PDA

View Full Version : What the NDP is costing you in 2018 thread

Sundancefisher
01-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Well...$600-1000/year increase in Natural Gas heating bills in 2018 is going up due to carbon tax. That has been blogged about for a while now. That is fairly significant for many.

Now expect electricity prices to start spiking up. NDP is trying to prop up wind and solar higher pricing by driving out low cost coal plants and saddling coal and natural gas power plants with excessive carbon taxes. Those prices get passed along to the consumer.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/varcoe-alberta-power-prices-and-consumer-surcharge-heading-higher.

This is on top of anyone affected by the personal income taxes and small business owners with higher minimum wage increases.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-04-2018, 04:25 PM
I make too much money to qualify for the rebates.

Your Welcome.

2 Tollers
01-04-2018, 04:25 PM
When operational costs to business go up (energy and labour) the only choices they have are to pass them on with increases on the product sold or close the doors.

On Monday I was picking up paint to do some touch up in the house and it had gone up noticeably from the last purchase which was a year ago. I commented on this and the response was their operating costs have gone up and they needed to pass this on.

Even if you qualify for a rebate the value of the rebate would never cover off all the ancillary increases that will be added on.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-04-2018, 04:30 PM
When operational costs to business go up (energy and labour) the only choices they have are to pass them on with increases on the product sold or close the doors.

On Monday I was picking up paint to do some touch up in the house and it had gone up noticeably from the last purchase which was a year ago. I commented on this and the response was their operating costs have gone up and they needed to pass this on.

Even if you qualify for a rebate the value of the rebate would never cover off all the ancillary increases that will be added on.

That is the biggest offset of this BS.

No one benefits when the price of everything goes up.

ESOXangler
01-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Out of curiousity where is the anger at the PCs from the price increases since privatization. Competition was suppose to lower prices. Where’s the anger at the small fine Transalta received when they fakes an outage to bump prices. That’s basic theft. Why am I suppose to pay for their maintenance and transmission costs on top of usage?
That carbon tax was coming whether it was Wildrose or NDP. Even the conservative hero Wall up’d the PST in Saskabush.
Let’s remove the party from these complaints and just refer to it as what it is. Political BS.

260 Rem
01-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Given the thread title, I was surprised to read that the average pool price of power is still less than 1/2 of what it was pre-recession and about 1/3 of what it was in 2013. What year did the NDP get elected again? The article suggests we have been the beneficiaries of low prices that accompanied the downturn. Thanks for posting the link, nice to have the full story.

Sundancefisher
01-04-2018, 05:19 PM
I make too much money to qualify for the rebates.

Your Welcome.

When the NDP report rebate household numbers they are counting adult children living at home. The parents get no rebates.

Sundancefisher
01-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Out of curiousity where is the anger at the PCs from the price increases since privatization. Competition was suppose to lower prices. Where’s the anger at the small fine Transalta received when they fakes an outage to bump prices. That’s basic theft. Why am I suppose to pay for their maintenance and transmission costs on top of usage?
That carbon tax was coming whether it was Wildrose or NDP. Even the conservative hero Wall up’d the PST in Saskabush.
Let’s remove the party from these complaints and just refer to it as what it is. Political BS.

Not sure I understand. If a company pays to put in a pipeline to deliver natural gas to your home is it not fair for them to make a fair profit for spending the capital?

While I agree that politician are often the same in respect...arguing the Wildrose, PC or now united conservatives would implement a carbon tax can’t be further from the truth.

If you meant they would fight but Trudeau liberals would of rammed it down Albertans throats I would have to agree.

A fight would ensue however we would of played off the leverage to agree to a carbon tax once pipelines are built to offset continued losses.

JohninAB
01-04-2018, 05:41 PM
The NDP is costing me real money with their carbon tax on my fuel purchases. They are costing me money with their reckless spending and subsequent debt and debt servicing costs which have gone up with the continuous downgrading of our credit rating. NDP is costing me recreational opportunities with their allowing indigenous peoples who have no treaty right to hunt here, as supported by case law, to hunt here freely. NDP is costing me money to heat my home with their carbon tax. NDP is costing me money with increased income taxes.

Yeah NDP!

79ford
01-04-2018, 05:42 PM
Sooooo...

My 120$ nat gas heating bill went up 9$ or something per month, 75$ of those charges are delivering the gas. On the home heating i am about 8 times more peeved about those charges

2% extra on the income taxes, probably 3000$

Gas tax, probably 200$ year on the 3000liters.

Kind of a nickel n dimer.

But like esoxangler was saying.....the government prior was completely cool with the previous carbon tax on heavy emitters, the 28 cents per liter already on gasoline/diesel, taxing your income, you have to pay land taxes on land you 'own'....but only the only top six inches of that land is yours.

Power in alberta is the cheapest in the country.... not sure why people complain about that, my bills average 3-5 cents, too bad i get hosed for about 50$ in delivery fees etc.

