PDA

View Full Version : Cuba. What not to do?

Termender
01-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Looking at going to Cuba, and staying at an AirBnB.

We've had one acquaintance who has done that and advised not to eat any fish (apparently many have worms), nor to drink anything made with their water. This is the first time I have heard these cautions, but I have not been there.

Has anyone been outside of the resorts and can advise on these or any other things not to do or to watch out for?

Thanks for any comments.

kingrat
01-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Bottled water for sure

coastalhunter
01-05-2018, 09:30 AM
MasterCard doesn't work there.

elkhunter11
01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
Purchase a phone plan in advance, and hopefully you don't depend on the internet, as service is not great. Carry toilet paper with you, as the public toilets where we were, didn't have seats, let alone paper. If you go on any tours, be prepared to be bombarded with propaganda.

Battle Rat
01-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Wear an American flag

sns2
01-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Get arrested

IR_mike
01-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Go in the first place.
Why put money into a repressive communist hold out ran by a dictator.

Husty
01-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Never really ran into trouble there. Lots of fun. Dont drink tap water, i did due to the bartender telling me it was safe and had an anal exorcism for about a day. Didnt have an issue with the food. As long as the meat is cooked you should be good.

Dont have to worry about locals trying to rob or jump you as the government has severe punshment for that. I did not like Havana lots of povertly like elsewhere in the Caribbean once you get off the main roads.

Check to see of your vacconations are up to date and have fun.

tacomama
01-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Been in Cuba 5 times. Love it.

Very safe, you don't have to worry about crime much as the law and punishments are severe. Friendly people and so what that's its communist?
When you travel there, you still support the economy and the people earn wages, and tips.

Always stayed in all-inclusives. We do have some acquaintances there though that are locals and we visited them in their home in the country side and they are super nice. Would be best if you drink bottled water and of course the food should be thoroughly cooked.

In my opinion, I would not do an Air BnB unless I was fully equipped to do so and could do my own cooking. The other thing is that you may not get all the food and supplies you might need in their grocery stores as some things are still hard to come by. An all inclusive is the way to go. You can always rent a car a go for trips outside the resorts, but at least you have a great hotel room and meal service waiting when you come back at night.

Places we visited: Varadero x3, Holguin x2, Havana x1

Jayhad
01-05-2018, 12:37 PM
If you are doing an AirBnB in Cuba, good luck.. I've been there over a dozen times, its my favorite destination. That said the accommodations and food will make or break your trip. Doing a BnB is something I would never do in Cuba....
I've eaten a ton of fish in Cuba, if its cooked it shouldn't be an issue, I've eaten sushi and chavechi(sp) a few times and never had an issue. Our local trout are crawling with worms.

Once again doing a BnB is something I would never do in Cuba....

sewerrat
01-05-2018, 01:35 PM
I would do an air b n B in a heartbeat, before you go take Dukarol for the squirts you might get.

Also check out trip advisor, it will tell you what are goo places to eat and where to avoid, tons of info.

Ranger CS
01-05-2018, 01:54 PM
If you are doing an AirBnB in Cuba, good luck.. I've been there over a dozen times, its my favorite destination. That said the accommodations and food will make or break your trip. Doing a BnB is something I would never do in Cuba....
I've eaten a ton of fish in Cuba, if its cooked it shouldn't be an issue, I've eaten sushi and chavechi(sp) a few times and never had an issue. Our local trout are crawling with worms.

Once again doing a BnB is something I would never do in Cuba....

Going again in April, this will be time number 15, always really enjoy it.
I would not do a BnB either, go all inclusive unless you have good information regarding where you will be staying. Tried a recommended BnB once and will never do that again. You will be safe there, bottled water only, when outside of a reputable resort. Have fun:)

Looper
01-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Don't - Buy cigars on the beach

Do - Take a 50's something convertible taxi to Havana and see the sights

Do - Eat Cuban beans and rice!

Do - Rent a scooter and go wherever the heck you want

Do - Eat some Spiny Lobster - cheap and delicious

Do - drink water from a bottle....even brush your teeth with it.

