PDA

View Full Version : Quality Furnace

dodger
01-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Lots of high efficiency brands out there, but I am looking for what some would feel is the best “quality” furnace. I don’t really care about a couple of % points on efficiency but I want what some feel are the best built..

Thanks, Dodger.

ronkaren
01-06-2018, 03:16 PM
York, 100 stage. mid to high efficiency, great unit

Twisted Canuck
01-06-2018, 03:19 PM
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/gas-furnaces/buying-guide

I've always heard good things about Trane, and had them installed in a couple of my homes with zero issues ever. I expect Caber could give you good info.

York is rated as the least reliable brand by consumer report.

dodger
01-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Thanks guys. I have heard Trane was reliable.

Dodger.

artie
01-06-2018, 05:14 PM
I am not very happy with carrier. A furnace should be designed to last more than 12 years. One person told me I should be happy lots of people only get ten years out of a new furnace. Another person feels you do not get any savings from a high efficiency furnace as you are to busy paying for repairs.

dodger
01-06-2018, 05:28 PM
I am not very happy with carrier. A furnace should be designed to last more than 12 years. One person told me I should be happy lots of people only get ten years out of a new furnace. Another person feels you do not get any savings from a high efficiency furnace as you are to busy paying for repairs.

This exactly why I am interested mostly in the quality. Best built !!!

I know, I know, with the garbage that manufactures put out now with pretty much everything I should have said “ least crappiest furnace”.

Dodger.

gmcmax05
01-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Trane all the way, I had 2 Trane Furnaces & 2 AC units installed when I built my house 2 years ago & they have functioned flawlessly:sHa_shakeshout:

Selkirk
01-06-2018, 05:35 PM
There is lots of good information on Consumer Reports that is only available to paying members ... I just happen to be one. :)

This is a 'cut & paste' from a Consumer Reports members-only page . . .

Ruud, Trane, and American Standard are among the more reliable natural gas furnace brands, whereas Goodman, Lennox, and Amana are among the less reliable brands. York, however, stands out as the least reliable brand and cannot be recommended by Consumer Reports at this time. That’s what we found based on the feedback of 21,618 subscribers, who reported on their experiences with gas furnaces installed between 2011 and 2016. The following chart shows the estimated breakdown rates for gas furnace brands by the third year of ownership. Differences of fewer than 3 percentage points aren’t meaningful. Models within a brand may vary, and changes in design or manufacturer might affect reliability. Still, choosing a gas furnace from a more dependable brand can improve your odds of getting a reliable model.

Due to a change in our methodology, our reliability estimates are not comparable to previous years. In the past, our estimates were based on instances of repair or serious problems. We now base our estimates on the rate at which gas furnaces break down or stop functioning well enough to sufficiently heat a home.

Brand Breakdown rates for gas furnaces:

Ruud 8%
Trane 9%
American Standard 9%
Rheem 10%
Carrier 11%
Bryant 12%
Amana 14%
Lennox 14%
Goodman 15%
York 19%

Source: 2016 Spring Product Reliability Survey, Consumer Reports National Research Center.

Hope that ^ helps.

Selkirk

dodger
01-06-2018, 06:27 PM
There is lots of good information on Consumer Reports that is only available to paying members ... I just happen to be one. :)

This is a 'cut & paste' from a Consumer Reports members-only page . . .

Ruud, Trane, and American Standard are among the more reliable natural gas furnace brands, whereas Goodman, Lennox, and Amana are among the less reliable brands. York, however, stands out as the least reliable brand and cannot be recommended by Consumer Reports at this time. That’s what we found based on the feedback of 21,618 subscribers, who reported on their experiences with gas furnaces installed between 2011 and 2016. The following chart shows the estimated breakdown rates for gas furnace brands by the third year of ownership. Differences of fewer than 3 percentage points aren’t meaningful. Models within a brand may vary, and changes in design or manufacturer might affect reliability. Still, choosing a gas furnace from a more dependable brand can improve your odds of getting a reliable model.

Due to a change in our methodology, our reliability estimates are not comparable to previous years. In the past, our estimates were based on instances of repair or serious problems. We now base our estimates on the rate at which gas furnaces break down or stop functioning well enough to sufficiently heat a home.

