PDA

View Full Version : Any experienced F150 5.0 V8 mechanics on AOF?

Arrowhead
01-04-2018, 10:53 PM
I've got a question about a knocking noise on my 5.0 F150 at idle. F150 forums I've visited largely conclude this is "normal". I'd like to talk to an experienced F150 5.0 mechanic if someone is willing to do so. PM me!

gunnargsd
01-05-2018, 10:51 AM
I have a 5.0 and it does not knock, never has. What year is your truck and why are they saying it's normal? Sorry i'm not an experienced 5.0 tech.

reddeerguy2015
01-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Knock or a "tick" ?

223MB
01-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Ticking is pretty normal, a knock could be your timing chain.

elkdump
01-05-2018, 12:33 PM
The 5.0 ford V8 is prone to crankshaft thrust bearing issues, ( the bearing that keeps the crankshaft from moving forward or backward ) has been an issue for 5.0 V8 owners of recent years, in many cases if the truck is stopped and engine ON at idle, facing down hill or slightly up hill a noticeable bottom end KNOCK is obvious to the average person's hearing, Also when comming to a stop or stating off with moderate acceleration , there is an audible hollow knocking from the engine compartment,

There are a multitude of lawsuits going on against Ford for this very issue,

There is no easy or cheap, fix,

NEW engine is solution when knocking becomes unbearable or complete catastrophic failure results,

There you go,

Just google 5.0 Frod V8 engine knock and 5.0 Ford engine issues and lawsuits,

Lots to read, all dissappionting,,,,,

hogie
01-05-2018, 01:20 PM
The 5.0 ford V8 is prone to crankshaft thrust bearing issues, ( the bearing that keeps the crankshaft from moving forward or backward ) has been an issue for 5.0 V8 owners of recent years, in many cases if the truck is stopped and engine ON at idle, facing down hill or slightly up hill a noticeable bottom end KNOCK is obvious to the average person's hearing, Also when comming to a stop or stating off with moderate acceleration , there is an audible hollow knocking from the engine compartment,

There are a multitude of lawsuits going on against Ford for this very issue,

There is no easy or cheap, fix,

NEW engine is solution when knocking becomes unbearable or complete catastrophic failure results,

There you go,

Just google 5.0 Frod V8 engine knock and 5.0 Ford engine issues and lawsuits,

Lots to read, all dissappionting,,,,,

My Google skills must he bad. I just tried to find all these lawsuits and info about this and nothing really stood out.

Found info on a TSB for knock caused by a.c. belt compressor issue.

Have had issues with the early ones with one of the cylinders not machined proper. Valves wearing on high millage or lots of idiling vehicles causing cold miss.

I'm a Ford tech and not having people complaing about knocking from these engines.

Not saying it can't happen but I would think we would see more of it coming through the door. We deal with a few companies that use these engines and put high k on them .