Salmon guys I have a few questions.
For the Renfrew areas what is the best time to be there? I figured second week in Aug would be best with lots of Coho around and by then they should have a chance to be a good size.

What is are the better areas to fish for numbers and size? Does it really matter much?

ABDUKNUT
06-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Kalum if you want the giants ive seen 100lb plus taken several times about 3km up from the bridge. Most of us that grew up there have never fished from a boat and always catch lots of big salmon.

That's a tad far-fetched, even for a fish tale...

blackpheasant
06-28-2009, 11:25 PM

WOW that's amazing considering the BC record Hali stands at 320 Lbs caught at Langara....and all those 100 lb + springs is exceptional as well considering the world record spring stands at 97 lbs caught in Alaska, I love a good fish story just like the next guy but.....:lol::lol::lol:

Walleyes
06-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm headed to Port Renfrew on Aug 10 for 3 days of fishing. Did well for numbers last year but not much for size. Hope things change for the better this year.

For you Salmon guys I have a few questions.
For the Renfrew areas what is the best time to be there? I figured second week in Aug would be best with lots of Coho around and by then they should have a chance to be a good size.

What is are the better areas to fish for numbers and size? Does it really matter much?

Nube;

You should be right in the thick of things in Renfrew that time of year for both Coho and some nice Chinook. Don't let last year be a referance it was a poor year up and down the coast,, just one of those years. As far as better areas, again it all depends on timing and honestly you are going to be there at prime time there will not be a better place to be I almost garantee it.

You are going to have a blast..

dss44
06-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Weather has been ****...but we have still found lots of fish it has just been bumpier and a bit harder on the back!! Here are some pics from the past couple days...

Bugger almost broke my finger
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Day1-RichardsonGroup011.jpg

32lbs
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Day1-RichardsonGroup007.jpg

34lbs
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Day1-RichardsonGroup002.jpg

24lbs
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/FishingDonRichardson-Day2010.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/FishingDonRichardson-Day2008.jpg

HE CAUGHT THESE 30MIN APART (The 24 was caught in between these)...33lbs and 32lbs
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/FishingDonRichardson-Day2004.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/DonRichardsonFishing063.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/DonRichardsonFishing059.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/DonRichardsonFishing058.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/DonRichardsonFishing050.jpg

Ever since June 20th, we have caught AT LEAST one over 30lbs a day...big fish this year guys...for this time of the year they should be avg 20lbs...but so far are avg 27lbs at least...lots of feed everywhere around this area...could be a reason for it.

David

blackpheasant
06-29-2009, 10:39 PM
More great fishing:love::love: counting down the days now....how much did the Hali weigh ?.....PS your shirt and hat are GROSS......:D

dss44
06-29-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm going to wear those just for you when you are out!! :lol: Hali weighed 80lbs...caught on salmon gear....pretty sure I've become the big hali's on salmon gear king lol

gunslinger
06-30-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm going to wear those just for you when you are out!! :lol: Hali weighed 80lbs...caught on salmon gear....pretty sure I've become the big hali's on salmon gear king lol

i agree dave get a new shirt, ur luck will be alot better.

remember that hali last year dave that the guy caught on salmon gear what a monster, heres a picture of it, 177 pounder.

The boys are pumped about coming out this year again.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/gunsligner/P1010344.jpg

fisher Gord
06-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Nube the best time for coho at renfrew is sept, and that is usually when the biggest chinook are caught also. they have a coho derby usually around 20lbs win, island outfitters year long salmon derby winner usually comes from renfrew end of aug. begining of sept. 2nd week of Aug does have some big smilies in the port renfrew marina fishing archives, Good luck

forest walker
06-30-2009, 01:44 PM
How much do those coho grow in a month? what size in the first week or 2 in August can a guy expect to catch? I would love to do a trip like this some time.

Sundancefisher
06-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Just finalized up our oil companies group trips to the Queen Charlottes. June 8-12, 2010 and Aug 31-Sept 4, 2010.

I have 8 spots left for June 8-12, 2010 and as organizer I can now invite others to take advantage of our deal.

It comes with a great derby built in, direct charter flight to Masset from Calgary etc. etc. etc.

PM me if interested.

Cheers

Sun

Peace Country
06-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Very nice fish Dave. What are you using for gear, spoons, plugs, or bait?

Kevin
Blue Sky Outfitting

dss44
06-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Bait Kevin...anchovies! Nothing else comes close to out fishing them!!

dss44
06-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Well guys...I'm not sure what to say other than I was close to making another Epic Day Thread but I'm starting to think if I do that there will be a new epic salmon fishing thread every day!!

Today we limited out..8 CHINOOK!, 4 Coho, 6 Rockfish, and 1 big ol' hali!! IT ONLY TOOK US 2 1/2 HRS TO CATCH THE SALMON!!! The weather then blew up and we had to leave or else we would of caught and released to our arms dismay!! I KNOW there is not better fishing on the coast than right where we are...summer to remember gentlemen!! Summer to remember! :D

HERE ARE SOME PICS...

