PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys feel about electric shavers?

ETOWNCANUCK
01-07-2018, 09:35 AM
I am so tired of the knicks and cuts that comes with disposable razors.

I’ve followed the threads about other types of shaving with different wet blades.

But what about the electric ones?

TylerThomson
01-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Don't shave. Problem solved.

TylerThomson
01-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Seriously though I had 2 different electric shavers hated both. Best I've used are clippers that came in a dog grooming kit for doing their paws. Doesn't make you baby smooth but it's close enough.

pgavey
01-07-2018, 09:44 AM
If you have a half hr to spare they work ok.

fallen1817
01-07-2018, 10:01 AM
I find the Philips One Blade does a good job at cleaning up my neck, for the most part. Better than any other electric razor I've used.

I usually just use a disposable 5-blade for a good shave, and get ~1-2 months per blade. Maybe my neck is just used to dull blades, but I can't remember the last time i nicked myself.

Blastoff
01-07-2018, 10:02 AM
I use both, but don't have a problem with nicks. Electric is only for a quick shave and go.

catnthehat
01-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Even though I have more than a few long scars on my face I don't seem to have much problem using a straight razor .
I also have an electric but only use it if I am in a hurry and it is not nearly as close a shave as a good hot shave .
Cat

hogie
01-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Get a double edge safety razor. Way better shave then any of the multiple blade crap in the stores. Much better shave, less irritation.

Rockwell makes a nice adjustable one, find which setting and blade works the best.

Bit more expensive up front but I use a blade for 3 shaves including my head. Blades $20 for 100.

I have used electric but not really a fan, takes too long and not very good on my face.

last minute
01-07-2018, 10:20 AM
How do you guys feel about electric shavers?I tried it once never again .

lmtada
01-07-2018, 10:32 AM
I use both, but don't have a problem with nicks. Electric is only for a quick shave and go.

Agree. Nothing shaves closer than a blade. But quick work (daily) use electric.

3blade
01-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Depends if you want (or have to be) clean shaven. electrics work ok but are time consuming. Less skin problems than a razor for sure.

Personally I don't want a close shave, I use the iStubble and it's awesome. No nicks, cuts, or razor rash. Closest setting leaves a 5 o'clock shadow, longest setting works as a beard trimmer, and can do anything in between

HighlandHeart
01-07-2018, 10:38 AM
X2 on the safety razor, next best thing to not shaving at all.

JustBen
01-07-2018, 10:40 AM
In my experience, an electric razor is the most expensive and least effective way to shave. Never again.

Piker
01-07-2018, 11:12 AM
I have used a philishave electric for 45 years with no problems. I change the blades every three yrs. or so. My whiskers are soft and it takes maybe 3 minutes to shave and it plenty close for me. I am on my third one in that time so they are fairly expensive but no mess no clean up other than brush out the whiskers.

Selkirk
01-07-2018, 11:39 AM
How do you guys feel about electric shavers? . . .

In the end ... it's all personal. Some facial hair & skin work well with electric shavers, and some don't. You'll never know for sure until you try one. I've been using 'Braun' electric shavers for 40+ years now with no complaints. And I get good results from their entry-level 'Series 3' shavers.

Braun link; https://ca.braun.com/en-ca/male-grooming/shavers-for-men/shavers-for-men

Tip:
Never pay regular retail ... wait for the shavers (and replacement cutters & foils) to come on sale.

Selkirk

Scottmisfits
01-07-2018, 12:23 PM
I bought one this spring for one job I was on. I thought it would save time and space and the stuff I had to carry to the campground washrooms everyday. By the end of that 4 week job I hated it with passion and I will take my double edge, or in a pinch I'll take my mach 3 with me. Never again with shave gel and very hard pressed with the electric. They have made progress by leaps and bounds over what my grandfather used to use, and even my first one 20 odd years ago. But they still can't beat a straight or double edge razor.

owlhoot
01-07-2018, 12:44 PM
I've been gifted a few electrics over the years, They Don't work on my face and seem to irritate my skin.

averagejoe
01-07-2018, 12:51 PM
I went from carts to an electric, one of the more expensive Braun models. I found that it had a tendency to start pulling hairs after a few months but I have thicker facial hair. I used it for roughly 6-7 years and had to replace the blades every 12 months vs the recommended 18 months.

It never cut me or gave me razor burn, but it never gave a close shave and my stubble was always extremely rough.

Your mileage may vary and you will either like them or hate them. A friend introduced me to safety razors and I never looked back after my first shave with one.

propliner
01-07-2018, 01:02 PM
I used a Braun for 15 years and now have the new Panasonic. Both are great shavers. It takes a while to get used to an electric, like maybe a month or so, but after that they are great. You need to figure out how they work and what direction you need for each part of your face. I get a really close shave every time and it has a nice edge trimmer for sideburns etc. Buy a quality razor and you'll learn to love it. The days of shaving cream and water and buying blades is over.

If I try a blade now it's burning pain for hours. It's all what your skin is used to.

John d
01-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Find it pays to spend money for a good one
Under 75 they have very poor quality in my experience

propliner
01-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Find it pays to spend money for a good one
Under 75 they have very poor quality in my experience

Yes, like $200 minimum. I retired my Braun after 15 years and it was still going but the battery had become weak.

