PDA

View Full Version : GMC Trucks -Purchase

tiger woods
01-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Thinking about buying a 2017 SLT. Never bought a GMC before, anyone care to chime in with your experience(s), good or bad?

How did you guys find negotiating with your dealer went, and if you’d be willing to share what you paid, then bonus.

Looking forward to getting into some new wheels, just don’t want to get taken to the wood shed if I can avoid it.

sewerrat
01-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Why GMC, and not Chev, Ford, Nissan Toyota or Dodge. They all have their good and bad things about them.
You will get a lot of different reactions on here so just go buy what you want and what your heart tells ya.

Ice Fishing Maniac
01-04-2018, 01:23 PM
In our fleet, the GM trucks have outperformed the Fords. Our maintenance costs are way higher on Fords. We have GMC and Chev. We get way more miles out of the GMs than the Fords. That's the way we see it.

We have a few newer Ford 150's but we are going to be mostly GM-going CHEV for all new now for fleet. We just bought 4 in late August.

There will be some smoking deals on 2017s GMs. This is the way I would go. Save the $$$ from buying a 2018.

The new 2019's look nice in the Chev model that was released for pictures prior to XMAS.

npbra
01-04-2018, 01:36 PM
I have owned GMC, Chev, Dodge and Ford. GMC has been the best of the bunch, hands down. My current truck its a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 and have not had a problem. NO VISITS to the service department in 5 years.

JDK71
01-04-2018, 01:50 PM
we run about 75 gmc and chev trucks the repairs have been small great work trucks

Big_Willy
01-04-2018, 02:10 PM
I own newer Chevrolet Silverado. Bought new off local dealers lot.

Pretty basic crew cab, V8, 4x4. LS trim level.

No break-downs. No warranty work required. One minor recall for throttle body. I am on my second battery and brakes. I run synthetic oil year-round and change fluids ahead of schedules.

Overall, Chev/GMC 1500s are fantastic if a little dated now.

Major re-design for 2019 model year which we the public will see at the Detroit Auto Show in a couple weeks time. I have read that GM will keep producing the current model into 2019 as value-leaders for commercial fleets.

If I were looking at a 2017 Sierra right now I would say MINIMUM $10K discount off MSRP or I would wait for 2018 model year discounting. Just because...

-Willy

dmac111
01-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Where are you located?

tiger woods
01-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Where are you located?

I'm in central AB, but wouldn't let that stop me from travelling if it made sense.

EZM
01-04-2018, 03:37 PM
I own newer Chevrolet Silverado. Bought new off local dealers lot.

Pretty basic crew cab, V8, 4x4. LS trim level.

No break-downs. No warranty work required. One minor recall for throttle body. I am on my second battery and brakes. I run synthetic oil year-round and change fluids ahead of schedules.

Overall, Chev/GMC 1500s are fantastic if a little dated now.

Major re-design for 2019 model year which we the public will see at the Detroit Auto Show in a couple weeks time. I have read that GM will keep producing the current model into 2019 as value-leaders for commercial fleets.

If I were looking at a 2017 Sierra right now I would say MINIMUM $10K discount off MSRP or I would wait for 2018 model year discounting. Just because...

-Willy

I would suggest getting $10K off is standard practice.

My 2015 SLT 1500 which I recently sold was purchased closer to $15K below MSRP about this time of year. If I recall the sticker was around $60 - drove it out of there for around $45K.

I will say, however, that was probably the best discount I've achieved on a new truck. But I think there a little more room that $10K anyways.

Penner
01-04-2018, 05:00 PM
I bought a 2017 GMC. I ended up negotiating 30% off of the MRSP inclusive of manufacture rebates and I also had $2k of GM points I had to to use up. All of this was in the 30%. Cash deal.

I've had the best experience buying vehicles late summer/early fall. Buying and out going model year as they are trying to clear them for the newer model year. Domestic manufactures offer the most competitive rebates at this time of year from what I've seen and the selection on the car lots are usually still pretty good.

GM will likely have great rebates again this year with the new model design being available for 2019. They will want to move the old models agreesively.

Do your research, shop around, you need to be willing to walk away. I negotiated an initial deal and walked away. Came back a month later and saved $7k more from the originally negotiated price (better manufacture rebate).

As for GM trucks this is now my 3rd GM truck and have just under 600,000km between them all, been bullet proof reliable thus far (knock on wood)!!! I'm getting 11.5km/l right now on the new one (V8 5.3L). They great on fuel and ride super smooth.

wolf308
01-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Buy my gmc and save a bunch of money ..... no tax as well

See add in EE

Justfishin73
01-04-2018, 06:59 PM
That 5.3 L is played out and very outdated

bobinthesky
01-04-2018, 07:20 PM

But it does well in spite of that!

morinj
01-04-2018, 07:26 PM

I just sold my Ecoboost, and probably looking to buy a new one, only because it's towing capability, when it comes to the 5.3 L v8, there is not another tried tested, and proven half ton v8 engine out there! I think that their philosophy is, to not fix, what is not broken!

jstubbs
01-04-2018, 07:47 PM

Tried and true motor.