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Day3-DonRichardson003.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Day3-DonRichardson007.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Day3-DonRichardson015.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Day3-DonRichardson002.jpg

dss44
07-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Limited out once again today...first pass HIT 5 CHINOOK! just didn't get any hooks into any of them :P However, it didn't take much longer after that to get the rest in. limited out by 10:30AM once again...ridiculous fishing :D Pics to follow...

dss44
07-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Irish Girl...Nice
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/DavidDay002.jpg

These were hard to hold at the same time...
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/DavidDay003.jpg

The 4 that didn't go to the smokery...
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/DavidDay006.jpg

Jamie
07-05-2009, 12:00 AM
What a TRIP!!!

Tons and TONS of fish, we released many many more than what we kept.

Final tallies look like this
1 48#er
3 in the 30# range
1 12# coho.

Limits with the rest Over 500 pounds of fish in 3 days.

We fished Dundas and Edie

Lots of Coho around Holiday. Bait balls that will make your whole screen go red.
We used Herring and when that shut down we switched to plugs and spinners. That did the trick.

My Bro caught a 15 pound Yellow eye. 2 Halis in the mid 20's But we didn’t spend much time with that end of things.

And still I haven’t busted the 30# mark. My guide thought I did for about 5 hours.. The scale told a different story.
Lots of laughs, unfortunately I can not give the same report for our lodge owner. We made the best of a horrible situation and when it became unbearable we left early.

Hats off to Dollys (Fish packer) That Charmaine really knows how to take care of customers. She was a real class act and should be named Mayor of that town. Quality person for sure!

Pics when I find the Cam.

Jamie

BTW the new Islander was worth every penny.
BTW no matter what your "Outfitter tells you.. Do not park in the yacht club parking lot. The good folks over there will have the tow truck on you ASAP and then that friendly fellow will charge you $60 just to get his truck out of the way. Nice Tourism idea. Makes me want to run right back. Oh well as a group we still had lots of laughs and that’s all that really counts.

Walleyes
07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Right on Jamie glad to hear that you guys made it back safe and good to hear that you got into the fish..

Can't wait to see the pics..

So whats the story with the lodge owner ??

dss44
07-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Awesome to hear you had a good trip Jamie!!!! I'm interested about this story about the lodge owner too! Those fish will be down here in Aug...so good to see that they are coming strong...as all reports from the Charlottes suggest July will be awesome too....this season looks to be one of the best in recent memory :D

Was out yesterday (well deserved day off today...got some zzz's) and limited out once again...that makes it 7 days in a row of limits now on Chinook. Some reallll nice Snapper in there too. Limited on hali's as well. Was drifting real heavy for the Snapper..otherwise would of limited on those too I'm sure.

One of the boats also limited on Coho....Therefore one boat completely limited out on everything they tried for (they didn't head out for snapper) and the other did almost as much. Fishing is unreal. Smallest Spring yesterday was 16lbs...out of the limit caught, only 3 were below 20lbs, 2 over 30lbs. Including one real nice hog (pretty easy to spot in the pictures of all the fish (on right hand side). Great day once again...it seems to be never ending. And the BIG BOYS (aka over 40lbs fish) shuold starting showing up within the next week.

David

Here are some pics of last 2 days:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/UncleMark010.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/UncleMark011.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/UncleMark015.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/UncleMark016.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/UncleMark003.jpg

DAY 2!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/UnkyMark032.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/UnkyMark035.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/UnkyMark038.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/UnkyMark041.jpg

riles160
07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
my son and i are heading to bamfield for the 3rd year in a row going out the last week of aug we rent a boat from seabeam charters havent landed anything real big but its always fun

dss44
07-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Well...this is now the 8th day in a row we have limited out on Chinook! Today we limited out BY 8:15AM!!! 6 CHINOOK BY 8:15AM!!! We started fishing at 6:45am...so in an hr and a half we nailed these plus lost a few and missed hooking another. As one of my guests said today, "the only problem with the day was that our guide couldn't get two rods in the water, geeze...but it was because of fish hitting non stop, so I guess I'll let it pass" haha :lol: 2 Chinook under 20lbs (17 and 19), plus a 21, 23, and two hogsssss well over 30lbs.

After that went out to some secret pinnacles (salmon spot also fairly secret which is nice...only 2 boats there), and limited out on Red Snapper (Yelloweye) and then hit the chicken coup and limited out on halibut in 8 minutes...all between 16 and 30lbs. One of the guys was sick so we decided to head er in instead of nailing some lings. Great day...great fishing, nice and calm for a change...and the salmon fishing is UNREAL...gotta love life guys! Jamie...pics from your trip man..pics!! Plus that story! lol

David

HE CAN'T LIFT THEM haha Larry caught both hogs!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCutcheonFishing011.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCutcheonFishing007.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCutcheonFishing004.jpg

Jamie
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Well, lets just hope all those fish we sent back make their way down to Hakai pass by the 17 of July. Perhaps that will be where I will find my 30#er:lol::lol:

I know I am hitting the right places as every year I see monsters and pigs being brought in to the boat.. Just not my turn YET!!!

