PDA

View Full Version : Lac La Biche in early February

deanstr8
01-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Hey everyone, hope you are all enjoying the hard water season. I am heading to Lac La Biche Feb. 2-4 to stay in the on-ice cabins through Lakeland Adventures. I am just looking for some friendly advice on night fishing. I have already purchased a bunch of glowing lures, which I have been told is an essential. Is there anything else to consider when fishing in the dark? Anything we are not allowed to do? I have Class C tags to fill so any walleye tips would be appreciated as well. Would also like to get on to some perch... The shack is located in Mission Bay I believe??

Thanks in advance

NSR Fisher
01-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Try getting some rattle raps, they don't have to glow because the walleye can hear / feel the vibration at night and have no problem finding it.

Jig aggressively.

As for anything you're not allowed to do, you cannot in Alberta shine a light down the hole to give yourself a better image on the underwater camera. That's pretty much it. You can attach a glowing lure, but you cannot actually shine a light down the hole.

yetiseeker
01-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Are you sure about Class C tags for LLB?

I'm pretty sure they only released Class A tags for LLB.

SNAPFisher
01-09-2018, 01:17 PM
https://mywildalberta.ca/buy-licences/fishing-licenses-fees/documents/WalleyeDrawsBrochure-2017.pdf

Class A is what the brochure states alright.

deanstr8
01-09-2018, 03:11 PM
Sorry, Class A. I got mixed up with the order, I was thinking A was under 43, C was over 50. Just a brain fart. 2 over 50cm is what I have to fill.

The Spank
01-09-2018, 06:31 PM
I’m headed there too in mid march. Hope to hear about your trip in February.

FishHunterPro
01-09-2018, 08:17 PM
I'm heading to lac la biche tomorrow to fill my walleye tags

-JR-
01-10-2018, 05:27 AM
I know in pigeon class A was 50 and over not43 and under.
So I think your class A at Lac la Biche would also be 50 and over
Best is to Double check what tag you really have.

I do know in summer the walleye are deep and will take 5 inch ribber lures

The Spank
01-14-2018, 12:12 PM
I'm heading to lac la biche tomorrow to fill my walleye tags

It’s been 5 days since you posted and am curious how did you make out?

blackonblackfx4
01-14-2018, 09:32 PM
It’s been a little slow for walleye but with persistence you should be able to fill it. Tough to find perch since the walleye took over in 2013. If you do find some on LLB they will be tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunterPro
01-15-2018, 06:33 AM
It’s been 5 days since you posted and am curious how did you make out?

Me and my friend filled are tags no problem,fishing was slower but still good. Out of all the time on the ice I caught the only pike and it was 82cm the rest were all walleye. We never left the tent or moved once because it was so cold out. There's not much snow on the lake so we had no problem driving on with the 4x4 and the ice was pretty thick. Easy 2ft thick but I never measured it.

deanstr8
01-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Well that is a promising update Spank. Where were you guys located? and any advice to offer on bait/lures? You don't have to give up your secrets if you don't want to....

The Spank
01-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Well that is a promising update Spank. Where were you guys located? and any advice to offer on bait/lures? You don't have to give up your secrets if you don't want to....

The update was by FishHunterPro, I haven’t been yet. I’m booked in for mid march.

The Spank
01-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Me and my friend filled are tags no problem,fishing was slower but still good. Out of all the time on the ice I caught the only pike and it was 82cm the rest were all walleye. We never left the tent or moved once because it was so cold out. There's not much snow on the lake so we had no problem driving on with the 4x4 and the ice was pretty thick. Easy 2ft thick but I never measured it.

Right on! Sounds like you caught some quality fish, congratulations!

deanstr8
01-15-2018, 12:21 PM
The update was by FishHunterPro, I haven’t been yet. I’m booked in for mid march.

Oops... I am easily confused... thanks, I am hoping FishHunterPro can answer the question anyways..

muzzy
01-15-2018, 01:34 PM
why are glow in the dark lures "essential" Not aware of any bait fish that glow in the dark.

deanstr8
01-16-2018, 09:31 AM
why are glow in the dark lures "essential" Not aware of any bait fish that glow in the dark.

Most articles I have read regarding fishing at night talk about glow lures. The way I understand it is the light will attract the fish to the area, the bait will then get them to bite? I am no expert by any means, just reading a lot of articles by experts...They do talk a lot about rattling/noisemaking lures as well, which will also attract fish to the area.

Red Neck
01-16-2018, 11:19 AM
My dad and I stayed in the small shack with Lake Land last famly day weekend. Make sure and bring a generator and headlamps and batteries. The location of the cabins are right on good fishing grounds. One group last year was having luck with set lines and bait? active jigging also wourked well. You will have a great time enjoy. Im heding up soon myself and cant wait:)
Red Neck Out
:scared0018: