PDA

View Full Version : 2016 GMC Sierra2500HD 6l transmission problems

Immigrant
01-11-2018, 06:11 PM
When I left work tonight my engine light came on and the transmission would not shift when in "D". It was stuck in 1st gear. I could shift with the "+" and "-". Drove it home because my wife had to leave for work and I had to look after my kids. Will it be OK to drive 20 km to town to the dealer? What could be the issue
Only 14000km on it. Bought new from dealer early 2017. Dealer serviced

Spidey
01-11-2018, 06:19 PM
When I left work tonight my engine light came on and the transmission would not shift when in "D". It was stuck in 1st gear. I could shift with the "+" and "-". Drove it home because my wife had to leave for work and I had to look after my kids. Will it be OK to drive 20 km to town to the dealer? What could be the issue
Only 14000km on it. Bought new from dealer early 2017. Dealer serviced

My previous Chevy Silverado did something like that - turns out it was the TFT sensor, but my truck had a LOT more km on it than yours does. I drove it for a few days like that until I got it into the garage and nothing happened. Make sure your tranny fluid is full. That said, with newer trucks like yours it could be anything causing the CPU to act up.

Ice Fishing Maniac
01-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Should be ok to shift using the buttons I use mine that way quite a bit on the downhills instead of riding the brakes.

Something frozen up for you , it’s all electronic. Never an issue with the same truck in my 2009 and my new 2017

Only issue I had with my 2009 was some component that went and retarded thrbyruck into limp mode. I was 80km from High Level it was cold like it is now. Took me 4 hours to limp into High Level as no tow trucks available. The GM dealer had me up and running the next day

JustBen
01-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Call the dealer. Warranty should allow for a tow.

birdee
01-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Call the dealer. Warranty should allow for a tow.

no warrant due to millage .140k

ATF
01-11-2018, 08:03 PM
no warrant due to millage .140k

He said 14 000. Should have lots of warranty left lol

Bearsden
01-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Should be ok to shift using the buttons I use mine that way quite a bit on the downhills instead of riding the brakes.

Something frozen up for you , it’s all electronic. Never an issue with the same truck in my 2009 and my new 2017

Only issue I had with my 2009 was some component that went and retarded thrbyruck into limp mode. I was 80km from High Level it was cold like it is now. Took me 4 hours to limp into High Level as no tow trucks available. The GM dealer had me up and running the next day

Not wanting to derail but do you know what went wrong? My 2010 sierra just did this me tonight.

Immigrant
01-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Still have plenty warranty, but need to take the kids to school in the morning. Wife won't be back in time. Will stop at the dealer after.
Thanks for all the replies

birdee
01-11-2018, 08:39 PM
ooops my bad put one too many 0's in ya take it for warranty.everything is controlled by the ecu just might need a reflash.there are updates to most of the sensors but will only reflash the ones that are causing the issue.The old adage if its not broken don't fix it

leeelmer
01-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Trany shift motor frozen.
When the shifter was put in d it did not shift all the way. Thus putting check engine light on.
Heat trany up with blow drier or herman nelson heater
Un plug batteries for 5 min(may not have too)
Truck will work again
Known problem in the cold or when lots of ice.
Easy fix.

Immigrant
01-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Trany shift motor frozen.
When the shifter was put in d it did not shift all the way. Thus putting check engine light on.
Heat trany up with blow drier or herman nelson heater
Un plug batteries for 5 min(may not have too)
Truck will work again
Known problem in the cold or when lots of ice.
Easy fix.

Parked it in my heated shop. Will see in the morning and report back.

Ice Fishing Maniac
01-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Not wanting to derail but do you know what went wrong? My 2010 sierra just did this me tonight.

Was a sensor or something like that. It was also hard to start and the dealer said keep it running. It was happening lots to the trucks during a really cold spell. I was also driving in deeper snow with lots of snow dust...don't know if that was part of the problem. I had probably 150K by then on the truck with no issues. The part was in high demand in Alberta during those cold weeks. My local dealer had none in stock. The High Level dealer had one left when my truck went.

gmcmax05
01-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Was a sensor or something like that. It was also hard to start and the dealer said keep it running. It was happening lots to the trucks during a really cold spell. I was also driving in deeper snow with lots of snow dust...don't know if that was part of the problem. I had probably 150K by then on the truck with no issues. The part was in high demand in Alberta during those cold weeks. My local dealer had none in stock. The High Level dealer had one left when my truck went.

Throttle position sensor, 2009-2011 had issues that showed up in cold weather.

Ice Fishing Maniac
01-12-2018, 11:06 AM

That's it.

Immigrant
01-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Update:
It shifted fine this morning. Engine light still on but dealer said he will do a reset later this afternoon.

Dean2
01-12-2018, 11:34 AM
-40 makes vehicles do lots of strange stuff. getting them into a heated garage, car wash bay underground parking etc is a good fix for a number of the problems. Other thing that helps a lot is keep gas line anti-freeze in each tank, and run quality synthetic in engine, tranny, diffs and transfer case.

gtr
01-12-2018, 11:34 AM
This cold weather makes most things slow to perform. Sounds like the warm up cured it.

Who Da Fisherman
01-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Had to do mine at x-mas, $700 because it was past warranty.
It is a known issue and here is the service bulletin, if it has ever acted up take it in and get it fixed before the expiry.
https://www.355nation.net/forum/attachments/service-bulletins/42594d1356105335-service-bulletin-sb-11273-throttle-postion-sensor-csc-10047220-3332.pdf

Cheers
WDF