Brand Breakdown rates for gas furnaces:

Ruud 8%
Trane 9%
American Standard 9%
Rheem 10%
Carrier 11%
Bryant 12%
Amana 14%
Lennox 14%
Goodman 15%
York 19%

Source: 2016 Spring Product Reliability Survey, Consumer Reports National Research Center.

Hope that ^ helps.

Selkirk

Awesome! Thanks for posting this.

Dodger.

dewalt18
01-06-2018, 09:19 PM
If you're going to do it, and want the high end unit, Lennox SLP98. Nothing else comes close. But, do your research on who will be doing the install, a shady company can mess up even the best furnace, and a great company can install the same one and make your life heaven. Get multiple quotes, and compare them closely. Make sure the quote are for the same equipment, and the same installation.

michaelmicallef
01-06-2018, 10:44 PM
My mother has one of the first condensing furnaces that came on the market. It's a Keeprite. And that thing has been unbelievable in terms of reliability. But these days who nows what they are producing. I don't see a lot of trane furnaces but than again I do mostly commercial HVAC. Just make sure of the warranty and parts availability in your area unless you are in a major city some parts may not be there on cold days. And make sure someone reputable installs what ever you choose. That more often then not is the key to trouble free operation.

CNP
01-06-2018, 11:14 PM
Previous house I replaced my 30 year old inefficient furnace with a Trane med efficiency 2 stage. Blower motor lasted two years.

New house and I didn't care what furnace the builder put in, so of course I have an economy Tempstar 1 stage 96% AFUE. It's a builder furnace.......but you know what, the install means just as much or more in the grand scheme. I'm happy with this furnace because:

It's simple, not a lot to go wrong with it;
Lived in the house for over two years and it purrs on one stage instead of roaring into the second stage;
I don't need a 2 stage because this furnace will move the temp in my 2600 sqft house from 16 to 20 degrees in 20 mins. That's the best...:)

If you're replacing an existing furnace........I don't know if you are talking new construction..........make sure your hvac guy doesn't try to force your existing plenum onto your new furnace...........you want a clean airflow not a mismatch between the plenum and furnace.

dodger
01-07-2018, 05:09 AM
I’m replacing a 22 year old furnace. I have a good installer in place and he does like the Trane brand. I just wanted to see other opinions on a quality furnace.

Thanks, Dodger.

Dog_River
01-07-2018, 08:29 AM
We need to install a new HVAC system and are researching Aerothermal ductless heat pumps. Very interesting so far. No idea of cost yet.

http://www.canadianaerothermal.ca/index.html It's a technology used alot in Europe.

Dog_River

Big Grey Wolf
01-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Biggest repair costs on All the furnace manufactures are the premature failure of the Control/circuit board. They cost $400 plus along with service call of $200. Total purchase cost of my Frigidare 120k btu was $900. Board went this winter after 15 years.

ChrisGrohms
01-07-2018, 10:13 PM
Ask what brands are being sold locally and and not through independent dealers as parts will be easier/faster to come by when (not if) the furnace breaks down. I like tempstar/keeprite furnaces. Sinclair supply always had a healthy supply of replacement parts available 24/7. Never had issues getting parts for trane furnaces through emco.

elkhunter11
01-08-2018, 08:17 AM
My first house had a Lennox, and it provided over 20 years of service , before we decided to install A/C and upgrade the furnace at the same time. A good friend is in the business, and recommended Lennox due to reliability, warranty, and availability of parts. When we bought the new house we live in now, it had a cheap Frigidaire that gave us trouble after about six years, and twice in one year we were without heat waiting a couple of days for parts. We bought a higher end Lennox unit, and added A/C, and the new unit is quieter, and uses less gas than the Frigidaire. One thing that was made clear to me, is that there is a noticeable difference between the jobber furnaces installed in most new homes, and the better quality units. The higher end multi speed units are often quieter, use less gas, and have better warranties.

dodger
01-08-2018, 10:13 AM
My first house had a Lennox, and it provided over 20 years of service , before we decided to install A/C and upgrade the furnace at the same time. A good friend is in the business, and recommended Lennox due to reliability, warranty, and availability of parts. When we bought the new house we live in now, it had a cheap Frigidaire that gave us trouble after about six years, and twice in one year we were without heat waiting a couple of days for parts. We bought a higher end Lennox unit, and added A/C, and the new unit is quieter, and uses less gas than the Frigidaire. One thing that was made clear to me, is that there is a noticeable difference between the jobber furnaces installed in most new homes, and the better quality units. The higher end multi speed units are often quieter, use less gas, and have better warranties.

