PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the fine for....??

Bushmaster
01-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Shooting/hunting too close to an occupied building?

CNP
01-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Shooting/hunting too close to an occupied building?

There isn't a specified fine for everything. Maybe there is in this instance or maybe there isn't. If a court date is involved there is no specified fine and the judge decides.

Gray Wolf
01-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Anyone know the fine for .... Shooting/hunting too close to an occupied building?

OK, I'll bite. :)

Tell us what happened.

Bushmaster
01-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Lol. I knew it was only a matter of time...!! Nope, wasn't me, just heard a story in the coffee shop and questions were asked.

Dick284
01-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Contravention of section 52 of the Wildlife Act will carry a 1 year licence suspension for sure. Dunno about the fine amount.

Gray Wolf
01-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Lol. I knew it was only a matter of time...!! Nope, wasn't me, just heard a story in the coffee shop and questions were asked.

Said the guy who doesn't want us to know what REALLY happened :D

Yaha Tinda
01-07-2018, 03:37 PM
No fine for hunting too cloe to an occupied building.

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 03:46 PM
No fine for hunting too cloe to an occupied building.

The legislation covers discharging firearm on or over occupied land and entering the land for that purpose

elk396
01-07-2018, 04:01 PM
If it's a book whitetail, it doesn't matter how big the fine is.

CNP
01-07-2018, 04:07 PM
The legislation covers discharging firearm on or over occupied land and entering the land for that purpose

Yes but the OP is searching for a "specified" fine amount. If the legislation does not include a "specified" fine for the violation, a judge will decide on the penalty. Specified fines are preferable for minor offences because it keeps people out of court.............but there aren't specified fines for every imaginable infraction.

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Yes but the OP is searching for a "specified" fine amount. If the legislation does not include a "specified" fine for the violation, a judge will decide on the penalty. Specified fines are preferable for minor offences because it keeps people out of court.............but there aren't specified fines for every imaginable infraction.

I know! I was responding to Ya Ha's post when he said
"No fine for hunting too cloe to an occupied building"

catnthehat
01-07-2018, 04:23 PM
If it's a book whitetail, it doesn't matter how big the fine is.

Some people don't care whether it is a book animal or not, but then again some of us would not shoot it if it were outside of the regulations , period, World record or not.
Cat

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 04:26 PM
I have been away from the legal system for well over 20 years. IIRC if an act does not exact a specified penalty the Summary Conviction Act of Alberta may specify the penalty.

I Googled the Summary Conviction Act of Ab and noted that section 7 specified a fine of not more than $2000.00 or imprisonment for not more than 6 months.
I do not know if there is a specified penalty that may be paid to avoid going to court.

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Some people don't care whether it is a book animal or not, but then again some of us would not shoot it if it were outside of the regulations , period, World record or not.
Cat

In any event there is authorization for forfeit of any game obtained illegally.

Even if I thought I could get away with it, I could not enjoy my prize.

Donkey Oatey
01-07-2018, 04:35 PM
All specified penalties in Alberta can be found here http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=2017_063.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779796809&display=html

From the Wildlife Act
52(1) No person shall

(a) discharge a weapon, or

(b) cause a projectile from a weapon to pass

within 200 yards of any occupied building.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) the owner or occupant of, or the person having immediate possession or control of, the land on which the building is situated, or

(b) a person authorized to perform the activity by a person referred to in clause (a).

So according to the tables it is a $100 fine.

catnthehat
01-07-2018, 04:39 PM
In any event there is authorization for forfeit of any game obtained illegally.

Even if I thought I could get away with it, I could not enjoy my prize.

exactly, a lot more at stake than a fine, self respect for one.
Cat

Dick284
01-07-2018, 05:55 PM
All specified penalties in Alberta can be found here http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=2017_063.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779796809&display=html

From the Wildlife Act
52(1) No person shall

(a) the owner or occupant of, or the person having immediate possession or control of, the land on which the building is situated, or

(b) a person authorized to perform the activity by a person referred to in clause (a).