Looper

Gray Wolf
01-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Cuba. What Not to do?

Say bad things about their communist government. :acigar:

Bellero
01-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Go in the first place.

This

tacomama
01-05-2018, 04:19 PM
This

Go in the first place.

http://www.thatonerule.com/rules/1788.png

landowner
01-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Don’t scuba dive , Cuba has no safety standards , no PADI or equivalent

tacomama
01-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Don’t scuba dive , Cuba has no safety standards , no PADI or equivalent

Yes they do actually. Been there done that. Padi, at least the resort we were at. I have heard way more diving and snorkelling horror stories out of Mexico....

landowner
01-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Yes they do actually. Been there done that. Padi, at least the resort we were at. I have heard way more diving and snorkelling horror stories out of Mexico....

I stand corrected 😁, still don't think I would dive there either

IR_mike
01-05-2018, 06:03 PM
http://www.thatonerule.com/rules/1788.png

But you might have to look in a mirror.

Rule #1 on what you do in life.

densa44
01-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Their beer is made with Canadian Barley, if you care. There is a vigorous black market by the younger Cubans. They know that Communism doesn't work Russian gave it the best shot any country could. They say when the last of the old revolutionaries die off it will change. That could happen any day.

They have a very good health and education system. A good army I'm told but you never see it.

I take as many $1.00 US bills and I can get my hands on and when I shake hands I have one in my palm and slip it to the employee. It works great. The key is only you and the person that you are giving it to, know that money changed hands.

Speak a little Spanish, it helps; Cerveza Frais Por Favor. I took lessons at the resort.

gitrdun
01-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Wear an American flag

Nope, wear a Canadian flag. But actually a better option would be to visit some of the Canadian places where you've never been too. The Yukon, PEI, Newfoundland, etc. comes to mind. Our beautiful country has much to offer. :)

Dewey Cox
01-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Nope, wear a Canadian flag. But actually a better option would be to visit some of the Canadian places where you've never been too. The Yukon, PEI, Newfoundland, etc. comes to mind. Our beautiful country has much to offer. :)

It's way too expensive to travel in this country.

fordtruckin
01-05-2018, 08:30 PM

So go take advantage of poor third world communist countries, you capitalist pigs....:bad_boys_20: (j/k)

ward
01-05-2018, 08:45 PM

?

Bub
01-05-2018, 09:04 PM
It could definitely cost me less to go to Cuba for a week and eat nd drink all I can included in that price than going to any eastern province. A trip up north could end up costing just as much. Most of the food on the way to Alaska, for example, was overpriced garbage until we crossed the border (there is a restaurant at Tok, Jebus... just amazing; can’t remember the name).

Ronji
01-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Why bother looking for things to do in Cuba, why bother traveling to a communist country at all? Travel Canada, support our own tourist industry here.

Bub
01-05-2018, 09:12 PM
When I can hit a beach at +30 in January in Canada, I will do just that.

grouse_hunter
01-05-2018, 09:18 PM
You could always ask if the Cubans think that JT is Castros' son.

HVA7mm
01-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Maybe instead of Air BnB try a casa particular. Like a bed&breakfast/guesthouse. It's a chance for one of the local families to have a small shot at capitalism and meeting new people, while offering the person staying there a chance to learn about the history and of life in Cuba. Nearly all Cubans are very well educated and fiercely proud of their country.
I have done an all inclusive vacation there as well as rented an apartment just off of a resort. I definitely preferred the apartment, as I have found that it doesn't matter what country I have been to, all of the all inclusive resorts I have been to are essentially the same. Getting away from the resorts, we had a chance to try the local food (trust me, waayyy better than the resorts), as well as see more than just the beach, line-ups at the buffet and drunks around the bar/pool.
The next time in Cuba I will be staying at a casa particular.
As for the original question "what not to do in Cuba", just don't be an jerk or do anything that is illegal and you shouldn't have any issues.

