PDA

View Full Version : Insta pot

kinwahkly
01-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Any body have any reviews ? Thinking of getting one .

saddleup
01-06-2018, 09:28 PM
I think u have to wait till july 1 when they legalize it... :sHa_shakeshout:

Huntsman
01-06-2018, 09:31 PM
Love it! Bought at Best Buy in South Edmonton Common the last week b4 Xmas
So far;
elk roast
Moose stew
Cheesecake *to die for*. Wife made it twice so far :D
Roast beef
Baked Beans
Greek style chicken breast

We got the 10 on 1 which will do yogurt and cakes.

Huntsman
01-06-2018, 09:32 PM
I think u have to wait till july 1 when they legalize it... :sHa_shakeshout:

Lol. Huntsman likes this ^

spurly
01-06-2018, 09:37 PM
They are a fantastic item.

Attilathecanuk
01-06-2018, 09:46 PM
My housedragon got one at xmas and it is great! Half the cooking time for anything you can imagine and it tastes great. We are gonna try chicks wings tomorrow

vinny
01-06-2018, 09:50 PM
All good!

Battle Rat
01-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Really happy with how moose roasts and turning out using it.
Way better than regular roasting or crock pot.

spurly
01-06-2018, 09:56 PM
Tons of recipes on the net.
We did the 9 minute spaghetti, so simple but so good.
Hard boiled eggs 3 min.
Pork spareribs, 25 min.

calgarygringo
01-06-2018, 10:15 PM
We picked one up from Amazon on their Black Friday sale and the wife uses it almost every day. She has cooked a roast, chicken, veggies and other stuff I am not even sure what it was. Everything is quick, juicy and this thing cleans up in a snap as that is my part.
Great if you work and don't have a ton of time to cook meals or just want things to real yummy. One of better $90 purchases.

Termender
01-06-2018, 10:24 PM
What's the difference between it and a normal pressure cooker?

WHMS
01-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Love it! Bought at Best Buy in South Edmonton Common the last week b4 Xmas
So far;
elk roast
Moose stew
Cheesecake *to die for*. Wife made it twice so far :D
Roast beef
Baked Beans
Greek style chicken breast

We got the 10 on 1 which will do yogurt and cakes.

Tell me more about this cheesecake?!

We use ours all the time; soups, stews, ribs..... Love it!

Huntsman
01-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Tell me more about this cheesecake?!

We use ours all the time; soups, stews, ribs..... Love it!

Ill ask the Mrs in the morning ;)

troutbug
01-06-2018, 10:43 PM

More safety features. Has digital settings, timer etc

fordtruckin
01-06-2018, 11:06 PM
Definitely not what I was expecting when I opened this three. I was thinking something a little greener and skunky smelling.

slough shark
01-07-2018, 12:48 AM
Wife got one a few weeks ago, she has been using it a fair bit, check back in a few months whether or not the level of usage continues to be used all the time or wears off because it's no longer a novelty

crazy_davey
01-07-2018, 01:03 AM
Heard lots of good things from family and friends over the holidays. Thinking of getting one soon. Interested in hearing more about others thoughts.

troutbug
01-07-2018, 05:46 AM
Heard lots of good things from family and friends over the holidays. Thinking of getting one soon. Interested in hearing more about others thoughts.

I was skeptical as I never liked pressure cookers. To many horror stories. The instapot has a few safety features that make it so if something happens its 99.9% user error.

There are a few stories going around where people are blaming instapots for incidents but those have been squashed as it was knock off units or people doing things like not bleeding pressure and forcing the lid open.

My wife has done ribs, pork and beef roasts, chicken. All came out tender and cooked amazingly fast.

It cant compare to my smoked meats but its pretty tasty and quick meals

meandmyboy
01-07-2018, 05:47 AM

What troutbug said, also its not just a pressure cooker. 8 to 10 other different functions depending on the model. There is also a few different sizes around. She said she wish she went bigger!!! I laughed :argue2:
She says it works good! Food has tasted great.

Spidey
01-07-2018, 08:37 AM
We just got one and so far all I've tried is pork side ribs. For a cheaper cut of ribs, they were fall-off-the-bone amazing. The only additional thing I did was finish them under the broiler with BBQ sauce to give them a bit of a crisp finish. Next time, I might finish them in the smoker.

horsepower
01-07-2018, 08:44 AM
My wife bought me the 6qt a few years ago and I enjoyed using it so much I just added the 8qt model. Roasts are fast, wings are quick and easy, ribs fall off the bone and very simple to use. The slow cooker function makes soups and stew a snap and it has 3 levels of heat. I have not used the rice cooker as we have one. Did steam a Christmas pudding for the first time and turned out fantastic.