And a 1 year suspension.

https://i.imgur.com/Qa5qLUH.png

Yaha Tinda
01-07-2018, 06:03 PM
From the Wildlife Act
52(1) No person shall

From my grade four English class....

Where does it say hunting?

Dick284
01-07-2018, 06:05 PM
From my grade four English class....

Where does it say hunting?

OP, used hunting/shooting as his phrase.

Synonymous in the eyes of the law.

Yaha Tinda
01-07-2018, 06:10 PM
OP, used hunting/shooting as his phrase.

Synonymous in the eyes of the law.

Certainly isn't.

Dick284
01-07-2018, 06:12 PM
Certainly isn't.

If used with the OP's verbiage it sure is.

And if you've got anything to share other than cryptic double speak, step up and say your piece.

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Certainly isn't.

regs say

hunt any wildlife or discharge any firearm on or over occupied land or enter on such land for the purpose of doing so

Yaha Tinda
01-07-2018, 06:28 PM
regs say

hunt any wildlife or discharge any firearm on or over occupied land or enter on such land for the purpose of doing so

That is not what the OP was referring to.

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Certainly isn't.

Check out

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/acts/w10.pdf

I could not copy and paste but any grade 4 person can scroll down to Section 38(1) and (2)

Iskra
01-07-2018, 06:32 PM
:1041::1041:if it's a book whitetail, it doesn't matter how big the fine is.

covey ridge
01-07-2018, 06:34 PM
That is not what the OP was referring to.

Then enlighten us! What was the OP referring to? and what were you suggesting when you said " No fine for hunting too cloe to an occupied building."

greendrake
01-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Are you facing another illegal hunting fine Derrick Filled your pockets!

NCC
01-07-2018, 09:46 PM
Neighbor 1 turned in neighbor 2 for shooting too close to his house. Neighbor 1's house is on the east side of the road, neighbor 2 was on the west side of the road on land he had permission to hunt, and was aiming west but was within 200m of the neighbor 1's house. Neighbor 2 lost the deer, lost his hunting privileges for a year, and was fined (I don't know how much). Neighbor 1 lost a bunch of respect and his free snow plowing.

F and W took it much more seriously than anything I've tried to report.

CNP
01-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Neighbor 1 turned in neighbor 2 for shooting too close to his house. Neighbor 1's house is on the east side of the road, neighbor 2 was on the west side of the road on land he had permission to hunt, and was aiming west but was within 200m of the neighbor 1's house. Neighbor 2 lost the deer, lost his hunting privileges for a year, and was fined (I don't know how much). Neighbor 1 lost a bunch of respect and his free snow plowing.

There is always more to a story than what is printed and this is not to disparage your account of it...............but does every violation deserve punishment? Two neighbours not being very neighbourly is what I take away from this...............Sounds to be a rural environment and I don't read anything being unduly safe or threatening into this.

NCC
01-08-2018, 07:33 AM
There is nothing more to this story. My cousin owns the land where the violation occurred and one of the neighbors is my uncle. No prior conflicts between the neighbors. In my opinion there was nothing done that deserved a ticket, let alone losing the deer and hunting privileges.

darren32
01-08-2018, 01:54 PM
It can vary by county for "discharge of firearm".
(Shooting, not hunting)

Parkland County Bylaw 11-2011

3. No person shall use or discharge:
3.2 A Firearm that would cause a projectile from the above noted to pass within 183 meters (200 yards) or any occupied building.

Penalty:

https://i.imgur.com/7OVKXrE.jpg

Yaha Tinda
01-08-2018, 04:41 PM

Not to nitpic but I need those 17 meters, it is 183 meters or 200 yards and is in regard to shooting.....not hunting. :)

Ebrand
01-08-2018, 04:57 PM
States 200 yards.

That equals 182.88 meters.