Coal cant make money with nat gas at <6$, just not competitive thats why you see the nat gas generation in alberta approaching 40%. Suncor is taking down their coke boilers and building 700 megs of gas cogeneration so a few coal burners going down is no issue for supply just on suncors projects.

Most of the coal in alberta is old and dilapidated....sundance is done, battle river is toast, milner cant make money without 40$+ power. Coal plants sound kinda lousy to work in too.

I would be curious why government adds more taxes and more rules all the time, this has been going on for 100's of years, why does one particular government get credit for being taxy and spendy plus legislative?

ETOWNCANUCK
01-04-2018, 05:46 PM
When the NDP report rebate household numbers they are counting adult children living at home. The parents get no rebates.

I am single without children and make over $50 K

roughneckin
01-04-2018, 06:17 PM
I am single without children and make over $50 K

You should try and make less than. If you could get under $47k you could save a bundle on getting that carbon rebate!!

coreya3212
01-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Sooooo...

My 120$ nat gas heating bill went up 9$ or something per month, 75$ of those charges are delivering the gas. On the home heating i am about 8 times more peeved about those charges

2% extra on the income taxes, probably 3000$

Gas tax, probably 200$ year on the 3000liters.
I
Kind of a nickel n dimer.

But like esoxangler was saying.....the government prior was completely cool with the previous carbon tax on heavy emitters, the 28 cents per liter already on gasoline/diesel, taxing your income, you have to pay land taxes on land you 'own'....but only the only top six inches of that land is yours.

Power in alberta is the cheapest in the country.... not sure why people complain about that, my bills average 3-5 cents, too bad i get hosed for about 50$ in delivery fees etc.

Coal cant make money with nat gas at <6$, just not competitive thats why you see the nat gas generation in alberta approaching 40%. Suncor is taking down their coke boilers and building 700 megs of gas cogeneration so a few coal burners going down is no issue for supply just on suncors projects.

Most of the coal in alberta is old and dilapidated....sundance is done, battle river is toast, milner cant make money without 40$+ power. Coal plants sound kinda lousy to work in too.

I would be curious why government adds more taxes and more rules all the time, this has been going on for 100's of years, why does one particular government get credit for being taxy and spendy plus legislative?.

Send me a cheque. As long as they are my nickels and my dimes, I will treat them as such.

And as an aside, it adds insult to injury when those who voted NDP are now complaining. It's not like you weren't told. And those who voted for this and are defending it, carry on, you are what we always thought you were. No change.

Happy new year.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-04-2018, 06:33 PM
You should try and make less than. If you could get under $47k you could save a bundle on getting that carbon rebate!!

I don't think anyone should get a rebate

gman1978
01-04-2018, 06:36 PM
NDP should make this tax optional. If you voted for them you pay if you didn’t vote for them you don’t have to pay. Simple. The NDP voters can give their money away and at the same time feel like they are saving the environment. Does anybody on here actually think a carbon tax is a good thing???

roughneckin
01-04-2018, 06:41 PM
NDP should make this tax optional. If you voted for them you pay if you didn’t vote for them you don’t have to pay. Simple. The NDP voters can give their money away and at the same time feel like they are saving the environment. Does anybody on here actually think a carbon tax is a good thing???

It is optional. All you have to do is not burn carbon in your vehicle or your home.
:)

michaelmicallef
01-04-2018, 07:23 PM
I've got something wrong with my gut and have been farting like crazy I am guilty of adding green house gasses to the planet. How much should I pay?

wolf308
01-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Going broke here with notley posters and match grade ammo, not sure though but I handload so the cost is lower :)

Busywyzy
01-04-2018, 08:00 PM
The ridiculous part of the whole carbon tax is the argument about making choices and taxing people who chose to drive and not take public transit etc. etc.
We have no choices to heat our houses when it's -35C! It's just another screw tax to get people's money. NDP... Notley Destroys Province.

bobtodrick
01-04-2018, 08:34 PM
Well...$600-1000/year increase in Natural Gas heating bills in 2018 is going up due to carbon tax. That has been blogged about for a while now. That is fairly significant for many.

Now expect electricity prices to start spiking up. NDP is trying to prop up wind and solar higher pricing by driving out low cost coal plants and saddling coal and natural gas power plants with excessive carbon taxes. Those prices get passed along to the consumer.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/varcoe-alberta-power-prices-and-consumer-surcharge-heading-higher.

This is on top of anyone affected by the personal income taxes and small business owners with higher minimum wage increases.

Not that I agree with the tax...but your figures not represent what the average household/person will be paying https://globalnews.ca/news/3940812/alberta-carbon-tax-increase-2018/

hal53
01-04-2018, 08:36 PM
Not that I agree with the tax...but your figures not represent what the average household/person will be paying https://globalnews.ca/news/3940812/alberta-carbon-tax-increase-2018/
Good ol' Global News...Canada's version of CNN

Spooner
01-04-2018, 08:37 PM
You guys must love high blood pressure after work.

