PDA

View Full Version : UPC and Alberta Party???

Sitting Bull
01-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Evening everybody,
Could we have an educational discussion on the differences between The UPC and the Alberta Party? The reason I am asking is that I do not know what they are. I have always voted PC and never bothered to educate myself.
What do each stand for and what does it mean to the average person?
I will be calling each party in order to find out the differences but I wanted to hear from you guys your thoughts as well as why one is better than the other to represent Alberta's needs.
Thanks.

sns2
01-09-2018, 06:04 PM
This thread will be closely monitored as a guy has asked for information without partisan viewpoints so as to make an informed decision. A person was just suspended for starting a contentious political thread. The first person on this one who makes a stupid/ignorant post will get a timeout and the thread will be closed.

kevinhits
01-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Evening everybody,
Could we have an educational discussion on the differences between The UPC and the Alberta Party? The reason I am asking is that I do not know what they are. I have always voted PC and never bothered to educate myself.
I will be calling each party in order to find out the differences but I wanted to hear from you guys your thoughts as well as why one is better than the other to represent Alberta's needs.
Thanks.

I just seen that my local MLA is running for the Alberta Party ( Rick Fraser).
My concern is a vote splitting once again to give NDP the next election...This worries me....

3blade
01-09-2018, 06:19 PM
From what I've seen:

UCP = wild rose and conservative members of the former PC party

Alberta party = former liberal party and progressive side of the PC's

Neither one has really staked out policy turf yet.

sakogreywolf
01-09-2018, 06:28 PM
My concern is a vote splitting once again to give NDP the next election...This worries me....

Precisely.....vote splitting is NOT what this province needs right now.

purgatory.sv
01-09-2018, 06:35 PM
Evening everybody,
Thanks.

Someone described the alberta party as liberal light.
Last election they were the only party that fielded a candidate with no baggage.
A rumor has started that mandel may run for the leadership , i don't trust him,i hope this is only a rumor.
I will make a decision after they pick a new leader.

BuckCuller
01-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Most of their hard line policies will be closer to the next election. As of now they put ideas out there to see what polls and criticize who is in power right now.
I suspect that the UCP will run more traditional conservative policies where the Alberta party will be more populist on their platform. I will be paying more attention closer to the next election. You can sign up for news letter emails from each party also.
If the OP gets much information from calling them please post it.

fitzy
01-09-2018, 06:41 PM
From what I've seen the AP are socially liberal financially conservative pretty middle of the road party.

dutch_m
01-09-2018, 06:44 PM
UPC. Party , is made up of voters that are past members of the Wildrose party and of the past Conservative party , they had a legal leadership race and both party's agreed to join ,

The Alberta Party , is made up of the sore losers from the Wildrose Party and some sore losers from the past Conservative party , kinda like the people who would get voted in and think it ok to just walk across the floor and join whatever party they want or who can make a better deal for them , it happen a couple years ago I think

Will this be enough to split the vote and allow the NDP to win again , my guess is YES

Spidey
01-09-2018, 06:46 PM

I'm wondering if it won't be the opposite - that the AP may pull votes away from the NDP next election. The AP seems closer to the left than the right, but that's just my POV.

dodger
01-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Rick Fraser is a straight shooter. It will be interesting if he becomes leader of the AB Party.

Dodger.

MoFugger21
01-09-2018, 07:27 PM
From what I've seen the AP are socially liberal financially conservative pretty middle of the road party.

This

kevinhits
01-09-2018, 07:51 PM
I'm wondering if it won't be the opposite - that the AP may pull votes away from the NDP next election. The AP seems closer to the left than the right, but that's just my POV.

I agree with your statement.....I can see many NDP voters having remorse going in the AP direction...that's for sure.

Duramaximos
01-09-2018, 08:27 PM

"Precisely" this! No vote split!

Sitting Bull
01-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I do not have a lot to offer in this conversation as I hate to admit it, But I have tuned out politics many years ago and just voted the way I alway have with no real knowledge as to why. This time I want to learn who is who and which party has my best interest as well as for my province.
I want to be ready for the next election!

purgatory.sv
01-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Evening everybody,
Thanks.

Ok.
All parties give you the opportunity .

No party will deliver what you what.
This participation thing only has value if you pursue?
The balance of wants and need will always be the question?
The leader and or wants are the direction.
The direction has always been I AM HAPPY .
You define happy.

:thinking-006:

slough shark
01-09-2018, 10:18 PM
Ucp seems to me a pc during Ralph Klein’s days/wild rose kinda thing. AP is the liberal party without the liberal in the title, seems to me about the only pc’s that may gravitate there are those of the Alison Redford sort which as we saw was kinda like a female Justin Trudeau with support for oil.

Bushrat
01-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Alternative to the right wing wing nuts and the totally left wing whack jobs. Mandel is predictable, has appeal for the majority of people in the middle ground. Left wing right wing extremist thing is getting old.

densa44
01-10-2018, 07:59 AM
It will test ;is the right really united, and if the NDP looks to be beatable how many opportunists will come out of the woodwork.

