PDA

View Full Version : 08 4Runner shock/strut replacement

fishnguy
01-08-2018, 11:46 PM
It appears it is time to replace the struts and shock absorbers on my 2008 4Runner SE. The vehicle is all stock with no modifications done to it. I was looking into what is a better option and was thinking to give it a bit of a lift as well. That's when I found out it has XREAS, which makes things more complicated and insanely expensive, apparently . That is only what I read and I didn't call the dealer to find the price of the parts.

Now, I also read that one can simply pull this system out and install the regular shocks/struts and be done with it.

Has anyone done it before? I don't really have any problems replacing the suspension by myself and had done it before on a few different vehicles, but this XREAS thing is throwing me off a little bit.

Furthermore, if anyone did the lift on a similar vehicle, I would appreciate your experience and advice in terms of what to do and not do :)

Thanks!

fishnguy
01-09-2018, 06:31 PM
No one here dealt with this before?

1899b
01-09-2018, 07:33 PM
No one here dealt with this before?

Tell em your treaty and want to use it to go elk hunting next week. Someone will chime in....😂😂

fishnguy
01-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Not a native american, but I saw this field last week that was full of elk; asked the owner for permission, but he refused. So I am thinking to rip off the "no hunting" sign when I am getting in and hoping to get the job done before the legal light and be out of the field without drawing too much attention to myself. The problem is that the crop is still standing in the field, so I am thinking to lift my vehicle a couple of inches just for some extra protection from a random rock hidden in the crop. So I need the struts/shocks asap, while elk is still there. I already shot my cow elk back in October, but I figured I it is better to have extra to last till the next season and then just dump what I didn't need.

lakerman
01-09-2018, 09:04 PM
check out t4r.org lotta runners there.

TylerThomson
01-09-2018, 09:53 PM
I'm sure you would get much more helpful advice by posting this on a forum dedicated to your particular vehicle. I'm not saying getting mechanical advice from an outdoorsman forum is impossible but it wouldn't be my first option.

fishnguy
01-09-2018, 10:06 PM
check out t4r.org lotta runners there.
Thanks. Since there was not a single reply here, I started googling and found that place. A lot of information to go through.
I'm sure you would get much more helpful advice by posting this on a forum dedicated to your particular vehicle. I'm not saying getting mechanical advice from an outdoorsman forum is impossible but it wouldn't be my first option.
Definitely. Just thought to ask here first since it appears (from reading a few threads) there are quite a few guys here who own a 4Runner. So I figured there might be someone who had already done this in the past. I guess not :)

jednastka
01-09-2018, 10:18 PM
I have a 1999 4Runner SR5 that I just the work on. I was advised to go with Timbren SES system, and my shop was able to find a local Edmonton dealer. They make a set-up for your 4Runner as well. I am very happy with the performance.

http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/

Vic

Dean2
01-10-2018, 01:11 PM
The best all round shocks and struts for off road are Bilstien Heavy duty off road, non-adjustable. I tried a bunch of others but for non-lifted stock vehicles the Bilstiens are the right answer. I have put them on Dodge, Chev, Landcrusier Fj40, BJ40, BJ55 and FJ55, Toyota pickups and 4 Runners as well as a couple of Jeeps. Get the basic non-adjustable Biistiens for your vehicle. You will be amazed at the improvement in on and off road ride. Even brand new Dodge and Jeep, I replace with Bilstiens right off the bat, they make that big a difference.

I never lift my vehicles if they are going to be used on the highway at all. There is just too much that can go wrong when you start messing with centre of gravity, dif angles, steering geometry etc. At low speed off road, not so critical, at 80 miles an hour, not a good idea at all.

The Bilstiens make a straight swap out set for your XREAS system. Since there is no computer controlling the system you just remove all four XREAS shocks and replace them with standard Bilstiens. Just so you know however, the XREAS should never need to be replaced unless you develop a leak in the system. Then you just need to fix the leak but if you want to replace it then that works too.

1899b
01-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Not a native american, but I saw this field last week that was full of elk; asked the owner for permission, but he refused. So I am thinking to rip off the "no hunting" sign when I am getting in and hoping to get the job done before the legal light and be out of the field without drawing too much attention to myself. The problem is that the crop is still standing in the field, so I am thinking to lift my vehicle a couple of inches just for some extra protection from a random rock hidden in the crop. So I need the struts/shocks asap, while elk is still there. I already shot my cow elk back in October, but I figured I it is better to have extra to last till the next season and then just dump what I didn't need.