I have many other older pressure cookers/canners (all american) that are used for cooking in bulk but I prefer now to use the instant pot. The digital aspect makes cooking very easy. If your cook time is 8 hours and you are gone for 10, set the delay for 2 hours and it is ready for when you return. If you are a bit late, not to worry as the automatic warmer function follows a cooking cycle keeping things piping hot until you are ready.

I am a fan.

10aciousB
01-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Any body have any reviews ? Thinking of getting one .

My girlfriend got one for Christmas and the thing hasn't had a chance to cool off since. She absolutely loves it, and I'm loving all the delicious meals that come out of it. I say go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

philintheblank
01-07-2018, 09:32 AM
anything that makes the better halfs do more cooking is a good thing. mine has been cooking non stop since she got it. they are awesome

Jays toyz
01-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Loving mine. 3 lb frozen deer roast done in 90 minutes, the accompanying spuds and carrots, an additional 4 minutes. Gravy made in the same pot. So good and fast. Basmati rice took 3 minutes...

Donkey Oatey
01-07-2018, 09:44 AM
Love our instant pot. Use it all the time. Best thing about it is it can cook from frozen. Frozen chicken breasts from counter to plate in about 45 min.

Also like that you can brown in it. We use it 3 to 4 times a week. Especially good when both work and don't have a lot of time to prep for supper. Little over an hour for a roast that is awesome.

Gray Wolf
01-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Basically it's really just a programmable pressure cooker with a few extra bells & whistles. With the stupidly ridiculous price they charge for them, I'll definitely pass! Besides, we got more than enough bloody appliances clustering up our countertops already.

Barnum said it best - https://lonewolfsaga.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/14ia6z.jpg?w=405&h=506

TomP
01-07-2018, 03:11 PM
They are awesome. Got my wife one for Xmas and she uses it steady..roasts are done very fast and taste great. We also got an acti-fry which I think is the best appliance in our house...chicken wings cooked from frozen in 20 minutes..no flipping or turning it does it all. We like food in our house if you can't tell haha

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 03:21 PM
More safety features. Has digital settings, timer etc

So is this the cooker that can both pressure cook and slow cook and everything in between?

troutbug
01-07-2018, 03:33 PM
So is this the cooker that can both pressure cook and slow cook and everything in between?

Yes, it won me over and I love it.

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Yes, it won me over and I love it.

Must be something to it. I am into bone broth and every time I mention it I get asked if I use an insta pot:)

Jamie
01-07-2018, 04:15 PM
I received a crock pot for christmas and was thinking of exchanging it for this.Thoughts on a single guy using it?

troutbug
01-07-2018, 04:16 PM
I received a crock pot for christmas and was thinking of exchanging it for this.Thoughts on a single guy using it?

Way faster than a crock pot if you use the pressure cooking settings. A big beef roast was finished in 70 minutes and that was it being well done. It is great for single guys as its hard to wreck a meal with it lol

Donkey Oatey
01-07-2018, 04:28 PM

In a heart beat. With the instant pot it is also a slow cooker. Love soups in it, really pushes the flavours in being a pressure cooker. Small amount, large amount does it all.

FCLightning
01-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Basically it's really just a programmable pressure cooker with a few extra bells & whistles. With the stupidly ridiculous price they charge for them, I'll definitely pass! Besides, we got more than enough bloody appliances clustering up our countertops already.

Barnum said it best - https://lonewolfsaga.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/14ia6z.jpg?w=405&h=506

Daughter got one and after using for a bit she is shedding the pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, Foreman Grill and maybe some other appliances that this one item replaces.

I really liked the cheesecake she made in it.

srs123
01-07-2018, 05:20 PM
I got one for christmas. Yes i love it.

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 06:52 PM

:thinking-006:

I would say that because of the testimony of many here, that PT was not talking about this product!

MinMoose
01-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Wife did some moose ribs in ours a few weeks back. They were awesome.

Scott h
01-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Although I was skeptical about another appliance that would just gather dust, this one has been used a ton since we got it a few months ago. Probably the number one item so far has been the home made yogurt that has displaced the store bought variety in our house.

