PDA

View Full Version : Honolulu Fishing Charters

sherwick
01-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Hi All,

Looking for recommendations for a private charter during our trip.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

All the Best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken07AOVette
01-11-2018, 01:32 PM
I looked everytime I went to Oahu, and was disgusted at the deal every time. I am not going to mention any company because that thread went up in flames last time. (check the reviews, you will find them)
What annoyed the hell out of me was the fact that when you pay from $400- $1500USD for the day, if you and 3 friends (or 8) got 1 fish under 100lbs half of it was split up between everyone the rest went to the boat.
So you got a sandwich baggie of fish.
If you catch a fish over 100 lbs you get a picture of it, then shoved off the boat at the dock so the captain could run as fast as he could with 'his fresh catch' and sell it for a couple grand. No meat, just a picture.
You take turns reeling in the fish, but the biggest tipper gets the most time in the chair. You are paying crew, shovelling out tons of money to do his work for him. Genius!!
I have not looked in 2 years, maybe things have changed, but I would bet it is still the same everywhere.
You are paying the fuel, insurance, maintenance, licensing, training, insurance, wages, gear and bait, you bring your own food and drink (other than a sandwich and maybe a beer or pop) and you are the volunteer help reeling in his fish. I know the costs to do this, another member and I looked at buying out Jamie.
I had booked and paid for a trip last time I was there, and when I got to the dock for a half-day trip the Captain was arguing with the customers about their tiny bags of fish. Happily he had engine problems and cancelled my trip with a full refund right there.
The only real good experience I had was fly fishing the flats from a charter boat. The guide was great, unfortunately a front moved in and shut everything down for the day. I missed a GT by about305 seconds, thrilling prospect to have one of those monsters on the line.
I would love to get my boat ferried to Oahu, and set up a Charter business. I would run it the same as they do in BC; YOU keep what YOU catch. Trouble is I bet most days would be booked by me! :shark:
When I move there I will definately have a boat.

(if you ever want to fish warm salt closer)
I just went to LA, San Diego and then into Mexican waters with New Lo An charters out of San Diego in September. The cost for the overnight trip was $210USD per person, 28 people kept 9 tuna each. They charged about $40 to clean and pack the fish for us while we were sailing back from Mexico. Pop, beer, food was all extra but you could take whatever you wanted with you. You take your own gear, or they rent it to you. I can NOT wait to go again.

Ronji
01-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Ken, you are so right on about your post.
Them guys in Oahu are bandits. They could learn some good lessons from the guys in BC.
If you decide to go, do your research.

Ken07AOVette
01-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Ken, you are so right on about your post.
Them guys in Oahu are bandits. They could learn some good lessons from the guys in BC.
If you decide to go, do your research.

Oh, thank you. :)
I was thinking I had to go looking for the asbestos underwear again.

sherwick
01-12-2018, 08:36 AM
thanks for the comments

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Honestly I am surprised (*slightly) that none of the charters have answered this thread. There were guys on here that backed one of them tooth and nail, I would have thought MJC would have signed up and told you how wonderful they are.

Dean2
01-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Ken

Do you know if the deal is the same on the Big Island. I have been doing research on DIY hunting on the Big Island and that seems pretty feasible but you can't hunt every day for a month. I was hoping to get some fishing in too.

Joe Black
01-12-2018, 12:14 PM
dont waste your time or money. will only be frustrating.

the less touristed the island the better the experience gets.

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Ken

Do you know if the deal is the same on the Big Island. I have been doing research on DIY hunting on the Big Island and that seems pretty feasible but you can't hunt every day for a month. I was hoping to get some fishing in too.

I am sorry no, I only ever went to Oahu. And I am totally jealous :jawsmiley::party0052::oregonian_winesmile

regl
01-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Ken check out konahawaiisportsfishing.com Another of the many reasons to visit the Big Island.

ditch donkey
01-12-2018, 08:18 PM
My take on Maui fishing charters.

I used a fishing charter booking agent, no cost to me. Six of us in the boat, lots of room, we each reeled in a 2 pound tuna on a rod capable of winching in a 1000 pound marlin. And that was the extent of our success. That’s fine, that’s fishing.

We got back to the marina, 3 other charters came in, lots of tuna, mahi, and sword fish. Went to the dock a couple days later, same story, the boat I was on had nothing to speak of, the other boats had plenty.

I think there is a bit of collusion among the different charters. They each have their area, and do not infringe on the areas of the others. The fish their spots regardless of whether there are fish there or not. And they wait for the fish to move to their spots, rather than going to the fish. When they catch nothing, they say that’s fishing!

Go to the dock when the boats come in, see who’s catching fish, then book with them!!

densa44
01-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Take lots of what ever you use to prevent sickness. I was off of Maui but Ken's experience is common, they are all members of the same "union".