Looks like your company is having a fantstic season.

As for the story, well that will have to wait till I am done with my discusions.

Pics are here on my comp, I just have to find some time to put them up.
As one final kick in the nads.. "Apparently" the guide who took the pics of the 48#er has "Lost" his camera..........

Ever seen a 15# Yellow Eye?
Jamie

Jamie
07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, this is ticking me off, no matter what I do I cant get them over from Photo Bucket..
Anyone want to help?

Jamie

BobLoblaw
07-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Well...this is now the 8th day in a row we have limited out on Chinook! Today we limited out BY 8:15AM!!! 6 CHINOOK BY 8:15AM!!! We started fishing at 6:45am...so in an hr and a half we nailed these plus lost a few and missed hooking another. As one of my guests said today, "the only problem with the day was that our guide couldn't get two rods in the water, geeze...but it was because of fish hitting non stop, so I guess I'll let it pass" haha :lol: 2 Chinook under 20lbs (17 and 19), plus a 21, 23, and two hogsssss well over 30lbs.

After that went out to some secret pinnacles (salmon spot also fairly secret which is nice...only 2 boats there), and limited out on Red Snapper (Yelloweye) and then hit the chicken coup and limited out on halibut in 8 minutes...all between 16 and 30lbs. One of the guys was sick so we decided to head er in instead of nailing some lings. Great day...great fishing, nice and calm for a change...and the salmon fishing is UNREAL...gotta love life guys! Jamie...pics from your trip man..pics!! Plus that story! lol

David

HE CAN'T LIFT THEM haha Larry caught both hogs!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCutcheonFishing011.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCutcheonFishing007.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCutcheonFishing004.jpg

Okay, I recognize Kenny Rogers & Eddie Shack; who's the guy in the middle?:lol:

Jamie
07-07-2009, 12:32 AM
DSS.. What is the deal on fishing Salt Water for kids in BC? (Licenses)

I was thinking next summer about taking the whole family.

Thanks
Jamie

Mike_W
07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Ever seen a 15# Yellow Eye?
Jamie

Yep I belive this one went 17-19 lbs
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/PICT0504.jpg

Jamie
07-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Mike.. What a PIG!!!

Nice fish.

Jamie

dss44
07-07-2009, 03:57 PM
DSS.. What is the deal on fishing Salt Water for kids in BC? (Licenses)

I was thinking next summer about taking the whole family.

Thanks
Jamie

I know kids under the age of 16 get free licenses...but still have to pay for the salmon stamp...so pretty cheap as it is free for an annual. How old are your kids Jamie?

elnino54
07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Well the countdown has begun, 73 hrs until we start heading west to the coast, and only one more day of work.................woohoo !!!!!!!!

Just gotta finish the packing....

Outcast
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Here's a few from my past....can't wait till this year.....
I love this...
You boys are making me jealous

dss44
07-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Fishing the past 2 days has been just as good as over the past 2 weeks...limited out both days with 6 Chinook as well as some Coho's thrown in the bunch plus limits of Chicken halibut (15-25lbs). Most Chinook are in the 21-25lbs range...all twins pretty much but holy crap are they spunky...fight like nuts and like much bigger fish. Today largest was 28lbs! Nice fish! Here are some pics...

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCuthcheonandJeff036.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCuthcheonandJeff034.jpg

Calgary Boys
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCuthcheonandJeff043.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/McCuthcheonandJeff040.jpg

Dark
07-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Here is the wifes fish from our June trip to Rupert,
and yes the bugs are bad at Dundas.
Fishing was good lots of small Coho to 10 lbs.
This was the biggest spring the other 4 springs were under 25 lbs.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/Dark66/IMG_2912cropped.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/Dark66/IMG_3021.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/Dark66/IMG_2669.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/Dark66/IMG_2696.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/Dark66/IMG_2694.jpg

Joe Fehr
07-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Going to be in Terrace on the 16th doing the river thing again for a week or so! Be in the Outlaw Lynx 16' with a black top staying at the Wild Duck! Be trying bar fishing and some back trolling.

Looking forward to getting away from the grindstone!

nube
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Typically what month is the best month to go? How big are the coho by the 2nd week in August?

fun , fun, fun

kyute
07-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Here's a few from my past....can't wait till this year.....
I love this...
You boys are making me jealous

Outcast it looks like you were off the mouth of the Qualicum river;)

The Bit Runner.
07-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Well, Spent 6 days fishing on the skenna,The fishing was ok the first 2 days but the last 4 days was pretty slow.A big storm come through Smithers,The bulkley came up a meter,looked like choclate milk.It just totally stopped for 3 days.Heres a few pics of my camping trip and a couple pics of salmon we caught.