:sHa_shakeshout:

Grump
01-10-2018, 03:28 PM

hahaahahha golden.

I second the T4R forums, amazing resources on that site.

fishnguy
01-10-2018, 06:15 PM
The best all round shocks and struts for off road are Bilstien Heavy duty off road, non-adjustable. I tried a bunch of others but for non-lifted stock vehicles the Bilstiens are the right answer. I have put them on Dodge, Chev, Landcrusier Fj40, BJ40, BJ55 and FJ55, Toyota pickups and 4 Runners as well as a couple of Jeeps. Get the basic non-adjustable Biistiens for your vehicle. You will be amazed at the improvement in on and off road ride. Even brand new Dodge and Jeep, I replace with Bilstiens right off the bat, they make that big a difference.

I never lift my vehicles if they are going to be used on the highway at all. There is just too much that can go wrong when you start messing with centre of gravity, dif angles, steering geometry etc. At low speed off road, not so critical, at 80 miles an hour, not a good idea at all.

The Bilstiens make a straight swap out set for your XREAS system. Since there is no computer controlling the system you just remove all four XREAS shocks and replace them with standard Bilstiens. Just so you know however, the XREAS should never need to be replaced unless you develop a leak in the system. Then you just need to fix the leak but if you want to replace it then that works too.
Thank you for the post, Dean!
So I don't really need to pull the system out and just disconnect it from the shocks/struts and install new shocks/struts?
Also, do you, or anyone else, have any experience with Rancho products? They seems to be a bit cheaper and right now they are offering a small rebate as well.

:sHa_shakeshout:
It worked! :)

Dean2
01-11-2018, 08:47 AM
You can take the lines out if you want but I don't see any upside. If you leave them in and a later buyer wants to go back to the factory sytem he easily can.

As far as Rancho, they are less expensive, about half what Bilsteins are, because they are not near as well built. I tried them on Chev and Jeep. The piston rods are too soft and bend quite easily and the seals leak after only a few months. Rancho covered the problems on warranty but it was still a pain in the butt. Never had that happen with Bilstiens. When you consider the time install takes, a couple of extra bucks for top gear is pretty cheap.

Rock Auto sells the XREAS replacement shocks for $32 each, Ranchero is about 60 and Bilstein about $110. Yopu could replace all 4 of your OEMs and it would be far cheaper than any of the alternatives if price is the major consideration.

fishnguy
01-11-2018, 04:45 PM
Thanks again, Dean!

I am going to go with Bilteins.

As for pulling XREAS out, I would actually rather leave it in. Most threads I read about it elsewhere talk about pulling it out completely for whatever reason. Any thoughts on what is a better way to close the tubes to keep them clean while not in use? I am assuming electrical tape would not be sufficient.

Also, I need some bushings as well (stabilizer bar for now, but might be more once I get in). What are your thoughts on rubber vs. polyurethane?

Thanks.

TimeOff
01-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Bilstiens are a great choice. I put a set on my 07 Tundra and it rides better than new. Made the mistake of putting Rancho's on my 02 Runner before that to save a couple hundred $, never again. Any vehicle I have now will get Bilstiens when the time comes!

fishtank
01-11-2018, 06:06 PM
Thanks again, Dean!

I am going to go with Bilteins.

As for pulling XREAS out, I would actually rather leave it in. Most threads I read about it elsewhere talk about pulling it out completely for whatever reason. Any thoughts on what is a better way to close the tubes to keep them clean while not in use? I am assuming electrical tape would not be sufficient.

Also, I need some bushings as well (stabilizer bar for now, but might be more once I get in). What are your thoughts on rubber vs. polyurethane?

Thanks.
order off rockauto.com and save a bunch , they have a 5% coupon just google it

fishnguy
01-11-2018, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. So it will definitely be Bilsteins. I am thinking to get the adjustable ones though instead of just heavy duty. Just in case I will decide to go ahead with the lift at a later time. That should be fine, no? The price difference is nominal and the rear one is actually a couple of bucks cheaper than the non-adjustable one.

Thanks for that discount as well. I found some 5% off and then additional 5% off, just not sure how to put them both in yet, if at all possible.

If someone could still express their thoughts/knowledge/experience on polyurethane vs. rubber bushings, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dean2
01-12-2018, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. So it will definitely be Bilsteins. I am thinking to get the adjustable ones though instead of just heavy duty. Just in case I will decide to go ahead with the lift at a later time. That should be fine, no? The price difference is nominal and the rear one is actually a couple of bucks cheaper than the non-adjustable one.