Jeron Kahyar
01-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Great kitchen item. It has replaced my rice cooker, slow cooker, and traditional pressure cooker (that just collected dust). Use it at least a couple times a week.

I bought two extra silicone seals for it when they were on sale. They tend to absorb smells after a while. The 3 seals are now color coded (Blue - baking, Red - Spicy, and Clear - Neutral flavor foods).

It is set to be finished cooking a pork roast for me when I get home this evening even.

Gande
01-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Anyone willing to post some pics of their meals/creations from their insta pot? I'm curious to see what the yogurt and cheese cake look like.

gunmum
01-10-2018, 12:15 AM
Got the 8 quart 7 function instant pot for Christmas LAST YEAR and still using it like crazy- at least twice a week if not way more. I wouldn't recommend getting anything smaller because this thing is a powerhouse that can cook multiple things at once. My favorites for this are the solid frozen whole chicken that comes out falling off the bone in 45 minutes- take it out and make gravy right in the pot with the drippings, best ribs ever, creamer potatoes, beets, scalloped potatoes, succulent ham, bone broth in only 4 hours! and soups, spaghetti squash, chili, kahlua pork (the reason I asked for it). Rice/risotto...
And yogurt..

And many others.
Basically I Google whatever I want to make with the words instant pot and there's a recipe!
The only feature I wish mine had was the pressure canning but otherwise it's my favorite thing in the kitchen!

Stinky Buffalo
01-10-2018, 01:59 PM
The 3 quart (mini) one will be on sale at Canadian Tire this week for $89.99.

tallieho
01-10-2018, 05:32 PM
35 minutes for baby back ribs, 3 racks at one time all ended up fall of the bone...

camshaft
01-11-2018, 12:41 AM
Made a cheesecake in it yesterday. I think the recipe called for 26 minute cooking time. To do it over I would increase time a couple minutes...maybe to 28. The outer edges had the proper consistency and firmness, but I think the inside is a little too soft.

All in all a great first attempt lol. I was skeptical at first, but now Im a believer. Its a remarkable machine!

calgarygringo
01-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Just another tip for you baker types don't forget due to our higher altitudes here in Alberta especially Calgary times will need to be adjusted slightly for that. I have had a few bakers tell me over the years that any of the times on baking recipes are off out here. My wife has done that and seems to work better.

Huntsman
01-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Just ordered one, Pick it up after work. Now I can cook supper and dessert all at once :sHa_shakeshout:
Thanks for the heads-up S.B.

fishtank
01-11-2018, 06:15 PM
i was there for the pot this morning( its lot smaller then i thought) end up walking out with a big buddy heater its on sale too .

Sitkaspruce
01-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Anybody use any of the other Electronic Pressure cookers made by companies like T-fal, Starfrit, Breville and a few Chinese models?

I had no idea on all the different models out there in the market. Lots to chose from, lots of research to be done.

Cheers

SS

Huntsman
01-11-2018, 10:26 PM

Picked it up after work. Washed is out. Added diced moose steak, soy sauce, frozen pineapple chunks, a shake of Garlic Plus and more garlic powder, a pinch of ginger and 1/2 cup of sprouted rice and 1/2 cup of filtered water. 25 minutes later i was chowing down on sweet n sour moose! The meat just dell apart. Delicious. And rice was cooked to perfection.
3 quarts is perfect when cooking for just me. There was lots leftover for lunch.

Gray Wolf
01-11-2018, 11:28 PM

:thinking-006:

I would say that because of the testimony of many here, that PT was not talking about this product!

I would say that because of the testimony of many here, that PT WAS talking about this product! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good ol' PT Barnum - https://lonewolfsaga.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/14ia6z.jpg?w=405&h=506 :47b20s0:

Warrior
01-12-2018, 10:13 AM
MOONSHINE..... Yup, you can make shine in this baby.... Apple, Peach... This thing is AMAZING.... next to slice bread that is...

handofzeus
01-12-2018, 05:14 PM
I have found that items that 'do everything' rarely do ALL things well. Like the breadmaker I bought years ago and used for two weeks and now resides in the basement!

calgarygringo
01-12-2018, 05:25 PM
So far so good in our place. Cannot do literally everything but does a great job as a pressure cooker and a crockpot and bunch of other things we have not tried yet. The yuys that invented it are from Canada and from the interview I saw they tried yo build this thing to do it all, programmable and safe as far as the pressure cooker worriers go. They did say small appliances have not changed much over the years and to stay tuned as they have more in the works.