Gray Wolf
01-07-2018, 02:25 PM
I think the failure rate is due mostly to people not bothering to learn how to use them properly. Just like a straight razor, there is a technique involved, and it takes a few times to figure it out. And when in doubt, reading the owners manual also helps, but God forbid if anyone does that!

It's a First World Problem; "I want it to work perfectly, and I want it to work NOW!" :sHa_sarcasticlol:

58thecat
01-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Didn't need one in the army, couldn't afford it anyways so still shave the old way....good disposable.

jstubbs
01-07-2018, 02:56 PM
In the end ... it's all personal. Some facial hair & skin work well with electric shavers, and some don't. You'll never know for sure until you try one. I've been using 'Braun' electric shavers for 40+ years now with no complaints. And I get good results from their entry-level 'Series 3' shavers.

This all sounds about the most accurate. I used a Philips electric razor a little when I was younger and my beard didn't grow very thick and it worked great. As I got older and the hairs started getting thicker, I found it just much easier to use a regular Gillette.

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 03:33 PM
I am so tired of the knicks and cuts that comes with disposable razors.

I’ve followed the threads about other types of shaving with different wet blades.

But what about the electric ones?

I prefer the very few nicks and cuts I get with disposable razors than the constant irritation I get with the electrics I have tried.

I am getting my best shaves ever with BIC Silky Touch 3 disposables. Packs of 8 for about $7.00 at No Frills. Comes with pink, and mauve and baby blue and pastel green handles, but I don't care because the shave is good.

Unregistered user
01-07-2018, 03:59 PM
No luck with Remington, Braun or Philishave electrics. I have used Atra and Mach 3 for years, went to the old double edge blades last year after reading a thread on here and talking with the young trendoids at work, cheap and very effective. But now is beard season, I hate shaving.

elk396
01-07-2018, 04:06 PM
just bought the Philips one Blade, it's only $35 and its as close a shave as you can get other than an electric or blade, it leaves very short stubble, but I found electric or straight blade burn the skin too much, this guy works great

kodiakken
01-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Electric shavers give me skin burn something awful.
Pull type all the way or don't shave at all.

gitrdun
01-07-2018, 05:12 PM
I once read on the internet (yeah, I know) that shaving creams contain a component specifically meant to dull the blades. Because I use the Gillette razors with 5 blades that are not cheap, I decided to lather my face with my favorite bar soap (Irish Spring). As of now, I'd say that I'm well over 50 shaves with the same blade, and it still shaves nicely. The only time that I get a cut is if I'm not careful on my chin approaching the lower lip.

kevinhits
01-07-2018, 05:17 PM
I have not used an electric shaver since I was around 20 years of age and hated it. I have used a sensor excel for probably 16 years now and it is the best razor I have ever used...Lather face with decent shaving gel and keep a sharp blade and no issues...Knicked a few times but take your time while shaving...:):)

sewerrat
01-07-2018, 05:18 PM
self propelled or pull type, well pull type for me.

Ken07AOVette
01-07-2018, 06:31 PM
I just switched from a 10 year old Braun series 7 to a series 9 ultrasonic. Best I have ever seen. Have tried lots before Braun won't go back.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the info fellas,
Definitely looking onto my options.

whitefish
01-07-2018, 08:21 PM
I have a 15 year old Phillips rotary and love it. Battery won't hold a charge for long anymore, but still a great razor.

Ken07AOVette
01-07-2018, 08:43 PM
I have a 15 year old Phillips rotary and love it. Battery won't hold a charge for long anymore, but still a great razor.

You know they are changeable, right?

dfarms11
01-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Myself I'm on my 4th philips. I love it, but I'm lazy. I only grab it when I'm doing something else. Sometimes I don't shave everyday either so super close isn't necessary to me. I Don't like taking time in the bathroom to shave. If you want a close shave that lasts all day though, stick with a blade. It'll shave closer.

Sundancefisher
01-07-2018, 09:34 PM
I hate the round blade ones. I like 1 or 2 foil razors.

Before you buy...scope out the replacement blade (cutter and foil) costs.

brslk
01-08-2018, 02:18 AM
I haven't shaved in over a month but when I do, I like a regular disposable. Cheap, expensive... it doesn't matter as long as it only has two blades, maybe three.
I have pretty coarse facial hair and it grows pretty quick. I hate the razors with more than three blades, all they do is clog up faster. The razor is a simple tool and they just keep "updating" it by adding more blades.
I do use an electric trimmer so I don't look like Grizzly Adams.

whitefish
01-09-2018, 12:50 PM
You know they are changeable, right?

I didn't say it was my only razor :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Its been relegated to my travel kit. I have a newer Phillips, but its not as well made as my older one (made in Holland).

ak-71
01-09-2018, 01:30 PM
For some reason both electrical I tried made my skin feel and look as if I used sandpaper and it wasn't even a clean shave. I'd choose any normal disposable over electrical. But I know it works for some.

BloodHound70
01-09-2018, 01:38 PM
I prefer the very few nicks and cuts I get with disposable razors than the constant irritation I get with the electrics I have tried.

