PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Environment Minister "Eat Less Meat"

IronNoggin
01-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Really??

https://i.imgur.com/f68iUA0.jpg

I always think of Alberta in terms of I LOVE the Beef! Elk, Mulies, whitetails...

Wondering...
Nog

fishtank
01-05-2018, 03:08 PM
i got one for NDP.. turn off your gas. why drive just hop on your bike and peddle to work :rolleye2:

Newview01
01-05-2018, 03:21 PM
And some people say she isn't anti-hunting. Pretty sure this clears that up.

jstubbs
01-05-2018, 03:22 PM
I’m sure we’re all supposed to be outraged, but hey, not really the worst idea. Heck, just eating a little less meat and eating a few more vegetables could probably do us all good health-wise, since I’m sure the majority of us eat quite a bit of meat. If by helping ourselves be more healthy it also has the positive externality of helping the environment a bit as well, I don’t see it as a necessarily bad thing.

That being said, given most Albertan’s pro-meat (specifically the pride in Alberta beef) stance, it just shows how tone-deaf the NDP can be to not realize UCP, and average Albertans, are going to take offense to this statement. Can be interpreted by those in the cattle/meat industry as a big slap in the face.

NUK SOO KOW
01-05-2018, 03:35 PM
So done with them. Taking our public land away.. telling me I can’t camp.. ride my ohv..can’t fish here... close this.. tax that...telling me to take the bus... calling me a sewer rat... and now telling me what to eat. Dictators.
How the heck isn’t there a million albertans on the step of the legislature saying enough is enough get out!!

elkhunter11
01-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Perhaps she should be talking to the health minister about eating less?

Twisted Canuck
01-05-2018, 03:47 PM
I could have so much to say about this topic in general, but I suspect this will be getting shut down sooner rather than later. That whole thing about political topics.

See, I'm learning!:)

Hillbilly 12
01-05-2018, 04:15 PM
But run and pump funds for the opioid crisis.

YYC338
01-05-2018, 04:23 PM
I’m sure we’re all supposed to be outraged, but hey, not really the worst idea. Heck, just eating a little less meat and eating a few more vegetables could probably do us all good health-wise, since I’m sure the majority of us eat quite a bit of meat. If by helping ourselves be more healthy it also has the positive externality of helping the environment a bit as well, I don’t see it as a necessarily bad thing.

That being said, given most Albertan’s pro-meat (specifically the pride in Alberta beef) stance, it just shows how tone-deaf the NDP can be to not realize UCP, and average Albertans, are going to take offense to this statement. Can be interpreted by those in the cattle/meat industry as a big slap in the face.

I fail to see how eating as much high protein, very lean wild meat as one wants could be considered unhealthy. Nothing wrong with eating more veg, just no need to cut back on quality protein. Meat isn't necessarily a four letter word.

wwbirds
01-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Judging by the size of many of the ministers they appointed cows must be sacred in Alberta since the NDP took over.

2 Tollers
01-05-2018, 04:50 PM
They are learning. On the Carbon tax they are taking heat for not saying anything prior to the election as this being a primary platform. Get in again and add a meat tax and point back to discussing this prior to the election.

Trust is not something that I have with this group. I know a few people that are NDP campaign workers and statements on the need to reduce greenhouse gas production from livestock, elimination of hunting for sport etc have all been made. Just not openly.

jstubbs
01-05-2018, 05:13 PM
I fail to see how eating as much high protein, very lean wild meat as one wants could be considered unhealthy. Nothing wrong with eating more veg, just no need to cut back on quality protein. Meat isn't necessarily a four letter word.

Agreed, no need to cut down on quality protein, but nowhere did it imply she wanted anyone to cut down on high protein, lean wild meat specifically. The vast majority of meat consumed in this province by average Albertans is store bought, and not always the healthiest, especially when thinking about fatty red meat. That is the sort of meat she is advocating the reduced consumption of, because that is often the most environmentally taxing (methane from cattle, negative environmental externalities associated with the production, and the CO2 from trucking the meat from farm to store).

trophybook
01-05-2018, 05:19 PM

She's quite the heifer

Newview01
01-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Agreed, no need to cut down on quality protein, but nowhere did it imply she wanted anyone to cut down on high protein, lean wild meat specifically. The vast majority of meat consumed in this province by average Albertans is store bought, and not always the healthiest, especially when thinking about fatty red meat. That is the sort of meat she is advocating the reduced consumption of, because that is often the most environmentally taxing (methane from cattle, negative environmental externalities associated with the production, and the CO2 from trucking the meat from farm to store).