Stinky Buffalo
01-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Picked it up after work. Washed is out. Added diced moose steak, soy sauce, frozen pineapple chunks, a shake of Garlic Plus and more garlic powder, a pinch of ginger and 1/2 cup of sprouted rice and 1/2 cup of filtered water. 25 minutes later i was chowing down on sweet n sour moose! The meat just dell apart. Delicious. And rice was cooked to perfection.
3 quarts is perfect when cooking for just me. There was lots leftover for lunch.

Okay, now you're just making me hungry! :lol:

I'm holding out for the bigger ones to go on sale... Been teasing IncrediGirl that we need one of these while we wait for a part for our broken oven to arrive. :love0025:

Thankfully, we have the Louisiana Grill to fall back on. :sHa_shakeshout:

Newview01
01-12-2018, 07:16 PM
We have had one for just over a week now. It has been used every day. ‘Nuff said.

Newview01
01-12-2018, 07:17 PM
MOONSHINE..... Yup, you can make shine in this baby.... Apple, Peach... This thing is AMAZING.... next to slice bread that is...

Recipes please.

huntsfurfish
01-12-2018, 07:42 PM
So far so good in our place. Cannot do literally everything but does a great job as a pressure cooker and a crockpot and bunch of other things we have not tried yet. The yuys that invented it are from Canada and from the interview I saw they tried yo build this thing to do it all, programmable and safe as far as the pressure cooker worriers go. They did say small appliances have not changed much over the years and to stay tuned as they have more in the works.

Like the idea. Sounds good, but....

Im waiting for the 2020 model.:)

Rockman
01-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Got one too, use it regularly. It's great!

Warrior
01-12-2018, 08:47 PM
Ingredients
10 Pint Sized Canning Jars w/Lids & Rings (sterilized)

3/4 cup White Sugar
1 cup Light Brown Sugar
64 oz Apple Juice
64 oz Apple Cider
1 1/2 cups Everclear
10 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Tbsp Mulling Spice (in a coffee filter tied off)
Steps
Combine everything EXCEPT the Everclear in the Instant Pot
(apple juice, apple cider, both sugars, cinnamon sticks & mulling spice)
Set on Saute mode, let pot heat up stirring occasionally.
Once sugars are dissolved place lid on, place in sealing position.
Pressure Cook for 45 minutes; Natural Pressure Release.
Once the batch has cooled completely add in the Ever Clear.
Pour mixture into jars & put a cinnamon stick to each jar.
Put lids on & tighten.
Store jars in a cool dark place.
Can be consumed right away, but will get better with age.
Notes
PLEASE USE CAUTION WHEN USING EVERCLEAR...IT'S HIGHLY FLAMMABLE.
Please note that the Everclear is NOT being pressure cooked. It's added after the mixture is cooled.
You can substitute the Everclear with any type of alcohol you want (vodka, rum, brandy, tequila etc)

Recipes please.

Dewey Cox
01-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Any recipes for rum and coke?

fishduck
01-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Had one for years before they were mainstream. I guess I'm a hipster.

We mostly use ours for rice and my wife uses it for making yogurt using the yogurt function. Is amazing for when you forget to cook a stew or something and the 60 min pressure cooking makes it taste as though its been slow cooking for 8 hours.

I highly recommend one.

horsepower
01-14-2018, 08:24 PM
Saute onions, garlic, celery for 5 minutes
Add other stuff. Chopped potatoes. Carrots. Sausage. Red peppers, pearl barley, misc grains. etc..
Add large diced tomatoes.
I added 2ish cups of water/or stock as it looked a bit thick.
Pressure cook 20 minutes on manual and allow to depressurize naturally
Add salt, pepper. To taste.

Delicious. Took less than an hour which I consider quick as I did not soak grains beforehand and they came out perfect. This is my first pressure cook soup and I will be doing more.

Warrior
01-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Looks amazing... I just got one last week.... Have done the heard boiled eggs, made a donair meat loaf, (then cooled and sliced to dry for donairs), beef stroganoff, and today hutterite chicken and mashed taters....