I am getting my best shaves ever with BIC Silky Touch 3 disposables. Packs of 8 for about $7.00 at No Frills. Comes with pink, and mauve and baby blue and pastel green handles, but I don't care because the shave is good.

100% agree. The disposable ones work the best for me as well. Very little irritation and is cheap. Had nothing but bad experiences with electric, never again!!

BH

funkman
01-09-2018, 02:28 PM
I don't have to shave everyday anymore, but when I did I used a Braun series 7...the best electric I ever used. Now I get close with a groomer once a week and use the the series 7 to finish up.

Sooner
01-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Electric here, Philips mostly. Keep em clean and new blades and not too bad. Just not an even shave. Some places smooth, some it looks like you didn't shave. If I can go every other day, shaves way closer but I cant. Darn replacement blades are almost as much as just buying a new shaver.

When I tried a razor, man it hurt my face lol. Maybe I didn't keep up with it long enough to get the skin used to an actual close shave. Prefer electric, less mess.

Gonna try a Braun next.

nast70
01-09-2018, 02:44 PM
I had a Braun years ago. Gift through reward points of some kind at work. It was okay, then I was gifted a rotary head Phillips. Worked much better, but you had to fast or the heads got hot enough to burn.
Shelved it went to disposables and haven't looked back. Funny thing is, about 3 years ago I ran out of shaving cream, haven't bought any cream or blades for that matter since. Used various soaps and such for a period, but found just hot water works for me.
Anyone try the Harry's razors? Haven't been mentioned in this thread.

ChickakooKookoo
01-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Nicks and cuts usually come from dull blades. Someone showed me this about a decade ago and I've maybe spent $250 on Gillette Mach whatevers in the years since.

Try this and thank me when you're still using the same disposable in six months - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc

01-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Electrics dont work for me....irritate skin and crappy shave. Wet shave takes all of 3mins max and wifey likes the clean shave:love0025:

raab
01-10-2018, 07:33 PM
I have a Braun Series 3 I got on sale 5 years ago. They're not really that expensive when you consider you can get that kind of mileage out of one with minimal maintenance.

Anyways, for me I use the Electric razor trimmer when the beard gets a bit long. Will trim it down then use the normal trimmer to finish up. If I want a real close shave I'll use a disposable, but for the most part I find the electric works fine and is quick if you use them every day.

Ehgun
01-11-2018, 10:21 PM
I've used Philips 3 head rotaries for 40 yrs...wash face,let dry and use razor in a circular pattern. Don't press too hard(skin rash) and splash face with cool water when finished. Only takes a couple of minutes.

theshaneler
01-11-2018, 10:29 PM
https://imgur.com/biILrjW
this was yesterday's shave. (sorry for the link, i tried to embed the image but it wouldn't show up)

I jumped into the wet shaving rabbit hole about 6 years ago. Started with a safety razor, ended with straight razors. There is no comparison between a traditional shave and modern cartridge / electric razors.

sns2
01-12-2018, 07:04 AM
Seems every face is different. I have gone back and forth between blades and electrics all my adult life, but have been electric for the last 20 or so years. I am a rotary guy though, as foils do not do good on my neck. Everyone's face is different. To me, electrics will never do as good a job on one's neck.

buckbrush
01-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Gillette mach 4 works best for me. I shave every second day and a razor lasts me a month. Cuts good for first few weeks but I'm cheap.

I have only ever cut myself twice while shaving and don't get razor burn even dry shaving. Tried an electric once years ago and got razor burn, almost felt like a friction burn.

I hate shaving and wish I didn't have to.

BuckCuller
01-13-2018, 07:53 AM
Tickles to much where I shave.

happy honker
01-13-2018, 11:58 AM
I have a funny electric shaver story.
I used to have a electric shaver for when I was travelling, never used it at home.
It was a Panasonic, not the greatest shave but got the job done and suited my morning hotel routine perfectly. real convenient.
I'd keep the shaver right beside the bed, and I'd shave first thing in the morning while watching the news on TV, before I even got out of bed...perfect!!

Until...

I guess this trip my luggage got banged up a bit, and I didn't notice that the business end of the shaver had a few real good dings.

When I shaved that morning, it felt a bit rough for sure, but being half asleep, and not in front of a mirror, I didn't take notice until it was too late.

My face looked like I shaved with a rotating cheese grater!!...or lawn mower.

Last time I ever used an electric shaver.

If you get one, always make sure the blades are dent and ding free before putting metal to flesh lol.

MyAlberta
01-13-2018, 01:35 PM
I have a couple electric trimmers and use them for a coarse cut, then follow up with a disposable blade for those ‘clean’ days, which are fewer as I get older. I only get a couple of cuts from the disposables before they dull and nick.

nube
01-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Try shaving in the shower. It is the only place I shave. I put a mirror in there and never have issues. You skin and hair will be softened up and it works well. If I shave outside the shower I have massive issues with real sensitive skin. It works for me

fishduck
01-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Don't shave. Problem solved.

Not an option for us who wear respirators for emergency response. But I do let it grow when I'm off work for a couple of weeks.