So she is advocating a slow down of a major industry in AB.

Even if she thinks along those lines she was a fool to speak her mind.

icehunter
01-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Green challenge..Got it. I will only burn bias ply tires rather then radials for a month. :)

mgvande
01-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Does Shannon hang out with KD Lang?

vcmm
01-05-2018, 05:54 PM
She's quite the heifer

A Kobi

javlin101
01-05-2018, 06:13 PM

ooooh you beat me to it, Come on NDP lead the way to Narnia and stay there with the Unicorns.

Our new company start up was 2018 and 5 days in awarded our first big order. Yup oil & Gas so Phillips kiss my Arse.

jstubbs
01-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Even if she thinks along those lines she was a fool to speak her mind.

Which is what I stated in my first post. So many NDP MLA's are wildly out of touch with Albertans when they post stuff like this.

MountainTi
01-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Which is what I stated in my first post. So many NDP MLA's are wildly out of touch with Albertans when they post stuff like this.

ALL NDP MLA's are wildly out of touch with Albertans

YYC338
01-05-2018, 06:40 PM
That is the sort of meat she is advocating the reduced consumption of, because that is often the most environmentally taxing (methane from cattle, negative environmental externalities associated with the production, and the CO2 from trucking the meat from farm to store).

Ahh, no where did she imply what sort of meat she was referring to. Do you have some inside info from the honorable minister?

ehrgeiz
01-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Someone should tip the Minister onto the myriad of health professionals who are recently advocating a meat heavy, protein and fat based diet as ideal.

huntinstuff
01-05-2018, 06:50 PM
It’s her opinion
It’s her Twitter page

Who cares

She’s a politician. They say and do anything for votes.

Little red riding hood
01-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Why would she advocate eating LESS meat? I thought cow farts were contributing to the greenhouse gases? So if we eat MORE cows... we're eliminating cow farts, right???

Aim Low
01-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Wow, what’s next? Making fun of people in wheelchairs? For you and everyone else making cracks about her weight...grow up. This board is such a toilet sometimes. I don’t agree with her politics, but nonetheless she’s a human being. Take a look in the mirror to see who the “pig” truly is here.

grouse_hunter
01-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Wow, what’s next? Making fun of people in wheelchairs? For you and everyone else making cracks about her weight...grow up. This board is such a toilet sometimes. I don’t agree with her politics, but nonetheless she’s a human being. Take a look in the mirror to see who the “pig” truly is here.

That was aiming low... lol

Personally I'm glad that she made that statement. It is but another nail in NDPs' coffin.

YYC338
01-05-2018, 07:20 PM
There are correlations between physical fitness and better heath. She is the health minister after all. She should encourage everyone to to live a healthy life style and by doing so would go a long way to help reducing health care costs in the province. You can't be blind to the optics on this.

huntinstuff
01-05-2018, 07:27 PM
There are correlations between physical fitness and better heath. She is the health minister after all. She should encourage everyone to to live a healthy life style and by doing so would go a long way to help reducing health care costs in the province. You can't be blind to the optics on this.

Very true
However, her physical state is more on par with most Albertans, so more probably identify with her.

Zero women look at her and hate her.

catnthehat
01-05-2018, 07:47 PM

She is the Minister of Environment not health , at least that is who this thread is about.

Cat

elkhunter11
01-05-2018, 07:54 PM

If your government ministers are going to tell other people what to eat, then all ministers of the government should lead by example. The health minister is not handicapped and restricted to a wheelchair , she is simply very obese. As such she never should have been made the minister of health, since the ministers should lead by example, and she is a poor example where health is concerned.

Exactly, how can they expect anyone to look at her, and take anything that she says about living healthy seriously? Ad the fact that she is the health minister, makes the environment minister look silly by telling other people to eat less meat .

Monica B
01-05-2018, 07:57 PM
Who cares

Obviously people on this forum and Albertans.

Twisted Canuck
01-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Obviously people on this forum and Albertans.

