PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing with little kids

Fisherdan
01-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Wondering what people’s experiences have been fishing with their little ones. I’m a bit mixed with the idea of taking my three year old daughter ice fishing.
I have these grand ideas of father-daughter time, but I’m afraid that my expectations might be a little too far fetched for this age.

What experiences and ideas do fellow AO members have? Any advice or tips that help keep your little ones entertained and engaged?

I have a pop up tent that I think she’ll find really neat. A sled to pull her around too. She caught her first fish at Chain Lakes last summer, and considers herself an expert fisherman already! Lol!

Dewey Cox
01-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Bring a toboggan and hot chocolate.
They lose patience fast.

michaelmicallef
01-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Don't drill a 8 inch hole. They disappear real fast. Joking aside don't plan on staying fishing for too long. Pick a nice day and make the day about a fun experience ( you know mix it up. Macdonalds , tobogganing, snow man etc)not just about ice fishing. Your kid will be hooked for life.

DisplacedCaper
01-11-2018, 10:41 PM
This is the first year I’ll be taking my 3 year old son out. I’ve been ramping him up for weeks about going. I put a dummy fish on a rod in the house and got him “casting” (holds the bail open and it drops to the floor) and he reels it in. He’s pretty excited.
I’ve asked your question a lot since last year and here’s what I’m prepared for, hopefully this weekend or next week I’ll get him out.
1. A short trip
2. Stuff for him to do while waiting (iPad with a movie, some toy trucks, nerf gun that he loves)
3. Gonna try my damndest to get something on for him to reel in. I’m aiming for chain and targeting suckers, they’re usually pretty easy down there.
I’m certain when he gets the rod passed to him with a fish on and he reels in a real fishy he will be hooked! Puns intended.
4. I’m fully prepared to abandon fishing early on and just play on the ice. At least he will be out and have fun and will want to go again:)
Best of luck to ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coiloil37
01-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Both of my boys started coming with me everywhere at 1. That's hunting, fishing and everything else I get into. By waiting until they're three I would of missed a few great years of making memories with them.
I'm not going to suggest anything, your the parent and will know what she's like. You already know how to keep her interested and what type of distractions you might need. I suggest getting her out there with you all the time. They look up to you at that age and it's a great time to teach them things.

Shekka
01-11-2018, 11:12 PM
Took my kids lots when they were young, and now we bring a friends young one out with us.

Make sure there’s a warm drink and plenty of snacks.
A way to heat up hotdogs or sausage is great. Keeps them busy for a bit when bored of fishing.
The sled is a great idea, I usually used a quad or snowmobile for small rides here and there.
The tent is nice for when they need to go in and warm up.
If you have a under water camera they will watch it for ages especially if fish or anything living is around (even the flasher works a bit).
Make sure to bring spare gloves and snow pants and a change of clothes. Things happen. Kids get wet.
I drilled extra holes for them to play with (they always want to fill the hole back in - hence the change of clothes and gloves lol).
Put a rope on your ice scope. Sometimes they drop them down the hole when cleaning their hole back out. Lol
A fire on the ice was always fun for my kids. They loved keeping it going when fishing was slow.
Bank on not doing much fishing yourself. Bring tip ups. Lol
Ice skates and a shovel (if you have them) if there isn’t much snow. My kids really enjoyed it.
Patience. Lots of it. Young ones are always busy, full of questions about everything that’s going on and sometimes cranky. But the time out is well worth it.

- Shekka

squidward
01-11-2018, 11:14 PM
last weekend I took my two year old daughter overnight for burbs and then all day for pike the following day. Thankfully my daughter is easy to keep happy. For us it is simple, lots of warm blankets and a few toys for when she gets distracted. I can usually keep her occupied without the toys for hours and still get a lot of fishing in. She doesn't last long out of the tent and I find she is very volatile quick. If you have an iPad or laptop it can really help to play a movie when they are over tired but restless. That is my experience. She and I have spent a lot of time together in the backwoods across Alberta and BC since she was 6 months old so I am sure those experiences are a big part of why she is so calm for so long.

I say go for it and just get the kiddos out there and build the memories together. You won't regret it. Sure you may have a few busts for trips that weren't up to your standards. Part of it will be for the child to learn and a big part will also be a learning experience for you. The rewards in my eyes outweigh the inconveniences.

Fishfinder
01-12-2018, 06:46 AM
Both of my boys started coming with me everywhere at 1. That's hunting, fishing and everything else I get into. By waiting until they're three I would of missed a few great years of making memories with them.
I'm not going to suggest anything, your the parent and will know what she's like. You already know how to keep her interested and what type of distractions you might need. I suggest getting her out there with you all the time. They look up to you at that age and it's a great time to teach them things.

Glad you didn't miss any memories and lads are still alive. By waiting till 3 would be far too late.:snapoutofit:
I'm not going to suggest anything either.

Hilgy
01-12-2018, 07:33 AM
By for the best thing I have done to keep my kids interested is a camera. When we first started if the snacks were gone they were done. Granted they are older now but they will fish all day if that camera is down there.

nast70
01-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Bring lots for them to do. A few kids were playing soccer on the ice next to me on Spring Sunday.

