PDA

View Full Version : Hiring contractors - electrical

Newf
01-04-2018, 03:04 AM
Hoping the wisdom of AO can help me out here a bit.

I am wanting to add a sub panel and a few outlets (120/220) in my garage and I need to hire an electrician. I’ll admit my electrical knowledge is not that great. So browsing kijiji for electricians, and they all have the “done right - low rates” sales pitch.

I realize I can ask for references, but who is going to provide a bad reference anyway?!?! Just how does a guy a know the guy your hiring is actually qualified to do the work? Dont want an electrical fire and burn the house down!

I could ask for proof of a journeyman certificate... but all trades guys aren’t up to the task.

Any tips on picking an electrical contractor?? I guess I could always pick one of the larger companies and pay higher rates as well...

Or if you can recommend an electrician that services Langdon that would help as well!

Thanks!

AdAMxr
01-04-2018, 06:24 AM
1) tell us where your located
2) pick a few companies that are recommended here by others
3) call those companies and see which are available to do the job
4) make sure they pull a permit! This is an inspection insuring the work is up to code.

AdAMxr
01-04-2018, 06:25 AM
Sorry I missed the part that your in Langdon.

Dick284
01-04-2018, 06:32 AM
First off Kijiji is the last place I'd look for a contractor.

Second, phone a few home builders, and see who they use.

Third, see who's working in town, or see who's pulled permits in town.

bpoppa85
01-04-2018, 06:48 AM
If you go the kijiji route and just get "an electrician" they will need to be a master electrician to pull an electrical permit to do the job.

You can verify they have an active master electrician certificate here:

http://www.safetycodes.ab.ca/ME/Pages/MESearch.aspx

You can enter mine to see what it comes up with when it's a valid certificate.

Johnston

Master doesn't guarantee anything in terms of quality so don't think it's something special. You can just be sure you will get an electrical permit and a safety inspection out of it which I wouldn't do the job without.

WCB and Insurance would be another thing i'd ask about....but that's up to you.

If you go with a legit recognized company you can be pretty sure they have all the above. Quality is another story...there are bad electricians everywhere. Doesn't matter the company. Just keep an eye on them. If their work looks like crap...chances are it is. Electricians who take pride in the aesthetics of their work are generally good. My opinion only.

58thecat
01-04-2018, 06:59 AM
If you go the kijiji route and just get "an electrician" they will need to be a master electrician to pull an electrical permit to do the job.

You can verify they have an active master electrician certificate here:

http://www.safetycodes.ab.ca/ME/Pages/MESearch.aspx

You can enter mine to see what it comes up with when it's a valid certificate.

Johnston

Master doesn't guarantee anything in terms of quality so don't think it's something special. You can just be sure you will get an electrical permit and a safety inspection out of it which I wouldn't do the job without.

WCB and Insurance would be another thing i'd ask about....but that's up to you.

If you go with a legit recognized company you can be pretty sure they have all the above. Quality is another story...there are bad electricians everywhere. Doesn't matter the company. Just keep an eye on them. If their work looks like crap...chances are it is. Electricians who take pride in the aesthetics of their work are generally good. My opinion only.

I like it when they clean up after themselfs too, great work, nice to chat with, arrive when they say they are going to and usually we have something in common bs about...usually fire the BBQ up and treat them to a venison burger etc.

Got a buddy who builds homes and I go with who he recommends after all he depends on them to do quality work which represents his business so if you know of a builder give them a call.
Good luck as I know it can be frustrating...lots of experts out there that don't represent thier trade very well.

mattthegorby
01-04-2018, 07:10 AM
If you do not know enough about electrical to ask them questions that will give you an idea of weather or not they know what they are doing or you do not get reference from someone you trust, go with an established contractor that does not need to advertise on Kijiji.

Good luck!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

mattthegorby
01-04-2018, 07:31 AM
If you do not know enough about electrical to ask them questions that will give you an idea of weather or not they know what they are doing or you do not get reference from someone you trust, go with an established contractor that does not need to advertise on Kijiji.

Good luck!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using TapatalkJust want to add I think there are good tradesmen who advertising on the classifieds because they are between stable jobs, making money on the weekends, or getting a new business going - just that it is a crapshoot. The clients you get from places like Kijiji have a bad rep among tradesmen as well so you only advertise there if you really need to. (not to imply at all that the OP is not a good client)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

densa44
01-04-2018, 07:41 AM
If there is a sticker on the panel saying which electrician put it in, I'd call them first.

This job isn't that hard, make sure that you get a permit. I think Rocky View uses the City of Calgary at least they used to.

Trochu
01-04-2018, 07:45 AM
I'd just ask around, buddies, family, co-workers, etc. and see whos name keeps popping up. I did the exact same thing and ended up using one of my dads friends.