I'm on this forum, and I'm an Albertan, and I actually don't care. It could be argued though that I'm not a people. But I generally try not to argue with Members named 'Monica' with 2 posts. Not because I don't care about you......ok, it is because of that.

01-05-2018, 08:12 PM
ALL NDP MLA's are wildly out of touch...PERIOD.

There....fixed it for ya:)

amosfella
01-05-2018, 08:45 PM
Well, I wish that she'd just get stuffed by her own accord... By a 8" x 20' solid bar of white hot iron....

:budo::sign0176::angry3:

YYC338
01-05-2018, 08:50 PM
She is the Minister of Environment not health , at least that is who this thread is about.

Cat

Actually there's been a reference to both ministers in this thread and I was referring to the health minister. The environment minister is from my riding, I'm well aware of who she is and what she's about.

Newview01
01-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Green challenge..Got it. I will only burn bias ply tires rather then radials for a month. :)

Somebody needs to burn something. Record colds being set, obviously not enough carbon in the air.

Monica B
01-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Not because I don't care about you......ok, it is because of that.

try to be un-Twisted

Twisted Canuck
01-05-2018, 10:09 PM
try to be un-Twisted

Would I have to forsake hunting, fishing, driving completely impractical high performance cars, collecting lots of scary handguns, eating red meat, drinking fine whisky, caring more about hockey than psuedo science climate change, shaving more than twice a week, and being completely unabashedly politically incorrect?

If the answer to any of those is 'yes'....I'm going to take a pass and cling to my Twistedness.

Credit where it is due though Monica, you got me to respond to you twice now. You go girl!:sHa_shakeshout:

catnthehat
01-05-2018, 11:16 PM
Actually there's been a reference to both ministers in this thread and I was referring to the health minister. The environment minister is from my riding, I'm well aware of who she is and what she's about.

But the minister of health was the one that was tweeting about eating less meat - among other things
Cat

YYC338
01-06-2018, 12:28 AM
But the minister of health was the one that was tweeting about eating less meat - among other things
Cat

I believe the environment minister was the one tweeting about eating less meat not the health minister as you claim. You are following along here and not just shooting from the hip, right?

Both ministers have been referenced in this thread but it's not that confusing really.

HunterDave
01-06-2018, 12:32 AM
Way to promote the Alberta beef industry, not to mention other livestock and poultry producers. This government is beyond ridiculous. :rolleye2:

Aim Low
01-06-2018, 06:41 AM
If your government ministers are going to tell other people what to eat, then all ministers of the government should lead by example. The health minister is not handicapped and restricted to a wheelchair , she is simply very obese. As such she never should have been made the minister of health, since the ministers should lead by example, and she is a poor example where health is concerned.

Exactly, how can they expect anyone to look at her, and take anything that she says about living healthy seriously? Ad the fact that she is the health minister, makes the environment minister look silly by telling other people to eat less meat .

Wow, again what a juvenile attitude. You’re saying based upon the fact that she is fat, she shouldn’t be allowed to be health minister? Politics aside, Have you examined her qualifications and experience? Her ability as a leader? Her vision?

Also, do you know if she has been struggling with an eating disorder her entire life? Perhaps she’s been trying to lose the weight? If she is (good for her) do you think she would be encouraged by the comments here? If not, why say them? I understand it’s hard for all you physically perfect “Greek gods” to deal with such imperfection, but you’ll be fine.

Somethings I’m teaching my 5 year old son that you and many others on this board would do good to remember:

- Be nice to other people. Even if you don’t like them.
- Don’t judge a book by its cover
- Before you say something, ask yourself: “would my mommy or daddy be proud of me if I said that?”

cccan
01-06-2018, 07:19 AM
Elk....you are wrong ...."she is a good example of a bad example"

icehunter
01-06-2018, 07:19 AM
Wow, again what a juvenile attitude. You’re saying based upon the fact that she is fat, she shouldn’t be allowed to be health minister? Politics aside, Have you examined her qualifications and experience? Her ability as a leader? Her vision?

Also, do you know if she has been struggling with an eating disorder her entire life? Perhaps she’s been trying to lose the weight? If she is (good for her) do you think she would be encouraged by the comments here? If not, why say them? I understand it’s hard for all you physically perfect “Greek gods” to deal with such imperfection, but you’ll be fine.

Somethings I’m teaching my 5 year old son that you and many others on this board would do good to remember:

- Before you say something, ask yourself: “would my mommy or daddy be proud of me if I said that?”