Justfishin73
01-04-2018, 07:48 PM
After 3 Tundras, switched to an Ecoboost. Love it, although only gets great mileage if you keep your foot out of it.....which I cant seem to....:thinking-006:

trophybook
01-04-2018, 07:59 PM
3 gms over a million kms between them only a tranny and transfer case both being my fault because of bagging it. Had 3 new rams since then all problematic junk.

Sask Bearman
01-04-2018, 08:36 PM
GMC's are a great truck imo. The 5.3 is a rock solid, tried and true motor. Good luck with your purchase.

Duster_80
01-04-2018, 08:37 PM
We run Ford, Chev, and GMC in fleet vehicles. I hadn't drove a GMC/Chev for a while so I decided to give one a shot. The problems that myself and other guys had were the thermostat kicking on and off frequently (needed to be replaced), cracked transmission, stabilitrack was serviced several times, brake vacuum failure. I drove mine to 120,000km which I would say 105-110,00km were highway, and I had all of the above problems with a 2015 Chev.

Chev and GM used to be known for good mileage, comfy seats, and a nice ride. I'm 6'3 250lbs and felt that driving the Chev I sat lower than the Ford, the ride was actually rougher, and the Fords got better mileage.

A lot of other guys switched from Chev/GMC to Ford's and said that they found the seats were also a lot more comfy, and there backs were not sore, and the ground clearance in the Fords was much more. The Chev/GMC's also have small fuel tanks compared to the Fords.

I just got a new 2017 F150 5.0L about 6-8 months ago and I enjoy it much more than the 2015 chev. Seats are much more comfortable, I can see a lot better, the truck sits up higher, and has more ground clearance. Also the Ford has yet to be into the shop with any repairs and I have 53,000kms on it

The 5.0L is much more responsive and has more power than the chev had. Not to mention we compared models/options of the GMC/Chev vs Ford and I believe the sticker price was $6-8000 cheaper on the F150, and considering the F150 is 2 years newer that is fairly substantial.

Bourbon Outdoorsman
01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
I only run GM vehicle's, reason being they are the easiest to work on for the do it yourself mechanic. I think all makes are built pretty good now a days, but sometimes you come across a lemon (doesnt matter on make) GM just always stayed more user friendly

Bourbon Outdoorsman
01-04-2018, 11:25 PM
We run Ford, Chev, and GMC in fleet vehicles. I hadn't drove a GMC/Chev for a while so I decided to give one a shot. The problems that myself and other guys had were the thermostat kicking on and off frequently (needed to be replaced), cracked transmission, stabilitrack was serviced several times, brake vacuum failure. I drove mine to 120,000km which I would say 105-110,00km were highway, and I had all of the above problems with a 2015 Chev.

Chev and GM used to be known for good mileage, comfy seats, and a nice ride. I'm 6'3 250lbs and felt that driving the Chev I sat lower than the Ford, the ride was actually rougher, and the Fords got better mileage.

A lot of other guys switched from Chev/GMC to Ford's and said that they found the seats were also a lot more comfy, and there backs were not sore, and the ground clearance in the Fords was much more. The Chev/GMC's also have small fuel tanks compared to the Fords.

I just got a new 2017 F150 5.0L about 6-8 months ago and I enjoy it much more than the 2015 chev. Seats are much more comfortable, I can see a lot better, the truck sits up higher, and has more ground clearance. Also the Ford has yet to be into the shop with any repairs and I have 53,000kms on it

The 5.0L is much more responsive and has more power than the chev had. Not to mention we compared models/options of the GMC/Chev vs Ford and I believe the sticker price was $6-8000 cheaper on the F150, and considering the F150 is 2 years newer that is fairly substantial.

They're all built pretty good now a days (fan boys will be fan boys) i have a 2008 chevy 2500hd 6.0L vorctec with 305000km. 205000km have been a work truck km's, and I've never had a problem with transmission or engine. Only thing i had to deal with is brakes, shocks and front end. 100% is bassed on how the driver drive's the vehicle.

I have buddies that work for Devon, CNRL, ESSO etc.. and they tried using dodge, ford and GM trucks over the years for fleet vehicles. Seems like every year chevy always wins out. I'm not a fan boy, but i find chevy to be more user friendly, but it's 100% biased on driver and fan boy'ism

wildalberta
01-05-2018, 08:25 AM
the 5.3 isn't really that great of an engine anymore since they went to displacement on demand. the 6.0 HD truck is a much more reliable platform. I work in a CNRL field that has been pretty chev dominant lately and they are starting to try f150's again. I personally own the new style of chev and im not overly happy with it. if I were to do it over again I would go with a f150.

Big Grey Wolf
01-05-2018, 08:28 AM
I was shocked the other day when saw full page add on GM/Chev trucks by dealer in west Edmonton. I could not believe everyone was over $50k, some where at $90K. That is ridiculous, "It is just a pick-up truck" couple years ago they were $20K, now they are all plastic, no chrome. just a bunch of useless electronics!

