PDA

View Full Version : New To Walley Fishing

alberta hunter
05-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Went out and fished the first SAWT Last weekend and had a blast. Never fished walley before and boy were my eyes ever opened these guys are good!!! I was wondering if anyone could help me! I am thinking about buying a boat but not about to spend $30000.00. What should I be looking for? Living in southern alberta we all know that the wind can get nasty so I would like something a little bigger than a 12 foot car top.

packhuntr
05-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Hey, dont feel too bad about showing up and donating, alot of us did. It was tough going out there. I cant help ya much with the boat, but plan on a bunch invested into rigging if ya want to be able to fish at that level and be competitive. If your boat doesnt have anything on it when ya get it, I would say expect to unload 10 thousand, that could be on the low end, especially at the price of some of the toys these days. Its nuts, but ya gotta have something bolted to her to play at the level of some of these guys. I also guess it would depend on how slick of a fishing rig ya wanted. Sounds like your about to start fresh all the way around, take it slow and have fun!

jesse34567
05-19-2009, 08:06 AM
check out the smokercraft website and the crestliner one a boat between 16 to 18 ft well get the job done ...... if u don't want to drop 36,000 grand on a solid boat look for used ones on kijiji or buy and sell

bsnyder
05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes tournaments are a blast but a real expensive hobby.We fish the NAWT and some in Sask.I started with a Lund 1750 with a 150 hp.Was a great little boat with all the bells and whistles and sold it a couple of years ago for $20,000.Now have a 2025 ProV LUND with a 250 hp .With the big water on Slave, ect. I wouldnt have anything less.Make sure you stay with a quality unit like a Lund, Crestliner, Princecraft, ect.Stay away from the cheaper Legends, Trackers , ect.I have seen them actually bend in the middle when in extreme waves. Not Fun.Good luck in the tournaments and remember not to take it to serious, its suposed to be about the fun and competition.:wave:

dennisb
05-19-2009, 11:27 AM
All I can say is you get what you pay for. Im on my second Lund, Both have been the 1850 Tyee and they've always been spectacular boats. If I were you ( IMO ) dont go less than a 18' boat, lots of room for your gear, big enough to throw the wife & kids in also. Either way, be prepared to work a little overtime cause she's not a cheap hobbie.

bsnyder
05-19-2009, 11:41 AM
All I can say is you get what you pay for. Im on my second Lund, Both have been the 1850 Tyee and they've always been spectacular boats. If I were you ( IMO ) dont go less than a 18' boat, lots of room for your gear, big enough to throw the wife & kids in also. Either way, be prepared to work a little overtime cause she's bot a cheap hobbie.

AMEN BROTHER (haha)

Chris K
05-19-2009, 06:41 PM
You can find a great used Lund from 12 to 16 thousand that will work fine for tournament fishing. On a few websites in the states there are some great deals. I saw a 2001 Lund 1775 Pro V tiller with a 75 four stroke Mercury outboard for 9500 US with a trolling motor, batteries, and sonars, with splashguards. That is a great tournament boat for the price. You are not thr fastest, but you will have great bot control. There are lots of deals like this to be had out there. Chris K

alberta hunter
05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys this is great info. Chris K can you tell me some of the sites to look at in the states?

Waxy
05-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys this is great info. Chris K can you tell me some of the sites to look at in the states?

Walleyecentral
Walleyefirst
IDOfishing

vast.com
lakelink.com
iboats.com
boattrader.com
Ebay.com

That should get you started, and there'll be tons of links to follow up on from there.

Waxy

WillyP
05-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Hello Hunter,

I have a 92 Lund Pro V Deluxe 1660 fro sale, owned since new, may want to check out info on the Buy and sell Section for boats and motors.
Thanks