Saute onions, garlic, celery for 5 minutes
Add other stuff. Chopped potatoes. Carrots. Sausage. Red peppers, pearl barley, misc grains. etc..
Add large diced tomatoes.
I added 2ish cups of water/or stock as it looked a bit thick.
Pressure cook 20 minutes on manual and allow to depressurize naturally
Add salt, pepper. To taste.

Delicious. Took less than an hour which I consider quick as I did not soak grains beforehand and they came out perfect. This is my first pressure cook soup and I will be doing more.

Hillbilly 12
01-14-2018, 09:43 PM
What's the best model to get?

fishtank
01-15-2018, 05:01 PM
What's the best model to get?
the biggest one you can find... i think its 8qt

Hillbilly 12
01-15-2018, 05:09 PM
the biggest one you can find... i think its 8qt

Ok thanks, I will go hunting

fishtank
01-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Ok thanks, I will go hunting

duo pot model keep a eye out for sales they go on sale for under 100 superstore was selling them for 89 couple month back

Sitkaspruce
01-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Could not find a Duo 6 anywhere near me or even on-line for a good price.

Ended up with a Cosori 8 quart from Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075CF4C3Y/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1

Interested to see how this all works!!!

Cheers

SS

metallurgynerd
01-20-2018, 06:53 AM
I can see why owners of the Instant Pot love it and the many testimonials here speak for themselves. But I just wanted to offer a slightly different take on it. I looked hard at the Instant Pot and decided to go with a more conventional stovetop pressure cooker, in my case the F*a*g*or Duo 10qt, for the following reasons:

I didn't need the delay start/timer feature. My wife stays at home and cooks most weekdays and I cook most weekends. We're around, don't need the timer.

I wasn't trying to replace several other devices, just wanted a pressure cooker but didn't want to haul out the aluminum monster that fits 14 quart sized jars (which we also own for canning).

I wanted a little more capacity than 8qts. Sounds strange I know, but once you account for the maximum fill line, the 10qt F*a*g*or Duo gives me a little extra room for a bigger batch of whatever.

The electronic pressure cookers operate at a little lower pressure and therefore lower temperature. Probably not enough to make much of a difference, but it bugged me. I'm an engineer and work with pressure vessels and after reviewing the design and safety features of the ***or Duo I had no concerns about safety, over-pressure, etc.

My stovetop cooker has no electronic parts to crap out on me one day. Sure it has a seal like all of them, but that's pretty cheap and easy to replace. If you're a prepper-type (I'm not really) it's nice to know you could pressure cook over any heat source without needing electricity. Could even take it camping and use on a camp stove.

We've had our F*a*g*or Duo 10qt for over a year now and also use it multiple times a week. Love it. It's also tall enough that you can fit a couple of quart-sized jars in and use it for canning, unlike the electronic ones that are generally limited to pint-sized jars.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy pressure cooking with whatever device works for you!

omega50
01-20-2018, 07:25 AM
They are awesome. Got my wife one for Xmas and she uses it steady..roasts are done very fast and taste great. We also got an acti-fry which I think is the best appliance in our house...chicken wings cooked from frozen in 20 minutes..no flipping or turning it does it all. We like food in our house if you can't tell haha

Tell us more.

We were gifted an Actifry Vista for Xmas.

So far a POS

Wife tried Fried Asian Dumpings-Turned into mashed burnt dumplings.

Quite a feat-Never seen this achieved in traditional appliances:sHa_shakeshout:

Hot air popper with a stirring arm:budo:

owlhoot
01-20-2018, 08:50 AM
Tell us more.

So far a POS

Exactly Omega50, We got one when they first came out and it was on Kijiji soon after that

speedfreak
01-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Tell us more.

So far a POS

Definitely no expert but seen some pretty good things done. Google or Facebook has lots of ideas. Mostly the paddle comes out for lots of things and cooking times are less than conventional methods.

omega50
01-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Definitely no expert but seen some pretty good things done. Google or Facebook has lots of ideas. Mostly the paddle comes out for lots of things and cooking times are less than conventional methods.

Gifted to us by a close family friend who comes over for Sunday Dinners twice a month so I am willing to try to get some value out of it for her sake.

She will be looking for it on the counter so I have to try to make it work.

I just decluttered last few months during a big reno-now I have a large orb on my counter taking up lots of real estate.:scared:

Basically a very high speed dehydrator removing food moisture at a rather alarming rate:sHa_shakeshout:

Every I stand against as a chef, I usually try to preserve and increase yield

The insta-pot at least makes more sense.