Bub
01-05-2018, 09:24 PM
I have only been to Cuba only once. Preferred it to Dominican in everything but food in all-inclusive.
My very good friend went there by himself quite a few times. He used to pay for an all-inclusive resort and then never really spending any time there. He would just go out, meet some locals and hang out and live with them for a week or two, whatever long his vacation was. Later he ended up just buying plane tickets instead of resort package. He would live with the locals, eat with them, drink with them, etc. I didn’t ask, but I am pretty sure he drank bottle water, though who knows. He never had any problems with anything. I should mention that my friend is Russian though. From what I saw and heard, Russians are treated better there than most others.

Bub
01-05-2018, 09:25 PM
You could always ask if the Cubans think that JT is Castros' son.
Lol. That’s good.

lmtada
01-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Don't - Buy cigars on the beach

Do - Take a 50's something convertible taxi to Havana and see the sights

Do - Eat Cuban beans and rice!

Do - Rent a scooter and go wherever the heck you want

Do - Eat some Spiny Lobster - cheap and delicious

Do - drink water from a bottle....even brush your teeth with it.

Looper

Cuban traded box of cigars for my Nike shoes on the beach. We were both happy with our trades.

lmtada
01-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Sounds like Drunkie Drunkerson. I met him on the beach, was from Edmonton. Brought one of those seven eleven 1 gallon keg mugs. Staff were paid a little extra to keep the rhum flowing for the week. They even carried him to his room daily :sHa_shakeshout:

I have only been to Cuba only once. Preferred it to Dominican in everything but food in all-inclusive.
My very good friend went there by himself quite a few times. He used to pay for an all-inclusive resort and then never really spending any time there. He would just go out, meet some locals and hang out and live with them for a week or two, whatever long his vacation was. Later he ended up just buying plane tickets instead of resort package. He would live with the locals, eat with them, drink with them, etc. I didn’t ask, but I am pretty sure he drank bottle water, though who knows. He never had any problems with anything. I should mention that my friend is Russian though. From what I saw and heard, Russians are treated better there than most others.

Bub
01-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Cuban traded box of cigars for my Nike shoes on the beach. We were both happy with our trades.
I bought a box of cigars on the beach and I was not happy at all. I think I still have them somewhere, which reminds I should throw them out when I see them next time.

Sounds like Drunkie Drunkerson. I met him on the beach, was from Edmonton. Brought one of those seven eleven 1 gallon keg mugs. Staff were paid a little extra to keep the rhum flowing for the week. They even carried him to his room daily :sHa_shakeshout:
:lol:
The guy likes his drink, but it's not his hobby. Just the most outgoing person I know. I am sure he drank more than he should have with the Cubans an evening or two. Also, the dude has more friends and knows more people than anyone I know.

KGB
01-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Been there once three years ago. We did stay at the 5 star resort and it was a ok. We did take a private 1950 Chevy cab to the Havana with a private guide and it was the highlight of the trip. The rest is meh... wouldn’t go back. There are better places to spend money.
The guy that I know - who is 40 years old and single, speaks fluent Spanish goes there every year to party.... him and his buddies rent a house and then meet local girls who are - let’s say - easy going...

Bub
01-05-2018, 10:36 PM
I agree with the fact that there are better places to spend money. I am not the resort type of person at all, so that is not my type of vacation. I actually prefer packing the backpack and hitting Hawaii. Tenting for a week or two with a couple of nights in a hotel in between, if that. That's more of my thing. Comes to be a little more expensive than a regular 4-5-star all-inclusive, but we enjoy it quite a bit more.

Also, to those who complain about the communism and poor in Cuba, should step out of their resort and hit the villages in Dominican Republic or Haiti. Ain't no communism there. It's paradise, really :sHa_sarcasticlol:
If you are looking to spend some time out of the resort among real people, Cuba is the destination to go (between the places I mentioned).

1bowhunter12
01-06-2018, 07:44 AM
We went deep sea drinking there once ...it was quite the experience ... our captain got so drunk we had to drive the boat back to the harbour ...we may have talked him into having a drink or to.. whoops .. lol he was passed out so we just parked the boat and left .. didn’t catch anything either lol

58thecat
01-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Go in the first place.