"Politicians will say whatever they think will get them elected" (Father)
Actually that is not a bad thing, the problems come when they don't do what they said they would do.

The weaker/more vulnerable the government looks at election time will cause more not less vote splitting.

lmtada
01-10-2018, 08:32 AM
It will test ;is the right really united, and if the NDP looks to be beatable how many opportunists will come out of the woodwork.

"Politicians will say whatever they think will get them elected" (Father)
Actually that is not a bad thing, the problems come when they don't do what they said they would do.

The weaker/more vulnerable the government looks at election time will cause more not less vote splitting.

This is biggest issue with politics that needs to be addressed. Penalties need to issued to political parties, politicians who violate the rules. Penalties need to be severe. Fear needs to be driven into politics, from the people. :) Currently there is no fear (other than not being re-elected), by political parties for overpromising, and underdelivering.

Bushrat
01-10-2018, 11:06 AM
This is biggest issue with politics that needs to be addressed. Penalties need to issued to political parties, politicians who violate the rules. Penalties need to be severe. Fear needs to be driven into politics, from the people. :) Currently there is no fear (other than not being re-elected), by political parties for overpromising, and underdelivering.

Yes, it's too bad the voting public couldn't make the rules.

Sooner
01-10-2018, 12:01 PM
If Fraser wins, could be some vote splitting for the UPC, not good. I think if Mandel wins, the dippers will have to worry about the vote splitting.

Although I liked the talk Greg Clark spoke, his party never really got noticed. I know I would not throw a vote to the Ab Party. Not sure if Fraser or Mandel could make that much more of a gain. Either will probably get more votes than Clark did but will that turn into more seats in the house? Clark has been a lone wolf forever until a dipper crossed the floor.

This is just another interesting twist to AB politics. These last few years have sure been a weird ride.

ATF
01-10-2018, 12:10 PM
After having endured the Mandel years in Edmonton I hope he gets shut out like the last election.
The province wouldn't be able to afford his policies.
I thought I read somewhere that the Alberta Party was interested in a PST and I may be mistaken but that would be something Mandel would like to pay for anything he comes up with.

Taco
01-10-2018, 12:18 PM
The divisiveness and ranker that is evident in political party politics on both the Provincial and Federal levels has left me so outright disgusted that I am now deliberately a soft centre voter and will remain so until I see some level of respect return for people that hold opposing views.

markg
01-10-2018, 12:32 PM
The divisiveness and ranker that is evident in political party politics on both the Provincial and Federal levels has left me so outright disgusted that I am now deliberately a soft centre voter and will remain so until I see some level of respect return for people that hold opposing views.

Here Here I am very much in agreement with your statement. The identity politics that exists in western societies is getting so outrageous that it is comical. I dont know how we can have a functioning society when we are so divided. Time will tell. It seems like the political class is fighting over the deck chairs on the Titanic. Unless someone with true leadership, regardless of ideaology steps in and rights the ship economically we are headed into a fiscal iceberg of debt.

Taco
01-10-2018, 12:40 PM
I should learn how to spell rancor

slough shark
01-10-2018, 12:57 PM
If Fraser wins, could be some vote splitting for the UPC, not good. I think if Mandel wins, the dippers will have to worry about the vote splitting.

Although I liked the talk Greg Clark spoke, his party never really got noticed. I know I would not throw a vote to the Ab Party. Not sure if Fraser or Mandel could make that much more of a gain. Either will probably get more votes than Clark did but will that turn into more seats in the house? Clark has been a lone wolf forever until a dipper crossed the floor.

This is just another interesting twist to AB politics. These last few years have sure been a weird ride.

The fact that an ndp member joined the Alberta party no problem kinda shows where they are on the political spectrum. For all this talk of fiscal conservative, socially liberal talk I have yet to see a party do both, probably the closest to “success” was jean Chrétien but that resulted in a big government and high taxes, only fiscal success was a pseudo balanced budget. Pretty well all other socially liberal governments even those that claim fiscal conservative have blown budgets and high spending and try catch up with raising taxes. All the social projects and issues require a ton of money as social issues come before budgets ALL THE TIME. They sound good and try to say they’re fiscally responsible until they have the purse (Naheed Nenshi anyone)

TROLLER
01-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Rick Fraser is a straight shooter. It will be interesting if he becomes leader of the AB Party.

Dodger.

He is an old boy from the 2 previous PC's and crossed the floor to sit alone. Now he has a ndp and Greg clark He will not I hope get re elected. does not deserve to be sitting in the legislature any more than all the past Wild Rose MLA/s that got punted in the last election for crossing over.

2 Tollers
01-10-2018, 04:34 PM
I liked Greg Clark and supported the Alberta Party in the last election. In looking at the current situation with Rick Fraser and possibly Mandel running for leadership my worry is the Alberta Party being taken over by the "old boys" of the out going PC party.

It will be interesting to see who is the new leader and if they stay to the center vision.

If the move is to re-establish the old PC party group re-branded I am not sure that I could support that.

This definitely will impact voting and could drive a coalition or minority government.