Sledin
01-12-2018, 08:38 AM
I brought my 3.5, 5 and 7 year olds out last Sunday. More kids is good they can play/fight chase each other.
The fishing was slow, but my 5 year old caught her first two fish which pumped up the other two.
Being in a tent is warm, but boring, I still have it even on plus temperature days.
On Monday they were asking to go again[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raw outdoors
01-12-2018, 08:48 AM
My kids love building a live well in the ice to watch fish swim around for a while before releasing them. They compare the fishies color/ size and different fins. It’s teaches them a bit about the fish we catch.

They like the camera or looking down the hole to see the fish. I am teaching them to use the flasher that keeps the tangles down compared to the camera.

Tigger72
01-13-2018, 09:43 AM
I bring both my boys and they have been going since 3 y/o.
The must haves:
food/snacks/drinks
Ipad/DVD player ( if you have one )
a tent / heater /chairs
underwater camera - they love the camera!!! ( so did the crayfish last trip )
Food/snacks/drinks
I brought a kitty litter box with some grocery bags with a hole cut in the top to use if they needed for a #2.... ( @ 5 & 8 i don't bring that anymore )
toys....
I like the idea of a soccer ball my boys would love that and will bring that next time...
a change of gloves/socks maybe throw some extra foot wear in the truck if you have some....getting cold and wet is a trip ender ( mine tend to stick there gloves in the hole )
snacks .... ( I know.... 3 times I've said this..... its a hint!! )
tip ups so you can all go outside and play and still fish.....
make it fun and like you said be prepared to not stay allllllll day.....
Good luck ... you'll be fine.... start them young.... !! You're already doing something right!!

New2Elk
01-13-2018, 10:07 AM
Lots of good tips here already. Myself, I'd have to second the underwater camera. All the other distractions are good ways to keep the kids entertained but the camera actually keeps them fishing. My daughter loved to watch what was going on underwater and literally spent hours just watching her jig go up and down on the screen when she moved it. Also, you can pick a lake with tons of tiny aggressive perch to start. Not going to catch much if anything to take home but the kids will love actually catching and pulling out fish.

Sundancefisher
01-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Wondering what people’s experiences have been fishing with their little ones. I’m a bit mixed with the idea of taking my three year old daughter ice fishing.
I have these grand ideas of father-daughter time, but I’m afraid that my expectations might be a little too far fetched for this age.

What experiences and ideas do fellow AO members have? Any advice or tips that help keep your little ones entertained and engaged?

I have a pop up tent that I think she’ll find really neat. A sled to pull her around too. She caught her first fish at Chain Lakes last summer, and considers herself an expert fisherman already! Lol!

Pm me. When it's warm we can get you catching perch. First sign of boredom you leave and come again the next time. Snacks. I can provide a used perch trophy that your child can win and after a week it goes on a shelf until the next trip. Kids like action and competition.

My daughter was poking eyes out of perch and baiting hooks and taking off perch at age 4.

TylerThomson
01-13-2018, 05:56 PM
I've been bring both kids since before they could walk.

Bring a blanket or something dry for them to sit on and put out snacks.

If it's warm light a fire and use tip ups so you can run around and play.

If it's colder bring your tent and a underwater camera if you have one. I haven't met a kid yet that doesn't find them mesmerizing.

Go where you know you'll catch.

Bring more snacks

Actually bring all the snacks and hot chocolate you can carry. And a change of clothes and boots.

Fisherdan
01-13-2018, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the great responses... really appreciate it. We went out to Chain today, and had a great time. Didn’t catch anything, but her spirits stayed high and we had fun. She showed great patience for a three year old too. We stayed longer than I thought we would… about 3 hours.

We brought a tea set and a mr potato head that helped. When things started to go sideways, we got out of the tent, built a snowman and decorated it with Mr. potato head parts! The change of clothes, as many of you mentioned, was needed! We stopped for a couple of timbits on the drive there to break things up a bit. And she’s now learned some new fishing lingo: “we got skunked,” as well as “maybe next time.”

I was nervous about how things would go, with it being her first time icefishing. But everything worked out really well. Thanks again.

rasta
01-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Went out yesterday.......7 kids in the group..ages 3 to 7....well we didn't see those kids all day besides feeding times lol the more kids ya bring the better it is for fun like games.....so cool watching them explore:

TylerThomson
01-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the great responses... really appreciate it. We went out to Chain today, and had a great time. Didn’t catch anything, but her spirits stayed high and we had fun. She showed great patience for a three year old too. We stayed longer than I thought we would… about 3 hours.

We brought a tea set and a mr potato head that helped. When things started to go sideways, we got out of the tent, built a snowman and decorated it with Mr. potato head parts! The change of clothes, as many of you mentioned, was needed! We stopped for a couple of timbits on the drive there to break things up a bit. And she’s now learned some new fishing lingo: “we got skunked,” as well as “maybe next time.”

I was nervous about how things would go, with it being her first time icefishing. But everything worked out really well. Thanks again.

Awesome man good for you guys. Nothing wrong with getting skunked as long as you're making memories