PDA

View Full Version : Boat motor and insurance

esoxlucius
01-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Hello All, Thank you in advance for commenting on this. I was just wondering if you have boat insurance and the motor seized or died and was not able to fix could you pay a deductible and get another one from insurance? Just have never thought of it, over heard someone and they did it and got a new engine for their boat with paying the $1000 deductible.

dodgeboy1979
01-08-2018, 02:34 PM
you have to check what your policy covers, i know with mine if i smash a rock etc... it's covered.

guru fisher
01-08-2018, 02:49 PM
I would doubt it if your car motor goes they don’t pay for it. So don’t think they do that for a boat

Walleyedude
01-08-2018, 03:12 PM
With a standard policy, I highly doubt it. I know my policy would not cover it.

You'd have to purchase an additional mechanical failure policy if possible, similar to the extended warranty programs that are available. Most likely that wouldn't be cheap and would require a thorough mechanical inspection before they would agree to any kind of coverage.

SNAPFisher
01-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Yep, not likely default policy coverage but of course most places allow you to customize with extra $$ going to the insurance co. Pay now...slowly...or pay later :)

Puma
01-08-2018, 03:24 PM
If there was an impact or fire involved, coverage would be valid. Mechanical failure, doubtful if covered.

Half Pickereled
01-08-2018, 03:26 PM
You would have to have a good case, such as anything involving a “collision”. You “collided” with a plastic bag that went up and plugged your cooling system. Or you hit a rock and half of the motor fell off. But simple internal breakdown I would highly doubt there would be coverage. Unless you really spend the bucks, cause if Lanny McDonald can insure his moustache, some one will definetfly insure your boat motor, unless it’s an old Chrysler/Force outboard, no one is that naive.

calgarygringo
01-08-2018, 06:10 PM
I am in the insurance biz though not a broker myself but I could ask the brokers for you tomorrow. I have seen insurance for some pretty crazy stuff and talked to some reps about what they have available in the off the wall dept. One rep told me yhey could come up with a policy for almost anything if need be. Lots of specialty stuff out there.

calgarygringo
01-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Talking to the brokers this morning they tell me it is not insurance you want but you should be looking at the extended warranty companies. You can get insurance which is like roadside assistance where they pay for the tow job to get you back to the docks but not against breakdown. Hope that helps.