Mikeham
01-10-2018, 04:35 PM

The problem remains for those who disagree with socially regressive values of JK and the disagree with the fiscal policies of the NDP. Which side to take? Alberta Party believes that there are enough of those voters to form government.

rocnrol
01-10-2018, 05:16 PM
If you were ****ed with the Stellmac, Redford PC,s then stay away from the Alberta Party. This is where they're all going to, and, in my opinion, have done this in hostile take over fashion, starting with the kicking out of Greg Clarke as the leader. The likes of Thomas Lukasik will show up here. Long time PC organizer, Steven Carter is the guy heading up all the organization behind the scenes of this. Who's he you might ask.... he was Sandra Janssen campaign manager... take it from there.

As for Rick Fraser being a straight shooter.... Myself personally, I wouldn't consider a politician that crosses the floor to a different party a straight shooter, not in the least. That's greasy politics. He's also quite fond of the Redford caucus, and was part of that too

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

rocnrol
01-10-2018, 05:18 PM
I liked Greg Clark and supported the Alberta Party in the last election. In looking at the current situation with Rick Fraser and possibly Mandel running for leadership my worry is the Alberta Party being taken over by the "old boys" of the out going PC party.

It will be interesting to see who is the new leader and if they stay to the center vision.

If the move is to re-establish the old PC party group re-branded I am not sure that I could support that.

This definitely will impact voting and could drive a coalition or minority government.You are bang on with your assessment of the "old guard PC" populating the Alberta Party

sns2
01-10-2018, 05:43 PM
I have read all the material on their website and feel that this Alberta Party seemingly is a fairly comfortable ideological match for those who considered themselves "progressive" small c conservatives who were not comfortable with the WR, but felt that the PCs had become so corrupt that it needed to be blown up. Theoretically, this party, if skillfully led, could siphon large numbers of voters from both current parties, as it presents itself as a balance between fiscal conservatism, social programs, and investing in Alberta via needed infrastructure. Personally, this appeals to me, but as densa44 says, it's not what they say it's what they do.

All I know is that this next election cycle, which is well underway, will be a very interesting one.

Know what you believe, find the party that best matches those beliefs, and when the time comes, get out to the polls. Blood was shed so we could freely do so.

2 Tollers
01-10-2018, 06:34 PM
I have read all the material on their website and feel that this Alberta Party seemingly is a fairly comfortable ideological match for those who considered themselves "progressive" small c conservatives who were not comfortable with the WR, but felt that the PCs had become so corrupt that it needed to be blown up. Theoretically, this party, if skillfully led, could siphon large numbers of voters from both current parties, as it presents itself as a balance between fiscal conservatism, social programs, and investing in Alberta via needed infrastructure. Personally, this appeals to me, but as densa44 says, it's not what they say it's what they do.

X2 - on this Hopefully there is balanced approach.

Flatlandliver
01-10-2018, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE

Know what you believe, find the party that best matches those beliefs, and when the time comes, get out to the polls. Blood was shed so we could freely do so.[/QUOTE]

Well said Sir

fitzy
01-10-2018, 07:44 PM

All I know is that this next election cycle, which is well underway, will be a very interesting one.

Know what you believe, find the party that best matches those beliefs, and when the time comes, get out to the polls. Blood was shed so we could freely do so.

Really great post!!

hal53
01-10-2018, 07:47 PM

Agreed...the key thing here is for voters to do a little research on the parties AND the candidates. The last thing Alberta needs next time around is a another bunch of hissy fit voters blindly voting for a change because they were told they weren't getting their "fair share".

huntinstuff
01-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Every election, it’s the same thing

Albertans want/have some “great” new thing to look at.

In reality, it’s a rerun. Leftovers put into a blender. Looks different but the substance is the same.

That’s how NDP got in.

UPC. ALBERTA PARTY.. flip a coin, divide the vote, live with Notley 4 more gruesome years.

Sitting Bull, there’s your education sir. You said you’ve not been following politics for a long while?

You missed nothing except the inevitable.

ESOXangler
01-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Hard to argue with reason!

2 Tollers
01-11-2018, 08:51 AM
One of the problems in getting an accurate measure on the Alberta party and the UCP candidate in a riding will be the press. The bias of the press and TV news is significant. Attending riding meetings and getting out to events will be critical to an informed opinion.

HoytCRX32
01-11-2018, 09:01 AM
He is an old boy from the 2 previous PC's and crossed the floor to sit alone. Now he has a ndp and Greg clark He will not I hope get re elected. does not deserve to be sitting in the legislature any more than all the past Wild Rose MLA/s that got punted in the last election for crossing over.

This^^^

rocnrol
01-11-2018, 09:54 AM
I've said it a couple of times now where the Alberta Party is going and I'll say it again. It has now become the refuge of the old PC guard. If you're going to the website to form an opinion of the Alberta Party, I can assure you, you are now getting the wrong message. Proof of point, here is a video of ousted leader and party founder, Greg Clarke explaining the party's view, and policy on floor crossing. As it stands now.... 2 / 3rd of the party's seats are held by floors crossers who did absolutely zero consulting with constituents in the manner put forward by the party they have now parked their *****es.

https://youtu.be/j7YbJNcVgbY