Thanks for your input.

Dodger

darren32
01-08-2018, 03:18 PM

The variable speed units are very nice and quiet. I have a Carrier Infinity that I really like. However the variable speed motors can be ridiculous. When I need one I will be looking at:

http://www.oemhvacpartscanada.ca/products/carrier-58mv660006-blower-motor.html

A friend of mine just spent $2,600.00 fixing a Daikin with a variable speed DC motor. They figure a power surge took out the motor and 3 control boards???? It's a real nice furnace but for $2,600.00 it would be coming out of my place ....

BUSHRVN
01-08-2018, 03:35 PM
A little off topic, but a though I had during this last cold spell. Is there any sense in having two slightly smaller furnaces instead of one for the simple reason that if one goes down, you at least have some heat from one still in the mean time?
I assume the logistics of this idea tying the two to work together might be a challenge. I remember being in a neighbors house as a kid and he had two furnaces in a normal sized house, both in the same utility room.
Possible??

Termender
01-08-2018, 05:09 PM
I always wondered where the break even point is with the high efficiency furnaces. In my old house, I had a Lennox that was installed in 1961. I had it checked each year for the firebox, and it always passed. Yeah, I know it was only 50%, but it worked, and it was bullet proof.

I have a similar (not quite as old) furnace now, and until it actually dies, it will not get replaced. In fact, I would gladly take your old low efficiency furnace of your hands, and use it as a backup.

bobinthesky
01-08-2018, 05:34 PM
I’m replacing a 22 year old furnace. I have a good installer in place and he does like the Trane brand. I just wanted to see other opinions on a quality furnace.

Thanks, Dodger.

had a new Trane installed in 2003 and it ran great for the ten years I had it. Then in another house I had a Trane installed in 2013 and 3 months later it quit for 3 days in -20 degree weather. The installer came back and replaced almost all of the computerized components getting it to work again. That time lasted for a couple of months and it quit again. After that time they got it fixed. I now have a Lennox (in another property) that I had installed last year and it has worked very well and is very efficient.

Termender
01-08-2018, 06:12 PM
I always wondered where the break even point is with the high efficiency furnaces. In my old house, I had a Lennox that was installed in 1961. I had it checked each year for the firebox, and it always passed. Yeah, I know it was only 50%, but it worked, and it was bullet proof.

I have a similar (not quite as old) furnace now, and until it actually dies, it will not get replaced. In fact, I would gladly take your old low efficiency furnace of your hands, and use it as a backup.

dodger
01-09-2018, 05:30 AM
had a new Trane installed in 2003 and it ran great for the ten years I had it. Then in another house I had a Trane installed in 2013 and 3 months later it quit for 3 days in -20 degree weather. The installer came back and replaced almost all of the computerized components getting it to work again. That time lasted for a couple of months and it quit again. After that time they got it fixed. I now have a Lennox (in another property) that I had installed last year and it has worked very well and is very efficient.

This is the problem that makes me nervous. I am of the "keep it simple " mind set and when I hear of "computerized parts" for a furnace? I just shake my head. This is why I keep looking for quality over efficiency so I can sleep at night knowing the house will be warm.

Dodger.

squidward
01-09-2018, 05:59 AM
As a service plumber, now inspector I'd vote Trane too. Having spent the last 12 or so years on a service truck, I have yet to work on a Trane. In commercial, sure I serviced a lot of Trane equipment for maintenance contracts but for a regular consumer grade furnace, They don't seem to break down like the others do. I think that says a lot.

bobinthesky
01-09-2018, 06:43 AM
This is the problem that makes me nervous. I am of the "keep it simple " mind set and when I hear of "computerized parts" for a furnace? I just shake my head. This is why I keep looking for quality over efficiency so I can sleep at night knowing the house will be warm.

Dodger.

It's defiantly a worry when your away for a couple of days in the cold weather, wondering if your coming home to a froze up house!
The computers have helped to made new furnaces really efficient...... when they work! The old mechanical furnaces were not very efficient but they really had very little that could go wrong with them.