This Is the view from my tent every morning
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/IMG_1777.jpg

Here are the falls that were a 5 min boat ride from camp.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/IMG_1754.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/IMG_1753.jpg

Heres a few pics of some Salmon i caught as well as a few nice ones a freind caught.http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/IMG_1722.jpg
My First 30 lb Salmonhttp://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/IMG_1723.jpg
Heres a couple pics of a 45lb and a 47 lbhttp://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/IMG_1749.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/IMG_1773.jpg

I cant wait till next year.

Dark
07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Typically what month is the best month to go? How big are the coho by the 2nd week in August?

fun , fun, fun

We head to BC every summer, Northern BC I think the large runs of chinook are around until the middle of July, than the coho fishing heats up in Aug.
Around the Island I have had my best luck for chinook the last 2 weeks of Aug. thats also when we have caught large coho 20 lbs +.
The QCI seem to be good from June until Aug for chinook. but I have only fished the west side of the Islands

hunt_and_fish
07-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Big congrats on some great fish BitRunner. PM sent.

blackpheasant
07-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Yes Sir Beautiful scenery, Great fish, could it get any better than that, NOT...thanks for posting......:)

6tmile
07-13-2009, 10:12 AM
24 hrs until flight to rivers inlet, gonna catch sum critters:):):):):):):):wave:

blackpheasant
07-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Good Luck Jaymie, may the fish Gods smile down upon you guys....:wave:

magcal4L
07-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Few pictures of a 52 pound chinook caught near Prince Rupert, took over an hour to get him in and around the boat countless times, yea walk arounds

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/wells8u/DSC01184.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/wells8u/DSC01182.jpg

Jamie
07-13-2009, 12:15 PM
24 hrs until flight to rivers inlet, gonna catch sum critters:):):):):):):):wave:

This is what you need to dream of. Can you imagine a 80# Salmon. OMG
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2008103125_outn10.html?syndication=rss

Make sure you also check "Whale" Rock. It forms a eddy as the tide goes in or out. Fish the correct side and you might just end up with a Taxi Bill.

Whale rock is on your right hand side just before OBMG's lodge that is across from Marker 16.
Here is a pic of the fish we woke up and the next boat behind us caught. (My buddy ran the boat directly into whale rock and woke this fish up. His last words before pilling into the rock were "Hey Jamie, look at the pretty red sail boat (CRASH)"
http://www.kingsalmonresort.com/
Its the main pic with the Guy and Gal that have the cut off shirt sleeves, nice people!!

Another place is the "Slide" also close to OBMG lodge.

Good luck, and don’t get discouraged. Your bites may be few and far in-between. But this is the place to catch a HOG!!! Keep your trolling dead slow (About 1.4 Knots). You do not want that line above 45 degrees.

Jamie

Tofinofish
07-13-2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Tourism-Tofino-1015148.html

Dates still available for peak season for Gear or Sal****er Flyfishing.

blackpheasant
07-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Few pictures of a 52 pound chinook caught near Prince Rupert, took over an hour to get him in and around the boat countless times, yea walk arounds

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/wells8u/DSC01184.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/wells8u/DSC01182.jpg

Great Pics, what a PIG...thanks for sharin...:love:

Walleyes
07-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow talk about some great fish people.

All of it is just driving me crazy,,, still have about 3 weeks to go for my run out west...

Thx to all for the pics.

dss44
07-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Last 4 days has been pretty hot. Yesterday Brian Garrett and the Garrett clan limited out with 8 Springs in the boat by 9:15am!!!!!!!!!! :D Day before got into some ncie fish, and day before that limited by 10am.

Today was slower but we still got into lots of fish...but could not keep the hooks in them if our lives depended on it! Going out for big hali's tomorrow. Pics to come later as I forgot my camera and need to get the pictures off their cameras!

dss44
07-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Yesterday, the last day with the Garrett clan, was great fishing. Limited on Chinooks by 10am..then headed out to see if we could find some barn door hali's. Caught crap loads of Yelloweyes, then headed for the barndoors...ended up with a 45 plus the rest of their halibut quota...but lost an absolute monster!! She was peeling line fairly easily...this fish was definitely over the 75lbs and my guess is over the 100lbs mark the way it was peeling with the drag pretty tight..oh well, Josh will get him next year!

Here are some pics from 5 days ago...don't have any from the Garrett trip as my camera dissappeared then reappeared...so I'm sure they will be posting some shortly!