Flatlandliver
01-04-2018, 08:41 PM
The ridiculous part of the whole carbon tax is the argument about making choices and taxing people who chose to drive and not take public transit etc. etc.
We have no choices to heat our houses when it's -35C! It's just another screw tax to get people's money. NDP... Notley Destroys Province.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-carbon-tax-2018-1.4444573

Maybe a little less torches lit and pitchforks sharpened with this take on it. Remember the carbon tax was mandated federally to help meet international commitments on carbon pollution reduction. Pretty sure something would be in place regardless of who is in power.

“The increased tax on natural gas might be more obvious to a homeowner, Tombe said. An added 50 cents per GJ of natural gas adds up to five dollars per month for the average household that uses 10 GJ.”

“About one-third of households will receive a rebate larger than their carbon tax costs. Another one-third will will receive one that offsets most of the extra costs, and one-third of Albertans will not qualify for rebates.”

Even with my Forest Lawn math that doesn’t add up to $600-$1000/yr

79ford
01-04-2018, 08:47 PM

Send me a cheque. As long as they are my nickels and my dimes, I will treat them as such.

And as an aside, it adds insult to injury when those who voted NDP are now complaining. It's not like you weren't told. And those who voted for this and are defending it, carry on, you are what we always thought you were. No change.

Happy new year.

I think the ndp is the first government to actually come out and put some serious effort into attracting some new refining and petrochemical production. Something every albertan i have met complains about.

Probably the only government to acknowledge the economy should have some diversification.

The great thing about ol Notley is she is doing more or less what she said she would do. Ever get that out of a politcian? Lol

I know some people get their panties in a twist about one government or another but it is usually just a few years normally for each monkey in office

John d
01-04-2018, 08:54 PM
NDP should make this tax optional. If you voted for them you pay and if voted liberal you pay x2

recce43
01-04-2018, 09:04 PM
our large trucking in Alberta last year paid 200000 dollars in carbon tax on fuel to offset this job killing tax we had to pass the cost on to our customers.
well almost everthing in Alberta moves by truck .
so these customers pass on the cost to you and me .
everthing goes up

tranq78
01-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Given the thread title, I was surprised to read that the average pool price of power is still less than 1/2 of what it was pre-recession and about 1/3 of what it was in 2013. What year did the NDP get elected again? The article suggests we have been the beneficiaries of low prices that accompanied the downturn. Thanks for posting the link, nice to have the full story.

Electricity prices have been extremely cheap as supply was much greater than demand. But in the end we will not benefit from this at all.

The reason is the power producers had 20 year contracts to supply electricity at a fixed price. In the past few years the power contracts were unprofitable to some big electricity producers. But the imposition of a carbon levy to make these contracts even more unprofitable triggered a clause where the producers could put the value of unprofitable contracts back to the government.

No private enterprise is going to enter into a 20 year contract with a government without some assurance the government won't try to pull a fast one.

“The real story here is the Balancing Pool expects to have a need to cover off over $2 billion worth of losses over the remaining life of the PPAs”

So there is now $2 billion (and growing rapidly) of off-book debt in a crown entity, the Balancing Pool.

The interest and debt repayments on $2 billion is going to be dealt with by increasing surcharges on everyone's utility bill, so any benefit from low power prices we had will be wiped out.

"Beginning in January, the monthly consumer charge for 2018 has been set at $3.10 per MW-h, nearly triple last year’s amount. Over the course of the year, the Balancing Pool will collect about $190 million."

If the government had not imposed the carbon tax, the power producers would be eating their losses instead of making us pay $2 billion (and counting) for it.

Nobody in the government asked me about this, but if they did in 2016 I would have pointed out the contracts expire in 2020. All the government had to do is announce that the contracts would not be renewed and a carbon tax immediately imposed a day after the contracts expired. It would have timed very neatly with the next provincial election, satisfied the political agenda of the government, and ordinary people like you and me would not be saddled with $2 billion of additional debt nobody in the government wants to talk about.

To make things stranger one branch of the Gov of AB is suing another branch of the Gov of AB over this. The province is suing the province. You can't make this stuff up.

Sundancefisher
01-04-2018, 09:40 PM

Those are NDP figures. Need to find the unbiased report. Also the household number is misleading as mentioned they take into account kids living at home as household. Parents don't get the rebate. Kids making enough income to turn in tax forms get refunds yet don't pay for the gas.

There cherry picking low numbers for the average. In Alberta. It's homes won't receive rebates.

We had best hope for global warming now since heating our homes which is a necessity will cost way more during cold snaps.

Twisted Canuck
01-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Y'all quit complaining now. The carbon tax is gonna save the planet. David Suzuki said so.

sns2
01-04-2018, 10:15 PM

Happy new year.

Exactly the reason political threads are not allowed. Grownups cannot act like grownups.