Weedy1
01-09-2018, 06:44 AM
One of the biggest problems in the residential HVAC service industry is poorly trained techs that cannot diagnose a piece of equipment properly. Without good skills they have a tendency to replace parts until the unit works. This is why homeowners end up with ridiculous bills. I suggest when choosing a new furnace that an equal amount of time go into choosing the right contractor to do the job.

elkhunter11
01-09-2018, 07:06 AM
It's defiantly a worry when your away for a couple of days in the cold weather, wondering if your coming home to a froze up house!
The computers have helped to made new furnaces really efficient...... when they work! The old mechanical furnaces were not very efficient but they really had very little that could go wrong with them.

The good thing about computers, is that the new computerized thermostats allow you to check the temperature of your home while you are away. They will even e-mail you if the temperature falls below a designated level.

ren008
01-09-2018, 07:32 AM

I've had multiple tech friends tell me to hold onto my late 70's vintage big green Honeywell furnace as long as possible as well. "Bulletproof" is a term I've heard more than once and i figure it will be the heat exchanger that gives out eventually so keeping a close eye on it due to age and will only replace it once it dies.

It's like guys buying a new truck to scrape out a few extra MPG but ignoring the payment.

Break even calculator:
https://www.yourmoneypage.com/energy/furnace1a.php

MK2750
01-09-2018, 09:44 AM
I've had multiple tech friends tell me to hold onto my late 70's vintage big green Honeywell furnace as long as possible as well. "Bulletproof" is a term I've heard more than once and i figure it will be the heat exchanger that gives out eventually so keeping a close eye on it due to age and will only replace it once it dies.

It's like guys buying a new truck to scrape out a few extra MPG but ignoring the payment.

Break even calculator:
https://www.yourmoneypage.com/energy/furnace1a.php

Your calculator and your friends are misguided. From the website they make this claim;

This calculator does NOT take inflation, interest on savings or interest paid on loans into account in these calculations.

- Electricity used by furnace not considered. In general electricity use will be a very small component of a natural gas furnace running cost.

Both statements are ridiculous. If you do not consider the cost of replacement in the future and factor in inflation then your data is useless. A $4000 furnace today may be $10,000 in five years from now but I would bet at least $6000. That's a real $2000 and I certainly don't see gas and electrical going down.

Another thing that people don't include is the cost of repair keeping the old furnace running. A service call after hours and repair can be $1000 depending if the parts are even available. I know some people repair themselves, but very few and most are just avoiding the inevitable. Your new furnace should have at least 10 years P & L warranty. If people DON'T CHEAP OUT WITH CONTRACTOR GRADE JUNK and choose a reliable installer new furnaces are every bit as reliable as the old days.

Then there is the inconvenience of the inevitable catastrophic failure, most likely resulting in time off work and another service call. Forget about brand knowledge and dealer preference, most reputable dealers are booked up when it is cold. You have also lost negotiation power as you are in a desperate situation. WAITING FOR A HEAT EXCHAGER TO FAIL IS LIKE DRIVING THE FAMILY CAR UNTIL THE TIRES WEAR OFF OR OTHER MECHANICAL ISSUES ARE IGNORED. It's old, wore out and potentially dangerous. Please be proactive with your families health and safety.

Electrical savings are indeed a factor to be considered, especially if running AC in the summer months. A variable speed blower paired with a staging gas valve can reduce the electrical cost of operation by 70% when compared to other modern furnaces. Compared to a short cycling, over sized beast that many are replacing it could be a savings of several hundred dollars a year.

Last, but certainly not least, is your comfort and piece of mind. A properly installed variable speed furnace will make your home a much nicer place to be. They eliminate short cycling and cold spots, run whisper quiet and circulate healthy fresh air year round.

So lets consider running the old furnace for 10 more years vs buying a new one at $5000. The electrical savings alone would be at least $2500 over 10 years at todays prices. That's a very realistic $250 a year. I would estimate gas savings to be similar but again, when we factor in carbon taxes and inflation it will probably be much more. So we basically break even.

Now consider that the new furnace is completely covered by warranty over those 10 years and the old furnace is, well old. I would wager at least one service call but probably several and some parts. A realistic number would be at least $500 but more likely $1000 plus. Think about the cost of a call out in 9 years.

