PDA

View Full Version : Customs BANS "Centrifugal Knives"

IronNoggin
01-08-2018, 11:57 AM
The Canadian International Trade Tribunal has decided that all "centrifugal opening knives" are now classified as Prohibited Weapons in Canada.

This was not in response to a perceived problem. It is however a fine example of bureaucratic meddling:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn18-01-eng.html

Shortly after that announcement, I ordered several more from Canadian sources.

I have carried an SOG Twitch XL for as long as I can remember.
And I ain't about to quit. Period.

Cheers,
Nog

3blade
01-08-2018, 12:10 PM
How is it that we have unelected pencil pushers making law?

Kanuckistan. That's why.

They are going to have one hell of a time enforcing this as pretty well every folding knife can be opened in such a manner. I predict a very expensive Supreme Court challenge for whatever poor soul is the royal gestapos next victim of overreach.

CF8889
01-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Am I undetstanding this correct...any folding knife that can be opened by flicking your wrist or using a little knob on the side/back is prohibited?

So the little kershaw assisted open pocket knife my girlfriend uses when camping is now illegal? Jesus...

ETOWNCANUCK
01-08-2018, 12:23 PM
So big ass Rambo type knives are ok,
But most pocket knives are not?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AdZsF45yy9E

tirebob
01-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Such bullcrap... A knife is a knife is a knife. This is really getting ridiculous!! :angry3:

dmcbride
01-08-2018, 12:30 PM
My 7 year old is now a criminal.

averagejoe
01-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Be aware that is only affects customs/border and not actual Canadian law. Customs has been pushing their authority for a long time now.

They have another "Tribunal" decision that lets them adjust pivot screws so they can loosen them to make a legal knife into a "prohibited" one.

This decision allows them to open any folding knife however much they want, even to 99% and then try to flick it open. Even a Swiss Army knife would fail under those conditions. :angry3:

I have emphasized a bit of the link, the "CBSA resolves that" so it is not actual Canadian law, just over reach by the CBSA.
2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT’s recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

sillyak
01-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Prohibited from import or prohibited weapon? I only saw import prohibition in that link.

parfleche
01-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Makes you wonder if some individuals don,t wake up some days and say Hey! Lets ban something !
The fact that a person can open a knife by flicking it outward or pull it out of a sheath makes no difference EXCEPT if you have watched too many gangster movies ! You can only be so dead or so sliced regardless of how the knife was used! Probably because it brings mafia connotations into the picture! :sign0068:

Twisted Canuck
01-08-2018, 03:08 PM
It's bureaucratic power grasping. I ordered a knife from the USA a few years back, to save some money, and CBA grabbed it. I appealed and sent them a document with links showing that no fewer than 12 retailers sold the same knife in AB, from Cabelas, Basspro, Wholesale, to Canadian Tire. They said that it doesn't matter, a determination had been made that it was 'mechanical assisted' and therefore prohib. It was a kershaw blur, they still sell them here, and I have a couple, but CBA cost me $75 on that one, plus a bunch of my (wasted) time fighting with them.

Hillbilly 12
01-08-2018, 03:40 PM
To bad they wouldn't ban terrorists, murders, drug dealers, rapists, thieves, child sex offenders, welfare bums, druggies, and the rest or the losers from our country, and what a country it would be.

But people keep telling me we are moving it the right direction, unreal what next.

Ken07AOVette
01-08-2018, 03:43 PM
It's bureaucratic power grasping. I ordered a knife from the USA a few years back, to save some money, and CBA grabbed it. I appealed and sent them a document with links showing that no fewer than 12 retailers sold the same knife in AB, from Cabelas, Basspro, Wholesale, to Canadian Tire. They said that it doesn't matter, a determination had been made that it was 'mechanical assisted' and therefore prohib. It was a kershaw blur, they still sell them here, and I have a couple, but CBA cost me $75 on that one, plus a bunch of my (wasted) time fighting with them.

