PDA

View Full Version : No good, dirty, rotten, hook-spitting, line-breaking, hair-pulling whitefish

Brodhead
01-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Well it was a frustrating day chasing Whitefish to say the least.

Started out bright and early at Pigeon Lake in about 6 feet of water and fished there for the first two hours of the day with no luck. I then moved into 3 to 4 feet of water and started seeing several whites come in. Had one big bugger come in and swallow the hook but didn't close his mouth on it so when I went to set the hook it popped right out his mouth up over his nose and along his back as he swam away unscathed.

20 minutes later another big white came in. Same thing. No hook set. Another came in shortly after but missed the hook entirely and didn't turn back around. Nothing else came in after about 11:30 so I packed up and drove to Sylvan for a confidence boost.

Sylvan Lake started out promising as I spotted a White almost immediately after dropping the camera down the hole in about 5 feet of water. I quickly pulled the camera up and dropped my line down and within the minutes had the white coming up and inhaling the hook. Bingo. Done deal. Or so I thought...

Despite using 8 pound fluorocarbon leader attached to a 20 lb braided line he snapped off. The fluorocarbon must have been damaged and I didn't notice it because the break occurred half an inch below the knot attaching the leader...

I decided that today just wasn't my day and called it quits. At least I found some spots to set up my shack that I almost have finished.

On a positive note I just got back from a trip to the Edson / Hinton area chasing perch and trout and was quite successful.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180103/c3535f338b557e7957365b898469826c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180103/4579bb9d3ce6ef015ace45df12a518ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

marlin1
01-03-2018, 05:16 PM
nice trout , brown right?

fishunter77
01-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Great story! Pigeon is hard to get any whites. They are smart.

I have not got one in a few trips and see only a few as well. May have to try deeper for them.

Snap fisher seems to have figured Pigeon out. Sylvan is lots of fun.

the old man
01-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Last winter I decided to try fluorocarbon 6lb leader,instead of 6 lb. Trilene line,and noticed I was not seeing nearly as many fish as my buddies and they seemed to come up close and shy away, I switched back and things went back to normal. We've found in the past that some lines seem to shine in the water and don't work as well.Just my opinion. I don't have a problem with it snapping.Good luck.

SNAPFisher
01-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Tell me about it. That is Pigeon for you. You were that close to having a great day.

I've seen the same thing happen this year as you did on some really big fish but using a small gold spoon. So aggravating!

Nice Brown and Perch!

1bluZebec
01-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Well good job on the brown and perch they are very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pikeman06
01-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Suprised some smart Alec hasn't chimed in about you not tying a proper knot or using proper gear yet.! Trust me brother I feel your pain. I use light gear and lose big whites all the time. Use heavy line and they don't come within ten feet of your hook. You gonna lose your share but if you want a jumbo white it's gonna be on lighter gear 9 times out of ten.