So for the next 10 years we could enjoy gas savings, electrical savings, a more comfortable home, do a wee bit for the environment and most importantly ensure a safe and healthy living environment for our families OR run a piece of junk furnace into the ground, worry if today is the day, have uncomfortable hot and cold spots throughout the house and pay more in the long run.

If you have chosen a reputable installer, a good brand and have done proper maintenance also consider that the new furnace will last much beyond the break even point.

Anyway, that is way more than 2 cents but you can keep the change and add that to your savings. OP should have his buddy put in a Trane S9V2 and live happily there after.

CaberTosser
01-09-2018, 10:03 AM
The part about “waiting for a heat exchanger to fail is like driving the family car until the tires wear off” is more than a little hyperbolic. Not every heat exchanger is doomed by bad design to fail. Sure there are many such as Flame Masters and some among more modern designs as well but that does not mean every single heat exchanger in every furnace is doomed to fail. You know full well that well-designed units generally only fail from excess heat cycling such as if the motor fails and it’s bumping off the high limit or if the combination fan & limit is poorly adjusted (for furnaces that old), or even if the filters are left plugged. Given proper install, adjustment and maintenance it’s a crock of hooey to suggest that a failed heat exchanger is inevitable among all models.

Sometimes: sure, of course
Always: Pffft :rolleyes:

dodger
01-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Your calculator and your friends are misguided. From the website they make this claim;

This calculator does NOT take inflation, interest on savings or interest paid on loans into account in these calculations.

- Electricity used by furnace not considered. In general electricity use will be a very small component of a natural gas furnace running cost.

Both statements are ridiculous. If you do not consider the cost of replacement in the future and factor in inflation then your data is useless. A $4000 furnace today may be $10,000 in five years from now but I would bet at least $6000. That's a real $2000 and I certainly don't see gas and electrical going down.

Another thing that people don't include is the cost of repair keeping the old furnace running. A service call after hours and repair can be $1000 depending if the parts are even available. I know some people repair themselves, but very few and most are just avoiding the inevitable. Your new furnace should have at least 10 years P & L warranty. If people DON'T CHEAP OUT WITH CONTRACTOR GRADE JUNK and choose a reliable installer new furnaces are every bit as reliable as the old days.

Then there is the inconvenience of the inevitable catastrophic failure, most likely resulting in time off work and another service call. Forget about brand knowledge and dealer preference, most reputable dealers are booked up when it is cold. You have also lost negotiation power as you are in a desperate situation. WAITING FOR A HEAT EXCHAGER TO FAIL IS LIKE DRIVING THE FAMILY CAR UNTIL THE TIRES WEAR OFF OR OTHER MECHANICAL ISSUES ARE IGNORED. It's old, wore out and potentially dangerous. Please be proactive with your families health and safety.

Electrical savings are indeed a factor to be considered, especially if running AC in the summer months. A variable speed blower paired with a staging gas valve can reduce the electrical cost of operation by 70% when compared to other modern furnaces. Compared to a short cycling, over sized beast that many are replacing it could be a savings of several hundred dollars a year.

Last, but certainly not least, is your comfort and piece of mind. A properly installed variable speed furnace will make your home a much nicer place to be. They eliminate short cycling and cold spots, run whisper quiet and circulate healthy fresh air year round.

So lets consider running the old furnace for 10 more years vs buying a new one at $5000. The electrical savings alone would be at least $2500 over 10 years at todays prices. That's a very realistic $250 a year. I would estimate gas savings to be similar but again, when we factor in carbon taxes and inflation it will probably be much more. So we basically break even.

Now consider that the new furnace is completely covered by warranty over those 10 years and the old furnace is, well old. I would wager at least one service call but probably several and some parts. A realistic number would be at least $500 but more likely $1000 plus. Think about the cost of a call out in 9 years.

So for the next 10 years we could enjoy gas savings, electrical savings, a more comfortable home, do a wee bit for the environment and most importantly ensure a safe and healthy living environment for our families OR run a piece of junk furnace into the ground, worry if today is the day, have uncomfortable hot and cold spots throughout the house and pay more in the long run.

If you have chosen a reputable installer, a good brand and have done proper maintenance also consider that the new furnace will last much beyond the break even point.

Anyway, that is way more than 2 cents but you can keep the change and add that to your savings. OP should have his buddy put in a Trane S9V2 and live happily there after.

