PDA

View Full Version : boat motor question

wcbarker
01-03-2018, 08:17 PM
I have an 18 foot lund Alaskan boat that needs a new motor.
My question is do I get a 60hp and a 9.9 kicker.
Or would 2 30hp work. I do some trolling for walleye with the 50hp Honda I had.
Just wondering about this as I am not that great at matching boats and motors.
Thanx for the info:sign0161::sign0161:

dutchpirate
01-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Most boats should have a placard that specifies both the total weight of motor, passengers, and gear that it's rated to carry, plus the maximum horsepower it's rated for. I would start with that info and build up from there.

Ebrand
01-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Find it.

Put max horsepower on it.

Not illegal to exceed the specs in Canada.

I will never make the mistake I have on my current boat.

Max it out.

EZM
01-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Not sure what you mean by 2 30 HP motors - I assume you meant having 2 main engines?

If that's the question, the answer it's not practical nor is likely to be possible.

Your transom is unlikely to be capable of supporting the weight, or having the clearance (in the transom drop cutout) to sit two larger engines side by side AND steer properly.

The other thing to consider - If it were possible, the props/motors would need to match and the set up would require counter rotation - which isn't available in a 30 HP as far as I know with any manufacturer until you get into higher horsepower models.

Like others have stated, look at the capacity plate and start there. Go with one main engine.

Tandem main power units are for much larger boats.

Many people, including myself, believe you should go with the max HP that the boat is rated for to get the best performance.

Not sure what model you have (I am assuming it's not a tiller since you are inquiring about a tandem engine set up) - so it's likely a SS or Sport.

The Alaskans (new ones anyways) are rated for 90 hp.

Okotokian
01-04-2018, 04:44 PM
I would max the main angine and then get a small kicker. I have a 15 hp kicker and would prefer smaller. The weight of two engines (115 and 15) on the back of my Princecraft 17.5' makes getting up on plane a hassle if I have 4 people in the back of the boat (have to tell a couple to go up front!).

You only need to move a few miles an hour trolling. I'd go 9.9 or even smaller.

TROLLER
01-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Check with the Tracker guys at Bass in Calgary. Last time I was in before Xmas they had a used Merc 90 4 stroke FI with very low hours

sundancedan
01-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Check with the Tracker guys at Bass in Calgary. Last time I was in before Xmas they had a used Merc 90 4 stroke FI with very low hours

They also have some of the best prices for Mercs out there.

fordtruckin
01-05-2018, 08:48 PM

now THAT is surprising to me.

TROLLER
01-07-2018, 11:30 AM

No question they for sure have the best priced Merc, Tracker guy told me they sell from the Cgy. store 5000 Merc motors per year. YIKES

RavYak
01-07-2018, 12:42 PM
As mentioned check your boat specs. I would do the 60 hp(or whatever size you deem proper) and then figure out if you need something for trolling after that. With some of the 4 strokes now you don't even need a kicker because they can troll so slowly as is especially with trolling plates etc. Also can go to an electric instead of a kicker which has advantages and disadvantages.

The Spank
01-07-2018, 01:22 PM
What model of Alaskan? Tiller? Sport? SS? Sport/SS are rated 90HP max, tiller 75. All three recommend 50 minimum. Max out your main if you can afford it and put a 9.9 Pro Kicker, you’ll be happy you did!

oilngas
01-07-2018, 01:39 PM
I have an underpowered boat (bought used), and while it has limitation, I do just fine. BUT if I had it to do again I would follow my own "at least 90% of the max. rating" rule.
For trolling I use an older high thrust bow mounted, remote controlled electric. With that I can slow down to 3/4 mile per hour or up to 1 1/2 miles per hour. But I primarily bounce to find em so that predicates my advice.
So I would not be too picky on primary power, but put some cash into new technology electric troller c/w integral depth sounder and auto pilot, and new technology electronics.

The Spank
01-07-2018, 01:39 PM

Tracker boat packages comprise 50% of Mercury Marines total US production and since Tracker is owned by Bass Pro it’s no contest for Merc pricing through Bass Pro. Their engine prices cannot be beat or matched. I just bought a 9.9 pro kicker from them for $1000 less than their closest competitor and $1900 less than the Tracker dealer I bought my Targa from.

Walleyedude
01-07-2018, 01:51 PM
No question they for sure have the best priced Merc, Tracker guy told me they sell from the Cgy. store 5000 Merc motors per year. YIKES

I don't doubt that Bass Pro sells more Merc outboards in Canada and the USA than anyone else, and probably be a pretty good margin, so their buying power is huge. It's nearly impossible for the local dealers to compete on price, but they definitely compete when it comes to service.

I don't for one second believe Bass Pro sells 5000 Merc motors from the Calgary store per year. I'd be really surprised if there's 5000 Merc motors sold in all of AB in a year.

calgarygringo
01-07-2018, 03:18 PM
There pricing is far superior to especially the small guys. One small dealer who you and I both know especially you told me that he doesn't stock the 9.9 and such because what Bass pro sells it for is less than what his cost is. He said most of the small independents are really ticked but nothing they can do.
So the answer is just don't sell it and hopefully you can get some service out of it.

I don't doubt that Bass Pro sells more Merc outboards in Canada and the USA than anyone else, and probably be a pretty good margin, so their buying power is huge. It's nearly impossible for the local dealers to compete on price, but they definitely compete when it comes to service.

I don't for one second believe Bass Pro sells 5000 Merc motors from the Calgary store per year. I'd be really surprised if there's 5000 Merc motors sold in all of AB in a year.