Give it a rest already.

propliner
01-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Steak and eggs for breakfast here.

elkhunter11
01-06-2018, 07:49 AM

Over the past two years, anyone paying attention to what is going on in Alberta should have a good idea of her ability of a leader.

And have you forgotten that she referred to Albertans as "sewer rats"? She is merely reaping what she has sown. A good lesson to teach your five year old son.

Armorman
01-06-2018, 08:05 AM
ALL NDP MLA's are wildly out of touch with Albertans

I used to think that way but sometimes I wonder if they are truly out of touch with the majority of "Albertans". The NDP is pandering to the citiot voter and we all know how they think. Everybody knows a citiot or two. Hell, my wife's family are 90% citiot. Half of them think Trump is Hitler and the other half are lazy dope smoking vegans. They think driving 1 hour through Edmonton traffic is ok but taking a 1 hour drive down an empty highway to our place is like interstellar travel. In other words, common sense is in short supply these days.

/rant.

sportman
01-06-2018, 08:14 AM

Does the production of vegetables not have negative environmental externalities associated with the production (farming). How do the vegetables get from the farm to the store (re CO2 from trucking). Perhaps the NDP deliver them on their bikes

Maybe this is just the first step in their master plan to suggest we do not eat at all Then there would be no need doe oil & gas, coal, cars and a complete and total end to pollution of any kind. Goal accomplished!

HighlandHeart
01-06-2018, 08:16 AM
Eat less meat? Sure. With the money I save I can buy some fur hats.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-06-2018, 08:33 AM
How do you have less vehicle idling during what is apparently a shockingly cold winter?

YYC338
01-06-2018, 09:30 AM

Perhaps you could enlighten us on the health ministers qualifications here? From running and managing an organization the size of the health ministry. to handling and executing a capital budget in past job experience anywhere near the size of the budget of the health ministry. Does she have any experience as a "leader"?
I don't know if she does or doesn't have an eating disorder but since you brought it up, don't you think that should have some bearing on her appointment to her position related specifically to health care and health management if she did have?

Love your reference to Greek gods by the way. Don't think anybody said that should be a requirement for the position though. However there are some widely accepted "norms" in the heath care world for a healthy weight range leading to a longer life span and healthier living.

I believe there's a number of published studies also that relate obesity to a wide range of heath care issues.

Not looking to point fingers here, just stating facts and asking questions.

Sorry for the thread derail.

The Cook
01-06-2018, 10:32 AM
GO LEAFS GO (just thought I'd wander a little off topic)

ex811
01-06-2018, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=sportman;3703618]Does the production of vegetables not have negative environmental externalities associated with the production (farming). How do the vegetables get from the farm to the store (re CO2 from trucking). Perhaps the NDP deliver them on their bikes

Since allot of our fruit/veg get trucked up here from Mexico and the Southern US, I think this is a very valid point.
I'm sure the minister is aware of this, and if she's not she's just a typical dumber than a rock politician who will say stupid things just cause it suits their master plan...whatever that may be.

BuckCuller
01-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Perhaps you could enlighten us on the health ministers qualifications here? From running and managing an organization the size of the health ministry. to handling and executing a capital budget in past job experience anywhere near the size of the budget of the health ministry. Does she have any experience as a "leader"?
I don't know if she does or doesn't have an eating disorder but since you brought it up, don't you think that should have some bearing on her appointment to her position related specifically to health care and health management if she did have?

Love your reference to Greek gods by the way. Don't think anybody said that should be a requirement for the position though. However there are some widely accepted "norms" in the heath care world for a healthy weight range leading to a longer life span and healthier living.

I believe there's a number of published studies also that relate obesity to a wide range of heath care issues.

Not looking to point fingers here, just stating facts and asking questions.

Sorry for the thread derail.

After reading Sarah Hoffman’s half a page bio,she doesn’t seem qualified at all. She has a masters in education and a Bachelor of Arts degree. Stack that up to being in the workforce since 2010 it just doesn’t seem like a lot of experience to be running Alberta’s healthcare system.

2 Tollers
01-06-2018, 11:22 AM
News this AM - the Environment Minister was on the NDP news network (Global) and defended the message in the tweet. In Global's defence they do say that not once in the interview did Ms Phillips mention anything on someone else using her private twitter account to post the message.