IR_mike
01-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Gifted to us by a close family friend who comes over for Sunday Dinners twice a month so I am willing to try to get some value out of it for her sake.

She will be looking for it on the counter so I have to try to make it work.

I just decluttered last few months during a big reno-now I have a large orb on my counter taking up lots of real estate.:scared:

Basically a very high speed dehydrator removing food moisture at a rather alarming rate:sHa_shakeshout:

Every I stand against as a chef, I usually try to preserve and increase yield

The insta-pot at least makes more sense.

A freind of mine got one as a work bonus and claims the best thing it makes is boneless seasoned pork chops.

Jays toyz
01-24-2018, 04:02 PM
Actifry (even the family size,) is only good for 2 people. Maybe 3

srs123
01-24-2018, 05:53 PM
I just made some pork ribs in it. Marinated over night then cooked for 25 minutes and let it depressurize on its own. I then browned it in the oven with more BBQ sauce for 20 minutes

I have never had pork ribs this tender. And sooooo fast

wcbarker
01-24-2018, 06:21 PM
If you are thinking of getting one stop. Just go get it you wont be disappointed
Maybe we should start a recipie thread????

Huntsman
01-24-2018, 06:47 PM
I just made some pork ribs in it. Marinated over night then cooked for 25 minutes and let it depressurize on its own. I then browned it in the oven with more BBQ sauce for 20 minutes

I have never had pork ribs this tender. And sooooo fast

I’ll have to give ribs a try. I just made up a batch of Wendy’s chilli then rice.

srs123
01-24-2018, 07:39 PM
If you are thinking of getting one stop. Just go get it you wont be disappointed

Yesssss, recipe thread plz

srs123
01-24-2018, 07:40 PM
I’ll have to give ribs a try. I just made up a batch of Wendy’s chilli then rice.

You won't regret it, 25 minutes in there and you got perfect ribs

omega50
06-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Mrs Omega came home with one this week-so I have been experimenting.
Today I will attempt extracting crabapple juice for cider and Jelly making.

Made a Chicken stock yesterday, went well except it was 35 minutes before it got hot enough to pressurize and start the countdown timer.

That is the great unknown with this machine.

TomP
06-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Tell us more.

So far a POS

Update on the acti-fry...it is a POS. Died a few months ago...

moosemad
09-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Cambodian Tire has on Insta Pot for $80 this weekend, starting tomorrow. $50 off reg price. Good price to check it out, its 6 quart.

javlin101
09-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Tell us more.

So far a POS

Please tell me you did not put dumplings in the bottom bowl of an ActFri cooker and call it a POS for your error. We have been using a 2 in 1 for 2 years and have done fried chicken, pork chops, steak, wings etc. All come out great and very moist. Perfect cooker for 2 people. Less than an hour for crispy but moist fried chicken and potatoes wedges with little to no oil.

happy honker
09-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Cambodian Tire has on Insta Pot for $80 this weekend, starting tomorrow. $50 off reg price. Good price to check it out, its 6 quart.

Is the 6Qt a good size to get?

Donkey Oatey
09-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Is the 6Qt a good size to get?

The 6QT is a great size. Does our family of four with lots of leftovers.

Zip-in-Z
09-08-2018, 12:43 PM
The smaller 6 qt Instant Pot is on sale now at Cdn Tire Save 35% Regular Price: $129.99 Sale: $79.99 got 2 one for a X-Mass present.

D.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/instant-pot-duo-pressure-cooker-6-qt-0432672p.html#srp

Spidey
09-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Just made a split pea and ham soup (with onions, potatoes and carrots). Turned out great. Can't believe how the pressure cooker can cook down dry lentils in less than an hour.

Who Da Fisherman
09-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Used mine this weekend to do sweet & sour moose meatballs, wife said it was the best ever :)
WDF

omega50
09-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Currently making Crab Apple wine processing the crabs for juice in the Instant Pot.
Crabs in pot-Water to just below max line-manual 4 minutes-release and strain into primary fermenter. Getting about 2 L per cycle and I need 23l so this will take a while-

I have a few random years worth of Crab Apple jelly in the cold room so I am processing one jar with each cycle to give flavour and sugar for the ferment. Once done juicing I will test my potentials and make a final sugar adjustment before adding Pectic Enzyme and Yeast

https://i.postimg.cc/15jBq2qr/P9180001.jpg (https://postimg.cc/PP11G6KC)

https://i.postimg.cc/13KjNJym/P9180002_1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/pmpZwQ94)

moosemad
09-18-2018, 07:51 PM

So, did anyone start a recipe thread? Been searching and can,t find one. I know you can only do so many things with one but we just got ours and are looking for good recipes.