David

Oh ya...big boy!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/TannerandJim09086.jpg

Nice fish...
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/TannerandJim09090.jpg

These aer some big @$$ fish
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/TannerandJim09092.jpg

Oh ya...he got another hog!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/TannerandJim09094.jpg

This is day 2 of the Garrett group's catch...our boat alone....I love putting guys on this much fish!!!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/TannerandJim09118.jpg

dss44
07-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Forgot to add...Brian is a lucky guy!! He was being beaten pretty handedly for biggest salmon of the trip...we decide to make one last pass (they only need one more spring to fill their tags) before we head out for bottomfish....last corner...bam off the downrigger...gets it in, 35lbs, he wins the biggest salmon prize!! A plaque and what not...the guys were ragging him because all of a sudden he became happy as can be...they say he was sulking before as he didn't have it..well for the 2nd year in a row he takes home the prize for biggest salmon...on the last pass none the less...lucky bugger! :D

Jamie
07-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Off first thing in the AM for Hakai Pass.
I am really looking forward to this trip.
Its just me and the wife, no Kids, No cell phones and its her first fishing trip.
We get into Vancouver early tommorow so she gets a whole day shopping and I get to sit on some patio and enjoy the sun and a few cool ones.
Then first thing Friday morning we are off.
Plenty of pics when we come back as Heidi is taking her Camera as well.

Lets hope and pray there is some decent fishing at this time of year.

Jamie

2big4u
07-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Have a great trip. Bring me back coordinates for a couple of hogs.

dss44
07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Here are some pcis of the last week!!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GarrettsFishing034.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GarrettsFishing035.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GarrettsFishing041.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GarrettsFishing044.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GarrettsFishing046.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GarrettsFishing057.jpg

fisher Gord
07-17-2009, 03:55 PM
OKAY that is it I can't stand it no more. I am going back. Sooke and Port Renfrew. the first week of Aug. The first year I fished swiftsure bank, 20-25lbs smilies, chicken halibut with some barndoors every day, the last few years have not been as good but the reports are that it is very good again with trouble getting your plug through the cohos. going to be a long two weeks, and to those who are not infected with the salt bug,do not go, never, stay away Gord

monstermuley
07-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Just got back from our trip with Dave and Serengeti Fishing charter and what a trip we had. As always the guiding, gear and boat was first class. Dave put us on a tonne of fish. As he was saying above we limited out on Salmon and Hali's. Biggest Spring was 35 pounds (by me of coarse......:lol:) and the biggest Hali was 45 pounds but we lost a doozy. Lots of Springs in the mid 20's and a few right at thirty. Weather was great and fish were biting. Here are a few pics.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/monstermuley/Joshyhalibut.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/monstermuley/Snapper.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/monstermuley/Bigsprings.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/monstermuley/8salmon.jpg

nube
07-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Looks like they do well there but for that price I think I can go on 2 trips. We did not catch fish that size but I would rather go twice. Glad you guys had a good trip. I leave in a few weeks and hope that some of those big ones make it down to the Renfrew area by then.

Walleyes
07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Some nice fish monster,, nice to see you guys had a blast..

Thx for the pics and the update.

smokestick
07-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Yes as monstermuley put it , it was deffiently a blast. To anybody that wants a great fishing trip ya deffiently have ta try port hardy and serengeti charters. Everything was great and the charter was first class. Can;t wait ta get back at er with dave and the gang. PS- I'll get ya next time monstermuley- lmao:lol:

Trout Enemy #1
07-19-2009, 03:47 PM
First off sure is some nice fish on here I have been drooling over this thread since posted.

I am headed to doublebay resort on wednesday for 3 days of fishing for Salmon.

I am have dreamed of doing this for 12 years and just have'nt been able to as I had a career to focus on but now I have a small window of oppertunity and I am jumping on it.

Do any of you have any words of wisdom that I might find valuable.

Thank you in advance for any special tactics that one might PM me to help me out.

Cheers all

dss44
07-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Just nailing them...couldn't keep one rod in the water today...yesterday loaded up with 350lbs of bottomfish...could of easily had more as they weren't limited on lingcod but they decided they had had enough of reeling from the bottom :D Fishing is hot hot!! Blackpheasant is here starting on Tuesday! Can't wait :)

deltravers
07-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Just got back from fishing the Skeena and Bulkley rivers by Terrace and Smithers its slow yet for the Chinooks three days of fishing and only two keepers.

blackpheasant
07-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Just got back from Port Hardy after fishing 3 days with Serengetti David, had to where a Canucks Jersey for a day (I lost a bet):( but the fishing made up for that, our limits for Chinooks were completed by 9:00 am each day, we managed 9 Springs over 30 lbs for the trip the largest was 35 lbs the rest were mid to high 20's, bottom fishing was just as good as well, limits on Hallys 20-45 lbs and Lings were 10-30 lbs also a Yelloweye that was close to 20 lbs, David and his father Dave Sr. are real Pro's with top quality gear and great fishing vessels, can't wait to get back there...:)

dss44
07-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Had an absolute blast with you guys out there Larry...look forward to next year and somehow beating that day with 10 chinook, 7 over 30lbs! Plus, bet will be on again this year and that Nucks jersey will be back on again :lol: :D

blackpheasant
07-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Those types of days don't come around very often but I would gladly take another one, and you will be wearing RED for a day the NUCKS only chance was this year....:D