My wife had a very nice Spyderco that someone in the airport system helped themselves to on the way back from Hawaii a couple years ago. We didn't get any note though.

hilt134
01-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Well there goes the knife market in canada? I mean most stores are entirely of this design. And I think they are all made outside of here. Sometimes I really hate this country also this is essentialy a law being passed it's just as easier way to do it. I mean if you cant ship them and nobody's going to open a factory you have pretty well made them illegal think of how fast the gun industry would shrink if they played it like this

Newview01
01-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Well there goes the knife market in canada? I mean most stores are entirely of this design. And I think they are all made outside of here. Sometimes I really hate this country also this is essentialy a law being passed it's just as easier way to do it. I mean if you cant ship them and nobody's going to open a factory you have pretty well made them illegal think of how fast the gun industry would shrink if they played it like this

Don’t give them ideas.

But thanks to ALL previous governments there still is no law preventing individual government agencies from arbitrarily making “laws”.

artie
01-08-2018, 07:15 PM
From what I understand these knives are almost like switch blade knives. Give the knife some force and the blade flies open or pops out of the handle. What do we need this type of knife for? With all the people getting hit or slashed with knives it is probably a good thing to get them off the street. The average hunter gutting an animal does not need one.

purgatory.sv
01-08-2018, 07:20 PM
I see your concern,but i have not seen any statistical study that indicates these types of tools are used for crime.

ranchhand
01-08-2018, 07:21 PM
From what I understand these knives are almost like switch blade knives. Give the knife some force and the blade flies open or pops out of the handle. What do we need this type of knife for? With all the people getting hit or slashed with knives it is probably a good thing to get them off the street. The average hunter gutting an animal does not need one.

:snapoutofit:

flyguyd
01-08-2018, 07:24 PM

They are nothing like switchblades :snapoutofit:

crazy_davey
01-08-2018, 07:24 PM
:snapoutofit:

x10

surhuntsalot
01-08-2018, 07:27 PM

And you sir posses the exact logic that will continue to erode all freedom over time... the “Why do you need” mentality ... Can you explain how a knife opening changes it’s function? I’d dare to guess that most stabbings have occurred using fixed blade kitchen knives. I wouldn’t be surprised if you also think “Why does one need a semi automatic when he can use a single shot, and get rid of compound bows because ...”.
Just sad...

averagejoe
01-08-2018, 07:32 PM

Incorrect. This makes ANY folding knife potentially "prohibited". Swiss Army knives, Buck Knives, that 100 year old slip joint Case knife that has been passed down in the family, that Leatherman or other multi-tool, all "prohibited". This decision by the CBSA allows them to open the blade as much as they want before flicking it open.

So they open the blade 99% and give it a flick which causes it to move that final hair and lock open. Yup, that is now a "prohibited centrifugal knife".

Taco
01-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Ah hell, why get your knickers in a knot? Find a workaround. Customs banned Power Mite Hot Shots a few yrs back, looked too much like a handheld taser. One thing I found out.. there's only about 2 dozen workarounds with online purchasing. Crappy hot shot anyway, there better options.

Newview01
01-08-2018, 08:04 PM

The stupidity of this post makes me believe you were being sarcastic.

bobtodrick
01-08-2018, 08:15 PM

Are you serious???
If you are then I guess you must be against handguns because we can't hunt with them.
Or performance automobiles because you can't legally go faster than 110km/h anywhere in Alberta.

Twisted Canuck
01-08-2018, 08:16 PM

I won't trash you for the post, but I will say, what has 'need' got to do with it? We only 'need' vehicles that will go 110 kph, but most will do twice that, some a lot more. Ban them too?

And quite apart from that, I can't tell you how many times I've been working and holding something with one hand, and needed to take my EDC knife out of my pocket, and one handed open it to complete my chore quickly and efficiently. Is that need enough?

I'm really kind of shocked you posted that, honestly, as it's that kind of thinking that will get every firearm except for maybe the Ruger #1 banned too. Foolishness.

elkhunter11
01-08-2018, 08:28 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/1i41rh.jpg

north american hunter
01-08-2018, 08:33 PM

Bud, ya obviously dont know what you're talking about. Many many Every Day Carry knives fall under this category that are nothing like a otf or switch blade.

HVA7mm
01-08-2018, 08:39 PM

I would imagine that many people would disagree with you, especially those who frequently need to work with one hand, have physical limitations with one hand or perhaps even an amputation.

Typical of the feds, especially those currently in power.