This is where I am coming from ^^^^. I want to be pro-active in replacing my current furnace, as mentioned it's getting old and it can leave me in a bind if it goes in the middle of the winter. This is why I am doing my research now so that I can make an informed decision this spring without the gun to my head. I just need the old bugger to last till spring.

Dodger.

MK2750
01-09-2018, 01:33 PM
The part about “waiting for a heat exchanger to fail is like driving the family car until the tires wear off” is more than a little hyperbolic. Not every heat exchanger is doomed by bad design to fail. Sure there are many such as Flame Masters and some among more modern designs as well but that does not mean every single heat exchanger in every furnace is doomed to fail. You know full well that well-designed units generally only fail from excess heat cycling such as if the motor fails and it’s bumping off the high limit or if the combination fan & limit is poorly adjusted (for furnaces that old), or even if the filters are left plugged. Given proper install, adjustment and maintenance it’s a crock of hooey to suggest that a failed heat exchanger is inevitable among all models.

Sometimes: sure, of course
Always: Pffft :rolleyes:

I am not suggesting ripping out a good working furnace because it is mid efficient and in fact would advice the opposite however people are clinging to pilot light dinosaurs that should have been gone years ago because their uncle's cousin said it was an awesome furnace.

Suggesting that a furnace will last forever is hooey and waiting for something bad to happen before making a change is ridiculous.

BTW, 90% of the furnaces I encounter have experienced abuse and I am sure your experience is the same. People fail to do any type of maintenance until something bad happens. More often than not it is a wore out limit switch or component that was tripped too often due to infrequent filter changes. The result is a stressed heat exchanger.

Just today I had the rare occurrence of going to a customer's home to give an estimate for a new furnace. As part of our maintenance program, the mid efficient Carrier was working as new and was clean enough to eat out of the fan compartment. Our techs had checked the furnace last year and the annual maintenance is to be done next week (this the reason for the phone call). I provided the quote and informed the customer that I personally would not be replacing the furnace if it were mine.

ren008
01-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Whatever calculations aside its a tough sell to replace something working so well with no issues never mind the multiple horror stories from people each year, usually blown control boards worth hundreds of bucks minimum on these new units that just seem to die for no reason.

I still get mine checked out and cleaned once a year and that has never revealed anything major. Tightening up a bolt here and there to stop squeaks/vibrations and they replaced the belt a number of years ago. Not bad for a 40 year old unit. Always on the filter changes couple times a year as well and at least with this one a guy can do some very basic repairs if need be considering the simplicity of it.

We invested big-time sweat equity in attic insulation, air-sealing, and windows when we moved in which made a huge difference in comfort vs the first winter and with an 1100 sq ft house the gas bill has never really bothered me since then anyways vs when i was growing up and relying on a wood stove for primary heat. :)

dewalt18
01-09-2018, 08:57 PM
Whatever calculations aside its a tough sell to replace something working so well with no issues never mind the multiple horror stories from people each year, usually blown control boards worth hundreds of bucks minimum on these new units that just seem to die for no reason.

I still get mine checked out and cleaned once a year and that has never revealed anything major. Tightening up a bolt here and there to stop squeaks/vibrations and they replaced the belt a number of years ago. Not bad for a 40 year old unit. Always on the filter changes couple times a year as well and at least with this one a guy can do some very basic repairs if need be considering the simplicity of it.

We invested big-time sweat equity in attic insulation, air-sealing, and windows when we moved in which made a huge difference in comfort vs the first winter and with an 1100 sq ft house the gas bill has never really bothered me since then anyways vs when i was growing up and relying on a wood stove for primary heat. :)

For someone who has spent the money on upgrading attic insulation, windows, and doors, why are you running what is likely a conventionally furnace with a draft hood that lets essentially 40% of your purchased natural gas go straight up a flue to outdoors?

Weedy1
01-10-2018, 06:27 AM
This is starting to sound like an episode of "The HVAC Contractor".
Are you guys going to start giving out roses to your potential customers? :love0025:

MK2750
01-10-2018, 09:56 AM
This is where I am coming from ^^^^. I want to be pro-active in replacing my current furnace, as mentioned it's getting old and it can leave me in a bind if it goes in the middle of the winter. This is why I am doing my research now so that I can make an informed decision this spring without the gun to my head. I just need the old bugger to last till spring.

Dodger.