Man I tell ya Cuba is just a great time, been there many times and really enjoy the people, the shore fishing,the snorkling, the culture etc. Never had any issues at all but as indicated have a roll of toilet paper, bottled water too.
I have had the best tasting fish, chicken and pork ever cooked in this country from shore lunches to whole pig cooked at a small beach as we were fishing.
Took a catamaran out for a day too and had a great time exploring various shorelines etc.
I say go and explore, I personally like the cayo coco area.
Good luck, have fishing gear, snorkelling gear, back pack will travel, let'em know your a Canadian and the smiles get bigger.:)

58thecat
01-06-2018, 08:50 AM

Hmmmm my motorcycle says different....

Ranger CS
01-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Another thing I do not do in Cuba is drive. There are lots of cheap taxis. If you should ever get involved in an accident you may be there a lot longer than you planned getting things resolved. Know of one incident where a Canadian was involved in a fatal accident and spent the better part of a year there in custody.

Battle Rat
01-06-2018, 10:02 AM

Of all the warm vacation destination actions that I've been to Cuba was the best.
The people are great and even friendlier what they find out that you are Canadian.
You could spend a long time in down town Havana and not get bored.
Even at night I felt safer there than down town Edmonton.
Taxis are cheap so use them do not rent a vehicle.
If you are in an accident and you are not Cuban, it's your fault.
It doesn't matter who ran into who, it is your fault.

parfleche
01-06-2018, 11:26 AM
I worked and lived in Cuba , 1992 and 93, People were friendly as long as they know you are a Canadian , They are very apprehensive of Americans , The water I got tested was from the water in Varadero, Calgary tested it and it came back very good , But the facilities used to wash the utensils and plates is the culprit as it leaves a lot to be desired! and the basic personal sanitation of individual workers is questionable,
Crime was low ,as the punishment is HEAVY! The best advice is to stay away from the always present bobcats and cougars , They are NOT generally on their own as there is always someone calling the shots in the background , THAT is the thing that will get you in trouble! If you are inclined to hunt feline ,s ! All in all the people are very friendly and family oriented , When you develop friendships they are usually for life.
They are poor but do the best they can considering the circumstances. It is with a heavy heart I left them behind!

Termender
01-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Thanks all.

In summary, bottled water only, fish is OK to eat, don't rent a car, just use a taxi, and AirBnb has mixed results.

Any further comments re: the two Cuban currencies, one for tourists and the other for Cubans?

Termender
01-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Thanks all.

In summary, bottled water only, fish is OK to eat, don't rent a car, just use a taxi, and AirBnb has mixed results.

Any further comments re: the two Cuban currencies, one for tourists and the other for Cubans? Oh, and Mastercard doesn't work there, but does Visa or any ATMs?

Jayhad
01-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanks all.

Any further comments re: the two Cuban currencies, one for tourists and the other for Cubans? Oh, and Mastercard doesn't work there, but does Visa or any ATMs?

Don't worry about the currency thing... it's a thing of the past, you will probably only see CUC. A tour guide or local will describe it better than any of us. 15 years ago when I started going to Cuba the laws were tight on the possession of the currencies now locals use the CUCs as well.

I've rented cars numerous times. Ever had an issue , that said I don't drive into Varadero or Havana. I'd estimate I've driven close to 2500K on Cuba.

I use my visa, it will be accepted through most retailers, it just can't be from an American bank.

wildbill
01-07-2018, 02:18 PM
If someone breaks into your hotel room and steals everything except your toothbrush and camera, don’t brush your teeth:)

omega50
01-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Eat some Mojo

Ken07AOVette
01-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Are you dead set on Cuba? Why? Have you been to other places?
I am a huge Hawaii fan, always go to Oahu. We find new things every single time we go and visit our favorites from previous trips.