As for the "With all the people getting hit or slashed with knives", I'm quite sure that a fixed blade knife would be just as effective (flint and other stones have been used too). Maybe box cutters/utility knives should be next as they can quite easily be opened with one one hand. Oh crap, I shouldn't be giving out any more ludicrous suggestions. Ban everything, make everyone wear plastic bubbles over their hands...............

Kos
01-08-2018, 08:43 PM

X2

north american hunter
01-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Who's to say that people dont use these knives for skinning game?

north american hunter
01-08-2018, 08:56 PM
The benifits of one hand opening knives are endless.

huntinstuff
01-08-2018, 09:01 PM
“Why do you need...?”

The killer question.

Since when does anyone in a country like Canada or the US need to answer or ask such a question.

The correct answer is “because I can”.

Feeling like one has to add more, to justify it, is scary to me.

At work, we used to apply for vacation on a computer system.
Destination was one of the blanks to fill in

NOYFB was the reply I’d give.

“Why do you need?”............OMG. I can’t believe someone asked that.

Please tell me you were kidding artie

CNP
01-08-2018, 09:15 PM
The CBSA prohibition description/explanation is so vague and ambiguous that it could apply to most knives in our pockets.

I suppose it would apply to this knife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYTZwe9hy6w

https://i.imgur.com/CQBdNhk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bpozDUD.jpg

Battle Rat
01-08-2018, 09:45 PM

And how are they more of a danger to society than the type of knife that you think a hunter would use?

hilt134
01-08-2018, 09:50 PM

You are probably right I will probably never skin another animal with a folder. I threw it out due too it being too nasty. However if you work in a area where you need to use your knife constantly. The ease opening these knives makes your day a lot better not too mention that it can be done one handed. We aren't always skinning animals. I have boxes to open as well.

The other issue with this little is that it's sets a precedent for other changes like guns or even fixed blades. If they set a size restriction on fixed blade you would be hooped if you wanted kitchen knives as generally they are pretty long.

My last point is I don't actually think these style of knives makes them any more dangerous. With the exception of a true stilleto which has been illegal for years. They don't really provide an advantage. The blade opens the same direction as any folder and the longest part of pulling a knife is reaching into the pocket. Once it's out its the same thing across the board.

blacknorthernjk
01-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Do we have any quality flipper design knife manufacturers in Canada? This only prohibits the importation of such knives.
Well I'm sure glad my Steel Will Cutjack just made it through a couple weeks back.

Duramaximos
01-08-2018, 10:20 PM
If I understand this correctly knives with thumb studs are also banned from import since they require minimal manipulation of a non edged portion of the blade to open.

It is astounding to me that the CBSA can do this. We are talking about nearly all folding knives.

wildbill
01-08-2018, 11:58 PM
They can have all my folders.......after they pry them from, my cold,dead,lifeless hands!!!!!!
Few things are more satisfying as waving my xl espada or super roadhouse, love peoples unexpected reactions when those locks crack!!!

58thecat
01-09-2018, 12:01 AM

I got a few pocket knives that I use my thumb to open and if I want to get fancy can flick my wrist quickly the the 3" blade opens faster, peel an apple, cut a box open, cut a piece of tape just everything that needs cutting a work or around the house. Knife gets used probably three or four times a day and not even thinking about it as it is a tool. I also use them for animal/fish prep....
Your type that thinks it is going to make the criminals think differently as they "slash" others gotta shake your head...criminals don't give a ratz azz about laws, rules, regs....oh well next.:confused:

Newview01
01-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Maybe they did this because they would rather everyone carry a K-Bar on their belt.

last minute
01-09-2018, 06:34 AM
Just another way the noose is getting tighter whats next the size of a blade:confused:

Unregistered user
01-09-2018, 07:00 AM
I see lots of broken finger nails in the future.

Jeron Kahyar
01-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Maybe box cutters/utility knives should be next as they can quite easily be opened with one one hand.

I think we are already there. Just tried this with my Olfa and I can flick it open if required.

amosfella
01-09-2018, 09:54 AM
There's a special edition ZT tied up in that quagmire right now. Kinda funny that it's not illegal, but it's a department of Justice lawyer prosecuting the case in the Trade Tribunal.

