PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a new double oven, help

doublehaul
01-12-2018, 10:53 AM
I have read some appliance threads and will avoid LG.

My wife wants a double oven

Please advise me in what to look for

And what to avoid

Thanks

Immigrant
01-12-2018, 11:25 AM
I have read some appliance threads and will avoid LG.

My wife wants a double oven

Please advise me in what to look for

And what to avoid

Thanks

My wife just bought a Samsung. The only difference I see (apart from the drop in my bank account) is a removable tray in the middle separating the top from the bottom. I could have cut her one of those in the shop for $20. But what do I know.....

She researched the hell out of it online. She figured that brand had the least issues. Not sure of the model.

doublehaul
01-12-2018, 11:43 AM
I should post

Flat / glass top I think is preferred

All electric

And where is a good place to buy?

Jamie
01-12-2018, 01:26 PM
I should post

All electric

Oh, you didn't want the double WALL oven? If thats possible, go with that for sure.

nast70
01-12-2018, 02:05 PM
When you find the oven, check the cook top type and make sure your dishes are compatible. Some induction tops are not compatible with all steel cookware. Ask me how I found that out the $$$ way :angry3:

Ice Fishing Maniac
01-12-2018, 03:40 PM
we bought the entire kitchen set in Black Stainless from Samsung 2 years ago. Had to put my boat purchase off a year (bought the boat in April 2017) - Happy wife, happy life !!!

Our unit is the Glass top / double oven unit - works great, she likes to be able to set both at different temps.

She researched the items, found prices thru flyers, went to the local dealer in a small town, got a great deal !!

hilt134
01-12-2018, 03:47 PM
The glass top induction (the non magnetic one?) are good but get ready to be buying cerma bright by the box. They get really greasy and nasty way faster than a coil stove . Also when you spill it pretty well imediatly burns the food on. The convection ovens are awesome way less burning.

dwedmon
01-12-2018, 04:00 PM
The magnetic ones are the induction models and nothing should burn onto them since the cooktop itself remains cool. The plain electric glass cooktops on the other hand are the ones that need the cerma bright, and you will go through that stuff faster than you can imagine.

The glass top induction (the non magnetic one?) are good but get ready to be buying cerma bright by the box. They get really greasy and nasty way faster than a coil stove . Also when you spill it pretty well imediatly burns the food on. The convection ovens are awesome way less burning.

fishead
01-12-2018, 04:41 PM
I have a Bosch induction, the cooktop only gets hot from the pan on it (meaning no burnage). Induction takes you to pro cooktop level and if you cook a lot and want fast easy cleanup this is the ticket. The oven portion is true convection and cooks at least 1/3 faster than traditional.
You do need pans that are magnetic but why buy cheap crappy fry pans anyways

Jerry D
01-12-2018, 06:19 PM
I also have the Samsung double oven with the metal divider.

We like it for heating apps and hosting parties. It's a higher end oven. About 2400? Got it from lowes on sale for about 1500. No tax and free delivery.

With the convection fan and the dehydrator setting I was sold on it as well. A lot nicer than our old coils stove top but if it's not broke don't fix it so I have the old one in storage!

Weedy1
01-12-2018, 07:02 PM
I should post

All electric

Go test shopping at Trail appliances on St. Albert trail. They have a good selection of appliances, some reasonably priced to top of the line insanity pricing. Then cross shop

http://www.trailappliances.com/ab/products/cat/built-in-ovens/all/#/?filter=true&filter-567=DoubleOven&page=1

kingrat
01-12-2018, 11:04 PM
we bought a samsung double oven with induction top about 5 years ago and love it. The induction top is by far my favorite, amazing fast response and boils water crazy fast. And despite my original doubt she actually uses both ovens quite regularly with different temps.

jhfong
01-13-2018, 02:49 AM
Bought a ge electrolux induction srove top, double oven for our vacation home. Just after the 5 year warranty expired, control panel quit working. $2000+ repair. Got about 1 years effective use out of it. Great whenn it works.

omega50
01-13-2018, 07:23 AM
Any glass top surface cannot transfer energy efficiently unless the pan you place on it is absolutely true and flat. Any small deviation will allow it to rock back and forth and create a air gap that will not allow heat transfer.

Aluminum fry pans will scratch the glass and make a huge mess.Cast iron skillets a no-no

Want double oven-Why stop there? -get a AGA.

https://www.agamarvel.com/aga/

gmcmax05
01-13-2018, 10:00 AM
You will probably need 40 amp service to your plug to run both ovens, if you don't already have it. That means stringing new cable if you can.