PDA

View Full Version : just reading the chainsaw thread....

spoiledsaskhunter
01-09-2018, 08:21 AM
trying not to derail the other thread.

i recently acquired a stihl 038 super chainsaw. took it apart and cleaned everything up (including the carb), and when i get it started, it runs like a champ.

operative phrase it 'when i get it started'! this must be the hardest saw to start i have ever owned, to the point i take the air cleaner off and squirt fuel in it to get it going. then it will start easily and if i turn it off, will start again.....but let it sit for a few hours and it's same sh*t all over again.

is there a fix for this that i don't know about? when i read about them, a common thread is that they are hard to start, but there must be something you can do????

Bushmaster
01-09-2018, 08:36 AM
I had a similar experience with my saw.....it had a small crack in the fuel line.

antlercarver
01-09-2018, 09:49 AM
Small leak someplace like connection to fuel like. Its losing its prime

Sooner
01-09-2018, 09:55 AM
When My Stihl acts like this, the air filter is usually plugged or the muffler screen. If you have cleaned everything, I would check fuel supply like mentioned. My Stihl is 20 yrs old and still fires right up, easy peasy.

buckbrush
01-09-2018, 10:11 AM
After having my stihl for 7 years and cut about 50 cords of wood with it. I finally did the muffler mod (no change to spark arrestor so still safe) followed by setting it up the way they recommend with the idle and carb adjustments. When I did that it turned it into a brand new saw. Wish I would have done it as soon as the saw was broke in.

elk396
01-09-2018, 10:46 AM
trying not to derail the other thread.

i recently acquired a stihl 038 super chainsaw. took it apart and cleaned everything up (including the carb), and when i get it started, it runs like a champ.

operative phrase it 'when i get it started'! this must be the hardest saw to start i have ever owned, to the point i take the air cleaner off and squirt fuel in it to get it going. then it will start easily and if i turn it off, will start again.....but let it sit for a few hours and it's same sh*t all over again.

is there a fix for this that i don't know about? when i read about them, a common thread is that they are hard to start, but there must be something you can do????

That's weird, I have the same one and it's the opposite, it's starts and stays running first few pulls everytime.

trailraat
01-09-2018, 11:36 AM
I would start by cleaning the carb, with small two strokes it seems 90% starting and poor running is a fuel problem. Likely your low speed idle jet is fully or partially plugged and until the saw gets up to temperature (which helps vaporize the fuel) its not getting fuel enough to maintain a cold idle. The other option could be too much air if a gasket like the one between the carb and engine is leaking - it could be sealing once the engine starts up.

spoiledsaskhunter
01-10-2018, 10:11 PM
some good thoughts here guys...thank you. won't be able to do anything with it 'til the weather warms up.

Johnny G1
01-10-2018, 11:33 PM
some good thoughts here guys...thank you. won't be able to do anything with it 'til the weather warms up. And buy a can of gas at the dealer, canned gas 50-1, only way to go if you don't use the saw much, my 034 and 036 start 1 pull after sitting for a month, Just my thought's.

skidderman
01-11-2018, 12:43 AM
Had problems with my 026. Did a carb kit & still had problems. It was the fuel line. Once it was changed it reverted back to it's good old self. Ethanol eats rubber so if you don't use premium you pay the price.

jeprli
01-11-2018, 08:18 AM
I would reset the carb and tune it up since it is new saw. Both of my 291 were running great in shop at +22 but in -20 it would take me up to 10 pulls to get it going , after a tune up it starts on first pull.