Seems like the Department of Justice is using the Tribunals to increase the laws and restrictions.

fish_e_o
01-09-2018, 10:11 AM
So where's a good place in Canada to stock up while they're still available?

north american hunter
01-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Warriors and wonders are great do deal with and have everything anyone will ever need.

guysmiley
01-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Warriors and wonders are great do deal with and have everything anyone will ever need.

Thanks for the tip. I just checked the site and they have a huge selection. Should take a few hours to look through!

amosfella
01-09-2018, 10:45 AM
I think Warriors and Wonders has an exemption from Customs to import many of the knives that they do.

That being said, I haven't seen any knives that I want in the blade material that I want from them. Have to buy that from the US.

north american hunter
01-09-2018, 11:22 AM
I think Warriors and Wonders has an exemption from Customs to import many of the knives that they do.

That being said, I haven't seen any knives that I want in the blade material that I want from them. Have to buy that from the US.

What blade steel is that?

New Hunter Okotoks
01-09-2018, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the bulk of the CBSA people just happen to coincidentally have collections of knives like these at home: Spyderco, Benchmade, Reate, Zero Tolerance, etc.... especially if they have premium blade steel.

Duramaximos
01-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Warriors and wonders are great do deal with and have everything anyone will ever need.They do, for now...

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

averagejoe
01-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Do we have any quality flipper design knife manufacturers in Canada? This only prohibits the importation of such knives.
Well I'm sure glad my Steel Will Cutjack just made it through a couple weeks back.

https://grimsmo-knives.myshopify.com/

They are custom made to order and the wait list is very long. I think the prices start at $600 and go up to the thousands if you want all the fancy extras

If I understand this correctly knives with thumb studs are also banned from import since they require minimal manipulation of a non edged portion of the blade to open.

It is astounding to me that the CBSA can do this. We are talking about nearly all folding knives.

It gives them the ability to refuse entry to them but you can be sure only the "scary" looking knives will be affected. Or the nice looking ones that they want for themselves :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I doubt they have an exception. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a US PO box that they pick up all their orders from though to save them coming through the mail.

fish_e_o
01-09-2018, 12:20 PM

they had a few things i needed. thank-you

Kos
01-09-2018, 12:27 PM
I see lots of broken finger nails in the future.

I see your point: a broken finger nail can ruin the whole weekend! ROFL

amosfella
01-09-2018, 12:55 PM
I doubt they have an exception. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a US PO box that they pick up all their orders from though to save them coming through the mail.

I'd bet that they do have an exemption. There's a form for that.

EZM
01-09-2018, 02:09 PM
They can have all my folders.......after they pry them from, my cold,dead,lifeless hands!!!!!!
Few things are more satisfying as waving my xl espada or super roadhouse, love peoples unexpected reactions when those locks crack!!!

That is freaking hard core - must be a real rush !!!!!

Perhaps upping the ante to pulling out a loaded handgun and pressing it up to a random strangers forehead at the grocery store or something. Wouldn't watching them soil themselves give you a total rush too !!!!!!!!!

Scottmisfits
01-09-2018, 02:42 PM
A knife as simple as my Outdoor Edge Razorlite could be included in this. No spring at all but very easy one handed opening. I have a CRKT Shennanigan that has no spring but I can open with just the flick of a wrist. Both of them are great hunting knives. Do I “need” either one of them? Nope. But how does that make them any more dangerous than my Buck 119?

blacknorthernjk
01-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Guess I'll need to educate myself on just what this tribunal quasi judicial group is

Rig 44
01-09-2018, 03:30 PM
So my new go to hunting knife out door edge zip & flip is going to be prohibited because it has a thumb stud and all it takes to open it is my thumb instead of two fingers and both hands ???

catnthehat
01-09-2018, 05:05 PM
So my new go to hunting knife out door edge zip & flip is going to be prohibited because it has a thumb stud and all it takes to open it is my thumb instead of two fingers and both hands ???

Won't be prohibited, you just won't be able to get it across the border.:thinking-006:
Cat

AdAMxr
01-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Hmm doesn't add up to me. Quickest assisted opener kept in someone's pocket is still slower than a fixed blade on someone's hip. No matter how quick you can enable the blade it's still and extra step. Must be the intimidation factor?

Pretty sad this is what border security is concerning themselves with. Every kitchen in this country has knives that would make better weapons than joe blows pocket knife.

amosfella
01-09-2018, 06:24 PM
what blade steel is that?

cpm m4

wildbill
01-10-2018, 12:41 AM
That is freaking hard core - must be a real rush !!!!!