BloodHound70
09-19-2018, 07:23 AM
So, did anyone start a recipe thread? Been searching and can,t find one. I know you can only do so many things with one but we just got ours and are looking for good recipes.

was going to ask the same thing. Finally used mine the other day for a roast. These things are unreal. Want some good tried recipes to keep using it.

BH

Au revoir, Gopher
09-19-2018, 08:10 AM

You mean this one?

ARG

covey ridge
09-19-2018, 08:12 AM

Got one about 6 weeks ago. I was not interested in the recipes that came with it.
I found 100s of really good recipes by searching Instant Pot and whatever I wanted to cook. Instant Pot makes bone broth super easy and I found that most stuff that can be made in a slow cooker can be made way faster and just as good or more often better in the IP.

Stinky Buffalo
09-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Keep hinting to IncrediGirl that we should get one.

She usually responds with, "Oh, just what I need - MORE clutter in the kitchen!" :lol:

She'll come around. I just know it. :)

bat119
09-19-2018, 08:30 AM

She usually responds with, "Oh, just what I need - MORE clutter in the kitchen!" :lol:

My thoughts exactly until I tried it we use ours 4-5 times a week for everything, I bought mine to replace a slow cooker that cratered. For recipes just google instant pot - anything there's a recipe for it.

Don't throw out that ham bone!
Split pea soup in 40 mins instead of hours

https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/instant-pot-split-pea-soup-ham-bone/

aulrich
09-19-2018, 08:46 AM

If you already have a slow cooker just say it will replace that. we got one a month ago and there are two slow cookers waiting in the garage for a trip to the Sally Anne.

Stinky Buffalo
09-19-2018, 09:02 AM
If you already have a slow cooker just say it will replace that. we got one a month ago and there are two slow cookers waiting in the garage for a trip to the Sally Anne.

Well, that’s one of the issues... Our last slow cooker was unceremoniously cast from her presence after she had a negative experience with it... :o

covey ridge
09-19-2018, 09:10 PM

In our house it replaced a slow cooker and an old style pressure cooker. I never felt relaxed using the old pressure cooker. I was afraid to leave it unattended for even a minute and I constantly had to fiddle with burner temperature to keep the pressure steady.

Being a vegetarian my wife did not seem to appreciate my new toy, that was until she saw how quick and easy it was to turn apples into apple sauce.

For me, being a meat eater I know I can use other methods and take hours of low and slow to convert a fine chunk of beef into something really spectacular...BUT when it comes to pot roast, chicken, stew or other comfort food it can be ready in short order and after the initial prep, the Instant Pot does not require much attention once the cook is started.

My only regret is Instant Pot now has a model that allows adjustment of the temperature to do sous vide.

omega50
09-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Making a Beef Dip in the Instant Pot at this very moment.
Smells amazing
https://i.postimg.cc/pTkyPkC9/P9200001.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5YYf3BZ1)

TimeOff
09-20-2018, 05:17 PM
Making a Beef Dip in the Instant Pot at this very moment.
Smells amazing
https://i.postimg.cc/pTkyPkC9/P9200001.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5YYf3BZ1)

Please share the steps!

bat119
09-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Please share the steps!

And the recipe!

omega50
09-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Brown small roast seasoned with a rub of 1tsp each salt, pepper and garlic powder in a splash of oil on Saute setting and brown well on all sides.
Remove roast and saute 1 med sliced onion in a bit more oil until well browned while stirring well to remove browned on bits from bottom of the pot.