V_1
01-07-2018, 09:02 PM
What not to do?
Errr... Go? :D
Unless you miss some really stale ex-USSR "exotics". I don't. Cannot fathom why would you.

partsman
01-07-2018, 10:47 PM
Don't pee on castros grave

Ranger CS
01-07-2018, 11:34 PM
Only two currencies are usable in Cuba. The Cuban peso and the CUC or what is referred to as a convertible peso. Do not concern yourself with the Cuban peso as this currency is only used by Cuban people. The CUC which is very similar in value to the US dollar and fluctuates as does the US dollar relative to the Canadian dollar. You can exchange your Canadian dollars to CUCs at the desk of most resorts and of course at Cuban banks if you can find one. You can not get your money converted in Canada. No one will accept Canadian currency as it can not used anywhere in Cuba.

Termender
01-08-2018, 12:01 AM
Are you dead set on Cuba? Why? Have you been to other places?
I am a huge Hawaii fan, always go to Oahu. We find new things every single time we go and visit our favorites from previous trips.

Primary reason is we've never been, and so many people speak highly of the country, and its people. Want to see it before it gets too 'westernized' like much of the Caribbean.

Definitely want to stay away from cookie cutter resorts... been there done that way to often. Seen one, you've pretty well seen them all, no matter if Mexico, Antigua, Dominican Republic or elsewhere. I'd rather deal with real people.

YMMV

brslk
01-08-2018, 02:12 AM

The wife and I have been to every province in Canada as of last summer. NFLD is one of our favorites. Almost like going to a different country except everyone speaks English.
The funny thing is, when people ask where you went for vacation and you tell them Newfoundland, PEI or Nova Scotia they always say "oh, are you from there"? as if no one ever visits there unless they're from there.
When you tell someone you went to Vancouver or Penticton for vacation, you never get asked if that's where you're from.

Having said that, I work with a guy that goes to Cuba twice a year. He's there now. He's been there over 40 times.
He was telling me the other day that air BNB is more prolific there than anywhere else in the world except it has a different name... I forget what he called it.
I gave him a couple of old cell phones to take with him, he gives them away when he goes.
I don't see the point of going to an all inclusive resort. You may as well just go to the WEM waterpark and stay at the hotel there if all you wanna do is drink with fellow Canadians and Americans on a beach.

Now that the wife and I have been all over Canada, Cuba is on our list. Scotland is first though.

Bigrib
01-08-2018, 05:39 AM
Before u go to Cuba pick up some things to give the locals if you stay at a Casa Particular they will appreciate kitchen utility knives , baseballs , small Imperial socket sets , spark plugs to fit 50's vehicles , points and condensers .

I've heard it changed about a 18 months ago when US tourists were allowed to travel on a limited basis .

Santiago and area is an interesting place to visit .

elkhunter11
01-08-2018, 08:04 AM
We were in Cuba last winter , and are headed back in a few weeks. We were to Hawaii the year before, and I doubt we will be headed back. The resort itself was nicer in Hawaii, but the beaches in Cuba were much nicer, and the vacation cost about half as much, so we can afford to go twice as often. We did go on tours to the cities on the mainland, and I did get to see how the Cubans live, and the tours were enough time for me in the cities. As for Canada, I enjoy travelling western Canada in summer, especially the mountains and the coast, but in winter we want to go where we can enjoy warm weather and beaches to break up our winter, and there is nowhere in Canada where that is possible. Next winter, we will likely try another warm location for somerhing different.

tacomama
01-08-2018, 08:51 AM
We were in Cuba last winter , and are headed back in a few weeks. We were to Hawaii the year before, and I doubt we will be headed back. The resort itself was nicer in Hawaii, but the beaches in Cuba were much nicer, and the vacation cost about half as much, so we can afford to go twice as often. We did go on tours to the cities on the mainland, and I did get to see how the Cubans live, and the tours were enough time for me in the cities. As for Canada, I enjoy travelling western Canada in summer, especially the mountains and the coast, but in winter we want to go where we can enjoy warm weather and beaches to break up our winter, and there is nowhere in Canada where that is possible. Next winter, we will likely try another warm location for somerhing different.

^^^Exactly