AlbertaAngler
07-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Great pictures guys. They're getting me even more stoked for my first trip to Rupert, We leave Monday. Hopefully our fishing is as good as some of yours. :)

dss44
08-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Still nailing them up here...limits being caught every day...when the bite is on its almost impossible to get 2 rods in the water!! Gotta love it!!! bottomfish are being nailed too...This is getting ridiculous...I wasn't aware fishing could be this good for this long during a season! LOVE IT!!!! :D :D

Walleyes
08-04-2009, 09:42 AM
5 more days and counting. I got the hooks all tied up I even have them in the order that I am going to try them. Got the boat packed, rods are in, down riggers, weights man I hate this time all I do is go sit in the shop and look at my gear am I sick or what,, well don't ask the wife cause I think she is ready to send me to the loonie bin.. I keep going over the fishing reports about 4 times a day just in case there is something changing,, they are still waiting for the big push of Chinook to hit Sooke so hopefully they will show up soon. I think they are just showing up now and with the heavy flood coming in next week it should bring in a good run of them. Apparently the Pinks and Coho are so thick that it's hard to fish,, can't keep any bait in the water..

Well I better go check my boat again maybe it needs a good shine !!!!

Sundancefisher
08-04-2009, 03:00 PM
5 more days and counting. I got the hooks all tied up I even have them in the order that I am going to try them. Got the boat packed, rods are in, down riggers, weights man I hate this time all I do is go sit in the shop and look at my gear am I sick or what,, well don't ask the wife cause I think she is ready to send me to the loonie bin.. I keep going over the fishing reports about 4 times a day just in case there is something changing,, they are still waiting for the big push of Chinook to hit Sooke so hopefully they will show up soon. I think they are just showing up now and with the heavy flood coming in next week it should bring in a good run of them. Apparently the Pinks and Coho are so thick that it's hard to fish,, can't keep any bait in the water..

Well I better go check my boat again maybe it needs a good shine !!!!

I am getting excited too! 28 more days and I am Langara bound. Just looking for a couple more guys to fill the trip. Everywhere has been fishing better this year by the sounds of it.

Walleyes
08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I am getting excited too! 28 more days and I am Langara bound. Just looking for a couple more guys to fill the trip. Everywhere has been fishing better this year by the sounds of it.

Yah you bet Sundance,, the fishing is phenomenal this year. I have been on and off the phone all week with buddies that are out there now and they are all hammering them up and down the coast,, well any where on the outside that is.. Looks like the last couple days are really heating up around the south island as well so its all lookin good.

28 days for you,, you should be right in the heat of some dandy Coho up there about that time.. Make sure you take the camera so we can all enjoy it with yah..

Good luck to you guys ..

dss44
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Damn guys...we have been slaying them...limited out with 6-8 Chinooks almost every day this effing summer....gotta love it...now nailling BIG halibut while salmon fishing too...50+lbs...a lot of fun on the salmon gear. Fishing is stupid good...it's dumb actually...if we don't limit out on Chinook over 23lbs by 9:30am it is a SLOW day!!! Gotta love life!! Blackpheasant and monstermuley have experienced it first hand...can't keep 2 rods down! Nothing like the best salmon fishing on the west coast....love my summer job :D :D :lol: Will post pictures here shortly....

dss44
08-04-2009, 10:22 PM
The HOGS ARE IN!!!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/ElizaandMe002.jpg

WHAT A HOG!!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/ElizaandMe008.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/ElizaandMe010.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GrantBay040.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/GrantBay044.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/MidJuly09Fishing011.jpg

GO CANUCKS!!!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/MidJuly09Fishing027.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/MidJuly09Fishing031.jpg

Enough fish??? :lol:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/MidJuly09Fishing039.jpg

dss44
08-04-2009, 10:25 PM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/MidJuly09Fishing042.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/MidJuly09Fishing044.jpg

These are just for Larry (blackpheasant) ;) :lol: Go Canucks!!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/MidJuly09Fishing014.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/MidJuly09Fishing017.jpg

Blairh
08-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Just got back from the Queen Charlottes, Naden Harbor to be exact. Pretty tough fishing with the weather that had moved in, but still managed to land one that taped out to 43 pounds and another that taped at 34. Still managed to catch close to 80 salmon in one day. The coho were thick so it was difficult to get down to the big springs during the derby.

dss44
08-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Well Guys...I think the pictures speak for themselves...last 3 days limited with 10 Chinook per boat...20 in total...tons of big lings...all over 15lbs...just unreal fishing...the kinda fishing we get up here on most days. Yesterday we had over 1100lbs of fish between the 2 boats... :O In 2 days OUR LAST GROUP TOOK BACK A TON OF FISH (LITERALLY...THE METRIC WEIGHT OF A TON) Every day caught one over 40lbs except for today...biggest was 37lbs. Big boys showing up in hordes though... :D

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing006.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing008.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing010.jpg

MONSTER
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing018.jpg

20 Chinook, 21 Ling, Some snapper and rockfish, and limit of hali's
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing019.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing020.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing021.jpg

HUGEEEEEEEE
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing027.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing028.jpg

dss44
08-08-2009, 12:35 AM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing030.jpg

The girlfriend...hey Brian...now dating her :lol:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing036.jpg

WHAT A FISH...MY GOODNESSSS...HUGEEE
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing039.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/BeginningofAugFishing042.jpg

steve
08-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Well I have been lurking on this post since it was started, lots of great fish on here congrats to everyone.