Deglaze with 1/2 cup red wine til reduced by half stirring well. Turn Saute off.
Add 4 cups low-salt beef broth and 1/2 cup of low salt soya sauce
Add 1 bay leaf

Let er buck about 101 minutes.
25 minutes natural release

I made it around noon and let it hold warm til dinner

I shred right in the pot-tongs onto split toasted Dutch Crunch rolls topping with your favorite white cheese.
Dip the jus into a dipping bowl

omega50
09-20-2018, 07:35 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/KYpzHb71/P9200001.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rdWMDvPT)
https://i.postimg.cc/wvtvKrF0/P9200002.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Fd4m3DML)

bat119
09-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the recipe I'm going to try that with a moose roast as soon as we bag one...Only a few weeks to go

nast70
12-10-2018, 11:07 AM
My wife has one on her Christmas list this year. She want s the 8 quart model. That seems stupid large for just the 3 of us. I am looking at the 6 quart. Any thoughts about going 8 or 6? I can't see us doing turkeys or anything extra large, just smaller roasts, ribs, chilis, soups etc.
And to those who have had one for a while, do you still use it, or has the novelty worn off?

Weedy1
12-10-2018, 11:16 AM
My wife has one on her Christmas list this year. She want s the 8 quart model. That seems stupid large for just the 3 of us. I am looking at the 6 quart. Any thoughts about going 8 or 6? I can't see us doing turkeys or anything extra large, just smaller roasts, ribs, chilis, soups etc.
And to those who have had one for a while, do you still use it, or has the novelty worn off?

I have the 6 quart for three in the family. If I were to buy again it would be the 8 quart. I like to make multiple meals at a time and freeze them. An 8 quart is also more suitable for cooking chickens.

omega50
12-10-2018, 11:24 AM

I would get the 8. May seem large, but remember that the working capacity is only about 2/3 of that 8 quarts IIRC

The novelty has not worn off at all. We are 2 people and have the 8 quart.
Just don't focus on how fast it cooks because the reality is that the short cooking times starts only after it comes to pressure and it takes time to release the pressure safely.
My Instant Pot corn on the cob only cooks 1-2 minutes, but total time is closer to 20-25 minutes with release-so would be quicker in an open pot.

bat119
12-10-2018, 11:39 AM
The novelty hasn't worn off we use ours for whole meals as well as potatoes, and vegetables almost daily, go with the 8 qt. bigger is always better.

Try corn on the cob it comes out perfect

nast70
12-10-2018, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far:happy0034:

Nyksta
12-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Had the 6qt. Sold it and bought the 8. Can just perfectly fit 4 racks of pork back ribs in the 8.

omega50
12-10-2018, 04:44 PM
My bad-Just checked our pot and it is only the 6 quart. Sometimes wish it was bigger.

The 8 quart models I believe have some additional functions-Yogurt setting that is not available on the 6 quart. So check before you buy in case she had her heart set on a yogurt function. Wish ours did so I could double duty cheese making in it

Huntsman
12-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Doing up some chicken breast, rice and veg in a chicken broth right now.

yukon254
12-10-2018, 06:26 PM
We got the big Insta Pot this fall...like most we love it. Best appliance we own. Makes the best oatmeal I've ever had. Good for moose ribs too!

Huntsman
12-10-2018, 06:40 PM
We got the big Insta Pot this fall...like most we love it. Best appliance we own. Makes the best oatmeal I've ever had. Good for moose ribs too!

Yes. Did the ribs last year. Delish!!
Haven’t done oatmeal yet. Good idea.
I made the best Pho broth with mine too.

covey ridge
12-11-2018, 10:27 AM

I have the 6 and for the most part it is just for me as my wife is vegetarian. I save bones from chickens, steaks and chop etc and make bone broth. For that I would prefer the 8 to the 6. I can see me owning 2 instant pots so that everything does not have to be a one pot meal.

Au revoir, Gopher
12-11-2018, 01:54 PM
I have the 6 and for the most part it is just for me as my wife is vegetarian. I save bones from chickens, steaks and chop etc and make bone broth. For that I would prefer the 8 to the 6.

That made me chuckle... my stock pot is 15 litres and a lot of the time I end up using the 5.5 litre pasta pot for overflow :) Did I mention I like soup?

ARG

omega50
03-07-2019, 10:45 PM
German Beef and Dill Pickle Soup on the menu Sat

Spidey
03-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Just finishing off the beef bourguignon we made a couple days ago.

I now own two pots. The instant pot Duo 6 quart and the Starfrit 8 quart. You can find the Starfrit on sale for under $100 at CDN Tire.

The starfrit has all the functions (yogurt, etc.) as well as a non stick pot. They are both excellent electric pressure cookers. I'm planning to try and make a cheesecake in the Starfrit soon...