Thanks for that discount as well. I found some 5% off and then additional 5% off, just not sure how to put them both in yet, if at all possible.

If someone could still express their thoughts/knowledge/experience on polyurethane vs. rubber bushings, I would greatly appreciate it.

Rubber is a much better bushing in our climate. It doesn't last as long as poly nor does it make quite as tight a fit but the poly ones get far to hard at -40. If I was doing a hard core off road rig to use mostly in warmer weather I would go Poly.. For a daily driver stick to quality OEM rubber parts, also available cheap at Rock.

As far as closing of the tubes get some proper tube inserts and silicone them in place with a LIGHT bead. Electrical tape is not likely to hold for long and if the tubes get dull of crud then they are useless.

As far as the adjustable Bilstiens, if you add a lift you will need to change the chocks to accommodate the longer travel length. The adjustment doesn't do that it only affects your valving for softer versus stiffer ride. You will never change the settings anyhow so go with the fixed ones, one less thing to go wrong or leak.

fishnguy
01-12-2018, 05:43 PM
I greatly appreciate it your advice, Dean. Thank you! Fixed it is. I will see what they have for the tube inserts in Canadian Tire or Home Hardware.

Thank you!

fishtank
01-12-2018, 05:47 PM

put code in at the check out also avoid UPS shipping take the ground shipping or the usps( us postal service) option ...UPS charge a brokerage fee:snapoutofit:

fishnguy
01-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Yes, I can use one code, but don't think I can use the other one as well, even though it says additional 5% off if I put the code in the "How did you hear about us box?". That's the only place I see where I can put the code in. Is there anywhere else?

Unfortunately, I am not being offered for the parts to be shipped via USPS. These are the only shipping options I am offered (my total for parts is $520):

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=141616&stc=1&d=1515809810

The cheapest three (or they all are) are shipping via Landmark and those prices include $30 duty. It is pretty insane, but I still cannot find the parts cheaper anywhere else.

Rockman
01-12-2018, 07:37 PM
For your lifted runner to still ride well, you want to get bilsteins that allow for the longer travel. This is called a suspension lift--as opposed to a spacer lift (cheap but kinda ruins the ride quality), or body lift (expensive, for bigger lifts usually). Always go suspension lift if you don't want to ruin ride quality.

Bilsteins are known to be great quality for the price. You'll be happy. If you want real performance you'd start going to Fox, Icon, King, or ADS. Always more expensive but great performance to match.

Rockman
01-12-2018, 07:40 PM
If you haven't bought yet, try headstrongoffroad (https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/). If you write them and specify what you need, including price range, Marie there should hook you up, and with great specific information to boot.

sikwhiskey
01-12-2018, 09:49 PM
I put Old Man Emu lifts in all of my Tacoma’s. 4 so far, only get 2.5” lift in the front which is fine. Rides much better than factory. I order direct to the border from rocky road outfitters. You can get the drakar springs for the rear too, and just about every upgrade you can think of from the same site.

fishtank
01-13-2018, 12:02 AM
Yes, I can use one code, but don't think I can use the other one as well, even though it says additional 5% off if I put the code in the "How did you hear about us box?". That's the only place I see where I can put the code in. Is there anywhere else?

Unfortunately, I am not being offered for the parts to be shipped via USPS. These are the only shipping options I am offered (my total for parts is $520):

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=141616&stc=1&d=1515809810

The cheapest three (or they all are) are shipping via Landmark and those prices include $30 duty. It is pretty insane, but I still cannot find the parts cheaper anywhere else.
Take the cheapest option they are very fast probably a week. Took them a week for my last order with the cheap ground shipping

the bourbon peasant
01-14-2018, 09:11 AM
OP, I did exactly what you're wanting to do with my 2006 4runner, and was very happy with the results.
I swapped out my XREAS for adjustable Bilstein shocks (lift struts for the front that use notches in the strut body for desired lift). As for springs, I went with coils from an FJ (09 I think). All in, I had an extra 1.5-1.75 inches of lift with a great ride and handling. It also let me run a bigger tire. I kept the rear air suspension for a while but eventually swapped out to coils when the height controls crapped out. In the end, you'll have a much more reliable system, with an as good or better ride (if you stick with a high end shock), at a fraction of the price to repair or replace your existing system.