PDA

View Full Version : New Ice Fishing tent advice

bullwinkle97
01-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Looking to buy an ice fishing hub style tent. Any experience/reviews on the Frabill HQ tents? Looking at the 100 or 200 and not seeing much for reviews online. Thanks

swampy45
01-11-2018, 01:07 PM
No experience with the new Frabill’s, but the old ones we’re terrible. Had two and they both fell apart around me the first year. Frabiil replaced them under warranty. Used them another year... same issues. Had them replaced again by Frabill under warranty (have to give them credit for that), but once I got the second replacements, I sold them.

I went to Eskimo 9416 at that time as I was usually fishing with large groups, and it was outstanding. Used it for 5 years without an issue, and even had a friend snap a pole in it. Easily replaced through Eskimo and cost $12. This year I replaced all the hubs and hardware in it, restitched a pole pocket that was worn, and sold it. I know the tent is still being used frequently with zero issues.

I also had an Eskimo Quickfish 2 I used for solo trips and it was light, easy to carry, and easy to pack on my own. A small heater kept it t-shirt warm no problem. Sold it as well.

I have now purchased an Eskimo 6120i for overnighting and bigger fishing trips. After two successful overnight trips, including one where it absolutely POURED rain last week, I can say I am beyond happy with its performance. Not one drop of water in the tent, zero condensation on the inside, and always a comfortable temperature with or without the heater. I only used the heater when I went to sleep to warm the tent and never turned it back on until morning in -15*C. During the day, even at -10*C the fabric retains the heat from the sun and I never needed the heater. I was fairly surprised and hugely impressed. I was never sold on insulated tents until I bought it... it’s worth it. The only downfall is the weight at 52 pounds. Good trade off? Yeah, I think so.

Rig_man
01-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Clam Refuge Ice Thermal $349.99 Bass Pro

bullwinkle97
01-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Great to hear. Thanks

Scott N
01-11-2018, 01:49 PM
I'm also a fan of my Eskimo tent, a 949i. It's the perfect size for 2 guys and quite a bit of gear.

Bhflyfisher
01-11-2018, 01:58 PM
I just got the Evo2it, dont know if its too small for your needs, but I love it so far. Fishes 2 so comfortably, 3 in a pinch.

swampy45
01-11-2018, 03:09 PM
The Evo’s are a deadly choice for moving around lots.

bullwinkle97
01-11-2018, 03:19 PM
No experience with the new Frabill’s, but the old ones we’re terrible. Had two and they both fell apart around me the first year. Frabiil replaced them under warranty. Used them another year... same issues. Had them replaced again by Frabill under warranty (have to give them credit for that), but once I got the second replacements, I sold them.

I went to Eskimo 9416 at that time as I was usually fishing with large groups, and it was outstanding. Used it for 5 years without an issue, and even had a friend snap a pole in it. Easily replaced through Eskimo and cost $12. This year I replaced all the hubs and hardware in it, restitched a pole pocket that was worn, and sold it. I know the tent is still being used frequently with zero issues.

I also had an Eskimo Quickfish 2 I used for solo trips and it was light, easy to carry, and easy to pack on my own. A small heater kept it t-shirt warm no problem. Sold it as well.

I have now purchased an Eskimo 6120i for overnighting and bigger fishing trips. After two successful overnight trips, including one where it absolutely POURED rain last week, I can say I am beyond happy with its performance. Not one drop of water in the tent, zero condensation on the inside, and always a comfortable temperature with or without the heater. I only used the heater when I went to sleep to warm the tent and never turned it back on until morning in -15*C. During the day, even at -10*C the fabric retains the heat from the sun and I never needed the heater. I was fairly surprised and hugely impressed. I was never sold on insulated tents until I bought it... it’s worth it. The only downfall is the weight at 52 pounds. Good trade off? Yeah, I think so.

Do you know who in Canada would carry the Quickfish 2? Sounds like exactly what I would need

ks.snow
01-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Cabelas for sure and probably bass pro. Think the fishing hole does too.

Scott N
01-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Do you know who in Canada would carry the Quickfish 2? Sounds like exactly what I would need

I know that Bass Pro had quite a few in stock just after Christmas. $199 I believe. I actually have a Quickfish 2, it's perfect for one guy and gear, but my buddy and I have also both fished out of it.

swampy45
01-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Bass Pro, Cabela’s, The Fishin’ Hole, Canadian Tire... I think Can tire had them on sale for $169. A quick google search will show you! Amazon as well...

slamilton
01-12-2018, 05:59 AM
Check out the Canadian Tire Flyer this week, quite a few options on good sale it looks.

ghostguy6
01-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Check out Costco as well. They have some pretty good tents and you cant beat the warranty.

skain11
01-12-2018, 08:14 AM
I just ordered online and received from Costco the Fish Haven 3-4 person tent for $230. First outing tomorrow, will advise...sk

BootScoot
01-12-2018, 04:16 PM

I was torn between the new Clam Refuge thermal and the Eskimo Quickfish 5i....now you have me thinking the 6120i might be a good choice in case I want to do overnighters! Decisions, decisions.