As period of time after the interview Ms Phillips made an announcement that a staffer had accessed her twitter account and sent the message out without her knowledge and this will not happen again.

So:

First she defends the message -- so cut back on the meat for 2018

Then after the heat is turned up she says it was not her message -- someone else to blame

So now if you believe that a staffer put this out without the ministers knowledge --- then the minister does not know the messages her staff put out to Albertan's on her behalf.

All is ok now so back to the norm -- As a minister keep your views / agenda hidden, blame others when a leak occurs

Nothing to see here folks -- move along, move along.

Next up will be a press conference on a phone in threat of some type as they most likely have not yet suffered the full effects of the false accusations on the last one.

YYC338
01-06-2018, 11:27 AM
After reading Sarah Hoffman’s half a page bio,she doesn’t seem qualified at all. She has a masters in education and a Bachelor of Arts degree. Stack that up to being in the workforce since 2010 it just doesn’t seem like a lot of experience to be running Alberta’s healthcare system.

Bingo! We have a winner! :sHa_shakeshout::happy0034:

wildbill
01-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Really??

https://i.imgur.com/f68iUA0.jpg

I always think of Alberta in terms of I LOVE the Beef! Elk, Mulies, whitetails...

Wondering...
Nog

Of course this cow don’t want no one eating meat, most cows don’t.

huntsfurfish
01-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Ibtl

:party0051:

AB2506
01-06-2018, 12:36 PM
https://theconversation.com/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/sep/06/meat-production-veganism-deforestation

The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability
Book cover The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability.We’ve been told that a vegetarian diet can feed the hungry, honor the animals, and save the planet. But, is it true?

Published: 2009

Lierre Keith believed in that plant-based diet and spent twenty years as a vegan. But in The Vegetarian Myth, she argues that we’ve been led astray—not by our longings for a just and sustainable world, but by our ignorance.

The truth is that agriculture is a relentless assault against the planet, and more of the same won’t save us. In service to annual grains, humans have devastated prairies and forests, driven countless species extinct, altered the climate, and destroyed the topsoil—the basis of life itself. Keith argues that if we are to save this planet, our food must be an act of profound and abiding repair: it must come from inside living communities, not be imposed across them.

Part memoir, part nutritional primer, and part political manifesto, The Vegetarian Myth will challenge everything you thought you knew about food politics.

“The Vegetarian Myth is one of the most important books people, masses of them, can read, as we try with all our might, intelligence, skill, hope, dream and memory, to turn the disastrous course the planet is on. It’s a wonderful book, full of thoughtful, soulful teachings, and appropriate rage. My admiration for Lierre’s sharing of life experience and knowledge is complete.”
Alice Walker, prize-winning author, “The Color Purple”

“This book saved my life. Not only does The Vegetarian Myth make clear how we should be eating, but also how the dominant food system is killing the planet. This necessary book challenges many of the destructive myths we live by and offers us a way back into our bodies, and back into the fight to save the planet.”
Derrick Jensen, author of Endgame and A Language Older Than Words

“Everyone who eats should read this book. Everyone who eats vegetarian should memorize it…. This is the single most important book I’ve ever read on diet, agriculture, and ecology. And as a farmer and ex-vegan, that’s saying a lot.”
Aric McBay, author of What We Leave Behind and Peak Oil Survival

“We may not want to face the facts, but Keith sees this as no excuse to stay in denial. If delivered as a speech, you could see that no one in the audience would be [seated] at the end. I have never seen such rousing prose.”
www.ZoeHarcombe.com (August 7, 2011)

“In The Vegetarian Myth ex-vegan Lierre Keith argues that saving the planet and ending the suffering found in factory farms can not be achieved by refusing to eat animals, it can only be achieved by boycotting modern agricultural practices, which Keith calls ‘the most destructive thing that people have done to the planet.'”
www.mercola.com

Read the first chapter of The Vegetarian Myth in…
English

sns2
01-06-2018, 02:00 PM
It's a stupid tweet for sure. Along the lines of our PM not mentioning Alberta on Canada Day. But this ain't the place for politics and you guys know that. It has been clearly stated in the rules for years. Infractions will be given for guys who start them, and if there's a pattern you will be going down the road regardless of how many posts you have. Simple as that. Closed.