I'm getting off nightshift in a hour, going home throwing my bag in the truck, picking up my Grandpa and heading to the airport.

We are going for 5 days-living on the boat with Captains Jim's out of Kitimat.

First time on the ocean for me, hopefully will be posting some pics in a week.

fisher Gord
08-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Fished Aug 2 at logan creek out of renfrew,3 anglers, 4 chinook 1 hatchery coho in the boat,32# the largest, some long line releases,1 real close. next day went up to the nitnat,4 anglers first bite after 2 hours of trolling was a double header,mine bite off, the other one weighed 41 1/2 lbs 4hours later. two more double headers,and a couple of single hits.4 30lb fish were all screamers,line peeling aching forearm chase em down fun.the 8 chinook averaged 30lbs. 1 little 20 lber to even out the 40 pictures when I can

Walleyes
08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Fished Aug 2 at logan creek out of renfrew,3 anglers, 4 chinook 1 hatchery coho in the boat,32# the largest, some long line releases,1 real close. next day went up to the nitnat,4 anglers first bite after 2 hours of trolling was a double header,mine bite off, the other one weighed 41 1/2 lbs 4hours later. two more double headers,and a couple of single hits.4 30lb fish were all screamers,line peeling aching forearm chase em down fun.the 8 chinook averaged 30lbs. 1 little 20 lber to even out the 40 pictures when I can

Good report fisher thx for that.. We will be anxiously waiting for the pics..

We are leaving at 3:00 a:m tomorrow morning man am I a pacing..

blackpheasant
08-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Good report fisher thx for that.. We will be anxiously waiting for the pics..

We are leaving at 3:00 a:m tomorrow morning man am I a pacing..

Good Luck and by all reports you should be into LOTS of fish, don't forget to post some pictures when your back.......:wave:

Walleyes
08-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Got back from Sooke on Saturday night from our 4 day trip. I must say that I think we caught more Salmon than I have ever seen caught in 4 days. I would of like to of seen a few more Chinook in we managed 5 over 4 days 1 smaller one in at 12 pounds and the other 4 in at 25, 26, 27 & 28 pounds. The Pinks and Coho were in thick a person honestly got tired of taking fish off the line. It was actually a treat to run the boat and have a break from taking off the fish and rebating. We also managed 3 dandy hatchery Coho to bring home and we released a few dandy wild Coho a couple pushing the 15# mark what awesome fighters these fish are. The weather was very cooperative as well so that always makes for a good trip.

Here are a couple pics from the trip..

Bro inlaws 27#er..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSCF1519.jpg

My 28#er..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSCF1527.jpg

Couple random shots..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSCF1592.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSCF1561.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/DSCF1584.jpg

dss44
08-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Fishing here is sitll UN freaking REAL!! LImited out about 15 days in a row again now...only not limited on Chinook 5 times all year. Most in the 23-32lbs range. Now have a couple spots for Lings and Yelloweye where we will catch 15 Yelloweye and 15 Lingcod in an hr and a half...then limiting on halibut is easy as pie as well. There is no reason each day we shouldn't limit out on everything...literally not allowed to catch another fish! UNreal guys...love it!

Big Coho moving in now...hooked northerns. Caught a 20lbs Coho 3 days ago and everyday at least 2 in the tub weighing in at 16lbs or more. Avg size of Coho now is about 12-14lbs...not a word of a lie...unreal and big. Nice filler...but what is best is the Chinook are at one end of the tach and Coho at the other...so load up on Chinook then move down 200ft and nail the Coho...what a life! Season almost over...it has been the best ever and next year is only supposed to be better for Chinook and just as good for Coho...who is exicted alreadry? Still 10 days left on this one though.

Rigg dogg
08-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Walleye's, Great Pics!!
I mentioned before it's not a jail PIC you are allowed to SMILE. Make it look like you are having a good TIME!! :lol::lol:

Sounds like you guys had a good trip. Did you have your Boy's with you?? Probably out fished the Oldman hey!!

I was going to head back up to SandSpit for some fishing, didn't make it.
A few to many things on the LIST.

Heading up Sturgeon fishing in OCT, might try alittle Salmon as well. Should be a good time.

Anyways Congrat's on the trip, nothing like doing it on your own.

PS: How are those E-Tec's working??????

Hey forgot to ASK, Any HALIBUTTTTT??????????

