PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Fire

bhlehr
01-03-2018, 10:48 PM
What’s the policy regarding starting a little fire on the ice for warmth, cooking, etc. I’ve never done it in Alberta, but often see the “remains” on the ice. I was reading about a community ice fishing event today for Wizard Lake, and they mentioned they were planning to have a fire going to roast marshmallows and hot dogs.

Brian

NSR Fisher
01-03-2018, 11:01 PM
bring a propane fueled camp stove & buddy heater and cook on your tail gate or in a large ventilated tent/shack if you want to be warm and have comfort out there.

If you really must have an open fire, like setting up a fire pit on the ice type deal, you best have a way to prove you're not littering. That means don't throw your plastic minnow tubs and timmies cups in there thinking it won't just leave a big melted plastic mess on the ice for everyone to look at and the fish to have to deal with when that crap melts into the lake this spring.

Pretty much if you have any amount of common decency you should be fine. But if CO's are out there they will be looking for evidence of littering and will give you a citation if they can prove your fire pit is littering.

bsmitty27
01-03-2018, 11:55 PM
You don't need to prove your not littering. Just don't litter!
I have no problem with burning wood on the ice. I make sure I take my remains with me but more for respect of others view of the lake, I don't see any issues with if from an environmental aspect. As long as your burning clean wood, not starting with gas and not throwing tons of crap in the fire. (but even then its probably better than running an old leaky 2 stroke on the lake in the summer.)

Everyone loves a fire on the beach! Whats the difference?
Brad

Elk Chaser
01-04-2018, 01:03 AM
I take the lid off an old BBQ and build my fire in that out on the ice, the mess is contained.

hookset
01-04-2018, 08:27 AM
If you got room bring a pit thats elevated off the ground. Not too bad on space as I fill the pit with wood and fishing supplies.

https://i.imgur.com/KnDoCAt.png

Deep
01-04-2018, 08:36 AM
Hehe a wood burning Lawnboy......good one.

owlhoot
01-04-2018, 08:39 AM
If you got room bring a pit thats elevated off the ground. Not too bad on space as I fill the pit with wood and fishing supplies.

That's a clever Idea Hookset

SNAPFisher
01-04-2018, 08:39 AM

That is just nothing but awesome there! Nice work!

bhlehr
01-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the responses. I like the fire pit idea. Another excuse to tell my wife I “need” one for the backyard. 🤠

Brian

TylerThomson
01-04-2018, 09:54 AM
We do family fishing trips a few times a year. Set out the tip ups, light a fire and hang out. The kids have a blast running around and racing to flags and then they got a place to warm up and cook hot dogs. It's a blast have at er.

sns2
01-04-2018, 10:41 AM
You don't need to prove your not littering. Just don't litter!
I have no problem with burning wood on the ice. I make sure I take my remains with me but more for respect of others view of the lake, I don't see any issues with if from an environmental aspect. As long as your burning clean wood, not starting with gas and not throwing tons of crap in the fire. (but even then its probably better than running an old leaky 2 stroke on the lake in the summer.)

Everyone loves a fire on the beach! Whats the difference?
Brad

So true. LOL.

stubblejumper01
01-04-2018, 09:38 PM

Nice firepit. A buddy built one like that a few years ago. Took the washer tub, mounted some old skis from a dead sled he had kicking around and put a hitch on it to pull behind his skidoo. Worked great!

headstrongcraig
01-05-2018, 07:57 AM

I love how your pooch has the best seat in the house! Nice and warm by the fire.:)