SamSteele
01-05-2018, 10:56 AM
the 5.3 isn't really that great of an engine anymore since they went to displacement on demand. the 6.0 HD truck is a much more reliable platform. I work in a CNRL field that has been pretty chev dominant lately and they are starting to try f150's again. I personally own the new style of chev and im not overly happy with it. if I were to do it over again I would go with a f150.

My 2009 F-150 has 277,000 kms and is still doing fine. Had to do an intake manifold and a steady bearing. That’s it to date.

I had a 2009 GMC 1500 SLT brand new and had to replace the entire 5.3L engine at 50,000 due to a knock they couldn’t figure out. It was fine after that but made me go to a 2011 Dodge 2500 with the Hemi after that. I couldn’t afford the fuel for it as that unit was thirsty!

I bought the Ford with 118k on it and so far it has been a great truck. Some paint issues on the tailgate and starting to see the odd rust spot on the bottom corners of the cab.

ESOXangler
01-05-2018, 11:16 AM
I was shocked the other day when saw full page add on GM/Chev trucks by dealer in west Edmonton. I could not believe everyone was over $50k, some where at $90K. That is ridiculous, "It is just a pick-up truck" couple years ago they were $20K, now they are all plastic, no chrome. just a bunch of useless electronics!

Lots has changed in 30 Years Doc!

sakogreywolf
01-05-2018, 01:18 PM
I'm going to side with the "had a chev and switched to a ford" camp.

My silverado was a 2014 model. It had a few recalls, also had to have the engine mounts changed (just in time before warranty ran out), engine used oil and the paint chipped if you looked at it wrong.

I now have a 2017 f150 with the 5.0L and couldn't be happier.

wildalberta
01-05-2018, 02:32 PM
I will agree the paint and body on the chev is absolutely brutal. and I also had oil consumption with the factory spec'd water 0w20. I run 5w30 in it now and have no problems.

EZM
01-05-2018, 02:51 PM

I just had to comment as well ..... I think you got an ear full from the other 3-4 guys but .......

The 5.3 is easy on gas, bullet proof reliable, and tows nicely for a half ton. It's not the most powerful, nor the sexiest, but it tried, tested and true.

You also don't have to worry about being a "test pilot" for the new problems related to "new technology" engines.

Let the early generation EcoBoost serve as an outstanding example of this.

My last truck had the 5.3 - it was great - zero issues - sold it at about 100,000km (like I do all my vehicles).

I got a great deal on a F-150 with a 5.0 - and it's pretty much the same - not the newest, sexiest or most powerful, but it's reliable.

The Ford has better ground clearance which is nice for those occasional off road ventures or steep and crappy boat launches.

I did have to lift my GMC which did add to the initial cost of the unit.

I do, however, say that the GMC rode nicer, had better "little things" like cup holders, where the USB/Power ports were placed, the Nav was better and things like that, which do, after all, contribute to the owners preference of owning a Chev/GMC.

bigbuck
01-05-2018, 05:05 PM

I would think it better not have had to go to the shop yet at only 53000kms.

Duster_80
01-05-2018, 08:06 PM
I would think it better not have had to go to the shop yet at only 53000kms.

My Chev was in the shop with one fix, or another every 20,000km. I drove it just about daily 260-400km and of that 250-350km were on the highway. Maybe it was just a lemon, but on average we notice the chevs are in the shop more often

Duster_80
01-05-2018, 08:10 PM
They're all built pretty good now a days (fan boys will be fan boys) i have a 2008 chevy 2500hd 6.0L vorctec with 305000km. 205000km have been a work truck km's, and I've never had a problem with transmission or engine. Only thing i had to deal with is brakes, shocks and front end. 100% is bassed on how the driver drive's the vehicle.

I have buddies that work for Devon, CNRL, ESSO etc.. and they tried using dodge, ford and GM trucks over the years for fleet vehicles. Seems like every year chevy always wins out. I'm not a fan boy, but i find chevy to be more user friendly, but it's 100% biased on driver and fan boy'ism

Just sharing my experience, and what we've seen running Chev/GMC and Ford. I'm not biased one way or another, I've typically alternated between chev, ford and dodge. Currently have a ford, and a dodge and both have had their ups and downs.

titegroup
01-05-2018, 09:27 PM
Why GMC, and not Chev, Ford, Nissan Toyota or Dodge. They all have their good and bad things about them.
You will get a lot of different reactions on here so just go buy what you want and what your heart tells ya.

Yes , good point. I've had domestics as most everyone has. Then I found a 2012 Titan / crew/ SV 4x4, one owner this year with only 28,000mi. YES, it's a bit tough on fuel as probably everyone on here will harp about, BUT-- other than that, this is one great truck. Compared to the domestics I've had , build quality is definitely above par+ awesome power, great motor & trans, nice close ratio gears in the trans, --only looses 200rpm between gear shifts, well thought out-- so what if it's a little dated, its the best truck I've owned to date & I've had my share.--- just my input.--Cheers.