Sundancefisher
08-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Leaving for Langara Island in the Queen Charlottes in 13 days for 5 days fishing Sept 1-5. I am so pumped. All the great fishing this year hopefully will last another couple of weeks. The Farmer's Almanac is saying Sept 1-4, is supposed to be the best fishing. My fingers are crossed and freezer space available. We have 32 people chartering a direct flight from Calgary to Masset with room for 4 more on the trip. PM me is anyone is interested.

Cheers

Sun

Walleyes
08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Thx Rigg..

To answer some of your questions,, We didn't do any Halibut fishing I like to concentrate on the Salmon this time of year.

And unfortunately nun of the boys made it this year this was a stag trip,, it really takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it when the family isn't there. I told the wife that I won't go back for this trip unless they are there so we will see.

Those E-Tec's are still running smooth as silk. This is season number 4 for them and not the slightest hiccup yet.

steve
08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/sherrittmetals/ling.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/sherrittmetals/gaff.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/sherrittmetals/salmon.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/sherrittmetals/whales.jpg

Walleyes
08-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Some nice lookin fish there Steve.. I would geuss that Hali at about 60# ??

Any details about the fishing..

Thx for the pics..

steve
08-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Some nice lookin fish there Steve.. I would geuss that Hali at about 60# ??

Any details about the fishing..

Thx for the pics..

Thanks Walleyes, we lived on the boat for 5 days out of Kitimat. Limited out on coho's before breakfast the first morning. Caught halibut, lingcod, snapper, that halibut was 58'' and going by the weight graph its supposed to weigh 100 lbs we never did put it on a scale. We ate good and fishing was excellent.

Walleyes
08-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Great stuff Steve..

Thats one heck of a Hali,, they pull like a horse them buggers don't they..

Thx for the details and again for the pics..

dss44
09-21-2009, 04:32 PM
As more and more information comes in about salmon runs, it seems many river systems had record numbers this year...northly rivers are getting more accurate numbers and it seems like the Central Coast numbers (which we fish) are extremelyyyy good...won't know exactly until about november when DFO gives out the approx. return numbers.

Campbell and Quinsum Rivers had record pink numbers...shattering the previous records. This year over 800,000 pinks compared to the previous record of 457,000!!!!.

I believe this is a great indication of how amazing the Chinook and Coho fisheries will be in the upcoming years...as Pink have 2 year cycles, Coho have 3 year, and Chinook have 3-7 year cycles, so the next few years should be phenomonal for them...plus due to 2006 returns of Chinooks and outgoing juvenile Chinook numbers the past couple years (which have been record numbers in many cases) 2010-2013 look to be some unfreaking real fishing....I can't wait!!! Especially with how great the fishing was this year!!!!...It should be even better...which is mind boggling!! :) Yeeehawwww!!

blackpheasant
09-22-2009, 07:11 PM
That's great news David - I would think there will be some monster springs in the mix next year then right ? What's your take on the Fraser Sockeye situation this year that's gotta be a huge concern no ?...

dss44
09-22-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm thinking there will be some doozy's...I know we'll hook into some over 60lbs...just about getting them in the net!!

As for the sockeye it certainly is a weird situation. The run of Sockeye that goes to POrt Alberni was a good run this year...so that leads many to believe that it was isolated to the Fraser run and therefore many to believe fish farms etc etc. However, after doing some reading and research it seems like that wouldn't explain it due to the migration routes of the sockeye as well as other salmon species that are thriving...it is just a very weird situation....DFO really has no clue as to what the heck is going on with the salmon out in the open ocean...and in their defence it is certainly a hard situation to understand.

I'm hoping this is a one year thing...and DFO's predictions are questionable at best...this year the Chinook run was only supposed to be slightly better than last when in fact for many places along the coast, even Campbell River (fish farm central) it was the best year in over 15 years...so who freakin' knows really....I just take it year by year and do my best not to get my hopes up...although the predictions for the next 3-4 years look amazing...so its hard not to...especially with all the juvies heading out to sea this past couple years...let's hope the conditions out there are good for them and they come back in hoards!! :)

blackpheasant
09-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Apparently this an El Nino year hopefully that won't mess things up again, what is the relationship between wild salmon stocks and fish farms or what impact do the fish farms have on wild stocks ??

dss44
10-20-2009, 03:52 PM
So much debate about that now BP...as it seems there were record returns everywhere except southern BC (Fraser, Thompson, Somass etc) and that is where the bulk of the fish farms lay. However, Campbell River and the broughton archipelago have many many fish farms as well and the pink (said to be the salmon most affected by the sea lice) returns to the rivers were 3x the previous records!!! So it is such a tough thing to prove...and therefore why the fish farms still remain in our waters.

However, like I said before, the unreal returns that the US and central coast saw this year is a great sign. The US has done a great job of recovering their lost stocks...and this year, apparently, a lot of the fish we were catching were US bound...again, that is apparently...no idea how you'd prove that but I know the Coho returns to the Columbia are phenomonal.