Perhaps upping the ante to pulling out a loaded handgun and pressing it up to a random strangers forehead at the grocery store or something. Wouldn't watching them soil themselves give you a total rush too !!!!!!!!!

Ya a handgun and a knife are the same thing for sure, did I say anything about holding it to someones forehead? Good to see you've gotten a headstart on the decriminalization, Go Trudeau, Go!!!!!! Oh my:bad_boys_20:

58thecat
01-10-2018, 07:02 AM
Just another way the noose is getting tighter whats next the size of a blade:confused:

That's why I carry a pocket knife to cut the noose:)

One hand operation while the other prevents the noose from tightening:sHa_shakeshout:

It all logic...cowboy logic.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jeron Kahyar
01-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Won't be prohibited, you just won't be able to get it across the border.:thinking-006:
CatI wouldnt say that so quickly. The CBSA only seems to be putting a definition to wording already in Canadian law.

Section 84 of the criminal code:

prohibited weapon

(a)*a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

(b)*any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon; (arme prohibée)

This may be the start of enforcing this.

Don K
01-10-2018, 10:45 AM
They’ve always been hard on butterfly knives. Id be surprised if they clamp down on folders to a big degree. Wait and see. If they do it’s pretty ridiculous.

urban rednek
01-10-2018, 11:10 AM
I wouldnt say that so quickly. The CBSA only seems to be putting a definition to wording already in Canadian law.

Section 84 of the criminal code:

prohibited weapon

(a)*a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

(b)*any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon; (arme prohibée)

This may be the start of enforcing this.

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a. a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and

b. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

It's in the wording: Customs Notice 18-01 expands the definition to include opening by manipulation of the blade. The existing Criminal Code subsection 84(1) only referred to manipulation of the handle.

blacknorthernjk
01-10-2018, 11:43 AM
I'm curious how this affects straight razors now? By definition I can 'deploy my straight razor blade in the same manor. Prohibit for import I suppose.

wildwoods
01-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Obviously this is a ridiculous development. However how is a spring assisted blade for example any more dangerous than a fixed blade that's already wide open? Pull it from a sheath and away you go… This is so unbelievably mind numbingly ridiculous

Groundhogger
01-10-2018, 01:24 PM
And you sir posses the exact logic that will continue to erode all freedom over time... the “Why do you need” mentality ... Can you explain how a knife opening changes it’s function? I’d dare to guess that most stabbings have occurred using fixed blade kitchen knives. I wouldn’t be surprised if you also think “Why does one need a semi automatic when he can use a single shot, and get rid of compound bows because ...”.
Just sad...

^this. It's up to me what I "need", nobody else. Give these dimwits an inch, they'll take a mile. Just because you don't own one, doesn't mean anyone should sit back and let this slide. It's something you don't own/care about this time...it could very well be something you care about the next time around. If they can railroad stuff like this through, you can pretty much guarantee it won't stop at this.

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist...a question to an answer nobody asked. Welcome to the land of big government. Worse yet~our taxes pay for our rights to be trampled on...and the people doing it probably get a pension too! I don't get one, but my taxes are helping make sure they do!

amosfella
01-10-2018, 01:56 PM
It's in the wording: Customs Notice 18-01 expands the definition to include opening by manipulation of the blade. The existing Criminal Code subsection 84(1) only referred to manipulation of the handle.

The section of the Criminal Code was originally made to stop switchblades and butterfly knives.

Now, they've changed the interpretation to include over half the folding knives on the market.

How many companies are making good lock backs these days?? Those are about the only folding knives that don't seem to be affected.

I've gone to carrying a 4" fixed blade in my pocket, but that's for completely different reasons than anything that has to do with the so called law.

I support everyone's right to own, import, and carry any knife that they want.

However these rules won't change until someone starts suing the government for overreach, and to change the law.

mattthegorby
01-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Hmm doesn't add up to me. Quickest assisted opener kept in someone's pocket is still slower than a fixed blade on someone's hip. No matter how quick you can enable the blade it's still and extra step. Must be the intimidation factor?

Exactly what confuses me about the whole thing.

Matt