There is a window of opportunity in spring to score a good deal. Most companies do a trade show or two in late winter or early spring and many have a promotional rebate from suppliers or manufacturers for these events.

The heating season is winding down so gone are the desperate folks that thought tomorrow would never come and AC season is still a month or two away.

Surprisingly, many HVAC companies make more money in summer than winter these days as AC sales are very lucrative. If you wait too long the companies will be busy again and not as eager to deal.

When choosing a contractor pay attention to his interest in air flow and measuring of the duct system. Most people believe a system is sized to match the heat loss requirements of the home. They error on the side of caution with a bigger furnace and call it good. In fact, a HVAC system is designed around and completely dependant upon air flow. These are not pumps, they are fans. Only so much volume of air (and the heat that goes with) is going to fit through any given duct system. You can up the BTUs forever and no more heat will be delivered AND your new furnace with be noisy, inefficient and eventually have premature failures. Modifications to the ducting can increase the cost of install but are worth every penny.

One last bit of advice; good furnaces deserve good controllers. Many older homes have only two wires and many installers don't understand the importance of the right thermostat. A staging furnace makes good use of a staging thermostat. It allows the furnace access to real time information so it can provide even heat as advertised. It will work without, but it is literally running blind in the basement and depending on internal timers for staging.

Some top end thermostats communicates down the wires like a telephone rather than sending voltage to induce a response. This allows you to control your humidification system, run your summer fan, run an AC unit, reminds you to change filters, reminds you to book maintenance, you can even call the furnace on your cell phone or allow a technician access to trouble shoot issues with some models; all down a couple or three wires. Most importantly, it gives the furnace the information to stage itself properly and work as designed.

If you are really into high tech stuff, some controllers become part of a smart home system that are linked to lighting, alarms, remote cameras, etc. A little overkill for most but it is the way of the future.

Good luck with your project.

bowshot
01-10-2018, 10:09 AM
I would follow Mikes advice. He knows this stuff.

Terry

ren008
01-10-2018, 10:27 AM
For someone who has spent the money on upgrading attic insulation, windows, and doors, why are you running what is likely a conventionally furnace with a draft hood that lets essentially 40% of your purchased natural gas go straight up a flue to outdoors?

The gas portion of my bill is cheap just checked $759.00 total last year. Leads to a very long time to just break even on a new unit even if I boost efficiency 40+% which a $5000 install is not going to get me as it will likely require ductwork/resizing etc way more cash and work involved etc to do properly...

When it breaks and cant be fixed easily/economically or looks like it's getting unsafe it will be replaced, I think the law says 92% minimum efficiency for any new units anyways.

dodger
01-10-2018, 10:29 AM
I appreciate all the help and comments. This is why I went the AO route for info.

Thanks guys !
Dodger.

Penner
01-10-2018, 07:02 PM
2 Tranes in the house. 1 for upstairs, 1 for mainfloor/basement. Bought new 12 years ago when I built my home. No issues thus far. Super quiet and they heat really well. Dual stage high efficient models XV90's or something like that.

michaelmicallef
01-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Oh ya I would stay away from a furnace with a DC blower. The cost of replacing one when it goes will make you forget how much electricity you saved. I never did the math but 1200 bucks buys a lot of electricity. I was at a call last year where I had to replace both DC blower motors at the same time. But that was due to crapy power supply to the house.

MK2750
01-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Oh ya I would stay away from a furnace with a DC blower. The cost of replacing one when it goes will make you forget how much electricity you saved. I never did the math but 1200 bucks buys a lot of electricity. I was at a call last year where I had to replace both DC blower motors at the same time. But that was due to crapy power supply to the house.

The average annual savings is between $250-$350 depending on if there is an AC involved or not and the size of the home. It would take between 3-5 years to save enough to pay for a replacement blower.

Fortunately most reputable brands offer a 10 year parts warranty so one would be well ahead of the game before having to buy any parts. Most reputable dealers will offer 10 years labour warranty if the unit is properly maintained so as long as you do your home work there is no risk in buying the best. If proper maintenance is done these blowers generally last well beyond the warranty and as an added bonus your home will be much more comfortable versus using a conventional furnace.

t.tinsmith
01-10-2018, 09:31 PM
I am a hvac contractor and a Trane dealer. They are the most reliable out there and I work on them all.